Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

dont know if this has been mentioned on here yet but just watched this. probably one of my favourite unsolved ones

Depp wrote: »

dont know if this has been mentioned on here yet but just watched this. probably one of my favourite unsolved ones

Wasn't he caught in Portugal last year? But the Portuguese refused to extradite him, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wasn't he caught in Portugal last year? But the Portuguese refused to extradite him, I think.

D B Cooper was??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

D B Cooper was??

I doubt it ............ that would be a BIG news story!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That was a really weird story. I think there was a credible report in recent years which suggested he had a son who found out this his Dad was the guy they were looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

ligerdub wrote: »
    That was a really weird story. I think there was a credible report in recent years which suggested he had a son who found out this his Dad was the guy they were looking for.

D.B. Cooper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Stigura wrote: »
    D.B. Cooper?

Yeah him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

"D.B Cooper" got on the plane and walked straight off when it landed.

Given the non-existent nature of airline security that was in effect at the time the individual that gave the alias Dan Cooper could have simply purchased a ticket for flight 305 at an earlier point in time. He may have purchased the first ticket disguised and under a different assumed name. He then checked-in under that name at the gate. He subsequently returned to the ticket counter without the disguise and purchased the second ticket and provided the name Dan Cooper. Once the he had checked in at the gate for a second time he would have been entered twice, under two different aliases, on flight 305’s passenger manifest and also in possession of two boarding passes for that same flight. A mere $20 in additional expense would have accomplished both of the necessary adjustments in the passenger count; a cost far less than that of involving additional people in the plot. The on-board head count would be easily obscured by a participating member of the crew.

The man on the far left is Bill Rataczak Co-Pilot on the D.B Cooper flight.

tumblr_mdyjvyomfA1r5yoejo1_1280.jpg

Below is a sketch of D.B Cooper based on eye witness accounts.

DBCooper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

"D.B Cooper" got on the plane and walked straight off when it landed.

Given the non-existent nature of airline security that was in effect at the time the individual that gave the alias Dan Cooper could have simply purchased a ticket for flight 305 at an earlier point in time. He may have purchased the first ticket disguised and under a different assumed name. He then checked-in under that name at the gate. He subsequently returned to the ticket counter without the disguise and purchased the second ticket and provided the name Dan Cooper. Once the he had checked in at the gate for a second time he would have been entered twice, under two different aliases, on flight 305’s passenger manifest and also in possession of two boarding passes for that same flight. A mere $20 in additional expense would have accomplished both of the necessary adjustments in the passenger count; a cost far less than that of involving additional people in the plot. The on-board head count would be easily obscured by a participating member of the crew.

tumblr_mdyjvyomfA1r5yoejo1_1280.jpg

DBCooper.jpg

You saying that people think the co-pilot was Cooper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

:eek::eek::eek: F**king Hell!!! Ye gotta be kidding me! How the F**k have I never seen That stuff before?

Really leaves no room for doubt. Does it?!

• Advertisement

And the guy in the middle was Jim Garner from The Rockford Files...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I would really think the guy was a Richard McCoy.He looks like that sketch and the fact he was caught later doing the exact same type of hijacking.

He looks very like the sketch...

DBCooper.jpg

Richard_McCoy,_Jr..jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_McCoy_Jr.

But then they say he might have had an alibi so maybe not!

They did find some of the money in 1980 so maybe the guy didn't survive.
    In 1978, a placard containing instructions for lowering the aft stairs of a 727 was found by a deer hunter east of Castle Rock, Cowlitz County, which was within the basic flight path of the plane Cooper jumped from, according to the FBI and news reports.

Then, in February 1980, an 8-year-old boy found three packets of weather-damaged cash, totaling more than $5,000, southwest of the town of Ariel. The money was confirmed to be from the ransom cash, and its discovery prompted speculation that Cooper may not have survived the jump.
    FBI said they have closed the case and are not searching anymore

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/case-closed-fbi-no-longer-looking-for-db-cooper/

If you want to go further down the rabbit hole then this article has 8 theories!

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-8-most-intriguing-theories-about-skyjacker-d-b-coo-1699652025

The whole thing was an elaborate con that took advantage of the many weaknesses in air travel at the time.
    Who better to take advantage than poorly paid cabin crew and their co pilot?

If you read some of the first hand accounts by the stewardess passing notes to the pilot from a "man" sipping whiskey at the back of the plane, it gets comical to say the least.

The flight attendants description of the bomb is also straight out of a movies/cartoons:
    “It was 6 sticks of dynamite wrapped around a battery.” Road runner anyone?

D.B also had a lot of knowledge of the plane and gave specific instructions about how various mechanisms should be deployed.

Also, the bundle of bills that were found a couple of years later seems like a plant. The perpetrators probably realised very quickly that all the bills were traceable and hence useless. (They had hoped that the speed that they asked for the money would mean the FBI wouldn't have time to record serial numbers).So burning a few up and placing them by a creek could only increase the legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

The whole thing was an elaborate con that took advantage of the many weaknesses in air travel at the time.
    Who better to take advantage than poorly paid cabin crew and their co pilot?

If you read some of the first hand accounts by the stewardess passing notes to the pilot from a "man" sipping whiskey at the back of the plane, it gets comical to say the least.

The flight attendants description of the bomb is also straight out of a movies/cartoons:
    “It was 6 sticks of dynamite wrapped around a battery.” Road runner anyone?

D.B also had a lot of knowledge of the plane and gave specific instructions about how various mechanisms should be deployed.

Also, the bundle of bills that were found a couple of years later seems like a plant. The perpetrators probably realised very quickly that all the bills were traceable and hence useless. (They had hoped that the speed that they asked for the money would mean the FBI wouldn't have time to record serial numbers).So burning a few up and placing them by a creek could only increase the legend.

havent seen this theory before, so many possible permutations in this case it can really take you down the rabbit hole!

Depp wrote: »
    havent seen this theory before, so many possible permutations in this case it can really take you down the rabbit hole!

I`m surprised. I don't claim to be the first one to point the finger at the crew. It`s the most plausible explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Unless the whole lot of them were in on it, its highly unlikely.Very hard to keep everything like that under wraps with all the crew involved.FBI are not morons surely that would be checked first.

2 flight attendants and a ticketing attendant (who wasn't on the plane I think)all gave similar descriptions of the same guy.Add in the cabin crew then that's a very large conspiracy.

They said when they were all the cockpit the pressure dropped and the light went on and off then on again. This was for the steps on the back of the plane.Light was on as they were down. They think when he jumped off the end, the stairs bounced up so light went off, then when they fell down the light went on again.

As a few said this, they either were all making it up and in on a conspiracy or it is what happened. They were all in there so someone else had to have made the pressure drop.

Although I would have to say it is possible they were all in it so maybe!

Just saw this today on the news too which is weird as we are just discussing it here too.

They found particles on his tie clip left behind that suggests he worked in a Boeing plant for a good while.It may get solved yet!!

http://www.king5.com/news/crime/new-evidence-was-db-cooper-boeing-employee/385924766

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4121146/Did-D-B-Cooper-work-BOEING-New-analysis-hijacker-s-necktie-reveals-super-rare-particles-used-plane-manufacturer-thrilling-discovery-reopen-one-America-s-mystifying-cases.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I love the DB Cooper story. I love to think that he jumped out the back of the plane and then used some Fringe-esque device to do a mid-air jump to alternate universe and disappear from our universe; alas the simplest answer is always the most likely. He probably froze to death and didn't survive jumping out of the plane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I thought DB Cooper ended up in Fox River with Michael Scofield.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Read the full thread. DB Cooper and Dyatlov are fascinating but for me the Peter Bergmann case is the most mysterious/amazing.

At a time when so much of our movements and interactions are captured digitally this guy walks into Sligo a ghost and dies leaving little to no footprint behind.

Maybe better investigative work could have uncovered more information about him and his movements but perhaps the circumstances of his death preclude such an investment of resources.

So many questions unanswered. Chief among them being why Sligo!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

9-11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The strange death of Tamam Shud https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Did Ivabigwun really have a big one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Did Ivabigwun really have a big one?

I read it as he had a bi gwun!?

Always wondered what a gwun was, thats my mystery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The strange death of Tamam Shud https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case
    I liked that and Oak island. But TV ruined both for me.
    The curse of Oak Island is drawn out and the whole series so far could be compressed into an hour or less without the crap. But i am (as a result of the show) convinced that there is nothing there. It is all on mainland Nova Scotia. There has been a lot found in the past year. I also believe Nolan's Cross points at something (like the 'original' stone cross that got destroyed.).

As for the "Tamam Shud" - again "Ruined" :P by TV.
    I think it is pretty conclusive today (Even without the DNA) that he was Robins Father.
    Whether or not Jessica and himself were Spies is another matter, and seeing as Women prefer to use Poison (Especially true back then), and she had links..
    Or he decided to end it himself..

My guess is she used the same book she had used before to seduce or to show.
    Then convinced him to hire the car that day, and went out with him and maybe poisoned him in the car, as she did not want him around her new family.
    But it does not explain the missing piece found 6 or 7 months later sewn into his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What happened to Kym Owens? The Monaghan student was badly injured in Dublin in November and is still in a coma.
    Guards have no idea what happened.
    She may have had a fall, Been hit by a car, Attacked. No one knows.
    Seeing as she suffered severe head injuries i wouldn't hold at any hope of her being able to tell what happened, if/when she regains consciousness.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-have-no-suspects-or-witnesses-in-kym-owens-case-1.2931996

It didn't make the news as much as the Kym Owens case but just over a week ago three young American girls were walking towards a bus stop near the Fitzpatrick Hotel in Killeny (around 5:30am) when two guys approached them, one of which forcefully pushed one of the girls so hard that she smashed her face off the pavement knocking out some of her teeth.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-saw-a-shadow-then-i-had-some-teeth-knocked-out-young-us-woman-on-violent-robbery-in-south-dublin-35364717.html

Some really fcuking bastards out there. Sadly they'll probably never find who is responsible for either assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the Roanoke Colony (aka the Lost Colony) is a headscratcher:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

How will Trump drain the swamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

fxotoole wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the Roanoke Colony (aka the Lost Colony) is a headscratcher:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

There's an interesting enough "What you missed in History class" podcast about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

There's an interesting enough "What you missed in History class" podcast about that.

One theory is that the Melungeons are the descendants of the Roanoke colony.

The more one delves into the ethnicity of various races the more fascinating the whole concept becomes.

Advertisement