Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Et Cetera wrote: »
    Michael Ryan in charge would put us back to the stone age. This can't be a direction to take

Please explain

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Michael Ryan in charge would put us back to the stone age. This can't be a direction to take

Reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Please explain
    He's a dinosaur, if you thought Justin's training techniques were out of date...

His success with the ladies football was unprecedented all right, but at a time when there was very little work being done in other counties setups. Effectively he fielded as many Ballymacarbary players as possible for years, with that said they did obviously have an exceptionally strong team, but when it came to the latter years and the ballymac players were moving on, he had utterly no answer. The man had and still has no concept of developing players and bringing on talent. There was no blooding of players, it destroyed the ladies planel for years afterwards.

DLS kicked him out even though they won all around them, and he was lucky to survive the year with them.

Being a selector with already defined teams which are winning is not difficult, but the next manager Waterford will have will be the most important in a long time. Davy has to add a few new members to the team and the new guy will need to rebuild more.

Anyone who is voting for the man simply does not know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

He's a dinosaur, if you thought Justin's training techniques were out of date...

His success with the ladies football was unprecedented all right, but at a time when there was very little work being done in other counties setups. Effectively he fielded as many Ballymacarbary players as possible for years, with that said they did obviously have an exceptionally strong team, but when it came to the latter years and the ballymac players were moving on, he had utterly no answer. The man had and still has no concept of developing players and bringing on talent. There was no blooding of players, it destroyed the ladies planel for years afterwards.

DLS kicked him out even though they won all around them, and he was lucky to survive the year with them.

Being a selector with already defined teams which are winning is not difficult, but the next manager Waterford will have will be the most important in a long time. Davy has to add a few new members to the team and the new guy will need to rebuild more.

he must have dropped you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

comeraghs wrote: »
    What about Kevin Ryan? has he said yes or no?

Hes already committed himself to Carlow for another year. I think 2 year contract even. Hes a great hurling man very underated and I think he wouldnt be a bad option at all.

• Advertisement

You obviously dont know him at all. He wasnt kicked out of DLS at all he was always going to finish up with them after they went out of the club championship. Your comments are OTT and ill-informed.

Personally I must admit I'd have my reservations of him at this level and I'd fear the job could be a bit above him alright. If he is given the job you'd definetly need a top class hurling coach in with him. He's a great motivator and team manager but hes actually got no hurling background really at all before a few years back. Id fear that the players skills and first touch could suffer under him and at a time where so many young lads are coming through its a crucial stage of there career and development of their skills is paramount. Aswell as that he likes the 2 man full forward line. Too many people have had their say about that tactic on these boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Look its true about Ryan ,the same happened above in Mullinahone. Looks like he wouldnt be the preferred choice of the committe anyway. Darkhorse could be Nick Cashin if he could bring a good backroom team with him which others may not. Dont rule it out.

You clearly no very little about ladies football in Waterford (which isn't suprising most don't). Ballymac have won the county for I believe the last 33 years running, not sure is it that they've won it every year since the competition existed. Look at how many all-irelands he won with the Waterford ladies footballers. How can you possibly say he ruined them, and your point about other inter county setups just doesn't stand up. To do what he did with the Waterford ladies, and have such a small pool of players to draw from is phenomenal, yet you see it as something to hold against him. Your logic baffles me. He also coached the Dublin ladies to the all-ireland last year, when they hammered Tyrone ( though he missed the final because he was managing De La Salle, a sign of his commitment to Waterford hurling).

Also, he is younger than Justin. Have you seen one of his training sessions.

I'm not saying he's Brian Cody, but I think he deserves to be one of the leading candidates. I can't decide who I'd prefer between him and Allen, maybe John Allen would slightly shade it, but we could do with someone who knows Waterford inside out, and I think as a Manager Ryan's being sold short here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

DLS 2-18 Pasage 3-12, three point win for DLS. Scoreline suggets it was a tight game but tbh DLS were never in doubt. Think they were up by 9 or 10 at HT, Kelly got an early goal for Passage but DLS took over and two good goals from Jake Dillon (one from a quick short free played to him). Passage got a few late scores and 2 goals in the last ten mins (one the last puck of the game) made it look like a close contest but you kinda always knew DLS had that extra gear or two if they needed.
    Didn't get a result on the relegation play-off between Roanmore and Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cake Man wrote: »
    Didn't get a result on the relegation play-off between Roanmore and Stradbally.

Roanmore 0-10 Stradbally 0-6 according to Waterford GAA website. Very low scoring

• Advertisement

Tallow beat Lismore :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: And take that times a 1000.

Did not see that coming. Wow, well that is one of the big guns out. De La Salle remain but even if they were in control all along three points is not convincing, but they probably won't mind. Mount Sion surely will join them.

I'm not sure about tommorow's game, but it looks like Fourmilewater, however impressive they may have been this year, will need to have their best performance of the year to beat Ballygunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That is some upset it has to be said. Are the semis an open draw or are they fixed pairings already?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Mount sion also out, and Ardmore out of the Intermediate. Shaping up to be an Intermediate final of Cappoquin and Dunhill with De La Salle and Ballygunner for the senior. Fancy Ballygunner to win this year as Michael Ryan no longer manager. DLS dont seem to be playing as good this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Tallow beat Lismore :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: And take that times a 1000.

Did not see that coming. Wow, well that is one of the big guns out. De La Salle remain but even if they were in control all along three points is not convincing, but they probably won't mind. Mount Sion surely will join them.

I'm not sure about tommorow's game, but it looks like Fourmilewater, however impressive they may have been this year, will need to have their best performance of the year to beat Ballygunner.

A close game, but Tallow winning it out, delightedddd :P

For anyone interested, Ballyduff game was 22 points to 1-17 after extra time. Kind of a funny game Ballyduff looked just about about comfortable but it ended up being a free that brought them into extra time..
    Mehh, neither team were up to much tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

You clearly no very little about ladies football in Waterford (which isn't suprising most don't). Ballymac have won the county for I believe the last 33 years running, not sure is it that they've won it every year since the competition existed.

Is it correct that some years, there was no team to compete against them in the senior grade, therefore they got a walkover to and in the finals.

deise_girl wrote: »
    A close game, but Tallow winning it out, delightedddd :P

For anyone interested, Ballyduff game was 22 points to 1-17 after extra time. Kind of a funny game Ballyduff looked just about about comfortable but it ended up being a free that brought them into extra time..
    Mehh, neither team were up to much tbh

I am sure Ballyduff would love to have someone like Maurice Shanahan on the edge of the suare. Time and time today and in recent games the ball was going in around the house, most often from the likes of Adrian and there was no big man in there to Catch the ball and cause some trouble to the opposition's back line.

Ok....what is going on with this championship.

These results just don't make sense.

I'm backing Fourmile for tomorrow I've decided.

Ok....what is going on with this championship.

These results just don't make sense.

I backed them in an 4 game accumulator, but Lismore have bloody let me down.

Does anyone know, was the draw made for the quarter finals of the football this evening, and if it was who plays who.

Wouldnt be expected to back against ur own tbf ;)

• Advertisement

alllcounty wrote: »
    Shaping up to be an Intermediate final of Cappoquin and Dunhill.

???? You positive? Tourin beat them handy in group stages

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

DLS vs Ballygunner
    Tallow vs Ballyduff

So they sacrificed the final for the two semis..
    Heres hoping for Tallow to get into the final :L

DLS vs Ballygunner
    Tallow vs Ballyduff

We are going to have plenty DLS - Ballygunner finals for the next ten years so i'm delighted they are meeting in the semi. The winner of the other game could stage an ambush yet. Nobody gave Ballyduff a hope in 2007 against Ballygunner but they played the game of their lives to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I wouldn't be counting Tourin out of the inter hurling, There aren't a bad team at all & they surely proved that by beating Ardmore, I'd fancy them to beat Cappoquin in the West final.

I was at 3 of the senior semi-finals. Ballygunner were for me the most impressive team I saw this weekend. & the 2nd most impressive FMW.

Ballyduff were very lucky to get extra-time v Mount Sion. Tony Brown was blown for throwing in what was a very dubious decision to give Ballyduff the free to take it to extra-time. Ken Mcgrath was'nt in the game at all.

Tallow & Lismore was very tight, Finn McCarthy got a great goal from a pull in the air to win it. I was very impressed by John Prendegrast in mid-field for Lismore & Ray Barry also. The carry-on of Maurice Shanahan was very disappointing to say the least.

Wouldnt be expected to back against ur own tbf ;)

Who said I was Fourmilewater? Wasn't me anyway, in fact I've denied that, because I'm not.

Who said I was Fourmilewater? Wasn't me anyway, in fact I've denied that, because I'm not.

I would have presumed you were too

strange if ur not... youve a strong bias towards that neck of the woods for some reason

strange if ur not... youve a strong bias towards that neck of the woods for some reason

Ah here, was backing Liam Lawlor not vindicated (I'm assuming thats what you mean by 'strong bias towards that neck of the woods')? I've been to a few of there games this year, they were good. Ballygunner lost to Mount Sion who are no great shakes, thought they might take them for granted. Didn't happen. Mystery solved

deisedude wrote: »
    We are going to have plenty DLS - Ballygunner finals for the next ten years so i'm delighted they are meeting in the semi. The winner of the other game could stage an ambush yet. Nobody gave Ballyduff a hope in 2007 against Ballygunner but they played the game of their lives to win it

I know I was wrong three times this weekend (the call on Fourmile was largely influenced by the shock the day before) but I'd be shocked, honestly have it down as one of the greatest shocks I've seen in hurling if either of them won it out. Ballyduff destroyed Ballygunner (nine points I think it was) in the group stages that year. They had Mike Molumphy and Pa Kearney. They are no older and not as good. Tallow winning was more of a shock to me, but then I wouldn't see Lismore being beyond complacency. If they were to achieve a 18 point turn around against Ballygunner, it really would be something. And if De La Salle were to beat Ballygunner, they'd have to beat a team that beat the team that beat them by 17 points...I really don't need to go on.

• Advertisement

DLS vs Ballygunner
    Tallow vs Ballyduff

Was going to say that. I saw the draw taking place a little bit away from me, and would say if most neutrals could get their hands on the person that done the draw they would ring their neck. De La Salle and Ballygunner would make a very good final.

I saw three of the teams in the semi finals over the weekend and will safely say that unless they improve a lot over the next few weeks, none of them will be able to beat De La Salle (the team i did not see). But in saying that, De La Salle shipped two late goals in their game and if that was to happen again, they might not live to fight another day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement