Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

lads is richie foley injured still?
    Richie played a full game on Saturday night against Passage and looked to be moving really well, struck his frees good and scored 1 brilliant point from his own half from play

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

deisedub wrote: »
    [Quotcalvin_zola;78691754]lads is richie foley injured still?
    Richie played a full game on Saturday night against Passage and looked to be moving really well, struck his frees good and scored 1 brilliant point from his own half from play[/Quote]
    And that point was into the breeze....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

deisedub wrote: »
    Richie played a full game on Saturday night against Passage and looked to be moving really well, struck his frees good and scored 1 brilliant point from his own half from play
    And that point was into the breeze....[/QUOTE]

ah right cool, with the injurys we have he may start against Clare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Apparently Shanahan is very doubtful too according to hoganstand. Without Connors, Fives, Mahony, Shane and Brian O'Sullivan, Eoin Kelly, is David O'Sullivan heading off too? Our team for clare could look something like the below. Basically we are screwed as it is seriously makeshift. Our midfield and half forward lines will be very weak.

O'Keefe

Kearney
    Lawlor
    Philip Mahony

Browne
    Brick
    Moran

Molumphy (Even though he's just not good enough anymore)
    Twomey

Gavin O'Brien
    Foley
    Seamus Prendergast (Out of desperation)

Mullane
    Walsh
    O'Neill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

zol 2 wrote: »
    Actually he left Cois Bride at the age of 12 when he moved to lismore to live for family reasons so to fire a cheap shot at a kid of this age just shows the small minded bigots on this site. My god you must feel good about yourself putting up that tripe at an up and coming hurler who deserves support at this stage rather than cheap shots.:mad:

It was not meant as a cheap shot, it was a statement of fact, I was merely stating that the precedent was there.

In fact you were the first person to bring up a transfer, I was just responding to that

I changed clubs myself as an Adult, I, unlike you it seems, dont see anything wrong with a guy changing clubs if he is not getting on well.

Its none of my buisiness, nor anyone on this board why he changed vclubs, you are talking about a lad who is a minor and i suggest you edit that part out of a public board.

why dont you try calming down before attacking people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Why who would your third favourite have been for the matter of interest?

Fourmilewater
    tus.maith wrote: »
    yep, Shane O Sullivan going to the States for the summer.

So from last years panel, not available for Clare game are:

Clinton Hennessy
    Noel Connors
    Shane O Sullivan
    Darragh Fives
    Brian O Sullivan
    David O Sullivan
    Eoin Kelly
    Pauric Mahony.

Waterford panel seriously weakened and really couldn't see anything but a Clare victory on June 17th.

Darragh Fives? Why is he unavailable?

And David O'Sullivan was playing for Ballygunner, so is he leaving as well or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Was going to ask the same, what's wrong with Darragh?

That's a big blow with SOS being out for the summer, looks like Twomey will most likely take his place now I'd say.

Seniors play Wexford in a challenge on Sat at 2 in Walsh Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Darragh Fives injured at the moment, slight possibility he'll be back for Clare game.

He did play for Tourin two weeks ago, but injury was so bad he ended up playing in goals for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Are Waterford playing Dublin tonight?

If anyone has any updates on how challenge game v Dublin went tonight, it'd be appreciated.

Hurlers have another challenge on Saturday:

SH Challenge match V Wexford in Walsh Pk
    Sat 19th May @ 2pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Clinton Hennessy
    Noel Connors
    Shane O Sullivan
    Darragh Fives
    Brian O Sullivan
    David O Sullivan
    Eoin Kelly
    Pauric Mahony.

Waterford panel seriously weakened and really couldn't see anything but a Clare victory on June 17th.

David o Sullivan 100% available, he's playing the challenge against Wexford as we speak. Daragh fives has a hamstring injury but has plenty of time to make Clare. Also don't be surprised if Eoin Kelly plays some part in the Clare game lads, he said himself he's going back for follow up this week as the X-ray was inconclusive. Also why is Noel Connors being ruled out? Michael Ryan himself say he has a good chance to make the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Fourmilewater

:rolleyes: How did I know that

Clinton Hennessy
    Noel Connors
    Shane O Sullivan
    Darragh Fives
    Brian O Sullivan
    David O Sullivan
    Eoin Kelly
    Pauric Mahony.

Hennessy - Retired. Plenty of cover anyway
    Connors - Not ruled out
    S O'Sullivan - seems to be going but i bet he could be convinced to stay around yet
    BOS - Wouldnt be starting anyway
    DOS - dont know where that came from
    Kelly - Not ruled out
    Paudie Mahony - the only one definetly out

Hennessy - Retired. Plenty of cover anyway
    Connors - Not ruled out
    S O'Sullivan - seems to be going but i bet he could be convinced to stay around yet
    BOS - Wouldnt be starting anyway
    DOS - dont know where that came from
    Kelly - Not ruled out
    Paudie Mahony - the only one definetly out

Clinton retired - but we have no notion as to who will start in goals, you could draw straws for Adrian Power, Stephen O' Keeffe or Ian O Regan. Hardly ideal not having a settled keeper.
    Noel Connors - talking to him last week, chances are extremely slim, plus he hasn't hurled in over 6 months, could you really start a championship game and be up to that intensity?
    Shane O S has tickets and visa, last chance for j1, with bos going as well, he's unlikely to change.
    Kelly - swelling is so severe at the moment the doctors can't tell whether the 2 fractures are old ones or a new injury, but will need cast on for a few weeks and with limited training so far, again difficult to get up to intensity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

:rolleyes: I guessed that I was bein sarcastic

Cool story, care to post it another time?

Im sorry, but I cant be the only one getting really irked seeing these kinda posts all the time? Like... Move on..

Glick6 know who else is playing the challenge game right at this minute? :)

:rolleyes: I guessed that I was bein sarcastic

Are you trolling Deisebhoy?

I know full well you knew I'd say it. I don't think you're qualified to say they aren't seen as you haven't seen them in several years. Funny that you would say that De La Salle and Ballygunner must have been listening to people on this site bigging them up as if to suggest that people are writing off teams unfairly, and then you would continue to persist with a judgement of Fourmile formed a few years ago. Would have thought that was unfair myself.

In addition to that, you seem to address my posts as if I'm the only one that sees anything in them. Black Suir, Giveitfong and Helloyoungboy have all made testimonies to them being one of the top teams in the County. Redlead said he was impressed with them after the Roanmore game, and I remember after the quarter final defeat to Ballygunner another poster stated that Ballygunner were the most impressive side he saw that weekend, followed by Fourmile (note the margin between Fourmile and Ballygunner was the exact same as the margin between Ballygunner and De La Salle).

I'm still waiting, all this time for your list of the 250 players better than the O'Gorman twins in Waterford. Thomas O'Gorman marked Mullane for a good portion of the game on Saturday, Mullane was held scoreless. So are you saying that 250 players can hold Mullane scoreless (I don't believe there's that many in the Country, let alone in Waterford).

But sure, maybe you've changed your mind on that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'd rate Fourmile as third best in the county aswell and you could nearly say second best if Brian O'Sull, Shane O'S and Pauric Mahoney are out for Ballygunner for the summer

Are you trolling Deisebhoy?

I know full well you knew I'd say it. I don't think you're qualified to say they aren't seen as you haven't seen them in several years. Funny that you would say that De La Salle and Ballygunner must have been listening to people on this site bigging them up as if to suggest that people are writing off teams unfairly, and then you would continue to persist with a judgement of Fourmile formed a few years ago. Would have thought that was unfair myself.

In addition to that, you seem to address my posts as if I'm the only one that sees anything in them. Black Suir, Giveitfong and Helloyoungboy have all made testimonies to them being one of the top teams in the County. Redlead said he was impressed with them after the Roanmore game, and I remember after the quarter final defeat to Ballygunner another poster stated that Ballygunner were the most impressive side he saw that weekend, followed by Fourmile (note the margin between Fourmile and Ballygunner was the exact same as the margin between Ballygunner and De La Salle).

I'm still waiting, all this time for your list of the 250 players better than the O'Gorman twins in Waterford. Thomas O'Gorman marked Mullane for a good portion of the game on Saturday, Mullane was held scoreless. So are you saying that 250 players can hold Mullane scoreless (I don't believe there's that many in the Country, let alone in Waterford).

But sure, maybe you've changed your mind on that one ;)

Thought I deleted the first post thought it it was being narky so posted the 2nd one instead to get the banter goin again so sorry to hit you with a double whammy!!

That list of 250 is ready and raring to go gonna hit u with it now any day soon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

glick6 wrote: »
    Read it again skaface, where do I mention Eoin Kelly? My post was not in relation to yours. its the Maurice quote that I said was scaremongering. Probably a bit too strong a word anyway, just think sometimes we jump on rumours without waiting for fact.

fair enough, but you used my quote aswell in your response.. thats why i was :mad: Maurice looked ok today when i saw him carrying a big box of Veg into a shop in town !!

Indeeed I can give some info about tonights game.

Squad really cut down at the moment due to injuries, exams and Shanes decision to go abroad. Thankfully most of the injuries seem just to be knocks from a couple of hard rounds of club championship so hopefully some of the walking wounded will be back for the Wexford game on Saturday.

Firstly, Dublin had an almost full strength team out with only two players, from what would be considered their strongest team, missing. Those two being Paul Ryan and Danny Sutcliffe. Hiney, Tomas Brady and Conal Keaney all started and looked pretty sharp. Dublin were very up for it. Very physical game but Waterford gave every bit as good as they got. Weren't afraid to get stuck in. Eoin McGrath had a right scuffle with his marker towards the end too. The intensity and passion just seemed that bit better, which you'd expect now coming back to county after some good tough club games.

With regard to the squad being stretched, there were only 17 outfield players available with the three keepers also togged.

The starting team was;

1 - SOK
    2 - Philip Mahony
    3 - Ringo
    4 - Stephen Daniels
    5 - Tony
    6 - Brick
    7 - Wayne Hutchinson
    8 - Kevin Moran
    9 - Richie Foley
    10 - Paul O'Brien
    11 - Seamus
    12 - Martin O'Neill
    13 - Tommy Ryan
    14 - Shane Casey
    15 - Gav O'Brien

Three subs were Eoin McGrath, Stevie Molumphy and David O'Sullivan. The three boys saw most of the second half. Adrian Power played the second half.

The final score was 0-20 to 0-20. Drawn game and a tale of two halves really. Strong enough breeze which aided the teams playing with. Waterford bossed the first half with Dublin coming back strong for the first twenty minutes or so of the second with the lads picking it up score the last three I think and almost snatch the win too.

SOK was again good. Made one great save, other than that puckouts were good and was doing a lot of talking keeping the full back line on their toes. Adrian came on for second half, did ok other than one or two errant puckouts. Still very hard to choose between these two. It would look as if Iggy is very much the tird choice at the moment, we'll see if he gets game time V Wexford.

Full back line was very good. Dublin really only had the one goal chance which SOK saved. Both corner backs really stood out, a few neutral wexford men standing around me singled the two of them out for praise. Ringo also did pretty well on Liam Rushe.

A lot of Dublins scores came from their half forward line. Keaney got I think 4 from play off Tony in the first half and they won a lot frees in their half forwards. Wayne Hutchinson grew into the game as it went on, caught some good ball and showed his physical presence. I was pleasantly surprised at his fitness levels. Didn't look at all off the pace, just needs more game time really. Brick was Brick. David O'Sullivan came on for Tony at half time and did ok but still it looked, at times, a little too easy for the Dubs breaking through from midfield.

Kevin Moran did well again. Very consistent. Richie Foley was certainly the player I was most impressed with. He was all over the place, got a couple of very good scores and generally put in a really good shift. As with Wayne, Richie has really got himself back in shape very quickly after surgery.

Paul O'Brien ran hard all day and got a score or two. Seamus at times was very good, caught good ball, got two very good scores, made a general nuisance with his physical presence but drifted out of the game a couple of times and Tomas Brady at centre back for Dublin dictated quite a bit of the play in the first twenty of the second half. Martin O'Neill excelled from the placed ball. Must have had eleven or twelve points. Worked hard all game too, you know what you get with Martin, he'll give you a hundred per cent every time. Molumphy came on in the second half and won a lot of dirty ball out around midfield and hit a very good score.

Full forward line actually didnt see too much of the ball. Dublin full back line was very physical to the point of being cynical, it was the repetitive fouling that started Eoin Mcs scrap. Shane Casey got on the ball a few times but found it difficult to get his man turned and get space for a shot. Gavin looked tired to be honest and Eoin came on for him at half time. Tommy Ryan tried hard and did well creating a couple of scores without being standout. No real goal chances for us that I can remember now.

Lads who were on the sideline but not togged were Mullane, Dean Twomey, Liam Lawlor and Maurice. All seemed to moving relatively well. Maurice certainly wasnt casted or bandaged up so it looks as if his hand injury isnt too bad. If Mullane is injured it may partly explain how quiet he was against FMW (im not taking anything away from the fourmile performance by the way, and I too feel they are third ranked club team currently) No sign of Noel Connors, Shane Walsh, Eoin Kelly, Daragh Fives..... Paudie Mahony was there too and seemed in good form, tipping a few balls around at half time.

Considering the strength of the Dublin team out and the extent of the injury "crisis" at the moment it was a very good team performance. There could be six or seven lads to come into the waterford team if all were available. It gave fringe players a good oppertunity and some showed well. It shows there is a bit of strength in depth in the panel. I just hope that between Saturdays challenge and the next round of club championship there are no more injuries. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

skaface wrote: »
    fair enough, but you used my quote aswell in your response.. thats why i was :mad: Maurice looked ok today when i saw him carrying a big box of Veg into a shop in town !!

Has to be alright so!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

omg...

https://twitter.com/#!/thetomkelly99

"Instead of a Trocaire box,in our house now we've a box to raise money for the Waterford county board. They haven't a bob... #tomkelly #gaa"

"Mikey Ryan was telling me in Kilmac the other day that he was a huge admirer of Stephen Hawking. Great minor hurler in his day,he said."

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Any word on the football team for Sunday. Limerick seem to be very confident of turning us over as they are talking about facing Clare already. Surprised there isn't much talk about this game with only a few days to go. Good luck to Jackson with the junior team I would love if any of the teams got a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Any word on the football team for Sunday. Limerick seem to be very confident of turning us over as they are talking about facing Clare already. Surprised there isn't much talk about this game with only a few days to go. Good luck to Jackson with the junior team I would love if any of the teams got a win.

Despite beating Limerick in the league again this year, I wouldn't be too optimistic of a win.

We're missing Gary Hurney who every team is worried about, as well as Ferncombe and I'm not sure about the availability of the likes of Whyte either.

I noticed that Waterford didn't have any representation at the launch of the Munster Championship recently, the only county not to have someone there. Sends out all the wrong kind of signals.

With respect to Kiely I think that the junior championship is a waste of time at this point. Counties like Cork have used it wisely to bring on good club players and guys out of minor and U21 who didn't make senior straight away. We don't have the same need for it or the same approach as far as I can see. Same goes for intermediate hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Clinton Hennessy
    Noel Connors
    Shane O Sullivan
    Darragh Fives
    Brian O Sullivan
    David O Sullivan
    Eoin Kelly
    Pauric Mahony.

What is wrong with Darragh Fives?

hardybuck wrote: »
    With respect to Kiely I think that the junior championship is a waste of time at this point. Counties like Cork have used it wisely to bring on good club players and guys out of minor and U21 who didn't make senior straight away. We don't have the same need for it or the same approach as far as I can see. Same goes for intermediate hurling.

I would agree. Not that its not a worthwhile competition but we dont really use it to our advantage enough. Dont pick the right players. Its hard these days tbf with lack of resources with the county board and players just arent interested in this competition. Theres not enough out of it for probably a big commitment Id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

hardybuck wrote: »
    Despite beating Limerick in the league again this year, I wouldn't be too optimistic of a win.

We're missing Gary Hurney who every team is worried about, as well as Ferncombe and I'm not sure about the availability of the likes of Whyte either.

I noticed that Waterford didn't have any representation at the launch of the Munster Championship recently, the only county not to have someone there. Sends out all the wrong kind of signals.

I knew the news was bad concerning Gary Hurney what a shame when you think how poorly our minor and under 21 teams fared out this year, the bad news seems to be pilling up. I wonder is it time to concentrate on one code in this county. Football grabbed the limelight a few year ago but it seems to have slipped back and there's no sign of panic from the County Board with money being so tight I guess they have enough on their plate at the present time. Ah well here's hoping for Sunday you never know.

I knew the news was bad concerning Gary Hurney what a shame when you think how poorly our minor and under 21 teams fared out this year, the bad news seems to be pilling up. I wonder is it time to concentrate on one code in this county. Football grabbed the limelight a few year ago but it seems to have slipped back and there's no sign of panic from the County Board with money being so tight I guess they have enough on their plate at the present time. Ah well here's hoping for Sunday you never know.

I think it's long been the case that there is a sole focus on hurling.

Thought I deleted the first post thought it it was being narky so posted the 2nd one instead to get the banter goin again so sorry to hit you with a double whammy!!

That list of 250 is ready and raring to go gonna hit u with it now any day soon:D

I await with much excitement as I know you won't let me down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

In 2011 they played in Div 3 and were unlucky to drop a division and made the last 16 in the Championship. While the good underage talent that became available in the last 10 years wasn't utilised, I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement