Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

comeraghs wrote: »
    I wouldn't be counting Tourin out of the inter hurling, There aren't a bad team at all & they surely proved that by beating Ardmore, I'd fancy them to beat Cappoquin in the West final.

I too would fancy Tourin to beat Cappoquin, but would fear for them if they were to go up to Senior next year.

It will be interesting to see who the Western Board pick to referee the game. There two best referee's are Cappoquin men, Pat Casey and Tommy O'Sullivan. After that while there is some good referee's you would have to wonder how strong they would be in the course of a game like this. There could be a bit of needle there between the two sides as they are from the same Parish. Maybe they might go against tradition and bring Michael Wadding to referee the game.

The venue could also be interesting. There is some that say it should be in Lismore as it has the best hurling surface in the west of the county. One thing however that could go against the venue is the facilities. Will people want to part with their money to stand on a grass bank for the final.

LOL, I did hear someone say that the Western Board should make it a real Parish Affair and play it in Melleray.

comeraghs wrote: »
    I was at 3 of the senior semi-finals. Ballygunner were for me the most impressive team I saw this weekend. & the 2nd most impressive FMW.

I was at three games as well and would question what you say. While Ballygunner did play very good in the first half, as did Fourmilewater for much of the opening 30 minutes as well, in the second half Ballygunner scored just three points and two of them were from frees. A return like that in other games will hardly get you far. Fourmilewater were by far the better team in the second half yesterday and had they took their points from two 20 metre frees in the second half the game could have had a different finish. The players should have been reminded that if they did go for their points that th goals would come. And even if they did not come, if they kept putting the ball over the bar they were eating into Ballygunners 11 point half time advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    I too would fancy Tourin to beat Cappoquin, but would fear for them if they were to go up to Senior next year.

It will be interesting to see who the Western Board pick to referee the game. There two best referee's are Cappoquin men, Pat Casey and Tommy O'Sullivan. After that while there is some good referee's you would have to wonder how strong they would be in the course of a game like this. There could be a bit of needle there between the two sides as they are from the same Parish. Maybe they might go against tradition and bring Michael Wadding to referee the game.

The venue could also be interesting. There is some that say it should be in Lismore as it has the best hurling surface in the west of the county. One thing however that could go against the venue is the facilities. Will people want to part with their money to stand on a grass bank for the final.

LOL, I did hear someone say that the Western Board should make it a real Parish Affair and play it in Melleray.

Haven't seen an awful lot of Cappoquin, saw Tourin play last year missing Shane Fives. Dunno who else they were missing, but if that was it then they were quite poor now. I think if they emmalgumated (that could be horrific spelling :P) they'd be a decent Senior team, maybe up to Abbeyside's standard, certainly staying up. If Tourin were in the Senior championship they'd be destroyed by at least 6 teams.

As for Pat Casey I don't agree. Never once impressed with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I saw the draw taking place a little bit away from me, and would say if most neutrals could get their hands on the person that done the draw they would ring their neck. De La Salle and Ballygunner would make a very good final.

what a ridiculous thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

I know I was wrong three times this weekend (the call on Fourmile was largely influenced by the shock the day before) but I'd be shocked, honestly have it down as one of the greatest shocks I've seen in hurling if either of them won it out. Ballyduff destroyed Ballygunner (nine points I think it was) in the group stages that year. They had Mike Molumphy and Pa Kearney. They are no older and not as good. Tallow winning was more of a shock to me, but then I wouldn't see Lismore being beyond complacency. If they were to achieve a 18 point turn around against Ballygunner, it really would be something. And if De La Salle were to beat Ballygunner, they'd have to beat a team that beat the team that beat them by 17 points...I really don't need to go on.

True, Ballyduff have certainly gone back from 2007 but they have such great heart i'd never right them off. I havent actually seen Tallow play this year so I won't comment but their form the last few years has always erred between brilliant or horrific!

As for the comparing scorelines to predict the result i'd take that with a pinch of salt. Remember people were doing the same with Galway against us

My point is i'm ever the optimist rather than i'm disagreeing with you :pac:

• Advertisement

what a ridiculous thing to say

Why, I am sure most people would have loved to see a Ballygunner and De La Salle final. They are the best two teams in the county right now.

deisedude wrote: »
    True, Ballyduff have certainly gone back from 2007 but they have such great heart i'd never right them off. I havent actually seen Tallow play this year so I won't comment but their form the last few years has always erred between brilliant or horrific!

As for the comparing scorelines to predict the result i'd take that with a pinch of salt. Remember people were doing the same with Galway against us

My point is i'm ever the optimist rather than i'm disagreeing with you :pac:

The loss of Pa Kearney to Ballyduff is a massive blow, it would be to any team. Mike Molumphy also has not played this year if memory serves me right, but did notice he was named in the subs on Saturday. I would have taught they might have give him a run in around Full Forward on Saturday in the last few minutes if he did tog out.

Tallow at the start of the year were very poor, but on Saturday they were better than they were all the year. Normally you would think that they wont go any further than this but in a two horse local derby game anything is likely to happen. They wont win the county final should they beat Ballyduff and neither will Ballyduff if they beat Tallow unless something majorly unforseen happens.

Why, I am sure most people would have loved to see a Ballygunner and De La Salle final. They are the best two teams in the county right now.

Like i said earlier, with the pick both those clubs have and the promising youngsters each have they will be playing against each other in plenty finals for the next ten years

Cast yourself back to when the final was Mount Sion v Ballygunner every year and the neutral was plenty sick of that.

The more different clubs in the final every year the better in my opinion. Certainly healthier for hurling in the county

The loss of Pa Kearney to Ballyduff is a massive blow, it would be to any team. Mike Molumphy also has not played this year if memory serves me right, but did notice he was named in the subs on Saturday. I would have taught they might have give him a run in around Full Forward on Saturday in the last few minutes if he did tog out.

Tallow at the start of the year were very poor, but on Saturday they were better than they were all the year. Normally you would think that they wont go any further than this but in a two horse local derby game anything is likely to happen. They wont win the county final should they beat Ballyduff and neither will Ballyduff if they beat Tallow unless something majorly unforseen happens.

Definately Pa was one of the best forwards in club hurling in Waterford and his goal threat is sorely missed. Mike Molumphy retired this year and he was a very handy centre forward with a great work rate so both are massive losses

Tallow v Ballyduff could be a great game if its anything like the ding dong battle between them in 2009 in Cappaquinn in a quarter final i think it was. Great local rivalry

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i can see it being a Ballygunner vs Tallow final this year.

hard to believe that both Tallow and Ballyduff upper are in the semi finals with both clubs only having a combined total of 4 intercounty Senoir Hurlers on the panel this year (Stephen Molumphy/Adrain Power- Ballyduff) and (Tomas Ryan/Aidan Kearney-Tallow). Anyway id say they will be great buzz up in the west of the county over the next while. Tallow by 4

De la salle and Ballygunner will be a classic game i think, both clubs have good squads, both teams are on form and there will be great buzz in the city. Ballygunner by 2pts.

Id say Tallow vs Ballyduff Upper will be on the Sat 1st Oct in Fraher Field
    while the De La Salle vs Ballygunner will be on Sun 2nd Oct in Walsh Park.

Final will most likely be on in Fraher Field on Sunday 16th October.

The Waterford Champions will face the Tipperary Champions in the Quarter Final of the Munster Senoir Club Championship on Sunday 30th October in a Tipperary Venue and the winners will face the Limerick Champions (Ahane or Na Pairsaigh) on the 13th November in a Tipp or Wat Venue in the Semi Finals

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

hard to believe that both Tallow and Ballyduff upper are in the semi finals with both clubs only having a combined total of 4 intercounty Senoir Hurlers on the panel this year (Stephen Molumphy/Adrain Power- Ballyduff) and (Tomas Ryan/Aidan Kearney-Tallow). Anyway id say they will be great buzz up in the west of the county over the next while. Tallow by 4

De la salle and Ballygunner will be a classic game i think, both clubs have good squads, both teams are on form and there will be great buzz in the city. Ballygunner by 2pts.

The Waterford Champions will face the Tipperary Champions in the Quarter Final of the Munster Senoir Club Championship on Sunday 30th October in a Tipperary Venue and the winners will face the Limerick Champions (Ahane or Na Pairsaigh) on the 13th November in a Tipp or Wat Venue in the Semi Finals

How many have De La Salle? 2 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

I was sitting in the stand last night at Fraher field at the Ballygunner game and I noticed Michael Ryan and Nicky Cashin sat side by side and both left the ground together. It is obvious that Cashin is part of Ryans team. If so, I think it would be a good option.

Not necessarily. We had it last years and it was actually very one-sided! We had the Mount sion-Ballygunner dominance in finals for god knows how many years and conspiracy theorists were up in arms... Now here we are complaining that its a joke that the draw isnt rigged??? That is what you are saying if you read back on your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

cascade12 wrote: »
    I was sitting in the stand last night at Fraher field at the Ballygunner game and I noticed Michael Ryan and Nicky Cashin sat side by side and both left the ground together. It is obvious that Cashin is part of Ryans team. If so, I think it would be a good option.

Reported in the Examiner this morning of also a possible pairing of Jason Ryan and James McGarry who is coaching Ballyhale at the moment. Fanning is not letting his name go forward.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Do you know something that others dont. Isnt the hurling county finals played in Waterford this year. Would only be Fraher Field if two western teams were in it, whichn cant happen now.

Not necessarily. We had it last years and it was actually very one-sided! We had the Mount sion-Ballygunner dominance in finals for god knows how many years and conspiracy theorists were up in arms... Now here we are complaining that its a joke that the draw isnt rigged??? That is what you are saying if you read back on your post.

After beating DLS rather handy in the league section of the championship last year, is there a possibility that Ballygunner went into the County Final a little to cocky, and were caught out. It could also be said that DLS after the hammering they got, went out with nothing to loose in the county final and that they wanted to show that they were no where near as poor as the first result suggested, which as we know they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd be fairly surprised if Ballygunner went into the game underestimating DLS, but I wouldn't be surprised some of their supporters encouraged that rumour. Easier to give that as a reason rather than admit to DLS being a far superior team. DLS also won both their quarter and semi finals by around 20 points, so they knew what they were coming up against.

Ballygunner, and in particular their young Waterford players, have improved at a far quicker rate than anyone expected. I for one never saw the likes of Pauric Mahony, Brian & David O'Sullivan coming near intercounty standard for another couple of years, but now they are at that level or therabouts.

DLS haven't peaked this season yet. Last year they exploded into life at the quarter final stage. With the All Ireland run this year I expect they took a few weeks off and hoped to peak later in the club championship. Whether the game against Ballygunner has come too early or not we'll have to wait and see.

Agreed about last year. De La Salle were terrible the first day, just terrible. After that, they got their act together and handed out comfortable beatings to Fourmilewater and in particular Tallow and Passage. I backed them to win coming into the final, thought it'd be closer. I don't think there's much between them, hard game to call. De La Salle have the better backline, though maybe questions over their fullback in my view. Midfield is going to be interesting. David O'Sullivan was very impressive on Sunday, and by and large I thought Ballygunner dominated midfield, whereas when Fourmile played DLS I thought there midfielders showed more than Eddie Barrett or Dean Twomey.

Ballygunner do have good forwards, but not as good as they were made look in Group 2. It's hard to say who has the better forward line. De La Salle haven't produced a performance like last year yet. Whether they can reach those heights again remains to be seen. I'll go to both semis, and then make a decision on whether or not to bother with the final!

Any truth in the rumour that John Mullane is pushing for Liam Dunne as the nest manager. Heard it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any truth in the rumour that John Mullane is pushing for Liam Dunne as the nest manager. Heard it this evening.

What has Liam Dunne done in his managerial career. Thought he would be more intrested in the Wexford Job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Eoin Murphy has retired lads! Great corner-back! He'll be missed!

Déise’s Murphy bows out with Munster memories

By Michael Moynihan

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

WATERFORD’S Eoin Murphy has announced his retirement from intercounty hurling.

Murphy, who suffered a skull fracture in a club tie in April, will continue playing for his club, Knockanure Shamrocks.

"I’m 100% happy to hang up my boots at inter-county level," he said after 11 years’ service to the Déise.

"I’m looking forward to spending a few years with the club. It was in the back of my mind to give it one more year with Waterford and I didn’t go back until February, but I felt it could be a good year for us. Even after the injury I wanted to stay involved.

"I knew I probably wouldn’t be playing but I got back training with the county at least."

Murphy, who won four Munster SHC medals, says he will miss the camaraderie at inter-county level and picked the 2002 and 2004 Munster finals as career highlights.

"There were nights on the way down to Aglish and so on in the depths of January and February, you’d be thinking, ‘this isn’t going to be nice’, but when you had the hard stuff done that night and you walked out afterwards with the lads, whatever endorphins would be released, you’d feel great.

"In terms of high points, 2002 was huge. The first one, after waiting so long since the last title [1963], was sweet, but that particular game petered out a bit and we won comfortably in the end.

"On the other hand, in 2004 against Cork — a team we’d have a lot of memories of getting beatings from — it was different. To beat them by a point that day, that was dreamland."

Murphy identifies Richie Power of Kilkenny as one of his toughest opponents.

"He was one of the most skilful players I ever marked. It was as if he had Superglue on his hurley, the way he controlled the ball. Damien Hayes of Galway was another tough one to mark."

Murphy is optimistic about Waterford’s future.

"Obviously we haven’t reached the pinnacle for a player, winning the All-Ireland final, so there’s a bit of distance to go, but I’d be optimistic.

"I’d be confident Waterford will be close enough and contesting All-Ireland finals in the next couple of years."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deises-murphy-bows-out-with-munster-memories-168286.html#ixzz1YZG8pA23

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

DeiseX wrote: »
    Eoin Murphy has retired lads! Great corner-back! He'll be missed!

A great servant of Waterford hurling, and delighted to see Eoin bounce back after such an horrific injury. A real stalwart over the years, and one of the top corner backs in the game, he'll be missed alright. Owes Waterford nothing, and have no doubt he has left Waterford fans with many fond memories over the years :)

DeiseX wrote: »
    Eoin Murphy has retired lads!

:(

Is that the same Liam Dunne who wrote an article in the Sunday times not so long ago saying he dosen't think Waterford will ever have what it takes to win an All Ireland and that he didnt rate Brick Walsh as a centre back? Not the guy Id be pushing for....

Heard from a reliable source that co. secretary Timmy O'Keeffe was seen with ex cork manager Denis Walsh at a hotel in Youghal the other day. Significance of this I dont know just something worth noting

:(

Agreed I thought he'd have more to offer obviously he knows best himself, was lucky to come out of that injury in one piece. Hes been one of the outstanding corner backs of the last 10 years, very underated imo. While the likes of Dan, Mullane and Kelly were in front of the cameras soaking up the limelight he was going about his business quietly & efficiently.
    Id like to have seen him at wing back more that was his best position but I suppose with limited options in the full back line and plenty cover in the half backs over the years he never really got the chance to excel there. Best of luck to him though very genuine player

I am not trying to say anything but...........................

It has been mutually agreed by Declan Ryan, Tipperary Senior Hurling Manager, and Dr. Cian O'Neill that Cian will step down as physical trainer of the Tipperary senior hurling team. After four extremely successful years as trainer with Tipperary, Cian wishes to pursue new challenges.

Declan Ryan, his management team, and Tipperary County Board wish to thank Cian for his outstanding service to our senior squads over the past four years and wish him well in the future. Cian made a very significant contribution to the Tipperary senior hurlers over those years and played a very important part in the team's successes since 2008, including our 2010 All Ireland victory, three Munster senior hurling titles and one National League title

The Tipperary G.A.A. PRO Ger Ryan let this be known to the media today.

I am not trying to say anything but...........................

It has been mutually agreed by Declan Ryan, Tipperary Senior Hurling Manager, and Dr. Cian O'Neill that Cian will step down as physical trainer of the Tipperary senior hurling team. After four extremely successful years as trainer with Tipperary, Cian wishes to pursue new challenges.

Declan Ryan, his management team, and Tipperary County Board wish to thank Cian for his outstanding service to our senior squads over the past four years and wish him well in the future. Cian made a very significant contribution to the Tipperary senior hurlers over those years and played a very important part in the team's successes since 2008, including our 2010 All Ireland victory, three Munster senior hurling titles and one National League title

The Tipperary G.A.A. PRO Ger Ryan let this be known to the media today.

He's based in Limerick. Assuming that new challenges meant a different GAA team, that would be the more obvious one, given the money behind Limerick too.

There is no guarantee that 'new challenges' would mean this of course. Plenty of sports where his expertise would be useful. Be great if he joined Waterford as trainer, but it is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Jason Ryan & James McGarry. Anyone know McGarry's coaching background?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/ryan-in-driving-seat-to-take-over-waterford-hurlers-2886859.html

JASON RYAN is the leading contender to take over as manager of the Waterford hurlers -- with former Kilkenny goalkeeper James McGarry being lined up as coach, according to well-placed sources.
    Ryan has spent the last four years managing the Wexford football team, is a native of Waterford and a former inter-county footballer.
    Despite his experience and favourable reputation as a manager, Ryan does not have a strong hurling background and is something of a left-field candidate. However, he has excellent management credentials and with McGarry as part of the ticket, a selection committee currently seeking a suitable candidate is believed to be giving the pair serious consideration.
    When contacted yesterday, Ryan said he had not applied for the job and that he wasn't nominated by the clubs, while also stating that there were other candidates in contention who deserved respect and due recognition. However, as with any management appointment process, informal discussions can take place and it is believed that a six-man sub-committee has been in contact with Ryan.
    The vacancy has arisen in the wake of Davy Fitzgerald's departure after four years in charge. If appointed, Ryan would become the first native manager since Tony Mansfield in the 1990s. After Mansfield's exit there followed a string of outside appointments, beginning with Gerald McCarthy in the autumn of 1996.
    The Carlow manager Kevin Ryan, a former Mount Sion and Waterford hurler and selector, is also in contention to succeed Fitzgerald and sources say his "hat is in the ring".
    The former Waterford ladies coach Michael Ryan, who was with the De La Salle hurlers last season, is another interested in the job and under consideration. He allowed his name go forward last year before Fitzgerald's reappointment. No formal interviews have yet been carried out to fill the vacancy.
    Jason Ryan was appointed Wexford football manager at 32 in 2007, taking over from Paul Bealin. He played senior inter-county football with his native county and also had a spell playing for London. Under his guidance, Wexford played in two Leinster finals, suffering a 23-point drubbing from Dublin in 2008, but putting in a much more sturdy challenge in this year's decider. After the hefty Leinster final defeat three years ago, they recovered admirably to reach the All-Ireland semi- finals, losing to Tyrone.
    Ryan had put himself in line for the Wexford job by transforming the fortunes of the Clongeen football team who won a first-ever senior county title on his watch. Last year he was reappointed Wexford manager after his term expired.
    Fitzgerald led Waterford to a first All-Ireland final in 45 years in 2008. Last year they won the Munster championship but suffered a heavy beating in this year's provincial final, conceding seven goals against Tipperary. There was some measure of compensation in beating Galway in the All-Ireland quarter-final before Kilkenny proved too strong at the next hurdle.
    Former Waterford captain Fergal Hartley has already ruled himself out of contention. Hartley was in charge of the under 21 team defeated in controversial circumstances by Tipperary this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

No disrespect to Jason Ryan i know him well, he's a top guy but seriously like what does he know about managing a County hurling team. If he got a hurling club job i'd still raise my eyebrow an i mean that in the nicest possible way, Am i been left behind in these new methods of the GAA but how can a football manager be in contention for a hurling job.. Is it only me or does anyone think the same..

• Advertisement

No disrespect to Jason Ryan i know him well, he's a top guy but seriously like what does he know about managing a County hurling team. If he got a hurling club job i'd still raise my eyebrow an i mean that in the nicest possible way, Am i been left behind in these new methods of the GAA but how can a football manager be in contention for a hurling job.. Is it only me or does anyone think the same..

The other leading contender Michael Ryan has more football pedigree than hurling too. Sean Boylan was a hurling man but he lead Meath to All Irelands in football so its not unheard of for someone to be succesful in the other code

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement