Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

fxotoole wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the Roanoke Colony (aka the Lost Colony) is a headscratcher:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

The latest season of American horror story is about the Roanoke colony

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

HenryHill wrote: »
    The latest season of American horror story is about the Roanoke colony

OT I know, but that was deadly! Creepy as hell, not one I'd watch on my own right before bed.

On topic, I wouldn't say it's my "favourite" mystery because it's so sad, but the Trevor Deely case is one that I'd really love to see solved, purely so his poor family can get some closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Toots wrote: »
    OT I know, but that was deadly! Creepy as hell, not one I'd watch on my own right before bed.

On topic, I wouldn't say it's my "favourite" mystery because it's so sad, but the Trevor Deely case is one that I'd really love to see solved, purely so his poor family can get some closure.

Any case about a missing person gets to me. People don't vanish into thin air. What happened to all those people who went missing and were never found? Someone out there knows something after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

KKkitty wrote: »
    Any case about a missing person gets to me. People don't vanish into thin air. What happened to all those people who went missing and were never found? Someone out there knows something after all.
    Not necessarily. Many could have fallen into rivers, off cliffs, into the sea etc.
    I remember seeing somewhere that Trevor Deely could have fallen into the canal. If that is true he could have got washed out to further parts or trapped under reeds and gone unnoticed. Horrible to think, but it is possible and not anyone might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I never thought the Roanoke Colony was particularly mysterious.
    They were a group of English people dumped in the middle of the American wilderness.
    They were then left alone for 3 years to fend for themselves. A hell of a lot can happen in that time period.
    Most likely explanation is they fled the area as they didn't have the skills to survive on their own and sought refuge with local tribes.
    They carved Croat in a tree after all and some local Croat tribe members had the last names of the colonists.

But like most of these "Mysteries", someone watches a TV show and comes to the conclusion it was definitely ghosts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Suckit wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Many could have fallen into rivers, off cliffs, into the sea etc.
    I remember seeing somewhere that Trevor Deely could have fallen into the canal. If that is true he could have got washed out to further parts or trapped under reeds and gone unnoticed. Horrible to think, but it is possible and not anyone might know.

I thought I read somewhere that his mobile phone was still ringing 'after' his disappearance, until the battery died. That to me does not suggest that he fell into the canal - water contact would have fried the phone. I think hit and run with body dumped somewhere remote might be a possibility. It was a terrible night, poor visibility, taxi strike, lots of christmas parties on... someone driving when they shouldn't have.
    Against that, I do find it suspicious though that several of the different people seen on CCTV did not come forward.. I'd have expected a higher response rate given the publicity. Suggests something to hide.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Who the hell is Derek :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For me it would have to be the long island serial killer.

Mainly because it's so recent and he's still not been caught and apparantly stopped.. Also that evidence points towards someone high up in the NYPD.

The girl going missing which led to the bodies been found on the beach is still baffling.

Good podcast on the unresolved account also great docs on YouTube and CI on demand.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fxotoole wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the Roanoke Colony (aka the Lost Colony) is a headscratcher:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

Very likely they just wound up on Croatoan Island, right next to it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html
    What he probably didn't expect was for the colony to just vanish. When new settlers finally arrived, none of the original colony remained at the settlement (except for the old skeleton of one guy) and the mysterious word "Croatan" was carved into a tree, right under, "Metallica Rules".

So, was it a UFO abduction? Perhaps the colonists were held in some kind of suspended animation and are still being anally probed to this very day.

The Obvious Answer:

That second group of settlers didn't really get the chance to investigate what happened to the original bunch, because a few years later an even bigger mysterious phenomena occurred: Blue-eyed, pale-complexioned Indians began showing up on nearby Croatan Island.

So what to make of these mysterious children, who looked like they might have been the descendents of white/Indian mixed race parents? On CROATAN island?

It's almost as if, we don't know, a certain group of settlers realized their colony sucked, and went and found some natives nearby who seemed to know how to live off the land. And that they then left their ****ty colony forever to go live happily ever after on Croatan Island, and to have impressive amounts of sex with the natives.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Has anyone done a DNA test on the locals ?

Setting up colonies is a risky business, get it wrong people start dying. Sooner or later there'd be a colony where everyone dies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme
    After just eight months, the colony was abandoned in July 1699, except for six men who were too weak to move. The deaths continued on the ships, and only 300 of the 1200 settlers survived
    After negotiations, the Scots were allowed to leave with their guns, and the colony was abandoned for the last time. Only a handful of those from the second expedition returned to Scotland.[16] Of the total 2500 settlers that set off, just a few hundred survived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

unable to post a link but I watched a documentary the other night about the severed feet still in their shoes that washed up near Vancouver in 2008. I think seven feet altogether, five of which were right feet and two were left feet which matched up with two of the right. they weren't all washed up at the same time but over the course of 2008/2009. despite dna from the feet being compared with relatives of hundreds of missing people, to date no matches have been made. would be grateful if somebody could post a link. it truly is a mystery!

unable to post a link but I watched a documentary the other night about the severed feet still in their shoes that washed up near Vancouver in 2008. I think seven feet altogether, five of which were right feet and two were left feet which matched up with two of the right. they weren't all washed up at the same time but over the course of 2008/2009. despite dna from the feet being compared with relatives of hundreds of missing people, to date no matches have been made. would be grateful if somebody could post a link. it truly is a mystery!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea_human_foot_discoveries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭The White Feather

A very sad one.

The Allenstown Murders.A woman and 3 kids found all bashed in the head, wrapped in bags, put into barrels and buried in the woods 30 years ago.

Who were they and why were they killed???

Details at this link with new facial mapping to show what they looked like.

Wiki here
    Grayson wrote: »
    That is freaky as fcuk.

I know this is an unsolved thread but there is an update to this one that actually was posted by me before Christmas! Everyone surely loves an update like I do!

Police think they have finally solved it.They think it was a serial killer called Bob Evans who died in prison in 2010.

He looks the picture of sanity......

bob-evans.jpg?w=420&h=236

The full link is here and loads of details match up such as the bodies tied with electrical wire and he was an electrician and he killed by blunt force trauma and chopped others up.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 cheekojuls

Not a widely known case, but Jennifer Kesse is missing 11 years this week.

Very sad case

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

cheekojuls wrote: »
    Not a widely known case, but Jennifer Kesse is missing 11 years this week.

Very sad case

For anyone interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Jennifer_Kesse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Lindbergh baby is one I have always wondered about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

For me it has to be Mallory and Irvine and whether they ever reached the top of Everest almost 25 years before Hillary and Norgay.

I've just finished reading a few books about the expeditions and they really are fascinating.The fact that these climbed 8000+ meter mountains in little more than tweed suits and boots with nails hammered through the soles shows the strength and determination they had.

They even found Mallory's body at 27000 feet.

It's mad to think that they may have made it well before Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Hellrazer wrote: »
    For me it has to be Mallory and Irvine and whether they ever reached the top of Everest almost 25 years before Hillary and Norgay.

I've just finished reading a few books about the expeditions and they really are fascinating.The fact that these climbed 8000+ meter mountains in little more than tweed suits and boots with nails hammered through the soles shows the strength and determination they had.

They even found Mallory's body at 27000 feet.

It's mad to think that they may have made it well before Hillary.

I've just spent the last while reading this account of what the author thinks happened. He was one of the 1999 expedition which found Mallory's remains and believes they made it to the summit.

Author Tom Holzel thinks they didn't.

It's hard to know what to think; there are holes in both theories, I think. Some are holding out hope of finding Irvine's body and a camera he had with him, but I can't imagine the film would have any chance of being usable. Not sure the mystery can be solved.

twill wrote: »
    I've just spent the last while reading this account of what the author thinks happened. He was one of the 1999 expedition which found Mallory's remains and believes they made it to the summit.

Author Tom Holzel thinks they didn't.

It's hard to know what to think; there are holes in both theories, I think. Some are holding out hope of finding Irvine's body and a camera he had with him, but I can't imagine the film would have any chance of being usable. Not sure the mystery can be solved.

I would have thought so too, but:

"Experts from Kodak have said that if a camera is ever found, there is some chance that its film could be developed to produce printable images, if extraordinary measures are taken, and have provided guidance as to handling of such a camera and the film inside, in the event that such were found in the investigation"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Jack the Ripper. Anything from Royalty to an American.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Latest indicators from several news outlets, like The Washington Post say the Citizen Sleuths researcher group has ;) "narrowed it down" :rolleyes: to a Boeing employee (ya think?!) who wore a black tie to work and they are asking for the publics help... think topmanamillion :) already figured that out Sleuthy Citizens.
    "D.B Cooper" got on the plane and walked straight off when it landed.

Given the non-existent nature of airline security that was in effect at the time the individual that gave the alias Dan Cooper could have simply purchased a ticket for flight 305 at an earlier point in time. He may have purchased the first ticket disguised and under a different assumed name. He then checked-in under that name at the gate. He subsequently returned to the ticket counter without the disguise and purchased the second ticket and provided the name Dan Cooper. Once the he had checked in at the gate for a second time he would have been entered twice, under two different aliases, on flight 305’s passenger manifest and also in possession of two boarding passes for that same flight. A mere $20 in additional expense would have accomplished both of the necessary adjustments in the passenger count; a cost far less than that of involving additional people in the plot. The on-board head count would be easily obscured by a participating member of the crew.

The man on the far left is Bill Rataczak Co-Pilot on the D.B Cooper flight.

tumblr_mdyjvyomfA1r5yoejo1_1280.jpg

Below is a sketch of D.B Cooper based on eye witness accounts.

DBCooper.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Crop Circles

what if they are just silly otherworldly teenagers, bored from being cooped up in the old parents UFO so they 'borrow' the family hoverjet late at nite to do some freewheeling donuts on yonder plantation.

or... alien graffiti artists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

B00! wrote: »
    Crop Circles

what if they are just silly otherworldly teenagers, bored from being cooped up in the old parents UFO so they 'borrow' the family hoverjet late at nite to do some freewheeling donuts on yonder plantation.

or... alien graffiti artists

An interstellar version of this?
    http://www.southernstar.ie/News/Why-do-they-want-to-run-rings-around-our-roads-08092014.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PBS are showing
    Who Killed Lindbergh's Baby? Today 12:15 – 13:20
    NOVA: Revealing new evidence about the 1932 kidnapping and death of 20-month-old Charles Lindbergh Jr, featuring compelling evidence that the man who was electrocuted for the murder did not act alone.

Freesat 156

Again when it comes to murder there is no mystery that those involved will usually hide the evidence.

B00! wrote: »
    Crop Circles
    Fact
    They stopped during the foot and mouth epidemic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'd put up with him if I could get some sleep.

He sounds quite helpful..guiding people to the payment desk is not so bad. I mean, you want to get out of shopping centres as fast as humanly possible, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Fact
    They stopped during the foot and mouth epidemic.

Ah sure the Aliens respected not spreading it around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

reading a book about the Tour de France at the moment "A race for Madmen" and came across this story I thought it was really interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottavio_Bottecchia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Okay so this isn't an unsolved mystery anymore...

... but the abduction of 11-year old Jacob Wetterling in October 1989 remained unsolved for nearly 27 years.

The Wikipedia page is here, but far more interesting and worthwhile to read is the comprehensive investigation from journalists at APM Reports.

APM Reports have made a podcast called In The Dark about the child abduction (I'm currently halfway through listening to it and it's fascinating).

I'm on the last episode of In the Dark now and must say it is hugely interesting listening. The police really have some serious questions to answer. Bit of a time investment - 10 x 30/40 minute episodes, but well worth it - ideal listening for a commute. It's somewhat in the vein of Making a Murderer but, IMHO, better. Highly recommended!

Advertisement