Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oohh.. wonder how long til we get a working XBMC / IceFilms running on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Basq wrote: »
    Oohh.. wonder how long til we get a working XBMC / IceFilms running on it?

No need for XBMC on it. There's already some excellent android movie players available. My recommendations are mobo player and mx video player which both work on my touchpad now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

zarquon wrote: »
    No need for XBMC on it. There's already some excellent android movie players available. My recommendations are mobo player and mx video player which both work on my touchpad now :)
    No IceFilms alternative though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Using CyanogenMod now, for an alpha release it's running better than I expected. Will see how it goes over the next few days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's remarkable how good it is. There's a few issues with the WiFi being a bit erratic signal-wise and the browser and market having intermittent issues but besides that it's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

from reading that link it looks like a VERY alpha build and the site discourages people strongly from installing...i think ill wait lol

Worked fine, only small issue was that some apps aren't showing up on the market so I had to install them manually. The Touchpad now offers a menu on boot which defaults to Android so you have to select WebOS if you want to boot that.

All in all, if this is the alpha, can't wait for the finished product :)

Yeah, a lot of apps are marked as incompatible in the market, but that's not a big issue. Tried a couple last night, working well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

opus wrote: »
    Worked fine, only small issue was that some apps aren't showing up on the market so I had to install them manually. The Touchpad now offers a menu on boot which defaults to Android so you have to select WebOS if you want to boot that.

All in all, if this is the alpha, can't wait for the finished product :)
    wow nice. guess they are just covering themselves on the site. sounds great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

you can navigate the options on the boot screen using the up/down volume switch and select using the single front button (the one with neon light).

wow nice. guess they are just covering themselves on the site. sounds great :D

They have to, you know there will be a steady stream of whiners going on about this and that not working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Threw Android on my touchpad, must say it was fairly easy to do by just following all the instructions above. Using MooBoot is every handy aswell, being able to delph in and out of both OS'es, and Clockwork Recovery, overall very impressed even if it is an Alpha, and it will only get better and better with time.

Cant fooking wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Was sideloading apk's for apps i wanted because the market was filtering them out, worked fine but just found an update zip file for fixing this on the cyanogen site, just used clockworkmod to install it, all the market apps are showing up now when you look for them without having to bother with external apk's.

Working great so far!

linky to post with zip file for anyone else who wants to give it a lash - http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port/page323

post #3229 has the link

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Installed it there earlier, very impressed with it so far, running very well for an Alpha release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

FYI, it can/will delete any folders laying around on the root of your /mnt/internal. Ended up losing 20 GB of music and movies. Supposedly the download/downloads folder is shared between OSes and pretty much everything else gets wiped.

There's some kind of workaround for it here, but it's a bit late in my case anyway http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?8017-Prevent-Webos-amp-Android-media-internal-file-delete-upon-reboot-amp-WIFI-Connect

Also, MX Player works pretty well on Android if you change the decoder to software.

• I bought ComicShelf HD today for €1.80!! :D Can I ask a really silly question though.. How do you update apps you've bought? Do you go back into the App catalogue?

I bought ComicShelf HD today for €1.80!! :D Can I ask a really silly question though.. How do you update apps you've bought? Do you go back into the App catalogue?
    In both Android and WebOS you'll get a notification in the status bar telling you there's an update available for your apps.

• Thank you sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

ok I'm going to try android but need to know the following first.
    Doing a reset in the install process deletes everything on it you've done since the start? Ie your tp is the same as the day you bought it ?

does Firefox work? And crucially for me does it work on the android version of the tp with the eircom music hub?
    Currently I can't use that site with the web os browser :(

lastly how long does it take? Do I need to have anything installed like at the start of this thread? My tp hasn't been changed at all since I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Okay, so now that i have Android installed on my touchpad, what are the apps that i need. Bear in mind that i've never used android before

Thanks

Killme00 wrote: »
    Okay, so now that i have Android installed on my touchpad, what are the apps that i need. Bear in mind that i've never used android before

Thanks
    Open up the Android market and have a look around. There's hundreds of thousands to choose from :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Amazingly HP have released an update for WebOS!

As far as I can see, you get a camera app and the ability to pair with non-HP phones via bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

scrolling long pages is much better now, doesn't go side to side like a mad yoke!
    pairs with non webOS phones too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I installed the update this morning, haven't noticed anything else yet but it is a great improvement for the browser.

Previously on some sites, particularly boards.ie, it would load pages completely from cache without checking for changes so navigating to a forum I would get the thread line up from yesterday or whenever it was that I lasted viewed that forum and I would have to refresh the browser to get the current page. That's been completely fixed now so helps improve the experience. I'm still no fan of the HP browser but it is better now.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    I installed the update this morning, haven't noticed anything else yet but it is a great improvement for the browser.

Previously on some sites, particularly boards.ie, it would load pages completely from cache without checking for changes so navigating to a forum I would get the thread line up from yesterday or whenever it was that I lasted viewed that forum and I would have to refresh the browser to get the current page. That's been completely fixed now so helps improve the experience. I'm still no fan of the HP browser but it is better now.

That was a much needed fix, good to see they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

CM have released an updated Alpha version of their Android for touchpad. It is version 2.1 and fixes some of the issues from the first version.
    Headphones now work and some of the sleep issues are resolved

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA2-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

will installing the new web os 3.0.4 have any effects on preware previously installed, or will it effect cm android being installed later, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

anyone selling their's yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

chris1970 wrote: »
    will installing the new web os 3.0.4 have any effects on preware previously installed, or will it effect cm android being installed later, cheers

No it won't affect CM. If you have CM installed you will need to reinstall the moboot bootloader.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

it installed update on its own, all good apart from touchpad not charging on touchstone with case on, faster browser, pre ware needs a few update, in the coming days, Luna module missing, htc s desire syncs with Bluetooth,

after a device restart it now charges with case on, needed to play with position a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone encounter any problems since installing the webOs update?

Twice last night I lost internet connectivity twice and had to re-boot the TP each time to be able to browse the web.

My wifi connection was showing fine, I was upstairs at the time but regularly use the TP in that room and have never had a problem before.

Could be just a coincidence, I've re-booted my router this morning just in case and will post again if I have more problems.

:(

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement