Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

_Bella_ wrote: »
    ^^ Character of Claudius!
    He was on last year though! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Trinity accommodation bookings start tomorrow everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

• Theme of Appearance VS. Reality
    • Theme of Love
    • Importance of Soliloquys
    • Imagery and Symbolism in the Play
    • Character of Hamlet
    • Character of Polonious
    • Character of Horatio
    • Character of Ophelia
    • Character of Gertrude

I think Horatio is too minor to come up on his own. Did he ever come up before?
    Also, what about the role of women overall in Hamlet?
    And of course, deception ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Ok, so guys I want to get an A2 in English or possibly bump it up to an A1 in the Leaving if possible. I feel all of the course if fine, apart from Hamlet. I hate it. The story itself is fine, it's just the questions that come up tend to be very specific, and i'm so worried I won't be able to answer the question on the day! I'm planning on (or hoping to :rolleyes:) learn the following for it, do you think it's too much or have I left anything majorly important out? Let me know as i'm so confused about it at the minute!
    • Theme of Appearance VS. Reality
    • Theme of Love
    • Importance of Soliloquys
    • Imagery and Symbolism in the Play
    • Character of Hamlet
    • Character of Polonious
    • Character of Horatio
    • Character of Ophelia
    • Character of Gertrude

Do you mean like learn off by heart the full 4/5 page essays?

Oh, I'd probably replace Ophelia and Gertrude with women in general. I'd include Hamlet's appeal to the modern audience and also "The character of Hamlet changes from reflective to active. Discuss".

subz3r0 wrote: »
    I think Horatio is too minor to come up on his own. Did he ever come up before?
    Also, what about the role of women overall in Hamlet?
    And of course, deception ;)

I know Laertes came up in the Pre last year so he could like!

Deception- Could you not morph Appearance VS. Reality for that one? That's what I did for the Mock anyway!
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Do you mean like learn off by heart the full 4/5 page essays?

Oh, I'd probably replace Ophelia and Gertrude with women in general. I'd include Hamlet's appeal to the modern audience and also "The character of Hamlet changes from reflective to active. Discuss".

Well maybe bits and pieces, not full essays though. Ok, I could do the Women in one general answer and then just bulk it up if it came to it, Hamlet's appeal as in the character itself or the actual play? The one about Hamlet's change could be incoporated in his Character could it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I know Laertes came up in the Pre last year so he could like!

Deception- Could you not morph Appearance VS. Reality for that one? That's what I did for the Mock anyway!

Well maybe bits and pieces, not full essays though. Ok, I could do the Women in one general answer and then just bulk it up if it came to it, Hamlet's appeal as in the character itself or the actual play? The one about Hamlet's change could be incoporated in his Character could it?

The appeal of the actual play, it came up in the leaving cert. a couple of years ago i think. Hmm I'm not sure it's kinda about how Hamlet was a man of reflection and then after the boat trip he transformed into a man of action, now determined to exact his revenge on Claudius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Trinity accommodation bookings start tomorrow everyone :)

I thought you couldn't book for Halls until you received your place in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Am I the only one who just cannot study if their room is even the slightest bit messy? I was meant to start my homework at 1 but I've just been cleaning! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Woohoo my farmer just needs to answer a few more questions and then my Ag Science project is done!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Lads, how do you make yourself study? I really need to start doing a few hours every day now if I'm to have any hope of reaching my targets. I'm aiming for four a day during the week and six a day on weekends but so far I've managed two hours a couple of days last week and zero hours so far this weekend.

I'm trying to get into a good routine it's just so easy to continue with my bad habits of being lazy all the time! :o

Any advice? It's not about getting the course for me, I just want to get the best grades I can get.

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    Lads, how do you make yourself study? I really need to start doing a few hours every day now if I'm to have any hope of reaching my targets. I'm aiming for four a day during the week and six a day on weekends but so far I've managed two hours a couple of days last week and zero hours so far this weekend.

I'm trying to get into a good routine it's just so easy to continue with my bad habits of being lazy all the time! :o

Any advice? It's not about getting the course for me, I just want to get the best grades I can get.

I'm the exact same! I'm just so tired all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really cannot wait for Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Yeah I need to know how to do this too. I've been looking up new phones for the last 2 hours, when I don't even need one. (mmm Samsung Galaxy S2)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really cannot wait for Summer
    Was there a point you wanted to make, Couer?!

I'm really really really not sure we got it!! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm not awfully bothered about what results I get. Once I drag my lazy áss over the line into Mary I, I'll be a happy camper :o each to their own sure :)

Was there a point you wanted to make, Couer?!

I'm really really really not sure we got it!! :p:D
    Oh haw haw! :P
    13spanner wrote: »
    I'm not awfully bothered about what results I get. Once I drag my lazy áss over the line into Mary I, I'll be a happy camper :o each to their own sure :)

I'm the same as Togepi, my course is only 340 but I want to get around 420. My mocks however were woeful, I got around 300 overall, I have lots of work to do :(

CHEMISTRY STUDENTS: In question one can they only ask you Redox or acid-base titrations or are there other titrations on the course that they can ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm the same as Togepi, my course is only 340 but I want to get around 420. My mocks however were woeful, I got around 300 overall, I have lots of work to do :(
    I'm almost in exactly the same boat as you. My course is 390, so I'm aiming at 420+ in the Leaving to be safe. Even though I haven't all the mocks back yet, I'm expecting to end up with 300-350 :( the only grade I really want is a B3 in HL Irish, just to prove to my teacher I could get the B :D

13spanner wrote: »
    I'm almost in exactly the same boat as you. My course is 390, so I'm aiming at 420+ in the Leaving to be safe. Even though I haven't all the mocks back yet, I'm expecting to end up with 300-350 :( the only grade I really want is a B3 in HL Irish, just to prove to my teacher I could get the B :D

I haven't gotten all of mine back either! I have 5 of them back and I failed one, I've 200 points so far. Still have to get English and Business back, so I should get just a little over 300. I got a D1 in HL Irish :( So pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

So tired between yesterday and today, my body's in bits!

My course was 380 last year, I just kind of want to get one or two hundred more than that - at least 500 anyway. I could actually do it if I studied properly for the whole year but at this stage me getting 500 points or more is looking very unlikely. :( Once all my mocks are back I'll probably have about 380. (I wouldn't even mind that so much but I did better than that in last year's mocks!)

• Advertisement

I need 450, love to get 540! Got 510 in the Mocks so hope its achieveable! Some of the mocks were kinda easy though I thought!

Going on last years points I'd need 420, I got 435/440 depending on what my Irish teacher marks the oral out of (she has a bit of a weird system going on!) To be safe I'd need 450, but I kind of want around the 470 mark for my own personal thingy :) I'd be delighted with 450 though!

Coeur judging by the table in the exam papers that's what they seem to ask on question 1. Not too sure if it's exclusive or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

I need 450, love to get 540! Got 510 in the Mocks so hope its achieveable! Some of the mocks were kinda easy though I thought!

tumblr_ldp3yyI6tu1qb9a2wo1_500.png

tumblr_ldp3yyI6tu1qb9a2wo1_500.png

I'm kinda confused! :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

He was on last year though! :/

Well I personally wouldn't rule him out, Ruairi Quinn has been going on all year about making the leaving cert less predictable. They also like combining Hamlet and Claudius but obviously it is up to you.

I got 525 in the mocks but I need 585 to be sure of my course so a lot of work is required!

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Well I personally wouldn't rule him out, Ruairi Quinn has been going on all year about making the leaving cert less predictable. They also like combining Hamlet and Claudius but obviously it is up to you.

I got 525 in the mocks but I need 585 to be sure of my course so a lot of work is required!
    Yeah I suppose he'd be worth a look through anyway! I can't mess up with English especially, it's one that I need an A in! And I think my Teacher would be disgusted if I fell from an A2 in the Mock to a B in the Leaving. Although this could easily happen! :/.. DAMN LEAVING CERT. WHY YOU SO DIFFICULT??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Yeah I suppose he'd be worth a look through anyway! I can't mess up with English especially, it's one that I need an A in! And I think my Teacher would be disgusted if I fell from an A2 in the Mock to a B in the Leaving. Although this could easily happen! :/.. DAMN LEAVING CERT. WHY YOU SO DIFFICULT??

Your course is only 450 I thought? I don't see why anyone would really put themselves under extra pressure to get way more than they actually need? :confused:

M&S* wrote: »
    Your course is only 450 I thought? I don't see why anyone would really put themselves under extra pressure to get way more than they actually need? :confused:

I'm going for way more points than I need on the off-chance that I change my mind before the age of 23 and want to do something with higher points. I'm fairly indecisive, so that could easily happen.

M&S* wrote: »
    It is 450 but if I get 500 I get a Scholarship for NUIM. And to be totally honest, I want to get over 500 just to know I did! I probably sound ridiculously pretentious or whatever, but i'd just love to get 540+.

Like i've got into a steady study pattern for the last 2 years, so there's no point in breaking it the last 3 months just because I got 60 points over what I need in the Mocks. It's only less than 3 months, I just wanna keep going so I know i've achieved everything I could and not regret getting lazy the last 2 months because of solid mock results and end up getting 500 or something less than the actual mocks. I think that'd just be a kick in the teeth tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Cn the sraithpictiur be in the past tense?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement