Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Cian A wrote: »
    I picked up a book off my shelf today, one of many I've been given over the years, and it was the first I've read in years. Only a small and insignificant thing but it's my small achievement for the day:)
    Strange feeling, reading. Previously I've done all my reading on the internet but lacking that I found that a book was the next best thing. It was a wonderful feeling, enlightening and insightful, there's so much I've probably missed out on.

I know I'm babbling on about something as insignificant as reading a book but it's a small thing for me to be proud of right now:o
    What did you read? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

So I was sitting there revising some Biology. And I thought to myself "Nobody's home.. Why am I doing this?" And here I am, back in bed :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

went to do my irish essay...i have everything with me except the sheets on sport :confused:
    ah well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It's about how circumstance, opportunity and luck all factor in the search for success in all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Guys how long should a Comparative Question be? We were given this one for the weekend

"Narrative Techniques add to the appeal of story-telling: Discuss" - LG

I wrote 7 pages in an hour and 5 minutes (what it says on the exam paper to write for). I actually have noo idea how long a Comparative Answer is suppose to be, so can anyone please give me an idea of how long I shoud be writing? The teacher is useless and the Mock is on Tuesday so am desperate for some advice. Thanks.

P.S : My writing is about average size about 8 words per line!

Thanks a million guys, your life savers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

7 pages?! :eek: I do around 4 and a half, 5 at most! Its all you need. :)

yeah I tend to do 4/5 pages also, our teacher said at least an a4 on each text :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    7 pages?! :eek: I do around 4 and a half, 5 at most! Its all you need. :)
    Thanks a million! :D.. Yep I did 7 and a bit, I had memorised a load of notes about Literary Genre though so I had them fresh in my mind! :)

Thanks, here's hoping Literary Genre appears on the Mocks then! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Irish paper 1 and Maths paper 1 tomorrow. Have done no study as in literally nothing. The worst part? I couldn't actually give a fúck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I picked up a book off my shelf today, one of many I've been given over the years, and it was the first I've read in years. Only a small and insignificant thing but it's my small achievement for the day:)
    Strange feeling, reading. Previously I've done all my reading on the internet but lacking that I found that a book was the next best thing. It was a wonderful feeling, enlightening and insightful, there's so much I've probably missed out on.

I know I'm babbling on about something as insignificant as reading a book but it's a small thing for me to be proud of right now:o

I'm unbelievably proud of you :D
    now read the hunger games while your at it ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Irish paper 1 and Maths paper 1 tomorrow. Have done no study as in literally nothing. The worst part? I couldn't actually give a fúck.
    No point studying and running the risk of burning out this early is my (somewhat twisted) logic :)
    Tbh I'm more worried about what to write for the yearbook tomorrow than I am about the mocks :pac:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It's about how circumstance, opportunity and luck all factor in the search for success in all walks of life.
    Any good?

Joey. wrote: »
    No point studying and running the risk of burning out this early is my (somewhat twisted) logic :)
    Tbh I'm more worried about what to write for the yearbook tomorrow than I am about the mocks :pac:

where do you see yourself 10 years from now ?
    still repeating the leaving if i keep up this no study ethic :eek:
    sorry the questions for the yearbook are really hard to answer :O describe yourself in 3 words like :O

Have maths paper 1 tomorrow too, and irish isn't even a test lad :D Paper 1 is just aural and an aiste :) You'll be grand

I'm unbelievably proud of you :D
    now read the hunger games while your at it ;):D
    Now that I've got this momentum and all:D
    Any good?
    Tbh if it was anything I'd probably say it was good, I'm finding this one to be brilliant though, a real eye opener. It does make you feel a bit small in the world though.

Tbh if it was anything I'd probably say it was good, I'm finding this one to be brilliant though, a real eye opener. It does make you feel a bit small in the world though.
    Ahh right, read I Am Legend, a book among books :D Though it came out in 1954 :pac:

i'm actually begging you to read those books though , really they are amazing :D
    so one last time please please read them :P :) now that your in a reading mood and all :) :P
    ha that book sounds really good btw , i may read it :O :) just finished another series and dont know what to read now, even though i have plenty of books on my shelf that i've yet to read :( ..... readers block you could call it :eek:

Last week I had so much motivation to study and do well, today I couldn't give a fiddlers about even doing homework :(

i'm actually begging you to read those books though , really they are amazing :D
    so one last time please please read them :P :) now that your in a reading mood and all :) :P
    ha that book sounds really good btw , i may read it :O :) just finished another series and dont know what to read now, even though i have plenty of books on my shelf that i've yet to read :( ..... readers block you could call it :eek:

I have this collection of books on my shelf that I've never read, I've bought a few myself but they were mostly Christmas and Birthday gifts from relatives, they know that I'm smart so they assume I'm the reading type:o.

I haven't paid for my mocks yet so I'm considering just avoiding paying until Thursday when they begin and then not showing up for them, I'm seriously not in the mood for exams right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I have this collection of books on my shelf that I've never read, I've bought a few myself but they were mostly Christmas and Birthday gifts from relatives, they know that I'm smart so they assume I'm the reading type:o.

I haven't paid for my mocks yet so I'm considering just avoiding paying until Thursday when they begin and then not showing up for them, I'm seriously not in the mood for exams right now!

Have you been diagnosed with AIDS or something? You've been off for a couple of weeks now, it's weird!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I really liked that book until the end, I'm not sure if you've finished it but it ends up being about Gladwell and his Jamaican granny or something? Weird way to end it, was left confused.

haha :) do you know a few of the titles ? give me some inspiration of what to read next ? :o:)
    haha you poor dear :( any bit better ? feel really bad for you :(
    i'm in same boat as yourself still sick , aurals tomorrow and cant hear outta one ear cause its blocked up :( taking drops and nothing :( havent studied and its all getting a tad worrying

haha :) do you know a few of the titles ? give me some inspiration of what to read next ? :o:)
    haha you poor dear :( any bit better ? feel really bad for you :(
    i'm in same boat as yourself still sick , aurals tomorrow and cant hear outta one ear cause its blocked up :( taking drops and nothing :( havent studied and its all getting a tad worrying

Off the top of my head there's a few fantasy novels I haven't read [Orcs, Runemarks, Wicked Lovely] One I read a couple years ago called Inkheart was quite good.

There's a novel I read the half of last winter called Skippy Dies by Paul Murray I think, set in Blackrock College which is just down the road from my school so there's lots of references to the local landmarks. Anyway that was a good read from a student's perspective, must finish that one sometime.
    Superbus wrote: »
    I really liked that book until the end, I'm not sure if you've finished it but it ends up being about Gladwell and his Jamaican granny or something? Weird way to end it, was left confused.
    I haven't finished it yet, I read the first 200/300 last night so I'll get around to finishing it tonight. I did prefer the first half of the book though in comparison to the second so far.

Have you been diagnosed with AIDS or something? You've been off for a couple of weeks now, it's weird!
    Not quite:D I know it's weird, this thread is a lot quieter than it used to be and I feel partially responsible for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

There's a novel I read the half of last winter called Skippy Dies by Paul Murray I think, set in Blackrock College which is just down the road from my school so there's lots of references to the local landmarks. Anyway that was a good read from a student's perspective, must finish that one sometime.!

Just thought I'd jump in :D but do! Skippy Dies was one of the most amazing books I've read in years, should be compulsory for all 16 year olds :p Malcolm Gladwell is great also. Try 'Blink' aswell!

Mocks tomorrow. Awkward moment when you have Paper 2 English tomorrow and realise you can't find your Hamlet anywhere... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I am so, so so screwed. For maths, I haven't been to class since december. For business, I have no exam papers. For biology, haven't been since september, so I'm relying on the fact that I'm repeating and I've already done this to get me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

where do you see yourself 10 years from now ?
    still repeating the leaving if i keep up this no study ethic :eek:
    sorry the questions for the yearbook are really hard to answer :O describe yourself in 3 words like :O
    Aren't they? :/ there are some good ones but so hard to answer!
    most memorable moment...probably the strike in 4th year :L

Off the top of my head there's a few fantasy novels I haven't read [Orcs, Runemarks, Wicked Lovely] One I read a couple years ago called Inkheart was quite good.

There's a novel I read the half of last winter called Skippy Dies by Paul Murray I think, set in Blackrock College which is just down the road from my school so there's lots of references to the local landmarks. Anyway that was a good read from a student's perspective, must finish that one sometime.
    Inkheart :) ah i've wanted to read that for a while :) but forgotten to buy it :) merci :) and i like the sound of Skippy Dies :) i remember you telling me about it before :) its on my must read list now thanks :D
    Aren't they? :/ there are some good ones but so hard to answer!
    most memorable moment...probably the strike in 4th year :L
    i know !!! what you gonna say about the school property one? :O
    most memorable moment is hard :O have so many like ... 4th year strike was hillarious... i honestly have to say though the shennanigans we have got up to in 6th year have so far beaten them all :L :P
    oh the motto just has to be " Be a radiator not a drain" :P

cloud493 wrote: »
    I am so, so so screwed. For maths, I haven't been to class since december. For business, I have no exam papers. For biology, haven't been since september, so I'm relying on the fact that I'm repeating and I've already done this to get me through.
    Yeah the amount of stuff to learn on the biology course is mad :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I think you'll find it is in fact set in 'Seabrook College' - important distinction...

Though the author MAY have gone to Blackrock.

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    'So proud of myself, just learned the whole biology course in a weekend'
    No you didn't -.-
    Have me biology mock on Thursday :eek: Hate the way you need to know the experiments on it :( There's like 30 important chapters on it already :pac: I'm screwed ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement