Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Also, I dispute full back being the most important posiition on a hurling field. If we had great full backs but no centre back, centre back would be the most important.

Think about it, if we had six good backs and no forwards, sure we'd still lose nearly all our games anyway! No such thing as an unimportant position and I think Centre back is probably the most important position in a team.

I think one of the main reasons waterford didnt win an AI over the past 10 years is that we didnt have a proper, solid consistent Full Back. Not since Sean Cullinane left in 01' anyway.

Think of all the great teams of the past 15-20 years or so. Each team was backboned by a dominant fullback that inspires confidence in those around him. We have had 3 of the best centre backs in the game with Hartley, McGrath and Brick, But we havent had a Fullback ultimately weve fallen short

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Any word on the roanmore dunhill game, i heard roanmore came back from 7 points down in first half did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

yeah roanmore were 7 points down just before half time and won by 2 in the end. not good for the heart!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Anyone aware whether any of the county management were at the Abbeyside v Dungarvan game last night? Jamie Nagle was absolutely outstanding again following on from a great performance against Ballygunner. He has never been given a chance at midfield since 2008 and given the absentees from the panel he must surely be coming into contention for a place in the XV on current form. He certainly impressed more than Richie Foley who to be fair is obviously still trying to get his match fitness and form back after his recent injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick really taking it to Tipp. Limerick winning by 6 now. Hopefully Clare don't do something similar to us in a few weeks. It really shows league form counts for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

doz wrote: »
    Anyone aware whether any of the county management were at the Abbeyside v Dungarvan game last night? Jamie Nagle was absolutely outstanding again following on from a great performance against Ballygunner. He has never been given a chance at midfield since 2008 and given the absentees from the panel he must surely be coming into contention for a place in the XV on current form. He certainly impressed more than Richie Foley who to be fair is obviously still trying to get his match fitness and form back after his recent injury.

Nagle was excellent alright and surely has to be given a start at midfield against Clare. Kenny Moore was very good aswell for Dungarvan and of the 2 teams last night they may be the more dissapointed with the result.

Fourmilewater looked comfortable today against Mt Sion and in Shane Walsh and Jamie Barron they have a lethal fullforward line. Barron's first touch is unreal and like all good players,always seems to have time on the ball.But they're more than just a 2 man team and have very good hurlers throughout the field none more so than Liam Lawlor at centre back and Seamus Lawlor at midfield.

Lismore were lucky in the end today and nearly got caught having led by 9 pts heading in to the last 10 mins. Credit to Passage for never throwing in the towel and it was good to see Eoin Kelly on fire again. Sad to see Noel Connors going off injured again and he now must look very doubtful for the Clare game.
    For Lismore it was the usual suspects cropping up with the scores as in the Shanahans and the Prendergasts but they were more than assisted by Ray Barry at midfield who was brilliant i thought from start to finish.He is one of the most stylish midfielders on show in this year's championship without a shadow of a doubt.

De La Salle 4.20

Tallow 0.09

Wasn't at it but by the sounds of it i'd say it was one way traffic.

Padraig Prendergast from Lismore has been brought in to the Senior set up again this evening having been dropped off it 6 weeks ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What do you mean about lar Corbett Mountainlad? What are you trying to say? That he wasn't as good back in '08?

He came to life in 2008. Before that he was nothing special.
    I think one of the main reasons waterford didnt win an AI over the past 10 years is that we didnt have a proper, solid consistent Full Back. Not since Sean Cullinane left in 01' anyway.

Think of all the great teams of the past 15-20 years or so. Each team was backboned by a dominant fullback that inspires confidence in those around him. We have had 3 of the best centre backs in the game with Hartley, McGrath and Brick, But we havent had a Fullback ultimately weve fallen short

I'm not saying it isn't important, but to be fair when have we not had a good center back?

So you couldn't really see that it's more important based on that, because you don't know what we'd be like if we didn't have a good center back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Anyone know who got the Mount Sion goal today. Those around me were watching to see who was going on and off for Fourmilewater at the time and missed the score. Was talking to someone after the game and said they could not remember who took the free but Conor Ryan made a major cock up with dealing with the shot, left it drop in or something.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Anyone know who got the Mount Sion goal today. Those around me were watching to see who was going on and off for Fourmilewater at the time and missed the score. Was talking to someone after the game and said they could not remember who took the free but Conor Ryan made a major cock up with dealing with the shot, left it drop in or something.

O'Neill I'd say. Exact same thing happened to me. Something I was wondering after the match was, was there too many on the field? I saw a Fourmile sub come on but didn't see a player go off, that's what I was looking for.

Question for ya Black Suir, what did you make of Paul Foley? I thought he was absolutely atrocious. Seen him a few times now, finding it hard to understand how he's allowed referee these games. That may sound harsh to some but I'm afraid some refs need to hear a few home truths. As difficult a job as it is, I don't see that it's too much to ask for a certain standard to be expected in a ref, especially seen as he is charged with ensuring the safety of the players on the field and I felt that was jeopardised at one stage during the match.

• Advertisement

O'Neill I'd say. Exact same thing happened to me. Something I was wondering after the match was, was there too many on the field? I saw a Fourmile sub come on but didn't see a player go off, that's what I was looking for.

Question for ya Black Suir, what did you make of Paul Foley? I thought he was absolutely atrocious. Seen him a few times now, finding it hard to understand how he's allowed referee these games. That may sound harsh to some but I'm afraid some refs need to hear a few home truths. As difficult a job as it is, I don't see that it's too much to ask for a certain standard to be expected in a ref, especially seen as he is charged with ensuring the safety of the players on the field and I felt that was jeopardised at one stage during the match.

Fourmile had 17 players on the field when the free was taken so, the free should not be allowed to be taken. There has to be more communication between officials when it comes to subs, especially in the senior grade. The lines man should give the referee a signal to say that the players that are coming off have done so before the referee allows the game to start.

As for your question on Paul Foley. I am not going to answer it. I seldom comment on a referee's performance, unless i feel he made a total balls of a game. I will say however, I have seen Paul referee a few times in the last few years, and most times, i feel he has done a good job with his task.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skip64

Was at Bushy Park yesterday... Two Intermediate Hurling matches. Excellent weather, with field looking exceptionally well.
    Not able to say same about some of the antics from players / mentors for one of the matches.
    WHY... Are such matches played at locations that have open field access to player/mentors & supporters.
    It's more that likely not going to change until someone is seriously hurt... And more than likely a kid!!

Waterford GAA... What is your H&S commitment????

Kind Regards - GAA fan...

skip64 wrote: »
    Was at Bushy Park yesterday... Two Intermediate Hurling matches. Excellent weather, with field looking exceptionally well.
    Not able to say same about some of the antics from players / mentors for one of the matches.
    WHY... Are such matches played at locations that have open field access to player/mentors & supporters.
    It's more that likely not going to change until someone is seriously hurt... And more than likely a kid!!

Well there is a limited amount of pitches they can use, and only a certain number of weekends in the year. They can't all play in Wlash park and Fraher field, and Kilmacthomas is a health hazard in my opinion because the fence is way to tight to the sideline. After that you've cappoquin, is there anywhere else with open access?

Players and management have a responsibility to conduct themselves properly and you'd hope that they'd honour that, doesn't always happen though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Well there is a limited amount of pitches they can use, and only a certain number of weekends in the year. They can't all play in Wlash park and Fraher field, and Kilmacthomas is a health hazard in my opinion because the fence is way to tight to the sideline. After that you've cappoquin, is there anywhere else with open access?

Players and management have a responsibility to conduct themselves properly and you'd hope that they'd honour that, doesn't always happen though unfortunately.

So we should be looking to have more fences around more pitches? That should solve the problem.

Kill and Portlaw also have fences by the way. Stradbally also if I remember correctly?

Dont know what happened in Bushy Park yesterday, but if there was any bad behaviour from mentors/players etc at games not just the one you refer to, with the county board is such dire straits, if they were to announce at the next county board meeting they were going to come down heavily on clubs who have players/mentors/officers etc who misbehave on the line by fining them, and not just muckey mouse €50 or €100 fines, maybe it might open the eyes of some chairmen, treasurers and secretaries and they would warn their players before games.

hardybuck wrote: »
    So we should be looking to have more fences around more pitches? That should solve the problem.

Kill and Portlaw also have fences by the way. Stradbally also if I remember correctly?

So do Lemybrien, Lismore, Colligan and Ardmore.

Nope, subs and mentors would still easily access the field. Very rare that you see a big riot with the crowd involved. Haven't actually seen anything like that myself. Closest thing was when Lismore played Ballygunner there several years ago in a semi or quarter final, I remember Michael Wadding and his umpires had to leave the field promptly as a number of Lismore fans came down from the stands and were fit to kill them.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Fourmile had 17 players on the field when the free was taken so, the free should not be allowed to be taken. There has to be more communication between officials when it comes to subs, especially in the senior grade. The lines man should give the referee a signal to say that the players that are coming off have done so before the referee allows the game to start.

As for your question on Paul Foley. I am not going to answer it. I seldom comment on a referee's performance, unless i feel he made a total balls of a game. I will say however, I have seen Paul referee a few times in the last few years, and most times, i feel he has done a good job with his task.

There usually isn't an issue and later on a quick free was stopped because a player was coming on to the field. That was surely a big mistake from the ref.

Fair enough if you don't want to comment on referees. Wouldn't make a habit of it myself but I do have to draw the line somewhere, and I can assure you it didn't take long for me to draw it yesterday.

Nope, subs and mentors would still easily access the field. Very rare that you see a big riot with the crowd involved. Haven't actually seen anything like that myself. Closest thing was when Lismore played Ballygunner there several years ago in a semi or quarter final, I remember Michael Wadding and his umpires had to leave the field promptly as a number of Lismore fans came down from the stands and were fit to kill them.

I've seen supporters climbing fences on at least three occasions, two of which I was playing. One was in Walsh Park, one was in a small rural venue who's name escapes me, and the third was in a county final in another county. A group of fans got through a gate and chased the rival team's star player down the length of the field to the dressing rooms. Luckily he got there first, he would have been lynched.

On the topic of fences also, I can't believe how the likes of Walsh Park and Fraher can get away with just putting up a couple of lines of wire at the part of the fence which is head high for anyone walking by. A lot of people with young children and buggies sit in the front rows, its only a matter of time before a ball comes through and hurts somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Saw the 2nd game in Bushy yesterday, there were a few skirmishes but nothing of significance to be honest, is it the 2nd game you were referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So will Eoin Kelly be starting for Waterford on the 17th June ??. I heard Noels Connors went off injured again (he would be better suited too miss this years championship instead of making his injury worse).

Do you think Waterford could of beat Tipperary on there performance yesterday ??

I've seen supporters climbing fences on at least three occasions, two of which I was playing. One was in Walsh Park, one was in a small rural venue who's name escapes me, and the third was in a county final in another county. A group of fans got through a gate and chased the rival team's star player down the length of the field to the dressing rooms. Luckily he got there first, he would have been lynched.

On the topic of fences also, I can't believe how the likes of Walsh Park and Fraher can get away with just putting up a couple of lines of wire at the part of the fence which is head high for anyone walking by. A lot of people with young children and buggies sit in the front rows, its only a matter of time before a ball comes through and hurts somebody.

Ok, so what point are you making exactly? I never said anything about fences solving anything. In terms of what I said about riots, three occasions isn't huge considering the amount of games you've probably been at.

I suppose the objection would be a fence would interfere with your viewing, but I can see your point all the same.

Ok, so what point are you making exactly? I never said anything about fences solving anything. In terms of what I said about riots, three occasions isn't huge considering the amount of games you've probably been at.

I suppose the objection would be a fence would interfere with your viewing, but I can see your point all the same.

Ah now, three instances of fans entering the field to attack players or a referee is pretty bad in any timeframe. I was just continuing on from your point about having never witnessed any of these incidents.

My real point though is the danger element that I made reference to. Even in Thurles yesterday there is pretty much nothing seperating the spectators and a ball into the face.

Did many players play themselves in our out of contention for a start against Clare on the basis of their club form at the weekend?

Interesting to see that Kelly got 2-5, he could be worth bringing in from the bench.

Someone else mentioned Jamie Nagle I see. Personally I don't think he's good enough to play at the highest level, but we've a lot of injuries currently so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Did many players play themselves in our out of contention for a start against Clare on the basis of their club form at the weekend?

Interesting to see that Kelly got 2-5, he could be worth bringing in from the bench.

Someone else mentioned Jamie Nagle I see. Personally I don't think he's good enough to play at the highest level, but we've a lot of injuries currently so who knows.

Shane karney is another brilliant hurler. I dunno how he's not on the county panel.

Has anyone any idea who are Waterford's intermediate hurling selectors for the munster championship against Clare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Hslaw wrote: »
    Shane karney is another brilliant hurler. I dunno how he's not on the county panel.

heard he has no interest in playing inter county

heard he has no interest in playing inter county

Is that the Ballyduff Shane Kearney? Often wondered why he wasn't considered. Hes a class act that fellah. scored 4 goals in a championship match against Abbeyside last year completely ran riot. Remember Davy Fitz was sitting in front of me that day and thinking he must surely call him up to the panel

lol I remember that well I was behind the goals at the road/river end where all hell broke loose! Thing about it was the Ref actuallly didnt have that bad a game, Lismore left something like an 11 point lead slip and as soon as the final whistle went they all went straight for the ref he was actually assaulted if memory serves me right but for some reason he never pursued the matter further.
    The scenes were all over the examiner the Monday morning and so much so that Brian Corcoran even mentioned it in his book... that 'every monday morning there was big fights all over the papers between the big waterford clubs so how could they be a team' Even though it only happened once.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Deise Abu 2012

Here is my look back at the past weekend in the senior hurling championship.

Thanks to all those who have read what i had to say over the past few weeks, and thanks to those that are followers of the blog. T.K.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement