Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Any advice on a decent wireless router that will work well with the touchpad? I have a zyxel wireless - it works fine with my ipod touch, and even my appletv, but I just don't get the speed I want off the touchpad and its just not working for streaming off rte player - tv3 player etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Got one delivered yesterday thanks to the lottery in our employee purchase scheme. I wasn't that pushed but couldn't really say no for the price. The plan is to put it away until Xmas, then let the kids have it and maybe I'll be able to keep a charge in my iPhone.

They'll only want it for youtube, web browsing, watching movies and maybe the odd game depending on what's available.

Question is, although HP have said they're keeping WebOS alive, is there anything I should be doing ASAP? i.e. Apps or resources that may have disappeared by the time the Touchpad sees the light of day again.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Youtube isn't very stable on it, fine if you're watching one video but when you open a channel it begins to stumble and can lock up.
    I've dropped it a few times to go watch on my phone or ancient XP PC instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Somehow missed this before, but you can change the size of the keyboard. Hold down the keyboard button when keyboard is displayed.
    I changed it to xs, and much prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Sorry for being so thick need a bit of help..

I saw someone recommended TouchPlayer over at PreCentral on here, just wondering if I click the link to download it, whilst using my Touchpad, should TouchPlayer download directly onto my TouchPad or are there other steps I need to take?

Or would I just be better off paying the 7 quid to download Kalemsoft direct from the WebOS store?

If I download Kalemsoft from the WebOS store I presume it will install straight away and be good to go?

Also, when I want to transfer movies over via usb from laptop to Touchpad - where can I find the files? Having trouble finding them! :o

Also... the 2 pin charger I got with my Touchpad (in addition to the 3 pin UK/Irish one I got) Is this European or American? I presume European? I bought my Touchpad in Ireland btw. Will be going to Spain next week - so will the 2 pin charger be ok to use to charge it over there, i won't need any additional adaptors will i?

Sorry for the n00n questions..

Thanks for any help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Quick question, got a Touchpad for my missus for xmas but want to upload to it all the photos.
    How do I do this? Can I use a transfer via pc using mini usb, will the touchpad appear as a drive on my laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Fiskar wrote: »
    Quick question, got a Touchpad for my missus for xmas but want to upload to it all the photos.
    How do I do this? Can I use a transfer via pc using mini usb, will the touchpad appear as a drive on my laptop?
    Yes it will. Just add the photos to the DCIM folder.

Fiskar wrote: »

Yes. (micro USB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

Moyglish wrote: »

Also... the 2 pin charger I got with my Touchpad (in addition to the 3 pin UK/Irish one I got) Is this European or American? I presume European? I bought my Touchpad in Ireland btw. Will be going to Spain next week - so will the 2 pin charger be ok to use to charge it over there, i won't need any additional adaptors will i?

Sorry for the n00n questions..

Thanks for any help!
    If it's like this a circular 2 pin,then yes it's european.

If it's flat 2 pin like this one then it's american.

donnacha wrote: »
    Any advice on a decent wireless router that will work well with the touchpad? I have a zyxel wireless - it works fine with my ipod touch, and even my appletv, but I just don't get the speed I want off the touchpad and its just not working for streaming off rte player - tv3 player etc.

anyone with advice on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

anyone with advice on this?

Hi Donnacha,

Maybe a router with Dual Band 'Wireless N' capability would suit you.

I use an apple airport extreme myself, it allows both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections simultaneously, so you could for example connect all your other devices to the 2.4GHz and just your HP touchpad (which has wirelss N capability) to the 5GHz which should provide it with plenty of bandwidth to stream all you want to it.

I am sure there are a lot of other Dual Band Wireless N routers out there, and probably for less money also, maybe do a check on Amazon, I am not pushing the Airport Extreme as your only option, but it's the only one I have personal experience of myself, and have found it to be a very reliable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

hi i got Linksys(cisco) E4200 from klopett for 125€ delivered, has dual band , plus guest network, usb hard disk plugin, does the trick, range better then my dlink dir 635, which it replaced, old house stone walls and dry lined plus, looks cool on wall behind tv, 189 in pc world, recommended, easy to setup, just change 5 and 2.4 ssid names,
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/80001706/Linksys_E4200_Maximum_Performance_Wireless_N/E4200_EW/default.aspx

I use whatever bog standard zyxel comes with magnet, works find on touchpad including streaming video.

phill106 wrote: »
    I use whatever bog standard zyxel comes with magnet, works find on touchpad including streaming video.

no idea why I'm having trouble with mine - its a zyxel p600.

anyhoo been looking around (thx to iPhone and chris1970 for advice) and I'm thinking of investing in a dual band so I can dedicate the 5ghz signal to my appletv and the touchpad. d-link dir-815 seems to have all the bells and whistles and on komplett seem affordable at €68 http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/site/Catalog/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=20068924

anything else I need to be aware off before I purchase?

feck - just realised that dlink dir-815 doesn't have a telephone line connection ... back to the drawing board.

• donnacha wrote: »
    feck - just realised that dlink dir-815 doesn't have a telephone line connection ... back to the drawing board.
    I think you're better off not buying from Komplett anyway mate. Last I heard they had gone to the dogs.

no idea why I'm having trouble with mine - its a zyxel p600.

anyhoo been looking around (thx to iPhone and chris1970 for advice) and I'm thinking of investing in a dual band so I can dedicate the 5ghz signal to my appletv and the touchpad. d-link dir-815 seems to have all the bells and whistles and on komplett seem affordable at €68 http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/site/Catalog/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=20068924

anything else I need to be aware off before I purchase?

just had a look at mine, its a p660hn. I did have awful problems getting my ps3 to work with it though, a problem i will have to come back to later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Anyone selling theirs? (before I purchase an android tablet...)

neacy69 wrote: »
    Anyone selling theirs? (before I purchase an android tablet...)

~€200 seems to be the going rate now. I'd go the extra bit for a Xoom or Transformer.

Donnacha, just check for reviews on whatever model you are thinking of getting to be sure, and also confirm that it can broadcast both freqs simultaneously, some only offer, either or, but you need one that broadcasts both together.

Let us know how u get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

There is an alpha releases of Android for the touchpad for anyone that is brave enough

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port

Cool. Going to give that a go this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Cool. Going to give that a go this evening.

Exciting! I will be watching to see your report:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

from reading that link it looks like a VERY alpha build and the site discourages people strongly from installing...i think ill wait lol

from reading that link it looks like a VERY alpha build and the site discourages people strongly from installing...i think ill wait lol

Even if only the browser (and obviously wifi, keyboard etc.) works I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Exciting stuff. Think I'm gonna wait for a beta release though on this one :)

Installed fine for me. Dual boot working perfectly. Will take it for a test drive later when I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Incredible work by the CM team as usual. Goodbye WebOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Battery drain is quite high but no other issues for me. Had to manually pull some apks from my s2 that are not on the market so i have every app i need.

Advertisement