Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Anyone any news on how the un 21's are shaping up, have they played any challanges lately ?

Playing KK in a challenge today AFAIK.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

solarith wrote: »

Anymore details on that?
    Heard Waterford minors are playing Dublin in Waterford today somewhere too, dont know when or where though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

zol 2 wrote: »
    Couldn't imagine Nicky Cashin still taking the role. Wasn't there something mentioned by Michael Ryan earlier in the year about using this grade as an u23 development squad? Maybe i'm wrong but i thought this was mentioned somewhere. Heard he brought in Ray Barry and John Prendergast from Lismore for a look during a trial game on Sunday. I saw these 2 in action Saturday night against Roanmore and in brutal conditions they accounted for 1-15 out of the 1-16 that Lismore scored,Barry with 10pts,Prendergast with 1-5.
    What did u make of the game? thought it was a good game to watch considering the conditions. Barry and prendergast were very good alrite especially in first half, faded in the second,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Deise Abu 2012

Two teams are through to the quarter finals of this years Senior Football Championship after games played this past weekend. The other six places can be taken by any of the other ten teams with two games to go, although the chances of some of the clubs of doing so are very slim and will need results of other games to go their way.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/

Thanks as always to those that read my blog each week. The numbers doing so each week seem consistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anymore details on that?
    Heard Waterford minors are playing Dublin in Waterford today somewhere too, dont know when or where though :/

That minor game is at 4pm in Mount Sion but minus the players sitting their Leaving Cert's during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

solarith wrote: »

Any word on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

have a guess ... id say KK won handsomely !! :) MIAOW

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    have a guess ... id say KK won handsomely !! :) MIAOW

had you the same train of thought when ye played clare last week ? ;)

Finished 2-17 to 1-16 to Dublin in that minor challenge game earlier (at least that's the score I got). Decent game, Waterford did well after two early goals by Dublin and were prob the better team in the first half.
    Dublin were stronger second half and clawed back a 5pt lead and began to turn the screw. They got on top in the last few minutes and held on for the win.

Most of the team that started v Clare played: Seanie Barry, Kieran Bennett, Tom Tobin (solid), Tagdh Burke (solid), Conor Murray (good game) Tom Devine, Colin Dunford (great game and great to see him back after the broken jaw), Austin Gleeson (did well but missed a few frees that proved costly in the end), DJ Foran, Michael Harney (good game) and Darragh Flynn all involved. Stephen Bennett came on second half but didn't get much ball to work with.
    Good workout with a few to come back in for the semi v Tipp in a few weeks.

Any word on that? (U21 challenge v KK)

There was indeed a challenge match played v KK yesterday up in Nolan park, KK won by 6pts I heard but it was kind of a mix of a few U21's (that would be considered fringe players) and intermediates. Think someone mentioned a few pages back that they're using the intermediate grade this year as a kind of U23 development squad, that's what they're doing and seems to be what other counties are doing too. So don't be surprised to see the likes of Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast etc. lining out v Clare on Sunday week before the senior game.
    Heard the same group are playing Carlow in Bagnelstown on Fri or Sat and the U21's have Wexford in a challenge in New Ross on Sunday morning, gonna try get down for a look at that.

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    There was indeed a challenge match played v KK yesterday up in Nolan park, KK won by 6pts I heard but it was kind of a mix of a few U21's (that would be considered fringe players) and intermediates. Think someone mentioned a few pages back that they're using the intermediate grade this year as a kind of U23 development squad, that's what they're doing and seems to be what other counties are doing too. So don't be surprised to see the likes of Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast etc. lining out v Clare on Sunday week before the senior game.
    Heard the same group are playing Carlow in Bagnelstown on Fri or Sat and the U21's have Wexford in a challenge in New Ross on Sunday morning, gonna try get down for a look at that.

Cheers Cake man, reckoned that most of the un 21 on senior panel were in Cork this weekend anyway as part of the training camp,

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

zol 2 wrote: »
    Couldn't imagine Nicky Cashin still taking the role. Wasn't there something mentioned by Michael Ryan earlier in the year about using this grade as an u23 development squad? Maybe i'm wrong but i thought this was mentioned somewhere. Heard he brought in Ray Barry and John Prendergast from Lismore for a look during a trial game on Sunday. I saw these 2 in action Saturday night against Roanmore and in brutal conditions they accounted for 1-15 out of the 1-16 that Lismore scored,Barry with 10pts,Prendergast with 1-5.

Ryan asked a few lads to go down to cork to make up numbers for a training match as there were a few players unable to take part. I believe ray Barry, John Pendergast, Tomas casey, mark wyse, jerome maher and seamus lawlor obliged him. Fair dues to them for the effort. Actually Michael Kearney of ballyduff also went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

glick6 wrote: »
    Ryan asked a few lads to go down to cork to make up numbers for a training match as there were a few players unable to take part. I believe ray Barry, John Pendergast, Tomas casey, mark wyse, jerome maher and seamus lawlor obliged him. Fair dues to them for the effort. Actually Michael Kearney of ballyduff also went down.

Sorry glick my info was a bit off the mark so! Any news how the lads that helped out got on? Is it true that the intermediate panel will be a mixture of u21's and some from the senior extended panel? It would be no harm to use it as a development squad and put it to good use for up and coming players rather than a day out for" the old guard" as used be the case some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All i hope is that the Waterford senoir camp is 100%. A munster final apperance would really lift spirits.

1.If we win next weekend its a Munster final apperance on Sunday 15th July against either Cork or Tipp.

2. If we lose next weekend its a All Ireland Phase 2 Quilifer against either Dublin, Offaly, Galway or Kilkenny on Sat 7th July (Home or Away).

Option 1 looks good to me.

Option 2 Offaly would be the only team we could possibly beat IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

PTH2009 wrote: »
    All i hope is that the Waterford senoir camp is 100%. A munster final apperance would really lift spirits.

1.If we win next weekend its a Munster final apperance on Sunday 15th July against either Cork or Tipp.

2. If we lose next weekend its a All Ireland Phase 2 Quilifer against either Dublin, Offaly, Galway or Kilkenny on Sat 7th July (Home or Away).

Option 1 looks good to me.

Option 2 Offaly would be the only team we could possibly beat IMO.

Bit defeatist in my opinion. No doubt would prefer to be facing into a Munster final than the four you mentioned, but no one really knows how anything is going for any of the teams, ourselves included. Championship is championship, and would be shocked if our form during the summer was anything like the spring. Plus, if we lost in two weeks, it would be a real kick for the team, and with four weeks until the qualifiers would imagine a quite different Waterford side, even if a little wobbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I remember the last time Waterford lost the opening round of the championship,against a youthful Clare team.

The extra games against the competitive teams lead to a strenghtening of the squad ,and a final that was long in the offing.

Ok may not have ended well,but I'd prefer to see them get a drubbing in the final,than lose the semi by a point.

There's a decent bit of an unknown quantity in the squad, a lineup and training regimine ,that wasn't there in the league,I think it's far too early to write them off.

Speaking of 2008 I wrote them off against Tipp in the semi,I vowed not to do so again.

Based on the evidence,everything is to play for,Clare might have a division 1 pace shock,Davy might be at his "tactics that served us so well in last years munster final) the players might bottle under a big crowd,they mgiht not be up to championship pace.Indeed Dabvy might try the dirty tactics plyoy he got Waterford to try (can't remember what game) and lose a player turning the game on its head.

Not to mention our own guys,theres a few places that weren't there for fringe players,and they won't want to give them back to sully and the likes when their told to,I see this one being scraapy,and ours to lose,I defy you to prove me otherwise.

Ok im starting to ramble so I'll shut up now,but point is,Waterford are anything but predicable(especially when it comes to ebing written off,the bookies lose a fortune on them),and can never be written off until the whistle is blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I have to post here before we disappear from page one. With just over a week to go there is very little talk about our clash with Clare. Is it lack of confidence, lack of interest or are we all just weighed down with worry these days to care. Fair play to Ken McGrath for speaking up about the price of tickets being out of reach for many loyal fans. Times have really changed and many are really struggling to stay afloat but still cant we look forward with some degree of confidence. Very little news coming out of the camp which cant be a bad thing. Hope everything is going well there. I see where Waterford under 21s were defeated by Kilkenny in Nolan Park by 6 points the same Kilkenny who Clare under 21s wiped the floor with. I know they are only challenge matches but it would sow the seeds of doubt before we play them in that grade. We have some great underage players at the moment I hope they can fullfill the promise that they have. Lets hope we have something to cheer about this year on the rocky road to Croke Park.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    I have to post here before we disappear from page one. With just over a week to go there is very little talk about our clash with Clare. Is it lack of confidence, lack of interest or are we all just weighed down with worry these days to care. Fair play to Ken McGrath for speaking up about the price of tickets being out of reach for many loyal fans. Times have really changed and many are really struggling to stay afloat but still cant we look forward with some degree of confidence. Very little news coming out of the camp which cant be a bad thing. Hope everything is going well there. I see where Waterford under 21s were defeated by Kilkenny in Nolan Park by 6 points the same Kilkenny who Clare under 21s wiped the floor with. I know they are only challenge matches but it would sow the seeds of doubt before we play them in that grade. We have some great underage players at the moment I hope they can fullfill the promise that they have. Lets hope we have something to cheer about this year on the rocky road to Croke Park.

Was just thinking this yesterday that the build-up is very quiet but I agree that's not a bad thing. I'd say everyone's attantion at the moment is on the Euro's tbh.

As for that U21 challenge v Clare, as mentioned, it was a mix of U21's and intermediates. I don't think many, if any U21's that will be starting v Clare next month played v KK. And anyway, no harm leading Clare to believe that they'll have a handy game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Not only is the hype of the Waterford game pretty low, but it has been the same for the hurling and football championships in general. Only 30 odd thousand in Croke Park for a double header involving the Dubs last weekend - pretty much says it all really. The Euro's will be taking up most of the newspaper articles and pub conversations for the next couple of weeks.

However, I think that a little more hype mightn't hurt this Waterford side. I think they could do with having a bit more confidence around the camp. Pretty much all the talk this year has been negative.

I think we'll struggle to beat Clare on the 17th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

I don't see why we shouldn't face into this game with some confidence. It's not as if the team that got to the semi-finals last year has suddenly come apart. We still have the likes of experienced players like Mullane, Tony, Brick, Moran, Walsh and Molumphy in tow as well as potentially exciting youngsters like Gavin O'Brian, Martin O'Neill and Stephen O'Keeffe itching to impress. Yes there has been a lot of unrest in the camp (though bar Power's withdrawal, nothing major recently) and we have a couple of players out injured but at the end of the day, the Championship is what these players count down to every year and I would like to think that everything else will go out the window when the sliothar is thrown in on Sun week. I won't deny that there are doubts about the management but no doubt they are eager to prove people wrong, as are the players. If we play as we are capable there is no doubt we can beat Clare. I can't wait for the game, h'on the Deise!

• Advertisement

doz wrote: »
    I don't see why we shouldn't face into this game with some confidence. It's not as if the team that got to the semi-finals last year has suddenly come apart. We still have the likes of experienced players like Mullane, Tony, Brick, Moran, Walsh and Molumphy in tow as well as potentially exciting youngsters like Gavin O'Brian, Martin O'Neill and Stephen O'Keeffe itching to impress. Yes there has been a lot of unrest in the camp (though bar Power's withdrawal, nothing major recently) and we have a couple of players out injured but at the end of the day, the Championship is what these players count down to every year and I would like to think that everything else will go out the window when the sliothar is thrown in on Sun week. I won't deny that there are doubts about the management but no doubt they are eager to prove people wrong, as are the players. If we play as we are capable there is no doubt we can beat Clare. I can't wait for the game, h'on the Deise!

The question I'm really asking myself is where are the scores going to come from? Mullane has been very quiet for DLS in the last couple of games, and we can't keep relying on him forever. Add to that the likes of Paudie Mahony missing for the year takes away a lot of certainty he brought to the dead ball situation, plus a couple of points from play he was good for.

If we're going in relying on O'Brien and O'Neill I'd be fairly anxious. While I've no doubt that these lads have ability and will go on to become important senior players, we must remember that they are still raw debutants who haven't been tested yet.

We'll have a big problem winning aerial possession this year. Our midfield and half forward line are pretty average at best, and if you couple that with a less than prolific forward line we could be in trouble.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Pretty much all the talk this year has been negative.

I think we'll struggle to beat Clare on the 17th.

Well done on curbing the negativity

Well done on curbing the negativity

Reality/negativity - any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Reality/negativity - any difference?

While I understand that people are entitled to be negative (or realistic, whatever you want to call it), and I am a bit concerned about the match, your post was a bit of an oxymoron to be fair.

While I understand that people are entitled to be negative (or realistic, whatever you want to call it), and I am a bit concerned about the match, your post was a bit of an oxymoron to be fair.

Ah talk about being finiky lads...while I'm saying the team could benefit from some more positive vibes, I'm not feeling all that positive!

Anytime I feel the odds are bad,the lads usually surprise me so i'll hold my breath for this one,and see where the team stand.

We will know a lot more about their form come sundy week,theres not enough coming out of the camp to be certain about the result,same goes for clare for the most part.

Anytime I feel the odds are bad,the lads usually surprise me so i'll hold my breath for this one,and see where the team stand.

We will know a lot more about their form come sundy week,theres not enough coming out of the camp to be certain about the result,same goes for clare for the most part.

Sure it's Munster Championship, you're never going to be sure about the result. Obviously we'll have a better idea of their form after the event actually happens, but I think Clare will be the happier team coming in.

Also don't forget they got a league final v Limerick (albeit Div 2), and a semi final v Kilkenny when we were only playing challenge games.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

News on the injury front from someone close to the team is that Paudie Mahoney is the only player who will be unavailable for selection for the Clare game. That includes noelie, seemingly he is making good steady progress and has been taking a good part in training matches. Challeng v limerick this evening will see how very one is going. Kelly is absolutely flying in training and will surely start against Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

The question I'm really asking myself is where are the scores going to come from? Mullane has been very quiet for DLS in the last couple of games, and we can't keep relying on him forever. Add to that the likes of Paudie Mahony missing for the year takes away a lot of certainty he brought to the dead ball situation, plus a couple of points from play he was good for.

If we're going in relying on O'Brien and O'Neill I'd be fairly anxious. While I've no doubt that these lads have ability and will go on to become important senior players, we must remember that they are still raw debutants who haven't been tested yet.

We'll have a big problem winning aerial possession this year. Our midfield and half forward line are pretty average at best, and if you couple that with a less than prolific forward line we could be in trouble.

I disagree. I think in the last game John Mullane had a very good game playing at Centre Forward. OK he might have only hit one point, but you have to ask how many scores he he lay off or play a part in some way or another. In the previous game he was quite to be honest, but all the inter county players did appear to be tired that weekend. I asked someone in the know why this was and was told that the senior intercounty team for a week or two before the game had gone through some very heavy training sessions. In De La Salle's last game, i could not but feel if the need was there, Mullane could have turned like a light switch and put up a good personal taly on the score sheet, but if he did this, someone like Shane McNulty who got was it seven or eight points might not have got near as much.

• Advertisement

Black Suir wrote: »
    I disagree. I think in the last game John Mullane had a very good game playing at Centre Forward. OK he might have only hit one point, but you have to ask how many scores he he lay off or play a part in some way or another. In the previous game he was quite to be honest, but all the inter county players did appear to be tired that weekend. I asked someone in the know why this was and was told that the senior intercounty team for a week or two before the game had gone through some very heavy training sessions. In De La Salle's last game, i could not but feel if the need was there, Mullane could have turned like a light switch and put up a good personal taly on the score sheet, but if he did this, someone like Shane McNulty who got was it seven or eight points might not have got near as much.

Very hard game to judge him in such was the hammering DLS inflicted on Tallow. One way traffic. How did they get to a county final last year by the way!?

I hope the heavy sessions was the cause, and wouldn't rule it out, but that sort of work should have been done earlier in the season. Time will tell I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement