Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

bangkok wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

another one i remember from a while ago... actually scary reading it, knowing what was happening in their last moments or what it was that killed them

Saw the movie about that.
    Unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    I always found this interesting. Crazy that they presumed he spotted his reflection in the water while flying upside-down.

yea to this day it is unresolved.

there was a photo taken at the time by some guy taking a picture of sunset or something and a black object was in the picture.

another family noticed a green light beside the plane before it went out of their sight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

bear1 wrote:
    I always found this story very interesting.

So have I. An extraordinary case. What was the motive for such a brutal act?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

omega man wrote: »
    The thinking sideways podcast is worth a listen if you're into mysteries. They've covered all the famous ones and many lessor known ones too.

Thank you for the recommendation. Are there other podcasts along these lines worth listening to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭omega man

oneilla wrote: »
    Thank you for the recommendation. Are there other podcasts along these lines worth listening to?

"Unexplained" is very good. Not near as many podcasts and a bit out there but excellent imo. A bit more sophisticated than thinking sideways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did you know

a lot of murderers try to hide evidence :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Has stayed in my thoughts ever since the first time I read about it many years ago.

3 young kids myself and can't imagine what the parents went through. They're very old now and will likely meet their death never knowing. Absolutely off the scale tragedy.

I agree. Im not big on faith or jesus but i really hope they find peace and meet their kids in the afterlife if there is one. Shocking case.

chicorytip wrote: »
    So have I. An extraordinary case. What was the motive for such a brutal act?

They think it might be related to his Iraqi past but I'm skeptical.
    Why kill the cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

bear1 wrote: »
    They think it might be related to his Iraqi past but I'm skeptical.
    Why kill the cyclist?

Cyclist worked in the nuclear industry, and the British-Iraqi guy worked on nuclear/satellite technology, so they may have worked together on something possibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Not sure if it fits in here, but why all the conspiracy theories surrounding the Newtown Sandyhook school murders and Adam Lanza?
    Is it based mostly around the crime scene footage and photos not being released?

• Advertisement

Lackey wrote: »
    Not sure if it fits in here, but why all the conspiracy theories surrounding the Newtown Sandyhook school murders and Adam Lanza?
    Is it based mostly around the crime scene footage and photos not being released?
    Based on people having way too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

people love conspiracy theories. Connecticut doesnt allow the publication of any photos involving a homicide. If i was the parents of one of the kids killed i'm sure i wouldnt want a picture of their dead bodied plastered all over the internet for the edification of the curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

"Unexplained" is very good. Not near as many podcasts and a bit out there but excellent imo. A bit more sophisticated than thinking sideways.

Unexplained is great - Lore can be interesting too.

people love conspiracy theories. Connecticut doesnt allow the publication of any photos involving a homicide. If i was the parents of one of the kids killed i'm sure i wouldnt want a picture of their dead bodied plastered all over the internet for the edification of the curious.

Oh yes, I agree, I don't think that they should be published to sate the curiosities of the public,
    I think its bizarre that that the conspiracy theorists have taken this so far, There's always these theories surrounding events, but I think this situation has been taken to the extreme. it makes me wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Oh yes, I agree, I don't think that they should be published to sate the curiosities of the public,
    I think its bizarre that that the conspiracy theorists have taken this so far, There's always these theories surrounding events, but I think this situation has been taken to the extreme. it makes me wonder why.

Maybe it's the very large loony element of the gun lobby who see every high profile attack like this as a setup to try and enact gun control laws and turn public opinion against them. So they have an extra motivation apart from the folks who see everything like we live in a comic book world of shadowy baddies. Could be a vicious cycle where the gun lobby makes a fake claim that is picked up and distorted by the conspiracy folks which in turn sees it being fed back into the paranoid gun lobby.

What's the conspiracy about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Picnic at hanging rock.

I remember the film about it. Something to do with a bus load of school girls disappearing in the Australian outback, never to be seen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

LordSutch wrote:
    Picnic at hanging rock.

LordSutch wrote:
    I remember the film about it. Something to do with a bus load of school girls disappearing in the Australian outback, never to be seen again!

I saw the film, too, very eerie.
    Based on the novel.

Some of the girls disappeared, never to be seen again.
    Although it is highly debatable whether it was based on a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mkhall

I love the show unsolved mysteries but I saw this on Reddit a few years ago...This never fails to freak me out!!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

LordSutch wrote: »
    Picnic at hanging rock.

That movie is one of the scariest things i have ever seen. haunting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Parchment wrote: »
    That movie is one of the scariest things i have ever seen. haunting.

Was very good alright :D I heard few years back there was no true events, was from a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Picnic at hanging rock.

Total fiction though

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

I'm sure the dyatlov pass incident has already been mentioned but jesus that one creeps me out big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

mkhall wrote:
    I love the show unsolved mysteries but I saw this on Reddit a few years ago...This never fails to freak me out!!

Very interesting read.
    Thank you for that.

Very interesting read.
    Thank you for that.

I don't even know what to make of it! What do you think actually happened? I'm guessing maybe the Avalanche theory is correct? The tongue thing is seriously bothering, horrific!

bear1 wrote: »
    What's the conspiracy about it?

The short version: That it never happened at all,
    Seems to be more online about this conspiracy than the actual events of the murders of the children and subsequent suicide of the perpetrator.

I was in Aruba in late April 2005 on spring break with my then boyfriend. Then this happened not even a month later https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Natalee_Holloway

I still have no idea what happened to her and being around her age, I followed it for years. I was snorkeling on a ship wreck and the fish were a little bit too big for my liking so I sat the rest out. One of the crew made the comment, don't worry there's no sharks on this part of the island. We throw dead animals and leftovers off the north east side so the sharks will only hang around there...it always stuck into my mind when I heard they didn't think they'd find her body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm sure the dyatlov pass incident has already been mentioned but jesus that one creeps me out big time!

I remember reading its assumed they went mad with hypothermia (hence no clothes on etc)

Read some reports of people going mad on everest to get a better understanding

mkhall wrote: »
    I was in Aruba in late April 2005 on spring break with my then boyfriend. Then this happened not even a month later https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Natalee_Holloway

I still have no idea what happened to her and being around her age, I followed it for years. I was snorkeling on a ship wreck and the fish were a little bit too big for my liking so I sat the rest out. One of the crew made the comment, don't worry there's no sharks on this part of the island. We throw dead animals and leftovers off the north east side so the sharks will only hang around there...it always stuck into my mind when I heard they didn't think they'd find her body.

I remember watching her parents on Dr. Phil a few years ago.
    I think the 3 lads did something to her that night, very sad.
    Whole investigation seems to have been a bit of a clusterf$£k from the beginning though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

The Voynich Manuscript. Probably a hoax to fleece some King or Wealthy Merchant but still fascinating.

http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/collections/highlights/voynich-manuscript

Advertisement