Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So whose on the sub committee to pick a manager?

And will the people involved do a proper job in looking for someone instead of selecting the first name that comes into their heads and going with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

fitz gone yahoo

Ah come on, I know loads of us wanted him to go, me included, but I'm not jumping up and down in celebration. He brought us a Munster championship, an appearance in at least a semi-final each year of his reign, our first final appearance since 1963, and don't forget that since he came on board, we've only ever gone out to the eventual champions.

I agree we need someone else next year, but it's going to be a tough one to find someone who can bring us forward and not just sideways.

It's a little bit like voting out an unpopular government - OK, great, they're gone, but will the new crowd do any better?

I'm grateful to him for his four years, and hopeful we can now move things on. Good luck Davy and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm surprised but not surprised if you know what I mean! Had a feeling all along that he'd be kept on for another year, especially with Cunningham pushing for it.

Is it just coincidence that O'Grady is gone from Limerick?? I'd love if he got it but I just don't think the money is there and also whether he'd even take it.

Thanks for the good days though Davy, I know plenty of people weren't a fan of him or his style (myself included) but we did have some good days under him and it wasn't all bad. The younger lads he brought through can only do us good for the future so I'll gladly thank him for his efforts in that regard.

A new chapter to hopefully unfold for Deise hurling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Lads we have to go for O'Grady no question hes the man we need. Forget Michael Ryan or anyone else within the county its obvious there is no outstanding candidate up to the job. this is too good an opportunity to miss. Whether O'Grady would take it or not the least we can do is approach him

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jim Greene might get the job.

That will bring us back to the dark days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jim Greene might get the job.

That will bring us back to the dark days

Jesus dont be sayin stuff like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Lads we have to go for O'Grady no question hes the man we need. Forget Michael Ryan or anyone else within the county its obvious there is no outstanding candidate up to the job. this is too good an opportunity to miss. Whether O'Grady would take it or not the least we can do is approach him
    yep

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I'm happy davy is gone, i think he should have gone last year, his tactics were never right,always negative in attack and for a former all star goalie he never organised our defence properly, constantly changing it around, and then bringing a boxer from dublin into a waterford dressing room for motivation i'l never make head, arse nor tail of that one... But we all know most goalies are mad anyway... With our county board i wouldnt be surprised to see Marty Morrissey get the job.. Ideally we'd all to see love Donal O'Grady but we dont have the funds for him.. A man i'd be more than happy to see involved would be Martin Fogarty who's been wit brian Cody last few years think he's a Tallow man originally but he's tons of experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

chinguetti wrote: »
    So whose on the sub committee to pick a manager?

According to Tom Cunningham yesterday on WLR it is Himself as Chairman, John O'Leary as Vice Chairman, Timmy O'Keeffe as Secretary. Joe Cleary as Treasurer and two club delegates.

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    According to Tom Cunningham yesterday on WLR it is Himself as Chairman, John O'Leary as Vice Chairman, Timmy O'Keeffe as Secretary. Joe Cleary as Treasurer and two club delegates.

This wont end well I fear

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'm surprised but not surprised if you know what I mean! Had a feeling all along that he'd be kept on for another year, especially with Cunningham pushing for it.

Depends on who you listen to Davy was looking for two years more but Tom was only willing to give him one. I read in the examiner before the Galway game that a contract had been offered to Davy. I think it was John Fogarty that penned the piece. How true this was is not known. I'm sure it was a verbal offer from Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Rumour doing the rounds is that Fergal Hartley will be offered the Waterford job. Its about time somebody from within the county took charge.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Rumour doing the rounds is that Fergal Hartley will be offered the Waterford job. Its about time somebody from within the county took charge.

so what real experience does he have.???. He only management the under 21s for a year and they were beaten by a bad tipp side.

One thing i hope the new manager does is give captancy for 2012 to another player. I think Stephen Molumphy needs a season without pressure of captancy.

John Mullane 2012 Waterford Captain ??

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

so what real experience does he have.???. He only management the under 21s for a year and they were beaten by a bad tipp side

In fairness, what experience did many of the senior managers given the job for the first time by a myriad of counties have before they were given the reins? I would like to see Fergal get a crack at the job, if he wants it, although as noted with his inexperience, I would like to see a strong management team in place with him.

I hope we also see the minor and U-21 managers get some exposure to the senior set-up as well, and perhaps even Paul Flynn might get a crack at the U-21's (or minors if Chuck decides not to continue) also.

The time is ripe to marshall some of the talent within the county, and hope it starts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

In fairness, what experience did many of the senior managers given the job for the first time by a myriad of counties have before they were given the reins? I would like to see Fergal get a crack at the job, if he wants it, although as noted with his inexperience, I would like to see a strong management team in place with him.

I hope we also see the minor and U-21 managers get some exposure to the senior set-up as well, and perhaps even Paul Flynn might get a crack at the U-21's (or minors if Chuck decides not to continue) also.

The time is ripe to marshall some of the talent within the county, and hope it starts here.

True to a point but I'd like if Fergal had at least some club experience as well. Like I don't think he did badly with the 21s at all, they had such a young team, and hence I'd like to see him retain that and let that be the test of his managerial ability.

And in response to the negativity about Davy bringing in Bernard Dunne, I think that was a good move. I remember Eoin Kelly last year speaking of how Paul O'Connell had a lasting impact when he spoke to the Tipp team once, so getting a high profiled sportsman who has tasted success to give words of advice to the team is in my view a neccessity. Training methods involving sparring, now that is something I'd maybe be a bit more critical of.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

True to a point but I'd like if Fergal had at least some club experience as well. Like I don't think he did badly with the 21s at all, they had such a young team, and hence I'd like to see him retain that and let that be the test of his managerial ability.

And in response to the negativity about Davy bringing in Bernard Dunne, I think that was a good move. I remember Eoin Kelly last year speaking of how Paul O'Connell had a lasting impact when he spoke to the Tipp team once, so getting a high profiled sportsman who has tasted success to give words of advice to the team is in my view a neccessity. Training methods involving sparring, now that is something I'd maybe be a bit more critical of.
    ah jesus paul o connell and bernard dunne dose not cut it, if anyone 2 come in and have a chat with lads it should be a hurler, someone players would actually have time and RESPECT FOR NOT 1 OF DAVYS SQUEAKY LITTLE FRIENDS ,OR LADY sprinters and i have great time for kelly proper, these people just dont cut it , i think someone like pat mc grath ,john galvin,bugs byrne,sean cullinane to name but a few,or just a manager with a brain

ah jesus paul o connell and bernard dunne dose not cut it, if anyone 2 come in and have a chat with lads it should be a hurler, someone players would actually have time and RESPECT FOR NOT 1 OF DAVYS SQUEAKY LITTLE FRIENDS ,OR LADY sprinters and i have great time for kelly proper, these people just dont cut it , i think someone like pat mc grath ,john galvin,bugs byrne,sean cullinane to name but a few,or just a manager with a brain

Not sure I agree, inspiration like ideas are tricky to trace back to the source, and for some I imagine it is very inspiring to get to meet with winners in other sports. It's always very hard to tell what works, as I remember several AI winners from Waterford visiting the squad before big games in the last decade, and do not believe it was the difference. Still though, any avenue that brings on even one player has to be considered worthwhile, and as Brian Corcoran said in his much maligned book, you don't have complete control over many things in the game, but one thing you do over, is your attitude. Visits by winners and champions, especially resilient ones, can be very beneficial to the non-physical side of some players game, I imagine.

True enough. The head would say it is too soon for senior job for Hartley, but if the elements and the proper supporting team is there, you never know.. :)

The quote Kelly used was "Hard work beats talent, if talent doesn't work hard". Now that to me is a fairly basic concept. Of course, Kelly obviously bought into it, and why not, Paul O'Connell should be an inspiration to anybody performing in any sporting field and what he said is accurate. You can see that work is an ethos in Munster rugby, and you could also see the central role it played in Tipp hurling last year when they beat Kilkenny, as from the forwards to the backs everyone of them was hooking, blocking tackling and working to the last. So it probably rung through on some level.

So I don't believe Davy was wrong to bring in a motivational speaker. Some may argue the merits of Bernard Dunne, I can't say as I've never heard him make a motivational speech, but in fairness he was a good boxer, and very committed, so i wouldn't condemn the decision to make that sort of attempt to get into the heads of players. I would in fact be disappointed if a manager disregarded the importance of motivational speakers, as the psychological aspect of things is easily as important as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Well done to the junior camogie team on wining their first all ireland title .Never has third time lucky has more appropriate when you look at the great come back that Down made in the second half, with 15 minutes to go with an a 11 point lead and to win in the end by 1 point tell's its own story. Well done girl's.

• Advertisement

Congratulations to the Ladies on a super win today. What a pity that the game was not shown on TV and that there was games on in the county today. Had there been no name, a few more bodies might have made it to Dublin for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Deise West

True enough. The head would say it is too soon for senior job for Hartley, but if the elements and the proper supporting team is there, you never know.. :)

Young managers with proper supporting team's rarely, if ever, deliver success on the big stage. Only 5 or 6 different managers have won All Ireland Hurling Championships in the last 15 or so years, all over 50 years old!
    No matter how its dressed up the young boss is still the boss, no matter what support is there.

It would be good if Hartley could gain experience in managing senior players even at club level, to compliment his U21 experience, before taking the next step at county grade.

Deise West wrote: »
    Young managers with proper supporting team's rarely, if ever, deliver success on the big stage. Only 5 or 6 different managers have won All Ireland Hurling Championships in the last 15 or so years, all over 50 years old!
    No matter how its dressed up the young boss is still the boss, no matter what support is there.

It would be good if Hartley could gain experience in managing senior players even at club level, to compliment his U21 experience, before taking the next step at county grade.

Sheedys 41

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Deise West

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Sheedys 41

Fair point,I stand corrected! I thought he was older. I see he was manager at intermediate in 2000, 8 years before he took on the senior role, and also as minor manager in 2005/2006. Good apprenticeship!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Sheedys 41

And Cody is 57 which means he won a few of the 8 before he turned 50 ;)

Wonder would we go with a joint manageral set up. ??

Fergal Hartley/Michael Ryan Joint Managers

Dave Benett (Coach)

Just hope Jim Greene or Babs Keating dont get it.

Not a hope in hell of Liam Sheedy, Nicky English, Donal O Grady wanting the job

I don't think Michael Bond was over 50 either. I don't agree, if you're good enough you're old enough, but I'd prefer someone with experience.

Wonder would we go with a joint manageral set up. ??

Fergal Hartley/Michael Ryan Joint Managers

Dave Benett (Coach)

Just hope Jim Greene or Babs Keating dont get it.

Not a hope in hell of Liam Sheedy, Nicky English, Donal O Grady wanting the job

Babs Keating is an irrational concern, he would never get it nor will he be interested. I don't think anyone wants Jim Greene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I don't think Michael Bond was over 50 either. I don't agree, if you're good enough you're old enough, but I'd prefer someone with experience.

Neither were the Ger Loughnane,Nicky English or Jimmy Barry Murphy.
    I suppose apart from Nicky they're all over 50 now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Looking at the make up of the committee tasked with coming up with the recommedendation for the next manager , i wouldnt be too confident in all the people appointed. There should have been people with better hurling pedigree than the Chairman , Secretary & Treasurer. Would have liked to have seen some respected former players involved in process.

• Advertisement

Jeddah wrote: »
    Looking at the make up of the committee tasked with coming up with the recommedendation for the next manager , i wouldnt be too confident in all the people appointed. There should have been people with better hurling pedigree than the Chairman , Secretary & Treasurer. Would have liked to have seen some respected former players involved in process.

A ridiculous, farcical setup once again, and just about as impartial as last year. A 3/ 4 man committee (with no county board influence), reporting to the county board is what is really required, not this thinly veiled attempt at an impartial selection process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement