Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy and Cigars MkII

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

pfft n00b.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

pfft n00b.
    Quality > Quantity :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

pfft n00b.

yes I have a life.. sorry about that.. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

PaulieC wrote: »

Why thank you Paulie.. :D

PaulieC wrote: »

you'd have to be a stalker to know the quality of mine. :cool:
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    yes I have a life.. sorry about that.. :pac:

some home truths right there.

• Advertisement

Why thank you Paulie.. :D
    If I overtake you on post count I'll take SUN's side :D

some home truths right there.

For you? Yes, sorry to be so brutal about it, but they say you have to be cruel to be kind.. :p

For you? Yes, sorry to be so brutal about it, but they say you have to be cruel to be kind.. :p

too cruel tp

too cruel tp

I'm sorry, we will have to get you away from that keyboard and out into the big bad world to show you around. Dont be afraid, we dont bite unless you want us too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Reading Mark Kermode's new book, some good stuff. There was an extract in The Observer on Sunday if anybody wants to read why blockbusters don't have to be braindead pieces of crap.
    Ah yea spotted that myself, article was quite an interesting read all right. On a similar topic, stumbled across and downl....'got' this documentary to watch later, which seems like it may be interesting:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This is true, but unfortunately these days investors and film studios don't and won't invest in anything unless its a big budget kick ass all action flick which will break box office records.

Nobody wants to make a film because its a good film which will tell a good story. Like almost everything it touches, money has ruined that industry too

Shame really!! :(

That's the basis of a lot of the book. Obviously I know it is common sense and something a lot of people will know, but his point is that whilst investors and studios are interested in one type of movie, it doesn't mean that it has to be that way.
    Every time I complain that a blockbuster movie is directorially dumb, or insultingly scripted, or crappily acted, or artistically barren, I get a torrent of emails from alleged mainstream-movie lovers complaining that I (as a snotty critic) am applying highbrow criteria that cannot and should not be applied to good old undemanding blockbuster entertainment. I am not alone in this; every critic worth their salt has been lectured about their distance from the demands of "popular cinema", or has been told that their views are somehow elitist and out of touch (and if you haven't been told this then you are not a critic, you are a "showbiz correspondent"). This has become the shrieking refrain of 21st-century film (anti)culture – the idea that critics are just too clever for their own good, have seen too many movies to know what the average punter wants, and are therefore sorely unqualified to pass judgment on the popcorn fodder that "real" cinema-goers demand from the movies.

This is baloney – and worse, it is pernicious baloney peddled by people who are only interested in money and don't give a damn about cinema. The problem with movies today is not that "real" cinema-goers love garbage while critics only like poncy foreign language arthouse fare. The problem is that we've all learned to tolerate a level of overpaid, institutionalised corporate dreadfulness that no one actually likes but everyone meekly accepts because we've all been told that blockbuster movies have to be stupid to survive. Being intelligent will cause them to become unpopular. Duh! The more money you spend, the dumb and dumberer you have to be. You know the drill: no one went broke underestimating the public intelligence. That's just how it is, OK?

Well, actually, no. You want proof? OK. Exhibit A: Inception.

Inception is an artistically ambitious and intellectually challenging thriller from writer/director Christopher Nolan, who made his name with the temporally dislocated low- budget "arthouse" puzzler Memento. Nolan unfashionably imagines that his audience are sentient beings, and treats them as such regardless of budget. Memento cost $5m, had no stars or special effects, aimed high nonetheless, expected its audience to keep up, and reaped over $25m in the US alone. Inception cost $160m, had huge stars and blinding special effects, aimed high nonetheless, expected its audience to keep up, and took around $800m worldwide. See a connection here?

Nolan earned the right to make a movie as intelligent and expensive as Inception by grossing Warner Bros close to $1.5bn with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, both of which can best be described as arthouse movies posing as massive franchise blockbusters. I remember being genuinely stunned by the level of invention at work in Batman Begins, and burbling to Radio 5 Live listeners that it was "far, far smarter than any of us had the right to expect from a movie which cost that much". But why shouldn't it be smart? Why shouldn't we expect movies that "cost that much" to be worth it?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/28/mark-kermode-multiplex-blockbuster/print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Craig Bellamy going back to Liverpool.Jesus thats brilliant,another knacker is just what they need.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Craig Bellamy going back to Liverpool.Jesus thats brilliant,another knacker is just what they need.:pac:

That's a very Sneijdy thing to say Otis!!!

(papa ya witty pup!:D)

morning all, how is everyone and this slightly chilly and overcast but dry morning?? :)

hi tp. readying myself for a day of proper work. it being the first of the month means invoicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

morning all, how is everyone and this slightly chilly and overcast but dry morning?? :)

Lovely down here this morning, just had a savage breakfast of bacon and eggs and catching up on all the transfers from lastnight. Work soon but I'm in a good mood for once! Yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's my day off, woop, woop.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

hi tp. readying myself for a day of proper work. it being the first of the month means invoicing.

Oh that sounds like its gonna be a fun day.. ahh well, its nearly the weekend so that has to be some sort of consolation.. Hows the new MP3 player going? :)
    Lovely down here this morning, just had a savage breakfast of bacon and eggs and catching up on all the transfers from lastnight. Work soon but I'm in a good mood for once! Yourself?

Ohhhh nice.. cant beat an aul full irish brekkie!! Lots of ketchup required.. :p Ahh sure I'm grand, have a team night out tonight at the doggies, so a will have a = few scoops and a bite to eat. Should be a good night :)

Lucky git..

Oh that sounds like its gonna be a fun day.. ahh well, its nearly the weekend so that has to be some sort of consolation.. Hows the new MP3 player going? :)

Ohhhh nice.. cant beat an aul full irish brekkie!! Lots of ketchup required.. :p Ahh sure I'm grand, have a team night out tonight at the doggies, so a will have a = few scoops and a bite to eat. Should be a good night :)

yeah the week is going quickly enough. haven't tried the mp3 player yet. might do at the weekend.

it's so long since i had a fry up. might treat myself...

it's so long since i had a fry up. might treat myself...

Actually there's a question for ye Dublin residents, where's a good place for a fry up in the city?

• Advertisement

Actually there's a question for ye Dublin residents, where's a good place for a fry up in the city?

****, i've no idea. if it was limerick i'd know where to go... but i've never eaten out in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Oslo Bar in Connolly train station does an epic full fry and Chef Martin is a really cool guy to boot.

but i've never eaten out in dublin.

Neither have I, though I've been single most of the times I've been to Dublin :pac:
    Maguined wrote: »
    Oslo Bar in Connolly train station does an epic full fry and Chef Martin is a really cool guy to boot.

Must give that a go next time I venture up!

Maguined wrote: »

ooh might give it a go so, thanks mags
    Neither have I, though I've been single most of the times I've been to Dublin :pac:

single people eat too ya know :p

Wánker :(

That's also for suggesting Liverpool have a squad full of nomadic tribesmen a.k.a. "Knackers" as you so delicately put it Otis!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hmmm used to prefer going to An Poitin Stil out in Rathcoole or The Johnstown Inn out in Johnstown, but haven't been to either in years.

Been to Joels a lot and consider it to be a bit over hyped as a resturant. Would only recommend going there if you didn't feel like cooking your dinner.

God I'd love a fry now :( slept in this morning so missed breakfast

maybe i should try cooking my own. ugh. too much bother.

maybe i should try cooking my own. ugh. too much bother.
    Cooking your own fry? Sure you're at work....we're talking about the present SUN I need one NOW!

In other news I love Fearne Cotton - cracking looking woman and good DJ to boot - listening to her on BBC Radio 1 atm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Cooking your own fry is always good the only problem is you can't cook for one person, you need to be cooking for at least two otherwise its just too much gluttony.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement