Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Champions League is just a chore to watch these days. I'm hoping Bayern vs Real is some good & that Munich go through. If Real vs Barca happens it'll be a total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

GTR63 wrote: »
    Champions League is just a chore to watch these days. I'm hoping Bayern vs Real is some good & that Munich go through. If Real vs Barca happens it'll be a total farce.

That game was a bit awful alright. Bayern V Real should be excellent! Two teams I love to watch play, especially Bayern. Would love to see them take on Chelsea:P Barca in Bayern. But would enjoy Real v Barca too. And Chelsea v Mourinho too. Why can't we have two finals??

Jesus still in bits from staying up late Sunday and going into work Monday. Signs getting old! Totally worth it though. Rewatching it all now.

So Mourinho thinks Barca are already in the final. Not exactly rushing to grab myself a tin foil hat & make whistling noises on this conspiracy. While I feel Milan were unlucky on a decision or two & failed to take/create more chances the better team went through. Its not Barca's fault that Uefa got a bee in their bonnet about holding in the box, its done every week in every league but I am a bit bitter that they chose the stage they did to punish us. As usual I expect no consistancy on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Derrick Bateman RT'd my tweet to him,my life is now complete!

@DerrickWWE It's still on TV over here! #BestOnSkySports3at1am
    Retweeted by Derrick Bateman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

GTR63 wrote: »
    So Mourinho thinks Barca are already in the final. Not exactly rushing to grab myself a tin foil hat & make whistling noises on this conspiracy. While I feel Milan were unlucky on a decision or two & failed to take/create more chances the better team went through. Its not Barca's fault that Uefa got a bee in their bonnet about holding in the box, its done every week in every league but I am a bit bitter that they chose the stage they did to punish us. As usual I expect no consistancy on the matter.
    Ah they practically are though, unlikely chelsea will beat them over two legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Ah they practically are though, unlikely chelsea will beat them over two legs.

It was unlikely United would go out in the group stage.
    It was unlikely that Apoel would get to a quarter.
    Lots of unlikely things happen in the Champions League. That's why it's super (apart from games we get like last night)

Everyone got their house parties planned for the biggest drinking night of the year??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its the ****ing drink!

went to Aldi at lunch to buy cheap running gear. The queue's were half way down the shop.

I couldn't figure out why it was so busy considering the shop is open 9am to 9pm tomorrow.

Why can't people go one day without Alcohol?

Will have to go in again tonight on way to the gym instead, hopefully it won't be as busy.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Its the ****ing drink!

went to Aldi at lunch to buy cheap running gear. The queue's were half way down the shop.

I couldn't figure out why it was so busy considering the shop is open 9am to 9pm tomorrow.

Will have to go in again tonight on way to the gym instead, hopefully it won't be as busy.

Yeah went into lidl earlier to pick up a bag of spuds (and Peanut M&M's) the queue was huge yet they still just had one person at the till. I get a pain in my own liver just looking at the amount of Drink some people buy, bootloads of stuff is very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its just bloody ridiculous, its like people are hoarding up in fear of a prohibition law been passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nothing planned for tomorrow but still stocked up on 12 pack of Coronas like it was life-saving medication

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

picture.php?albumid=1165&pictureid=6908

Got my 12 cans in safely,offo was like a madhouse!

Feckin ridiculous still having religious rituals like this foisted upon us in this day and age.

If the god squad don't want to drink on Friday then fair enough,but don't force the rest of us to do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

then fair enough,but don't force the rest of us to do the same!

See, this kinda stuff reminds me how much this country is dependant on something's.
    Like I heard earlier on the local papers Facebook that the government were considering banning certain very high in sugar/fat/salt foods to under 18s and limiting advertising of those foods. I think its a great idea, kids these days are fat and uneducated into the problems that it causes.
    But sonehow there were mothers adamant in saying how it's against freedom of choice and all this BS.

No one is stopping anyone from drinking tomorrow, it's just the public houses won't be open and if people can't get over that it does nothing but highlights the issue.

Pubs and off sales won't be open tomorrow,so if you forgot to buy beer or whatever today then you would be stopped from drinking,because it's against the law to sell alcohol on good Friday.All because of a law made in 1962 for a religious ritual that not everyone believes in.

If the god squad don't want to drink on Friday then fair enough,but don't force the rest of us to do the same!

You have several hundred days to prepare for Good Thursday. You can even drink your purchased alcohol on Good Friday. Just because you can't head over to the offy on impulse doesn't stop you from drinking. There's always the sly pubs that open regardless.

Always think people get over-dramatic about Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Booked a room for the night. hotels=beer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The problem isnt that you cant buy alcohol on the day, it's the fact that it still enforced. It doesnt make any sense. What about people of other religions? "Oh you want to drink today? Well, thats your problem isnt it? You should believe in the same religion as the state."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Because they haven't discovered Pro Wrestling yet and thus are sub-consciously left with an empty void to fill in their lives.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The problem isnt that you cant buy alcohol on the day, it's the fact that it still enforced. It doesnt make any sense. What about people of other religions? "Oh you want to drink today? Well, thats your problem isnt it? You should believe in the same religion as the state."

Plenty of time to prepare though. I'm not a big Catholic guy either but it's one day that's hyped up all week so you can't miss it. Just requires preparation and let's be honest here, there's an element of laziness veiled in the "ARGH CATHOLIC" sentiments.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Why can't people go one day without Alcohol

It's all relative. People *can* go one day without a drink; but since it's a steadfast rule that you *can't* have something on a particular day, you want it. Just conditioning; like going to a store right before it closes or lending a mate a wrestling DVD u haven't seen & didn't intend on seeing!

Like I don't ever really think about drinking, but suddenly when you're saying I can't, i'm thinking about going to the offie and buying alcohol. But then I remember i generally don't drink so....lol

• Advertisement

Shouldn't even have to prepare though,that's the point.

The state shouldn't be enforcing religious based laws in this day and age.

Yeah, it's a very odd one. Didn't it used to always be "no meat on fridays" then it got scaled back to just very certain ones? Listen it's all lip service, just drop the pretense.

Maybe the government keeps it up because it actually drives up alcohol sales, people who wouldn't have drank are more inclined to because they "can't" :confused:

Is that no meat on Friday thing still going?

Remember we were always told to lie to my auld granny about not eating meat for on Friday's if she asked when we were kids!

Any of ye lads know any software that increases the audio volume on MP4 and AVI files?

Charisteas wrote: »
    Any of ye lads know any software that increases the audio volume on MP4 and AVI files?
    Did you try the button marked "+" under "volume"? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maybe I should say, can people not go one day without buying Alcohol?

Why could they not buy it last weekend or whenever rather than going mad today.

Even though I don't drink I do agree its a stupid law. No government should force any business to stop trading a product that is legal pretty much the rest of the year.

The meat thing is gas all together. I know the missus will make me go to mcdonalds so she can but a big mac or chicken legend tomorrow. She eats Fish maybe three times a week as it is so its not like she doesn't want to have fish.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Did you try the button marked "+" under "volume"? :pac:

Yeah my volume is at 100%, VLC media player is at 100%, yet it's just not loud enough.

play it on your xbox or what have you and turn up the volume there?

the alternative gets into muxxing/editing separate audio files and is a bit difficult to do.

Like you could convert the mp4 into a .wav file, open it up in audacity, select the whole file, and increase the volume like 3-400%. Then convert it back to .mp3 audio. if u had mkvmerge you could put the original mp4 and the .mp3 together into one file. told u it was nerdy!

Charisteas wrote: »
    Yeah my volume is at 100%, VLC media player is at 100%, yet it's just not loud enough.
    My VLC goes up to 400% :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shouldn't even have to prepare though,that's the point.

I remember a few years ago when I was in college, my father found out I ate meat on Good Friday. He started ranting and raving about why the college was even serving meat. He couldn't understand it, even after I explained that a) not everyone is a Catholic, b) not everyone who is a Catholic decides to not eat meat on Good Friday, c) not everyone in the college is even Irish as there were several Chinese students who might not even know what Good Friday is, and d) the college is not run by the church and tries not to promote any one religion over the other.

Couldn't understand it.

Condoms are sold throughout the country. Unmarried couples are living in sin throughout the country. Why should rituals about Good Friday be adhered to? It's a choice and one which doesn't even apply to everyone in the country. Why should there be a law about it?

Don't want to drink on Good Friday because of your religion? Don't. But others shouldn't have that choice taken away from them or barriers like having to buy beer in advance put in place. That's why people want to drink on Good Friday, because they don't agree with the reasons why the choice is taken away from you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement