Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Guys, I sound so stupid right now but anyway:

I got my Business Mock today and got an 92.25% (an A1) my Teacher told me outside of the class whilst I was helping her bring the envelopes to the class. I actually nearly started crying! Business has been my favourite subject since the start of 5th year and to know that my hard work has paid off with it, I just feel soooo happy! Never been so happy about anything in school!

Have currently 430 points out of 5 subjects, hoping to get a B2 in English so if I did i'd be at 510 points!! Flipping ecstatic right now!!

*Sorry if i'm boasting, i'm just over the moon!

That's fantastic! You're right too, you fully deserve that result if you've been working for it. Don't get complacent now:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Well done PictureFrame!

The mother got a letter saying I wasn't in Economics on Tuesday, yet I tweeted about it during it. :/

Ah well. Mock results give me 370, so I've LOADS of room to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Congrats PictureFrame! I could only dream of those results in the really thing :rolleyes:

Well thank god it's the weekend. Today was one of those days where EVERYTHING annoys you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Well done PictureFrame!

The mother got a letter saying I wasn't in Economics on Tuesday, yet I tweeted about it during it. :/

Ah well. Mock results give me 370, so I've LOADS of room to improve.
    Congrats to you also! Eww, I would hate to have an Economics teacher.. I way prefer doing it myself, it's like your own personal challenge!

Nothing gave me the satisfaction of finding my Career 'guidance' teacher after I got my Economics mock. She told me it was impossible to even pass a HL Subject teaching yourself without grinds, the smile was surely wiped off her face when I knocked on her door beaming with an A2 (87%).. The worst thing is an A1 would have been so achieveable if I had read my last question correctly. I lost 15 marks in it because I went off on a tangent about an unrelated topic! I would have gotten 91%! Awh well, I won't make that mistake in June I tell you! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

The Irish Independent broke my hard today with the news of a surge of applicants going for computer science courses. There's a 44% rise in applications for computer science at UCD lads, I don't think I'll be able to get in if the points go up 40 or 50 points, the worst of it is that they're be people who'll quit out because it won't be as easy as they though :(

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/latest-news/cao-surge-in-student-demand-for-science-computing-and-agriculture-courses-3045032.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

There's the rise, yeah, but that's people who put it in their entire CAO, not people who have it number one. Just work your hardest, you'll get something!

I'm really worried about the points rise in general. Between the bonus points for Maths and the uk students applying because of their course fees going up, I haven't a hope!! :(

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I'm really worried about the points rise in general. Between the bonus points for Maths and the uk students applying because of their course fees going up, I haven't a hope!! :(
    Think positive! It's the only way to go! What is it you want to do?

The Irish Independent broke my hard today with the news of a surge of applicants going for computer science courses. There's a 44% rise in applications for computer science at UCD lads, I don't think I'll be able to get in if the points go up 40 or 50 points, the worst of it is that they're be people who'll quit out because it won't be as easy as they though :(

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/latest-news/cao-surge-in-student-demand-for-science-computing-and-agriculture-courses-3045032.html

That is a problem in computer science, some people only do it because it had such low points without realising how difficult it can be.

I dunno, I'm welcoming the challenge, I'm going to do science anyway so I suppose higher points makes it look better:p

I know that's an awful thing of me to say though! So listen, anyone worried about a surge in points, try not to be thinking of just reaching the mark, just breaking the barrier. Do as well as you possibly can do. And just because the points may be slightly higher than first budgeted for doesn't mean you give up now it means you work harder and make it happen. Nothing is meant to be served on a plate to you, but you can achieve anything you work hard enough at.

I'm worried too. Law is gone up hugely in some places, Trinity is up 25% and UCD is up 5%. I dunno what's happened in Galway though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm worried too. Law is gone up hugely in some places, Trinity is up 25% and UCD is up 5%. I dunno what's happened in Galway though.

Balls.

Namlub wrote: »
    Balls.

Sorry! I would have been trying Law and Politics, and that thing can't go up much higher...can it? Regular law there won't be too high though, I'd reckon. Most people just apply for the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Guys, I sound so stupid right now but anyway:

I got my Business Mock today and got an 92.25% (an A1) my Teacher told me outside of the class whilst I was helping her bring the envelopes to the class. I actually nearly started crying! Business has been my favourite subject since the start of 5th year and to know that my hard work has paid off with it, I just feel soooo happy! Never been so happy about anything in school!

Have currently 430 points out of 5 subjects, hoping to get a B2 in English so if I did i'd be at 510 points!! Flipping ecstatic right now!!

*Sorry if i'm boasting, i'm just over the moon!

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Well I don't mean stupid in the literal sense, just in the way that I got really emotional with a school result! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Well I don't mean stupid in the literal sense, just in the way that I got really emotional with a school result! :cool:

I know, I was joking! :P Well done on your fantastic results though, particularly business, its marking scheme is horrendously strict!

I know, I was joking! :P Well done on your fantastic results though, particularly business, its marking scheme is horrendously strict!
    Awh thank you! I'm well chuffed, I went through my script and actually did see an extra 12 marks not added up but I didn't want to seem like a total pri** in front of people who had worked equally as hard but ended up with C2/C3's as they kinda freaked out on the day! The way I look at it, I can't go up a grade in it. I got the maximum 100 points, but now the pressure is seriously on to retain it! And an A1 would come be handy in terms of points too! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Sorry! I would have been trying Law and Politics, and that thing can't go up much higher...can it? Regular law there won't be too high though, I'd reckon. Most people just apply for the name.

Yeah, Law and Politics is even higher than Law and French o_O Ugh, I don't even know what I want to do anymore tbh

Awh thank you! I'm well chuffed, I went through my script and actually did see an extra 12 marks not added up but I didn't want to seem like a total pri** in front of people who had worked equally as hard but ended up with C2/C3's as they kinda freaked out on the day! The way I look at it, I can't go up a grade in it. I got the maximum 100 points, but now the pressure is seriously on to retain it! And an A1 would come be handy in terms of points too! :P

I don't usually go through my exams that much afterwards, happy with them more often than not. But in the case of physics I wasn't going to let 6 good marks be wasted that weren't counted, got me a C1:p
    Still shíte though!:(

I got 89% in business, so close, yet completely satisfied at the same time.

Think positive! It's the only way to go! What is it you want to do?

Well I have occupational therapy and human nutrition 1 and 2, but I haven't a hope of getting those. I'd love to do them but I'd only get them if things go really unexpectedly well :P
    Nursings next, and I would love to do that :) if I don't get it I don't really have any back ups :/ I've applied for plcs, but I haven't been accepted yet. Plus with the ones I've applied for I'll need to go to England for further study :( and Mammys not too happy at the thought of a plc for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Got into the Dun Laoghaire Animal Care PLC! Pretty pleased, glad I have another option for August now.

• Advertisement

Got into the Dun Laoghaire Animal Care PLC! Pretty pleased, glad I have another option for August now.
    Well done!

I just did my first ever Kinsella essay and got 6.5 pages out of memory! :O I think i'm beginning to like him! :P

Also just counted up my Geography project and it's 48 words below the maximum 1000! Delighted! :D

Now onwards to learn my stuff for my French document! :/ the thoughts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Mam is very reluctant about paying for my accommodation, even though I've been certain which course I want for months, and already have the points for it. :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

I just did my first ever Kinsella essay and got 6.5 pages out of memory! :O I think i'm beginning to like him! :P

I started Kinsella this week and I'm enjoying learning about his poetry, I find it's simple enough but there's plenty to write about. Wouldn't mind him coming up in June :P

So I found out today that my 3d vision is practically gone, so there's no point in me going to 3d films or the like. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

So I found out today that my 3d vision is practically gone, so there's no point in me going to 3d films or the like. Great.

People can lose 3D vision and not sight overall? :confused:
    Is that like if you lose sight in one eye?

subz3r0 wrote: »
    People can lose 3D vision and not sight overall? :confused:
    Is that like if you lose sight in one eye?

I really couldn't tell you! Like I see normally, but when the optician was asking could I see things coming out of the screen I couldn't :( I've developed a coping mechanism or something that's why I can see normally, I nearly lost my full 3d vision as a child though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Can't feckin' wait for the Leaving Cert to be over! Summer, please hurry up. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

movies never go 3d for me, always wondered if there was a reason!

so jealous of all you guys' mock results :( all i have back is my B1 in english which i'm over the moon with and hoping to improve on (:)) but i think i got my A in french - on the other hand i feel like i failed maths and got a C in business if im lucky, its only because i need to do exam q's more and i realize that now but even still :(

also my laptop is absolutely ruuuuined idk what happened to it, wont even start up and cant fix itself :eek: maybe its a hint! haha, so yeah, ill talk to yiz in a while i guess but ill make it on to post my mock results like all the rest of yas :P

Ok, so guys I want to get an A2 in English or possibly bump it up to an A1 in the Leaving if possible. I feel all of the course if fine, apart from Hamlet. I hate it. The story itself is fine, it's just the questions that come up tend to be very specific, and i'm so worried I won't be able to answer the question on the day! I'm planning on (or hoping to :rolleyes:) learn the following for it, do you think it's too much or have I left anything majorly important out? Let me know as i'm so confused about it at the minute!
    • Theme of Appearance VS. Reality
    • Theme of Love
    • Importance of Soliloquys
    • Imagery and Symbolism in the Play
    • Character of Hamlet
    • Character of Polonious
    • Character of Horatio
    • Character of Ophelia
    • Character of Gertrude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

^^ Character of Claudius!