Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

The tp can have difficulty with WiFi.
    mine had before and still has with the new update.
    whatever it is,its random...

can anyone answer my question as to how long it would take to install that android alpha build ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Does the update uninstall preware and any tweaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

can anyone answer my question as to how long it would take to install that android alpha build ? :)

Pretty straight forward. Just read the instructions through first. Should take about 10 mins. Have a look at the videos here too before you go ahead. Best of luck. It is worth it!

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA2-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭matchthis

Does the update uninstall preware and any tweaks?

didn`t uninstall or undo anything I did through preware

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gonna install the Android beta on my (well, I said "my".. the girlfriend uses it) Touchpad over the weekend methinks..

2 quick questions - apologies if they've been answered already or elsewhere:

1. Can you dual-boot between Android (Alpha) and WebOS easily?
    2. Girlfriend spent weeks getting through Angry Birds.. will her progress be wiped in the install?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Basq wrote: »
    Gonna install the Android beta on my (well, I said "my".. the girlfriend uses it) Touchpad over the weekend methinks..

2 quick questions - apologies if they've been answered already or elsewhere:

1. Can you dual-boot between Android (Alpha) and WebOS easily?
    2. Girlfriend spent weeks getting through Angry Birds.. will her progress be wiped in the install?

Thanks in advance.
    1. Very easily. On boot you can boot Android, WebOS or ClockworkMod recovery using the volume buttons to navigate the menu and home button to select.
    2. WebOS applications won't be affected afaik. Other files like videos, music e.t.c. will be erased however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭djdunny

1. Very easily. On boot you can boot Android, WebOS or ClockworkMod recovery using the volume buttons to navigate the menu and home button to select.
    2. WebOS applications won't be affected afaik. Other files like videos, music e.t.c. will be erased however.

one more question to add to that. is it possible to remove android from the TP if for some reason I didnt want it on there anymore??

djdunny wrote: »
    one more question to add to that. is it possible to remove android from the TP if for some reason I didnt want it on there anymore??
    Yes. They released a package that will undo all the changes made by the installer. It goes without saying that it won't restore the data lost during the original install though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Pretty sure WebDoctor wipes everything with a fresh WebOS install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

my tp has an obsession with wanting to open new cards when I click on a link...how do I change that setting?

Also how do I turn off the autospell on its browser?
    It's changing every 2nd word when it wants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

With regards the webOS undoing preware changes, My private browsing function has disappeared, even though the add on says installed, and my touch ripple has come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Must say that i was very pleased with WebOS and had no major desire to port to Android.... But now that i have tried Android on my TP , i dont think i will ever boot back to WebOs.... Alpha 2 is the business...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Hi, Anyone know where I could get a new charger as mine is broken and any idea of cost.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mcko wrote: »
    Hi, Anyone know where I could get a new charger as mine is broken and any idea of cost.

Thanks
    About €6 delivered here!

Thanks. Just ordered one, couldn't be arsed sifting through ebay myself. :D

mcko wrote: »

Thanks

BTW, just remembered - I found my cable stopped making contact after a little pressure was applied to when charging, it really didn't take much to render it useless.
    The charger is fine, cable no good. I just use it with a different cable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Does anyone know if this charger will charge other micro USB devices such as smartphones, bluetooth headsets etc? If I remember correctly the TP needs a US spec amount of watts or something (see I'm an engineer!!) which is more than we here in Europe normally throw at our devices. As a result when we try charging the TP with a typical EU phone charger it doesn't get enough oomph and warns that it may not be charging (even though it is slowly) so my question is if we use the super charged US spec charger designed for the TP in our other devices will it over charge them or damage them in any way or will it (hopefully) just charge them quicker???

Apologies for the rambling nature of the above, it's been a long day.

Ben

I use it (the original TP charger) to charge my Galaxy S2 every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭djdunny

ok so i have now successfully put Android on my TP. How do i get the android market to show up? sorry for such a stupid question but my head is gonna explode if i read any more of the rootzwiki page.

• On my Android phone you have to enter your Google account details before Android Market appears...might be the same for Android on a Touchpad? :o Just a wild stab in the dark really!

• Advertisement

ok so i have now successfully put Android on my TP. How do i get the android market to show up? sorry for such a stupid question but my head is gonna explode if i read any more of the rootzwiki page.
    1. Download this. Don't unzip the file.

If you installed ClockworkMod recovery continue on to step 2a
    2a. Place the file on your Touchpad using the USB cable and disk storage mode.
    3a. Restart your Touchpad and boot in to ClockworkMod recovery.
    4a. Install zip from sdcard
    5a. Choose zip from sdcard. Scroll down to the gapps....zip file you downloaded earlier and hit the home button to install the package.

If you didn't install ClockworkMod recovery...

2a. Place the file on your Touchpad in the 'cminstall' folder. Make sure there are no other zip files in the folder.
    3a. Restart the tablet in to bootie. That is to say hold volume up while you turn the tablet on. You should end up on a black screen with a white USB logo.
    4a. Connect your USB cable, open the novacom terminal and enter the exact same command that you originally ran to run the ACMEinstaller.

That should cover it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Installed the update and now I havethe Dolphin browser. Have to say it's far superior to the other available browsers.

WIFI sleep issue appears to be cured too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

I am trying to install Android but I am having a heap of trouble trying to run novacom, I have windows 7? anyone here successful with that and how did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

got it working, yay

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Has anyone had any issues with cracks in the casing by the speakers? Mine developed two cracks last week, by the two speakers, and from looking around the net it seems to have happened to a significant amount of touchpads. Must get onto HP during the week and see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

spiderjazz wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues with cracks in the casing by the speakers? Mine developed two cracks last week, by the two speakers, and from looking around the net it seems to have happened to a significant amount of touchpads. Must get onto HP during the week and see what they have to say.

Yeah me too, only just noticed it yesterday when I took it out of the case. One crack by one of the speakers. Pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

spiderjazz wrote: »

When I had my TP I noticed cracks around the Micro USB charger area, they were tiny but were definitely there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Good video on setting up your Android-fied Touchpad, I was looking for a good Facebook & Twitter widget for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Well, for touchpad users, this TouchPad spot might worth a reading, where gathers the tips "HP TouchPad Video Format Supported" "HP TouchPad Specifications(Specs)" "How to Convert DVD to H.264 Video".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi guys, sorry for the 'complete eejit' question but I'm not in the slightest tech savvy!!:rolleyes:

Can someone put a link to a 'Port Android to Touchpad for Dummies' explanation!!:o

I literally don't have a clue where to start but would love to get Android on my TP.

Thank you for any help!:)

Advertisement