Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone else have any fear about June 17th.. ??. We are missing quite a number of players because of travel reasons/injurys etc and davy knws us like the back of his hand.

We could possilby be out of the championship on July 7th. If we lose to Clare we will have to play either Dublin,Wexford, Offaly, Galway or Kilkenny.

30 euro for a covered stand ticket, 25 for an uncovered stand ticket is a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

my team for the 17th.

1 Adrian Power

2 Aidan Kearney
    3 Liam Lawlor
    4 Philip Mahoney

5 Tony Browne
    6 Michael Brick Walsh
    7 David O Sullivan

8 Stephen Molumphy
    9 Kevin Moran

10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Martin O Neill

13 John Mullane
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Gavin O Brian

Eoin Kelly and Noel Connors first choice subs if fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

PTH2009 wrote: »
    knws us like the back of his hand.

We could possilby be out of the championship on July 7th. If we lose to Clare we will have to play either Dublin,Wexford, Offaly, Galway or Kilkenny.

30 euro for a covered stand ticket, 25 for an uncovered stand ticket is a bit steep.

I know that Davys knows us like the back of his hand, but we also know Davy. and we know that Davy don't have a plan B IMO... I don't think we will get beat, and I think that the team you name out is a good team, the back line is good, all guys tried and tested bar mahoney and o'sullivan, same from mid field up to forwards, 2 rookies in martin o'neill and gavin o'brien.... Clare also have some young uns' in there team.... Now that isn't to say this team are any world beaters, but neither are Clare, and if we can hurl them and not mix the game with them physically we should win it. This will be a very good test of our squad if we can overcome them. And of Dublin,Wexford, Offaly, Galway or Kilkenny I'd only fear KK tbh.... untill Dublin and Galway start beating us in the championship then i will fear them.....

thankfully this isn't like the days of old when we hadn't a bench and one injury would totally unbalance our team....you are right to be cautious about this game, but we can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Where did you hear that? How much for a terrace ticket, €20 I suppose?

Disgraceful prices for a Munster semi final, that would be too dear for a Munster final IMO. With lower prices I doubt they'd even reach 20,000 attendance, with those prices I doubt it will hit 15,000. They haven't learned from the extremely poor attendances in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

my team for the 17th.

1 Adrian Power

2 Aidan Kearney
    3 Liam Lawlor
    4 Philip Mahoney

5 Tony Browne
    6 Michael Brick Walsh
    7 David O Sullivan

8 Stephen Molumphy
    9 Kevin Moran

10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Martin O Neill

13 John Mullane
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Gavin O Brian

Eoin Kelly and Noel Connors first choice subs if fit.

If your not starting Richie Foley then surely he must be one of your first subs too!

I'd agree with that maybe bar David o Sullivan at wing back. He hasn't been great in the last few challenge games. I thought he was a fair bit off the pace against Wexford the last day. Stick Richie foley in there and your sorted.

Actually I'd also have Sok in goal. Im fairly sure this is going to be the case as I think Adrian may have left the panel. Can't confirm that but it's what I've heard.

Realistically if Noel Connors is to be involved in thurles he needs to play a bit of a part in this weekends game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

glick6 wrote: »
    If your not starting Richie Foley then surely he must be one of your first subs too!

I'd agree with that maybe bar David o Sullivan at wing back. He hasn't been great in the last few challenge games. I thought he was a fair bit off the pace against Wexford the last day. Stick Richie foley in there and your sorted.

Actually I'd also have Sok in goal. Im fairly sure this is going to be the case as I think Adrian may have left the panel. Can't confirm that but it's what I've heard.

Realistically if Noel Connors is to be involved in thurles he needs to play a bit of a part in this weekends game.

Ur a big fan of richie foley anyway. I wouldnt necessarily say 'ur sorted' but I couldnt see David O'Sullivan starting either. The management actually showed more interest in Stephen Daniels during the league. Id like to see Power get the chance he deserves in goals but it looks like SOK is their no. 1. If these rumours about Power being off the panel are kicking off again I dont know but he was playing the challenge aginst Wex last week.

Id have huge reservations about the Clare game. I think Davy Fitz knows a lot more about his team after a successful league. I really dont know where were at to be honest, who knows what kind of a team we'll be on June 17th. Need to be a hell of a lot better than we were in the league anyway. The only big plus that came out of the league was the change of personnel in management. I know we somehow escaped relegation in the end but that cant deflect from the fact we were just awful in the first 3 games and we survived by beating a Dublin second string side which had nothing to play for while it was a must win game for us. That one-point win over Galway is the one game we can realistically take confidence from.

The big alarm bell ringing for me is shane o'sullivan deciding to head off. I know sully well and anyone else who does knows that he lives and breathes the game. Im not sure of his reasoning other than he wants to go to take a break but its not a great sign. Hes a massive loss

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Ballyduff beat ballygunner by 3 points, another big shock

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Ballygunner in a spot of bother as they didn't look any bit impressive tonight. This group is wide open now and there will be a lot of teams fancying their chances of topping the group. Passage and Lismore will be interesting now as both will see it as an opportunity to pick up valuable points. Dungarvan and Abbeyside are right in the mix aswell with both having 2 points on the board,a win for either side could qualify them at this stage. It will get very interesting if Passage were to beat Lismore,this would put them on 4 points,joining Lismore and either Abbeyside or Dungarvan would join them with a win so there's everything to play for.
    Mt Sion in the other group are in trouble aswell and have to beat Fourmilewater to realistically have any hope of qualifying. Dunhill,if they beat Roanmore will probably qualify.Not many would have forecast this senario at the start of the year! Who said it was going to be a boring Championship?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That's another shock with Ballyduff beating Ballygunner. You'd still fancy BG to make the knockout stages but ideally, they would have been aiming to top the group.
    but he (Power) was playing the challenge aginst Wex last week.

Power wasn't involved at all last week unfortunately, SOK played the first half and Iggy the second half. Have heard he left the panel aswell but don't know what the story is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ur a big fan of richie foley anyway. I wouldnt necessarily say 'ur sorted' but I couldnt see David O'Sullivan starting either. The management actually showed more interest in Stephen Daniels during the league. Id like to see Power get the chance he deserves in goals but it looks like SOK is their no. 1. If these rumours about Power being off the panel are kicking off again I dont know but he was playing the challenge aginst Wex last week.

Id have huge reservations about the Clare game. I think Davy Fitz knows a lot more about his team after a successful league. I really dont know where were at to be honest, who knows what kind of a team we'll be on June 17th. Need to be a hell of a lot better than we were in the league anyway. The only big plus that came out of the league was the change of personnel in management. I know we somehow escaped relegation in the end but that cant deflect from the fact we were just awful in the first 3 games and we survived by beating a Dublin second string side which had nothing to play for while it was a must win game for us. That one-point win over Galway is the one game we can realistically take confidence from.

The big alarm bell ringing for me is shane o'sullivan deciding to head off. I know sully well and anyone else who does knows that he lives and breathes the game. Im not sure of his reasoning other than he wants to go to take a break but its not a great sign. Hes a massive loss

Detective Deisebhoy on the case again, he must from Abbeyside then is he? :rolleyes:

I read in the Observer that it is strongly rumoured Power has left the panel again, so I'd say it's definetly true if that many people are on about it.

Ballygunner are clearly struggling without Paudi Mahony and I dunno would I be fancying them at all given they'll be missing Brian and Shane Sully when they play Lismore and Passage, and they've just lost to the worst team in their group. It'll quite likely be a stronger Passage outfit too with Noel Connors returning. I'm really suprised how difficult they've found it, whereas you wouldn't be too suprised to see Mount Sion struggling, although I must admit I didn't expect Dunhill to pick up a point against anyone barring maybe Roanmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Looking forward to the Dungarvan/ Abbeyside game,should be a good game.
    I think it was the 50's or 60's when they last played each other in championship hurling at senior level. I'm not 100% sure on that.

It ended a draw.1-15 to 18 points
    I must say the ref would have being better off of he wore his abbeyside jersy
    Great game though

Hslaw wrote: »
    Great game though

Ah no, I'd say he wouldn't now to be honest.

Who reffed it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Great game though

Not sure I can quite agree with the comment in relation to the ref! While Abbeyside were certainly the more physical side (as you would expect, given the huge difference in size between the two teams), I didn't think there was anything particularly untoward bar an unecessary spat close to half time. I thought the game was played in a tremendous spririt throughout and both teams deserve a lot of credit for what was a very entertaining game of hurling. Draw was probably the right result although Dungarvan will probably feel that they should have held on to win. The big plus from this result is that both teams are now probably safe from relegation and still have a chance of making the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Have heard Lawlor hasn't been training with the intercounty team the past month and Kearney is more than likely going to start full back against Clare. I presume that will mean Daniels playing corner back

Looks like its going to be a short summer the way things are going :(

deisedude wrote: »
    Have heard Lawlor hasn't been training with the intercounty team the past month and Kearney is more than likely going to start full back against Clare. I presume that will mean Daniels playing corner back

Looks like its going to be a short summer the way things are going :(

Nah, Lawlor will be full back. Don't think he does a lot of training with the County on account of his knees, but he played for Fourmilewater against both DLS and Roanmore, and played very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Great entertainment in the Fraher field tonight. Real championship tie with some great scores.Jamie Nagle was outstanding for Dungarvan along with Gavin Crotty and Kenny Moore. Young Evan Collins cornerback for Abbeyside looked useful as did Michael O Halloran and "Furry"Ferncombe. More games like this is what we need in the Championship,it gets the blood flowing and i'm looking forward to the 2 games tomorrow hopefully they will be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Nah, Lawlor will be full back. Don't think he does a lot of training with the County on account of his knees, but he played for Fourmilewater against both DLS and Roanmore, and played very well too.

I thought it was strange but are they really going to rely on someone who is struggling to train?

deisedude wrote: »
    I thought it was strange but are they really going to rely on someone who is struggling to train?

Yes they are. But I don't think it's a case of him struggling to train, he's just limited in what he does, which I would have said is smart management from both the player and management. It's a big failing in the GAA that every player is expected to do the same training, and be ever present. Training should be tailored for certain individuals to accomodate specific requirements they have in realtion to injuries and such.

I have heard that Eamon O'Shea idin't ask Lar Corbett to do certain training because of troubles he had in the past with hamstring injuries and also because his game is based around his pace, thus he didn't need to be overloaded with heavy physical training, and would have to say it worked wonders for the player and County.

That's just my view on it, dunno what others think about it. Could understand the concerns, but I'd say Kearney was just being prepped in case Lawlor did get injured. And I'd say Daniels probably would be drafted in at corner if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

Great game though.

Ah to be honest now I dunno what your talkin about there I thought pat Casey was very fair .. Draw was fairest result no team deserved to lose .. Physicality is a part of gaa now incase you didn't know ... That game was what the championship needed... Proper entertainment

• Advertisement

Great game though
    Ah no, I'd say he wouldn't now to be honest.
    Who reffed it?

Pat Casey
    Richie foley pulling and dragging young Ryan donnaly ( who is only 17 )and caused the big scene before half Time. If he focused on his hurling instead of picking on minors,we'd all be better off,

It was a great game. in fairness I suppose a draw is a fair result,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Pat Casey
    Richie foley pulling and dragging young Ryan donnaly ( who is only 17 )and caused the big scene before half Time. If he focused on his hurling instead of picking on minors,we'd all be better off,

what difference does it make what age he is? hes playing senior and thats that! and ryan did more holding of evan collins hurley for the game than i've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

Pat Casey

To be fair now age doesn't come into it Ryan Donnelly was giving as good as he got .. U wudnt see a fella from dls or ballygunner sayin oh sorry I better not rough u up your only 17..he wasn't shy standing up for himself which is proper order to just don't buy into this he's only a young fella crap... And anyway he only got a shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Great game though

I think your forgetting the definate penalty he never award when ferncombe was fouled?

Yes they are. But I don't think it's a case of him struggling to train, he's just limited in what he does, which I would have said is smart management from both the player and management. It's a big failing in the GAA that every player is expected to do the same training, and be ever present. Training should be tailored for certain individuals to accomodate specific requirements they have in realtion to injuries and such.

I have heard that Eamon O'Shea idin't ask Lar Corbett to do certain training because of troubles he had in the past with hamstring injuries and also because his game is based around his pace, thus he didn't need to be overloaded with heavy physical training, and would have to say it worked wonders for the player and County.

That's just my view on it, dunno what others think about it. Could understand the concerns, but I'd say Kearney was just being prepped in case Lawlor did get injured. And I'd say Daniels probably would be drafted in at corner if that happened.

I admire your enthusiasm but its not good news at all. The only realistic option at fullback we have hasnt been training with the rest of his team mates in the lead up to championship because of long-term concern with his knees?
    I know your agument about Lar Corbett but were not talking about Corbett here. Lawlor is still at a stage where hes growing into the fullback position and needs to be playing there regularly. The fullback position is the most pivotal to all hurling teams imo and you need to develop a huge understanding with your goalkeeper and 2 corner backs, which Lawlor cant do while hes sitting on the sidelines for training games and challenge matches. Smart management you might call it but it looks to me that they have been left with no other alternative. Aiden Kearney is not a full back either we learned that against KK in the AI semi in 09'. Maybe its time to look to the future and start blooding the likes of Darragh Fives who could be a long term prospect in this position

Detective Deisebhoy on the case again, he must from Abbeyside then is he? :rolleyes:

No your wrong there. Just wouldnt rate the player as highly as that poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

just to update everyone: roanmore beat dunhill in walsh park tonight by 2 points (1-16 to 2-11 i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Abbeyside 1-15 Dungarvan 0-18

Local rivals Abbeyside and Dungarvan shared the spoils in a very entertaining and hard fought senior hurling championship encounter in Fraher Field earlier tonight. Championship games beween these two clubs have been quite rare (the last apparently was in 1977), which is a pity, as this game drew easily the biggest attendance in this year’s competition on a warm, sun-drenched evening. Indeed, the strong late evening sun caused some difficulties for the players, although the stiff breeze blowing toward the country goal had an even bigger influence on proceedings.

Abbeyside had first use of the wind, the strength of which can be gauged by the fact that one of their first half puckouts landed about thirty yards from the Dungarvan goal and then bounced out over the end line – a rare occurrence even in hurling. The Villagers dominated the early proceedings, and a couple of early points suggested that they migh rack up a big first half lead. However, dogged defending and clever play allowed Dungarvan to weather the early storm and claw their way back into the game. Even when they conceded a goal midway through the first half (Patrick Hurney finishing a well-delivered sideline by John Gorman to the net) they never panicked and went in at half time 1-9 to 0-8 in arrears, a manageable deficit given the strength of the wind.

Dungarvan generally looked to be much better coached than Abbeyside, and their first touch and close skills were superior. Being physically smaller than their opponents, they sought to minimise the delivery of 50/50 balls, while playing against the wind, they also avoided hit-and-hope clearances, opting instead to work the ball out of defence, using low 30-40 yard stick passes to great effect. In the second half, by contrast, Abbeyside resorted to a lot of aimless clearances, which was not very clever as they had withdrawn one of their forwards to a deep role, which meant that Dungarvan always had a loose defender in the half back zone to gobble up clearances coming out of the Abbeyside defence.

That said, it took Dungarvan quite some time to make any impact on the Abbeyside lead, but half way through the second half they got on a roll which saw them gradually reel the Village in, and when they hit the front with ten minutes left, only one result seemed likely. However, the surprise introduction of Gary Hurney at this stage played a key role in stopping the rot as far as Abbeyside were concerned. Two points behind with normal time running out, it looked like Abbeyside would need a goal to survive, and when captain Mark Ferncome’s shot went over rather than under the crossbar the game seemed up for the Villagers, especially when a good Karl Duggan point restored Dungarvan’s two-point advantage.

However, when an additional five minutes play was announced (due mainly to a lengthy stoppage for an injury to Abbeyside’s Mark Gorman) Abbeyside knew they had a lifeline. A superb point from the right wing by substitute Eoin Enright reduced the deficit to the minimum, and with the last puck of the game, Michael O’Halloran, who had taken over the freetaking duties from Gorman, coolly converted a 65 to give Abbeyside a share of the spoils.

This was a game to remember for O’Halloran, a first cousin of Clashmore’s Brian and up to now better known as a footballer. He celebrated his championship debut with a five-point haul, including two excellent scores from play in the first half, a superb sideline and two converted frees in the second half, including the last-gasp equaliser.

Dungarvan will feel they should have won this game, as they certainly had the chances to do so, but their wides tally of twelve was exactly twice that of Abbeyside, with three of them coming in added time in the second half. On the other hand, Abbeyside will feel aggrieved at some of referee Pat Casey’s decisionmaking, particularly his failure to award them a penalty just after half time when Mark Ferncombe was clearly fouled as he bore down on the Dungarvan goal having collected an excellent pass from Mark Fives.

This is a talented young Dungarvan team, at least ten of whom (by my count) have played for Waterford at some level or other. If they stay together and can find a good target man up front they could well become a force at this level. For me, their best player on the night was Kenny Moore at the heart of their defence. Apart from Michael O’Halloran, Abbeyside will have been very pleased with the performances of two young defenders, Evan Collins and Maurice Power. John Hurney turned in a big second half performance when the pressure on the Abbeyside defence was at its height, while James O’Mahoney also did well when he replaced Mark Gorman in midfield. However, Richie Foley was largely anonymous throughout.

Abbeyside: Stephen Enright; Evan Collins; Shane Briggs; Gavin Breen; Richie Foley; John Hurney; Maurice Power; Mark Gorman (0-3, one free); Sean O’Hare; Mark Fives; John Gorman; Michael O’Halloran (0-5, one free, one 65, one sidelines); Mark Ferncombe (0-4); Patrick Hurney (1-2); Shane Crotty. Substitutes: James O’Mahoney; Patrick Lynch; Gary Hurney; Eoin Enright (0-1); John Phelan.

Dungarvan: Darren Duggan; Luke Egan; Derek Barry; Conor Sheridan; Shane Kearney; Kenny Moore; John Paul Tutty; Jamie Nagle (0-3, one free); Colm Curran (0-2); Eoin Healy (0-2); Sean Ryan; Cormac Curran (0-6, five frees); Karl Duggan (0-2); Gavin Crotty (0-3); Ryan Donnelly. Substitutes: Jason O’Mahoney; Kevin Daly; David Houlihan.

I admire your enthusiasm but its not good news at all. The only realistic option at fullback we have hasnt been training with the rest of his team mates in the lead up to championship because of long-term concern with his knees?
    I know your agument about Lar Corbett but were not talking about Corbett here. Lawlor is still at a stage where hes growing into the fullback position and needs to be playing there regularly. The fullback position is the most pivotal to all hurling teams imo and you need to develop a huge understanding with your goalkeeper and 2 corner backs, which Lawlor cant do while hes sitting on the sidelines for training games and challenge matches. Smart management you might call it but it looks to me that they have been left with no other alternative. Aiden Kearney is not a full back either we learned that against KK in the AI semi in 09'. Maybe its time to look to the future and start blooding the likes of Darragh Fives who could be a long term prospect in this position

The alternative would be him training all the time, and getting an injury and then we'd have no full back for championship anyway. They are left with no alternative if they think about it rationally yes, but how often do you say players deciding/being forced to play on with injuries which is a very short sighted view that is often punished. I'm not saying it's genius management, but it's good management, and whether it's the management or the player that is enforcing it or both I have no idea.

Who was Lar Corbett in 2008? I know he'd been around a long time with Tipp, but he was just another passenger on the Eoin Kelly driven team. O'Shea and Sheedy's foresight and willingness to be unconventional played a key role in the success they achieved with Tipp.

Fives is injured at the moment, and I dunno that he is a full back. Maybe he'll end up there, but he seems to enjoy the half back line more.

Also, I dispute full back being the most important posiition on a hurling field. If we had great full backs but no centre back, centre back would be the most important.

Think about it, if we had six good backs and no forwards, sure we'd still lose nearly all our games anyway! No such thing as an unimportant position and I think Centre back is probably the most important position in a team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

The alternative would be him training all the time, and getting an injury and then we'd have no full back for championship anyway. They are left with no alternative if they think about it rationally yes, but how often do you say players deciding/being forced to play on with injuries which is a very short sighted view that is often punished. I'm not saying it's genius management, but it's good management, and whether it's the management or the player that is enforcing it or both I have no idea.

Who was Lar Corbett in 2008? I know he'd been around a long time with Tipp, but he was just another passenger on the Eoin Kelly driven team. O'Shea and Sheedy's foresight and willingness to be unconventional played a key role in the success they achieved with Tipp.

Fives is injured at the moment, and I dunno that he is a full back. Maybe he'll end up there, but he seems to enjoy the half back line more.

Also, I dispute full back being the most important posiition on a hurling field. If we had great full backs but no centre back, centre back would be the most important.

Think about it, if we had six good backs and no forwards, sure we'd still lose nearly all our games anyway! No such thing as an unimportant position and I think Centre back is probably the most important position in a team.

What do you mean about lar Corbett Mountainlad? What are you trying to say? That he wasn't as good back in '08?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement