Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hardybuck wrote: »
    Very hard game to judge him in such was the hammering DLS inflicted on Tallow. One way traffic. How did they get to a county final last year by the way!?

I hope the heavy sessions was the cause, and wouldn't rule it out, but that sort of work should have been done earlier in the season. Time will tell I suppose.

Have heard on the qt that all might not be well in the Tallow camp. There is some strange things happening there however. The playing of James Murray in the half forward line makes you wonder do the team management really know what they are at. I saw him alot in the last few years and thought he was playing some good hurling in the half back line. Last year they played Aidan Kearney out around the middle of the field which had some Tallow people i know scratching their head.

Sure it's Munster Championship, you're never going to be sure about the result. Obviously we'll have a better idea of their form after the event actually happens, but I think Clare will be the happier team coming in.

Also don't forget they got a league final v Limerick (albeit Div 2), and a semi final v Kilkenny when we were only playing challenge games.

This was for two weekends after the league stages of the league finished. Its what was done between then and now that will tell most on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Sure it's Munster Championship, you're never going to be sure about the result. Obviously we'll have a better idea of their form after the event actually happens, but I think Clare will be the happier team coming in.

Also don't forget they got a league final v Limerick (albeit Div 2), and a semi final v Kilkenny when we were only playing challenge games.
    do you think a league semi all those weeks ago will actually stand to them now ?

Black Suir wrote: »
    I disagree. I think in the last game John Mullane had a very good game playing at Centre Forward. OK he might have only hit one point, but you have to ask how many scores he he lay off or play a part in some way or another. In the previous game he was quite to be honest, but all the inter county players did appear to be tired that weekend. I asked someone in the know why this was and was told that the senior intercounty team for a week or two before the game had gone through some very heavy training sessions. In De La Salle's last game, i could not but feel if the need was there, Mullane could have turned like a light switch and put up a good personal taly on the score sheet, but if he did this, someone like Shane McNulty who got was it seven or eight points might not have got near as much.
    mullane showing his age mc nulty showing his youth

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

i wonder would ml ryan consider playing mullane at 11 against clare?
    centre forward has ben a problem position for the deise.
    o neill and o brien could fill the two corner forward positions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

i wonder would ml ryan consider playing mullane at 11 against clare?
    centre forward has ben a problem position for the deise.
    o neill and o brien could fill the two corner forward positions

No way Jose, Ryan would want to be off his head if he plays mullane centre forward. Nobody can change my mind on this one, John is WAY too valuable and important to be at 11, he needs to be in the corner. All the players say it, 11 is supposed to be a gamebreaker, winning dirty ball and distributing it to other forwards to score. Ultimately, there needs
    To be a big strong fella in At 11, what teams nowadays have a small fella there? The ideal player at our disposal that can play there is either young Maurice Shanahan, Seamo prendergast, or Stephen Molumphy(I know he's not big and tall but would win dirty ball all day). Were missing a dominant centre forward within the panel, Big Dan was great for it. 11 can also be very confined aswell so it wouldn't suit mullane IMO. He needs to be in the corner, winning ball and putting the ball over the bar. That is what his best attributes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Watching De La Salle and the Waterford minor panel a centre forward for the future I would pick is Eoin Madigan. He's a big strong player with loads of ability. I wonder will he break on to the senior panel or was he even looked at. The semi final De La Salle lost against Clarinbridge witch was a great game could have had a different result if Eoin had got more game time that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Watching De La Salle and the Waterford minor panel a centre forward for the future I would pick is Eoin Madigan. He's a big strong player with loads of ability. I wonder will he break on to the senior panel or was he even looked at. The semi final De La Salle lost against Clarinbridge witch was a great game could have had a different result if Eoin had got more game time that day.

Madigan not being in the squad baffles me. He is a very real prospect and should be worked on, he is miles better than a lot of average players who have been included.

Also McNulty mentioned there, I think he is another for the future, and not just on the basis of his display against Tallow.

Think so do you. Good knows what you think so about Tony Browne who will be 39 when the Munster Final comes around should Waterford win on Sunday next. And he will be one of the first names on the starting team sheet.

Black Suir wrote: »

Think so do you. Good knows what you think so about Tony Browne who will be 39 when the Munster Final comes around should Waterford win on Sunday next. And he will be one of the first names on the starting team sheet.

A boy Black Suir! Couldn't of said it better myself. Tony is a legend, a living legend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Madigan not being in the squad baffles me. He is a very real prospect and should be worked on, he is miles better than a lot of average players who have been included.

Also McNulty mentioned there, I think he is another for the future, and not just on the basis of his display against Tallow.

He was at the start of the year. He didn't start for the 21s last year which kind of baffled me, but there must be some reason he isn't progressing as fast as I would have thought given his performances for DLS off the bench a years ago and indeed last year in the County Championship. Don't like that he's been switched back to wing back though, think he's a really good forward, better than Dillon in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Eoin Kelly will be number 11 against Clare If Tony Browne don't start Moran will go half back. Possibly Twomey an foley in the middle, lawlor full back, ringo in corner with either Daniels/mahoney. fives if fit
    will be opposite wing back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Deise Abu 2012

What Ken McGrath had to say during the week put me thinking, but am not expecting many to agree with me.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

What Ken McGrath had to say during the week put me thinking, but am not expecting many to agree with me.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/

I'd agree that ticket prices are too high. People can blame Euro 2012 all they like but attendances haven't been good the last few years. Why is it a tenner cheaper to attend a hurling game in Leinster than Munster? Munster Board need to get to grips with reality

He was at the start of the year. He didn't start for the 21s last year which kind of baffled me, but there must be some reason he isn't progressing as fast as I would have thought given his performances for DLS off the bench a years ago and indeed last year in the County Championship. Don't like that he's been switched back to wing back though, think he's a really good forward, better than Dillon in my opinion.

2 completely different type of players, Jake Dillon is a corner forward very skilful an quick thinking who creates chances for the team something Madigan wouldn't be as good at,but Madigan is well capable of scoring from anywhere out the field an DLS are after losing a couple of strong defenders to emigration an what not, so Madigan is back in the half back line to bolster it with Daniels gone into the corner back position an he's very effective there he was a centre back before he was a forward but none the less can be very effective in full forward, or anywhere across the line on either 45 in defence or offence I'd agree with you he should be on the county panel can't understand why a player with potential who can play in a number of positions wouldn't be on it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

any score from the challenge match against limerick yesterday?

A boy Black Suir! Couldn't of said it better myself. Tony is a legend, a living legend!
    dim wits i was talking about mullane ,for what its worth would not have tony browne in starting 15 either ,LEGEND YES, a little passed his best YES ,

dim wits i was talking about mullane ,for what its worth would not have tony browne in starting 15 either ,LEGEND YES, a little passed his best YES ,

Wait, are you saying you wouldn't start Mullane? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Any result on the junior footballers tonight in the Munster semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

zol 2 wrote: »
    Any result on the junior footballers tonight in the Munster semi final?

Clare won it. 0-13 to 0-7 I think

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    KEEP UP WILL YA, IM TALKING ABOUT TONY BROWNE NOW

Take a chill pill lad. Deep breaths. Your not making things clear yourself.

You said you were talking about Mullane originally and then you said you wouldn't have Tony Browne in the starting 15 either which would indicate you don't think Mullane should start.

I'm keeping up fine but you don't seem to be keeping up with what you are saying yourself!

You said you were talking about Mullane originally and then you said you wouldn't have Tony Browne in the starting 15 either which would indicate you don't think Mullane should start.

I'm keeping up fine but you don't seem to be keeping up with what you are saying yourself!
    everyone stay cool ill give ye a starting 15 in a couple of days,brace yourselves

Anyone else getting nervous as Sunday approaches? Everyone have their tickets got? Cant wait though!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

iggy
    ringo
    lawlor
    phillip mahony
    tony browne
    brick
    moran
    foley
    nagle
    maurice shan
    kelly
    a n other(eoin mc/molumphy/martin o neill)
    gavin o brien
    shane walsh
    mullane

Am i close would anyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone else getting nervous as Sunday approaches? Everyone have their tickets got? Cant wait though!

Waiting for my ticket via the season ticket system. Not nervous though as I've written off this game in my head. Normally I'm an optimist when it comes to these things, but alas I just cant see us doing it Sunday. Will still be there screaming the boys on mind.

zol 2 wrote: »
    iggy
    ringo
    lawlor
    phillip mahony
    tony browne
    brick
    moran
    foley
    nagle
    maurice shan
    kelly
    a n other(eoin mc/molumphy/martin o neill)
    gavin o brien
    shane walsh
    mullane

Am i close would anyone think?

O keeffe will start on goal, an Daniels will be corner back. If fives is fit we might see him wing back with Moran an foley in midfield, if Tony don't start Moran will go wingback with foley an Twomey midfield that's what I'm thinking anyway. Molumphy will start wing forward IMO..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,800 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

would Shane O Sullivan had of left to go to the usa if we had a good league campaign and the camp was in a good state. ??

Something seems odd that a guranteed starter would put a summer job ahead of a guranteed championship place.

After the disapointment of the soccer tonight do Waterford people want to see Davy danicing with joy on the sideline (if they win fair and square tan what can we do?) and with Waterford having a short summer

Come on the deise we were wrote off before lets prove everyone wrong but from stuff that i heard (cant make public) the camp is in right ****.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    would Shane O Sullivan had of left to go to the usa if we had a good league campaign and the camp was in a good state. ??

Something seems odd that a guranteed starter would put a summer job ahead of a guranteed championship place.

After the disapointment of the soccer tonight do Waterford people want to see Davy danicing with joy on the sideline (if they win fair and square tan what can we do?) and with Waterford having a short summer

Come on the deise we were wrote off before lets prove everyone wrong but from stuff that i heard (cant make public) the camp is in right ****.

In fairness to sully he's been involved with the county for few years now i am nearly certain this is his last opportunity to go away on a J1 visa. Now I wouldn't begrudge a lad a break like that he's a dedicated fella no doubt there, he's only goin for 3 months not as if he's retired. I think we will beat Clare.. I wonder will Davy an ken have a go at each other at some stage given the small fact they don't like each other, an will Davy send Clare out similar to the tactics he used against Kilkenny in AI Final especially on the likes of Mullane..

Ya can't bate the munster championship up the Deise, Don't stop believing......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement