Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

I think mount sion cud find it tough against tallow, tallow will be up for it after their heavy beating against dls and that wud see monunt sion in relegation, in other group i really dont know who cud go dwn, so tight and good teams still to play each other

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

that Roanmore v Mt Sion match could be very very very tasty!

If roanmore were to win that there wud be murder, haha, not sure i can roanmore winning it,

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

I totay agree with everything deisebhoy says here. How an amateur sportsman can get slated so much by a select few on this forum is beyond me. The amount of service that man his given and given up massive sacrifices for his county, and he gets slated. I don't want to cause trouble but I'm sorry a line needs to be drawn here I don't know how people slate these people, I just can't listen to it he don't deserve it. the amount of work he's done for his county.

Agree 100% ,

@deise doodler, were trying to move past that, bored and annoying conversation

• Advertisement

Top drawer wrote: »
    @deise doodler, were trying to move past that, bored and annoying conversation

By all means, didnt see the change in topic till after i posted,

Ur forgiven because u were polite haha,

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭skaface

Any news on the hurling panel.. is Adrian Power definetely gone off the panel??

Not a good sign to see one of our keepers gone, would have thought Power
    would have been the natural replacement when Clinton retired.
    Less than 3 weeks to go and we,re still messing around over goalkeepers..
    Our first choice keeper should have been sorted out during the league, not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

skaface wrote: »
    Any news on the hurling panel.. is Adrian Power definetely gone off the panel??

Not a good sign to see one of our keepers gone, would have thought Power
    would have been the natural replacement when Clinton retired.
    Less than 3 weeks to go and we,re still messing around over goalkeepers..
    Our first choice keeper should have been sorted out during the league, not now.

Ye I was disgusted at the way Adrian was treated . Bringing back Iggy on the panel and giving Adrian so little game time is a major mistake and I think it could cost us dearly this year hope I'm wrong but other worrying factors are Shane O Sullivan and Brian O Sullivan not there for the championship also. Reading posts on other sites it gives the impression that Waterford are in a spot of bother when you consider the injury list we have. Who knows it gives somebody else a chance to step up and hopefully make a big impression but is it to late. Clare in two weeks time is beginning to look like a bridge to far. It looks like Steven O Keefe will be our first choice goalie this year I wish him all the best but I was looking forward to seeing Adrian there this year. Our league display overall was shambolic but coming near the end it looked like we had things sorted. We still look far from a settled side maybe it could all be a smokescreen to confuse Davy but I cant help but worry about our chances for the 17th.Two weeks to go COME ON THE DEISE prove me wrong and give us something to be be cheerful about. Hopefully if we make the Munster Final we can correct what happened last year.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Ye I was disgusted at the way Adrian was treated . Bringing back Iggy on the panel and giving Adrian so little game time is a major mistake and I think it could cost us dearly this year hope I'm wrong but other worrying factors are Shane O Sullivan and Brian O Sullivan not there for the championship also. Reading posts on other sites it gives the impression that Waterford are in a spot of bother when you consider the injury list we have. Who knows it gives somebody else a chance to step up and hopefully make a big impression but is it to late. Clare in two weeks time is beginning to look like a bridge to far. It looks like Steven O Keefe will be our first choice goalie this year I wish him all the best but I was looking forward to seeing Adrian there this year. Our league display overall was shambolic but coming near the end it looked like we had things sorted. We still look far from a settled side maybe it could all be a smokescreen to confuse Davy but I cant help but worry about our chances for the 17th.Two weeks to go COME ON THE DEISE prove me wrong and give us something to be be cheerful about. Hopefully if we make the Munster Final we can correct what happened last year.

Having seen Power a good few times theres no doubting his ability as a shot stoper but he can have a tendency drop the odd clanger or take a crazy option, not saying Iggy is a better keeper but perhaps not the easiest to manage, Happy with sok's as first choice tbh and perhaps Adrian saw this coming and decided he didnt need to spend anoter 2 years on the bench, as for Brian and shane , dont think Shane o sullivan is a huge loss, not a bad guy to have on the bench but wouldnt be in my starting fifteen and while Brian has loads of potential he obviously was'nt up for it this year ,

Think it will be a savage battle against Clare and would be a bit worried about their running game ( not something we cope with well) but think if we keep our heads, hurl and sort a few injuries think we should just about shade it ,

Cant wait

• Advertisement

Ur forgiven because u were polite haha,

thats very good of you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

as for Brian and shane , dont think Shane o sullivan is a huge loss, not a bad guy to have on the bench but wouldnt be in my starting fifteen and while Brian has loads of potential he obviously was'nt up for it this year

Shane O'Sullivan would be one of the first names on the teamsheet if he had stayed for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Did anyone hear anything on the football games played over the weekend. I heard that the five games were awful. I did hear 2 players sent off for The Nire - Shane Walsh was one of them.

Lismore and roanmore drew 1-16 a piece in league in horrible conditions up here in lismore tonite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

deisedude wrote: »
    Shane O'Sullivan would be one of the first names on the teamsheet if he had stayed for the summer.

I don't think Shane has ever really done it when push came to shove at intercounty level and personally I wouldn't have him in the XV if we had a fully fit panel to choose from. I don't mean to pick on individuals but for me he has always flattered to deceive and has a tendency to go missing in important games. Hopefully the break from the panel will benefit him in the long run and he will come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Having seen Power a good few times theres no doubting his ability as a shot stoper but he can have a tendency drop the odd clanger or take a crazy option, not saying Iggy is a better keeper but perhaps not the easiest to manage, Happy with sok's as first choice tbh and perhaps Adrian saw this coming and decided he didnt need to spend anoter 2 years on the bench, as for Brian and shane , dont think Shane o sullivan is a huge loss, not a bad guy to have on the bench but wouldnt be in my starting fifteen and while Brian has loads of potential he obviously was'nt up for it this year ,

Think it will be a savage battle against Clare and would be a bit worried about their running game ( not something we cope with well) but think if we keep our heads, hurl and sort a few injuries think we should just about shade it ,

Cant wait
    why 3 keepers in first place ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭skaface

why 3 keepers in first place ridiculous

This was the cause of a lot of friction IMO, not the fact that we had 3 keepers
    (which i suppose most counties do)... but the management should have picked
    THEIR NO.1 a lot earlier in the League and told the other lads it was up to them
    to prove them wrong, thus not causing confusion amongst players and supporters alike :rolleyes:

Not if i was picking , but that is just my opinion, dont want to be critical of him as he always gives 100% but think we have better options regarding first 15 not saying he couldnt come in an do a job for us as he is vesatile

THEIR NO.1 a lot earlier in the League and told the other lads it was up to them
    to prove them wrong, thus not causing confusion amongst players and supporters alike :rolleyes:

Agreed , was not handled well but you can add that to a long list of incedents over the first few months of this year, hope thats the last of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

you must know your number 1 months ago, barring a disaster you have your second choice ,if either get injured bring in someone else as number 2 simple, three keepers just complicates things and someone is going to get pissed off ,with 2 you have genuine competition for a place ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

If I was naming the team, I would have to agree. Has gone from strength to strength in recent years, and first choice name in midfield for me. Just on distribution alone from midfield to our forwards, I would have him in the first 15. Has a lot of other qualities too, of course.

Not sure Michael Ryan and co felt the same though, with Shane pencilled in for a wing back slot during the league, where we would seem to have more than enough options. Whether this was just to accomodate trying other options at midfield, I don't know, but it would seem Shane's flexibility has done him no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Agree. One of our main goals during the league should have been to sort out the number one situation, not make the selection problem more difficult by adding a third to the mix. You won't hear me not saying Iggy didn't deserve a second chance after '04, but it's plain as day his shot stopping and puckouts are not as strong as Power and O'Keefe.

Plenty of other bizarre decisions too, from the perseverance with Nagle & McGrath, to having future county wing backs on the panel just to be left rot or played out of position.

I can't help feeling all this has contributed to a situation where some players are edging away, be it summers in America, impromptu sabbaticals, or going as far as walking off the panel.

We've turned some of those corners, but I can't say I'm feeling too optimistic given the situation with injuries piling up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Black Suir wrote: »
    Did anyone hear anything on the football games played over the weekend. I heard that the five games were awful. I did hear 2 players sent off for The Nire - Shane Walsh was one of them.

I heard the WLR report, he was sent off for two yellows late on. The Nire won by 8 points I think.

Clashmore beat Dungarvan handy too I think and both sides are now in the quarters.

I'm watching a lot of people cite that we don't need people walking off the panel especially with the current injury crisis. Players leaving is a worrying sign and a problem no doubt, but I think the injury list is definetly being exaggerated.

We're missing Connors and Paudie Mahony. Those are the only two injured that I can think of, I am of course open to correction on that. Both of them would be starting but it's not a massive injury list. Fives will be back and Kelly is back.

Stephen O'Keeffe is an excellent keeper, and I for one am perfectly happy to see him get his chance in goal. Think he's a bit more assured and focused than Power can be. I don't deny Power is an incredible shot stopper, but there is a reason he hasn't broken into the team over the last couple of years.

Shane O'Sullivan going abroad, and Brian O'Sullivan's decision earlier in they year to do so are certainly losses but there is a good deal of talent in this County, adequate I would say to cover both players.

One final note of importance, while I recognise the weak nature of the intermediate championship, Seamus Prender scored 2-11 in the last round of games.

We're missing Connors and Paudie Mahony. Those are the only two injured that I can think of, I am of course open to correction on that. Both of them would be starting but it's not a massive injury list. Fives will be back and Kelly is back.

Stephen Molumphy is also reported to be carrying a shoulder injury. I know that some people for what ever reason, (maybe because he is not with some of the big city clubs), but if i was playing, I would rather to have him on my team rather than to play against him.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Stephen Molumphy is also reported to be carrying a shoulder injury. I know that some people for what ever reason, (maybe because he is not with some of the big city clubs), but if i was playing, I would rather to have him on my team rather than to play against him.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Anyone any news on how the un 21's are shaping up, have they played any challanges lately ?

No word on the intermediates either, who is their manager even?

No word on the intermediates either, who is their manager even?

Nickey Cashin was appointed to do it as far as i know earlier this year. I dont know if he gave this position up as well when he resigned as a senior selector. I am told that when he got the job his intention was to have players who will not get a game in the championship with the seniors as well as some under 21's from this year and the last few years in the panel, but this is only hear say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Couldn't imagine Nicky Cashin still taking the role. Wasn't there something mentioned by Michael Ryan earlier in the year about using this grade as an u23 development squad? Maybe i'm wrong but i thought this was mentioned somewhere. Heard he brought in Ray Barry and John Prendergast from Lismore for a look during a trial game on Sunday. I saw these 2 in action Saturday night against Roanmore and in brutal conditions they accounted for 1-15 out of the 1-16 that Lismore scored,Barry with 10pts,Prendergast with 1-5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement