Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Here is my look back at the past weekend in the senior hurling championship.

Thanks to all those who have read what i had to say over the past few weeks, and thanks to those that are followers of the blog. T.K.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.com/

Its a very good blog Tom, fair play. Great to get detailed reports and also a snapshot of the club championships in both codes, interesting to see who got what scores ahead of the local papers!

You should come back and post on here though also, we miss ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Is that the Ballyduff Shane Kearney? Often wondered why he wasn't considered. Hes a class act that fellah. scored 4 goals in a championship match against Abbeyside last year completely ran riot. Remember Davy Fitz was sitting in front of me that day and thinking he must surely call him up to the panel

yup i know a cousin of his, he was saying davy wanted him but he just isn't interested seemingly

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

heard he has no interest in playing inter county
    Is that the Ballyduff Shane Kearney? Often wondered why he wasn't considered. Hes a class act that fellah. scored 4 goals in a championship match against Abbeyside last year completely ran riot. Remember Davy Fitz was sitting in front of me that day and thinking he must surely call him up to the panel
    He plays for dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Terrible news about john o leary and ozzy ryan, such a freak thing to happen, word is they will be gone for 3 months,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

hardybuck wrote: »
    Did many players play themselves in our out of contention for a start against Clare on the basis of their club form at the weekend?

Interesting to see that Kelly got 2-5, he could be worth bringing in from the bench.

Someone else mentioned Jamie Nagle I see. Personally I don't think he's good enough to play at the highest level, but we've a lot of injuries currently so who knows.

Bar 2008 when he was outstanding in midfield on our run to the final, Jamie has continually been played out of position, at half back and half forward. I would accept that his performances, out of position, have not been up to standard since then but he is in outstanding form at the moment (arguably the most in-form midfielder in the Championship) and I think he deserves a chance given the injuries/absentees that we face at the moment. Pairing him alongside Moran could help us fill the half forward line by pushing Molumphy up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Top drawer wrote: »
    Terrible news about john o leary and ozzy ryan, such a freak thing to happen, word is they will be gone for 3 months,

What happened them?

Cake Man wrote: »

What happened them?
    They recieved 3rd degree burns on their feet doing that cryotherapy down in wexford, in cork at moment getting skin grafts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

H'ON GALWAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Slow Show wrote: »
    H'ON GALWAY.

H'ON OFF TO THE GALWAY THREAD

They recieved 3rd degree burns on their feet doing that cryotherapy down in wexford, in cork at moment getting skin grafts

That's awful, hope they make a speedy recovery. Surely they could take some sort of legal action for damages could they? Or is cryotherapy one of those "enter at your own risk" type of treatments?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Hslaw wrote: »
    He plays for dungarvan.

Yourself and Calvin are talking abt different shane kearneys so

Cake Man wrote: »
    That's awful, hope they make a speedy recovery. Surely they could take some sort of legal action for damages could they? Or is cryotherapy one of those "enter at your own risk" type of treatments?

Doubt it. There has to be repercussions for something like that. big boo boo by someone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think a Shane Kearney plays for Lismore too! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

doz wrote: »
    Bar 2008 when he was outstanding in midfield on our run to the final, Jamie has continually been played out of position, at half back and half forward. I would accept that his performances, out of position, have not been up to standard since then but he is in outstanding form at the moment (arguably the most in-form midfielder in the Championship) and I think he deserves a chance given the injuries/absentees that we face at the moment. Pairing him alongside Moran could help us fill the half forward line by pushing Molumphy up.

I wouldn't get an opportunity to moniter his club form, but in basically every game I've seen him play for Waterford in the last three years I've been disappointed with both his distribution and his lack of pace.

While the pace thing could be solved my making positional moves or if he learned to read the game better - Brick Walsh for example, no excuse for the amount of ball he hits to the opposition.

I wouldn't have Molumphy on the field either if everyone was fit.

deisedude wrote: »
    I think a Shane Kearney plays for Lismore too! :P
    Lol surely one of them will make the team so

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Slow Show wrote: »
    H'ON GALWAY.

How inspiring..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Am I only one that rates Molumphy on here? He's a good player to have around the middle of the field, he's a workhorse, great at hassling and harrying and man marking. He's a workaholic, and a player like that is very valuable.

Am I only one that rates Molumphy on here? He's a good player to have around the middle of the field, he's a workhorse, great at hassling and harrying and man marking. He's a workaholic, and a player like that is very valuable.

Brilliant player, and he has a lot to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

All the speculation has been true, Boss Michael Ryan has confirmed goalkeeper Adrian Power has walked out of the inter county scene. Why though that's the question? He was in contention to start against Clare, I'm baffled to be honest.

All the speculation has been true, Boss Michael Ryan has confirmed goalkeeper Adrian Power has walked out of the inter county scene. Why though that's the question? He was in contention to start against Clare, I'm baffled to be honest.

the only link to this I can find. I wouldnt usually go by that silly joe.ie website but looks to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I haven't been able to get to as many games in the league or club championship this year, but I think his star has been fading over the past couple of years.

I think people are assuming he's doing great work, but if you looked at the game stats closely I wonder if this is the case. Chips in with his regular point per game also, but I think we need to see more from him, and more from the forward line in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

What are peoples opinion on the starting line up for the Clare game.?
    I assume Connors is now definitely out after coming off the weekend.

Heres the team I think will start

SOK
    A kearney Lawlor P mahony
    T Brown Brick W Hutchinson
    Moran Foley

M Shanahan S Pender E Kelly/ M O Neil
    J Mullane S Walsh G O'brien

Cant make up my mind if E Kelly should start or not.
    Also not sure if Hutchinson would be worth a shot at half back.
    Molumphy noteable absentee.

What are your thoughts.?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

The way I see it, the team more or less picks itself at the moment, but the following will be the big calls:
    • Who plays left half back. At the moment I'd go with Hutchinson, but Nagle, Daniels, Moran or even Foley could go in there depending on the midfield partnership
    • Midfield - I'd be very worried about pairing Moran and Foley together, but it might be the best option we have. Personally I think Twomey has all the ability, but would he be mentally tough enough to be thrown in against Clare? Other options include Molumphy, Paul O'Brien and Nagle again.
    • Half forward line - even more worrying than midfield. The line has been slowly getting weaker every year, with very little ball winning players in there. I'd go with S.Prender at centre forward, with Shanaghan and Gavin O'Brien at present. I think O'Brien will win more loose ball than O'Neill, who I'd move into the corner.
    • Eoin Kelly for impact sub for me, if and when we need him

HillFarmer wrote: »
    What are peoples opinion on the starting line up for the Clare game.?
    I assume Connors is now definitely out after coming off the weekend.

Heres the team I think will start

SOK
    A kearney Lawlor P mahony
    T Brown Brick W Hutchinson
    Moran Foley

M Shanahan S Pender E Kelly/ M O Neil
    J Mullane S Walsh G O'brien

Cant make up my mind if E Kelly should start or not.
    Also not sure if Hutchinson would be worth a shot at half back.
    Molumphy noteable absentee.

What are your thoughts.?

The only changes I'd probably make to that team would be Fives for Hutch if he's fit in time. I'm not sure who I'd pick to partner Moran at midfield, one of Foley/Molumphy/Twomey/Nagle. With the form Kelly is in, it'd be hard not to start him IMO.

Great player,okay he's a bit off form in recent years.but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

I see phil fanning has a report on the dungarvan game and the dunhill from the weekend in the news and star, interesting considering they were on the same time on sat nite in walsh park and fraher field,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Deise Abu 2012

A few clubs could make the quarter finals of the football championship this weekend.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.com/

I think everyone recognises his qualities, but if hes judged on the form he showed in 07 when he burst onto the scene I can understand why people tend to expect more from him. Hes a different type of player now. That team in 07 when we eventually lost the AI semi to Limerick played the best brand of hurling out of all the Waterford teams of the past 15 years. We were a joy to watch that year and I think Molumphy probably hurled above himself due to his application and the quality of forwards around him at the time. Himself and Kearney both came onto the team that year and played with a fearlessness that energised things as it was a few years since young emerging talent had broke onto the team. He ended up getting an allstar that year and deservedly so.
    When Davy Fitz came in after Justin went the quality of the hurling dipped all-round. The workrate increased no end, not that it would be a problem with the likes of Molumphy. But I think the roles hes was given under Davy Fitzs term didnt allow him to develop as a hurler the way he was developing under Justin.

On another note it looks like his clubmate Power is definetly gone. Whats peoples opinion in that? He was second choice behind Hennessy for years and when Hennessy retired this season it looked like management saw him as 3rd choice behind O'Keeffe and O'Regan. Its hard to blame him if thats the case sub goalies get a bum-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

On another note it looks like his clubmate Power is definetly gone. Whats peoples opinion in that? He was second choice behind Hennessy for years and when Hennessy retired this season it looked like management saw him as 3rd choice behind O'Keeffe and O'Regan. Its hard to blame him if thats the case sub goalies get a bum-deal

Joe.ie report Michael Ryan has confirmed Power has left the panel. Disappointed, I think he is the best keeper in the county and should be starting against Clare. O'Keefe has shown plenty of promise though, hope he is up to the task

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

hardybuck wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get to as many games in the league or club championship this year, but I think his star has been fading over the past couple of years.

I think people are assuming he's doing great work, but if you looked at the game stats closely I wonder if this is the case. Chips in with his regular point per game also, but I think we need to see more from him, and more from the forward line in general.

Mulumpy is one of the most intelligent players we have as well as being a real workhorse, lacking a bit of pace but great to bring others in to the game, rekon mid field is his position though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement