Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

So who would have thought Golden Discs would outlive HMV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

rovert wrote: »
    So who would have thought Golden Discs would outlive HMV?

Was only in there today and they seemed to have stepped their game up actually. Lots of boxsets at reasonable enough prices and plenty of people buying stuff in there.

I never thought they'd outlive HMV though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Why can`t it be Gamestop I hate them and their prices are a complete joke.
    Looks like all my purchases will be on Adverts now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

There well no place left to buy rock cds now if hmv go. I hate golden disk. well the one in athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

although they might not buy/rent the specific premiseses, I can see CeX using this as an opportunity to expand beyond their single shop on Liffey Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Whats this about HMV?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

CMpunked wrote: »
    Whats this about HMV?!

Apparantly going into administration tomorrow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Pity the staff have to find this out the same way as everyone else. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. Just glad it didn't happen this time last year when I was getting excited about jetting off to Miami for WM.

I guess the writing was on the wall when the new ceo (who came from the now defunct jessops) thought that selling popcorn for £2.75 when you can get it next door for 99p would keep us afloat. Not to mention the new pink uniforms!

Ah well, hopefully some other mug will but the company and set about rearranging the deck chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Can see someone buying HMV in fairness. Probably will be job cuts though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Apparantly going into administration tomorrow:(

Sad times, they are quite the institution.

Makes sense now when I keep enquiring about inception and the dark knight rises on dvd and keep getting told not yet.
    I seriously hope they stay in business and just scale back a bit. Like they have 230 something stores in the UK (some have 2 in little small northern towns, one in a retail park another in a shopping center, no reason as to why!) Nuke half of them anyway.

The staff in the Drogheda store are bloody excellent and wouldn't like to think for a moment that I wont see some of them literally on a daily basis. :(

• Advertisement

To temper the "buying music and DVDs remember that lol?" talk:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/300-irish-jobs-at-risk-as-retailer-hmv-reported-to-be-entering-administration-3353623.html

For those in Dublin of the male persuasion the HMV store was the essential "I'll be in" card when faced with a female lead endless parade of clothes and shoes shops on Grafton St or Dundrum or Liffey Valley or wherever.

Y+u+no.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

For those in Dublin of the male persuasion the HMV store was the essential "I'll be in" card when faced with a female lead endless parade of clothes and shoes shops on Grafton St or Dundrum or Liffey Valley or wherever.

yeah, there's no real reason for blokes to ever set foot in Dundrum Town Centre anymore (except maybe the eye candy).

yeah, there's no real reason for blokes to ever set foot in Dundrum Town Centre anymore (except maybe the eye candy).

I've legit about 20 minutes on my energy bar in those places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

I've legit about 20 minutes on my energy bar in those places.

me speak english good

:p

Anyway, anyone with gift cards for HMV (like myself) get in and use them up soon id say. Dont end up like the few unfortunates left with a worthless piece of plastic after Virgin Megastore went under.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Without sounding like a vulture, does this mean their stock will be going cheap soon? Or is a takeover/continuation under new ownership likely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

For those that didnt hear, play.com is also shutting down in march, and renting out their warehouses for the marketplace companies apparently, prob for zOverstocks and the like.

Amazon is chewing up and spitting out these music and media stores by the month.

Without sounding like a vulture, does this mean their stock will be going cheap soon? Or is a takeover/continuation under new ownership likely?
    cartoon-vulture-9.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I doubt it. They cant compete with Amazon any more. They will prob retrieve most their stock and continue to sell online with the HMV website maybe, such as the short lived Zavvi stores did. they might have a closing down sale, but I doubt it will be 75% off everything like we'd hope.

HMV has been badly managed in the past (well documented tbh) but this wasn't helped the government in the UK, letting internet companies get away with paying virtually zero tax. How can a high street store with overheads compete with a website that doesn't have to pay tax, such as Amazon. It was an inevitability for years.
    I enjoyed working for HMV many years ago, nice enviroment.

Times are changing fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Tinie wrote: »
    For those that didnt hear, play.com is also shutting down in march, and renting out their warehouses for the marketplace companies apparently, prob for zOverstocks and the like.

Amazon is chewing up and spitting out these music and media stores by the month.

My only concern is that Amazon will slowly start to increase prices now that some of the bigger competitors are starting to fall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tinie wrote: »
    How can a high street store with overheads compete with a website that doesn't have to pay tax, such as Amazon. It was an inevitability for years.

Times are changing fellas

I know Amazon would have had a big impact (God knows everything I buy comes from online stores now).

But I reckon Internet piracy is a far bigger problem for stores like HMV nowadays. People don't buy music all the much, be it from Amazon, iTunes or whatever. It's so easy to pirate stuff that it was always going to hit shops hard. (Not that I condone piracy, of course).

At least there's a lot of legal online options nowadays though; Netflix has saved me a fortune in recent months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Shame really as this affects local economies and towns/cities. Will only lead to more people shopping online and the decline of retail shopping but of course all this is understandable as goods are undoubtedly cheaper online however I think we are heading down a bad track both economically and socially in the long run as we become more detached as communities and continue to spend money on foreign companies.

I hate the idea of doing all my Christmas shopping for example online and waiting for it to be delivered like a moron hoping it gets delivered before the weekend. Just hope HMV open long enough for me to get the Spiderman animated series boxset. Really want to pick up that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

GTR63 wrote: »
    I hate the idea of doing all my Christmas shopping for example online and waiting for it to be delivered like a moron hoping it gets delivered before the weekend. Just hope HMV open long enough for me to get the Spiderman animated series boxset. Really want to pick up that.

Which animated series? Nineties version?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Which animated series? Nineties version?

which else?
    Oh wait there was a so bad its kinda good old one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There was an older series, the 90s series, then the CG one that came out to tie into the movie(think it aired on MTV), then there was Spectacular Spiderman which was cancelled when the rights reverted to Disney and now we have Ultimate Spiderman.

Think there was a 2099 Spidey as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

GTR63 wrote: »
    which else?
    Oh wait there was a so bad its kinda good old one too.

Loved watching that at the weekend when I was younger, especially the one where Spidey had to assemble a group of heroes to take on a group of villains. I hated the Human Torch in that episode though because he was always causing problems.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Anyone remember the Sherman show that used brought on Sky 1 waaay back when it began to be aired first?Early 90's. It wasn't animated and used be on Friday nights. Loved it at the time but I bet it was awful in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree that Amazon and Netflix are as much of a cause of HMV going under as illegal downloads. For all the sh*t thrown at HMV for being the cause independent music and dvd shops had to close, it was inevitable HMV would suffer the same fate as legal downloads, streaming and online stores became more prominent.

Either way, I'm bringing a trolley to a closing down sale.

I would miss HMV though. I know they get a bad rap for overcharging etc, but for games and most new release DVDs I've always found them to be pretty decent on price. Cheaper than Gamestop for games and cheaper than Xtravision for new dvds. Plus they always have some good sales deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

The beginning of the end for HMV was when they banned their staff from having long hair and showing their tats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Charisteas wrote: »
    The beginning of the end for HMV was when they banned their staff from having long hair and showing their tats.

If Gamestop tried that they'd have about 3 employees left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement