Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Well Ballygunner won't win it by losing to Dungarvan!

Dungarvan 2-10 Ballygunner 0-09

I have no doubt BG and DLS will be there at the end, but your way off the mark if you think they're the only two who can win it.

Ballygunner have kind of made me look like a bit of a fool though :o

5 games, 5 underdog victories, somebody could have made a killing at the bookies!

Crazy weekend.

Be realistic now. The last two seasons have shown both sides to be far too good for the other challengers when it came to the knockout stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

hardybuck wrote: »
    Be realistic now. The last two seasons have shown both sides to be far too good for the other challengers when it came to the knockout stages.

FMW are just as good as DLS and Ballygunner

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

40 mins gone in Fraher Field

Lismore deservedly ahead, playing with the wind now, 2-9 to 9 points. Not the best of games.

Jimmy Meaney under pressure in MT Sion after todays defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Will be interesting to see who finishes last in de la salle group now, dunhill and roanmore play in 2 weeks while it looks like ballyduff upper look set to finish last in the other group! Whos your favourite for the drop?

Full time in Fraher Field

Lismore 2.13
    BAllyduff 0.13

John Prendergast impressive with1-3 from play, Maurice very impressive as well.

Deserved victory for Lismore on a weekend of shocks where DLS, MT Sion and Ballygunner were all beaten.

Next round of games in 2 weeks time

Group 1
    Ballygunner v Ballyduff
    Abbeyside v Dungarvan
    Lismore v Passage

Group 2
    Dunhill v Roanmore
    FMW v Mt Sion
    Tallow v DLS

Some cracking games in prospect.

And finally, Eoin Kelly is now a huge injury doubt for Waterford after fracturing his thumb last night

and MArk Ferncombe is out for Waterford's footballers next week with a hamstring strain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I am being perfectly realisitic. De La Salle have their head in the clouds with the way their thinking about themselves, that was crystal clear yesterday. Ballygunner are missing Brian O'Sullivan for the summer, and Paudie Mahony for god knows how long. The weren't narrowly beaten today, 7 points is a fair beating like, would love to hear more about the games, and would love to have seen Mount Sion because they really are puzzling me.

I heard they were going to be a different team to that of the last few years but they now are potentially battling to avoid finishing bottom and having to play a second relegation final in 5 years which would be a complete disaster for a club that's won 35 County titles (that's probably wrong but it's around that)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Good win by Lismore tonight the result never looked in and doubt especially as they led by 3 points at halftime having played against a very strong wind. Their 2 midfielders,John Prendergast and Ray Barry looked very impressive,and i think they'd work well together in that position for our county u21's aswell. Maurice Shanahan got some great scores but i think he's in trouble with a hand injury picked up in an off the ball incident. Ballyduff for their part struggled throughout and really look like they'll struggle to come out of the group on this performance but knowing these guys when they're written off they're at their most dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Top drawer wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see who finishes last in de la salle group now, dunhill and roanmore play in 2 weeks while it looks like ballyduff upper look set to finish last in the other group! Whos your favourite for the drop?

The losers of that Dunhill-Roanmore game will go down. Whoever finishes bottom of the other group should be too strong for either of them. Then again after this weekend you wouldnt know!

Some crackers to look forward to now in 2 weeks time, things are wide open. Gonna try get a few games in that weekend, Dungarvan v Abbeyside will be huge, especially after their results this weekend. big local derby they havent met since Dungarvan came up from intermediate 3 years ago so there will be a huge crowd at that Id imagine.
    I note some people are still giving out that the results of the weekend gone dont make a difference it will be the same old names there at the business end of the championship. Maybe so, but at least its made things interesting. The so called big guns' must have been listening to ye during the week because this weekends results stink of complacency and cockiness on their part! This championship is a lot more competitive than people give it credit for

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Just heard Lar Corbett is to resume training with Tipperary this week, there
    will be a lot of people smiling in Tipp tonight..;)

skaface wrote: »
    Just heard Lar Corbett is to resume training with Tipperary this week, there
    will be a lot of people smiling in Tipp tonight..;)

Dont think anyone in the country is too surprised. The fact that he never came out and spoke properly about his retirement and just went under the radar, everyone knew it was either a stunt or a sulk. Either way, Tipp are right back in the hunt again imo

Bit worried about our own injuries mounting up. Mahony definetly out. not looking good for connors either even if he does make it he has a lot of hurling missed. Shanahan and Kelly picking up injuries this weekend and another round of the championship to go in 2 weeks time. Id say Davy Fitz sees this as a huge chance to sneak Clare into a Munster final, and he could be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Dont think anyone in the country is too surprised. The fact that he never came out and spoke properly about his retirement and just went under the radar, everyone knew it was either a stunt or a sulk. Either way, Tipp are right back in the hunt again imo

Bit worried about our own injuries mounting up. Mahony definetly out. not looking good for connors either even if he does make it he has a lot of hurling missed. Shanahan and Kelly picking up injuries this weekend and another round of the championship to go in 2 weeks time. Id say Davy Fitz sees this as a huge chance to sneak Clare into a Munster final, and he could be right.

Yea that will suit fine

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

How come John Prendergast isn't on the county senior panel? He was the best left half back in the county championship the year before last, when he was just out of minor. Last year Lismore had him playing centre forward and this year he is at midfield. Is it another case of a player being overlooked for not being identified with a particular position because of his versatility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Some big shocks this weekend in the SHC with DLS, Ballygunner and Mount Sion all losing. Cant believe we lost to Dunhill, who are I'm told 100/1 to win the Championship while were third favorites. Was anyone else at the game? Martin O'Neill impressed me. As did Eoin McGrath at times. The atmosphere then at the Ballygunner and Dungarvan match was dead. I was surprised more people didn't turn up.

Some big shocks this weekend in the SHC with DLS, Ballygunner and Mount Sion all losing. Cant believe we lost to Dunhill, who are I'm told 100/1 to win the Championship while were third favorites. Was anyone else at the game? Martin O'Neill impressed me. As did Eoin McGrath at times. The atmosphere then at the Ballygunner and Dungarvan match was dead. I was surprised more people didn't turn up.

Being honest with you I think that's a bigger joke than ye losing.

I am being perfectly realisitic. De La Salle have their head in the clouds with the way their thinking about themselves, that was crystal clear yesterday. Ballygunner are missing Brian O'Sullivan for the summer, and Paudie Mahony for god knows how long. The weren't narrowly beaten today, 7 points is a fair beating like, would love to hear more about the games, and would love to have seen Mount Sion because they really are puzzling me.

I heard they were going to be a different team to that of the last few years but they now are potentially battling to avoid finishing bottom and having to play a second relegation final in 5 years which would be a complete disaster for a club that's won 35 County titles (that's probably wrong but it's around that)

Much of our debate we're having at the moment regards the fact that the championship at this stage of the year is more or less meaningless. The likes of DLS and BG know they can afford to lose a couple of games, so why would they peak in May?

While we know that FMW are always competitive, I don't think they have the goods to go on and win it. Either DLS or BG, or both, will peak later in the championship when they have to.

I look back at 2010, and I think DLS barely qualified from their Group. They absolutely smashed every other team in the knockout - cricket scores. Both BG and DLS both lost games in the Groups, but the semi between the two was the closest game in the knockout.

Much of our debate we're having at the moment regards the fact that the championship at this stage of the year is more or less meaningless. The likes of DLS and BG know they can afford to lose a couple of games, so why would they peak in May?

While we know that FMW are always competitive, I don't think they have the goods to go on and win it. Either DLS or BG, or both, will peak later in the championship when they have to.

I look back at 2010, and I think DLS barely qualified from their Group. They absolutely smashed every other team in the knockout - cricket scores. Both BG and DLS both lost games in the Groups, but the semi between the two was the closest game in the knockout.

There was only 4 points between FMW and Ballygunner last year as well.

I don't think that's true. They were hammered by Ballygunner alrite, but I think in the next game or the game after they beat Fourmilewater by 12 points.

Last year they were lucky not to lose to them.

I'd definetly have them in contention, and possibly Lismore but it's hard to say with them. They should be good, but they seem heavily reliant on Maurice and seems to be a case of stop him stop them.

Outside of that though I can't see anybody else winning it. Good to see Dungarvan performing well though.

Shane Fives and Gavin Crotty aren't even on the panel!!!

looking like we could be without Eoin Kelly for the Clare match next month.
    The injuries are starting to come at the wrong time for us now.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Shane fives and gavin crotty? This fellas been on the bang

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah, broken thumb I think he has. Maurice with a broken hand aswell apparently. Hopefully no more injuries in that challenge tomorrow evening v Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

zol 2 wrote: »
    Good win for Abbeyside last night when you think they were missing their starting full forward line.Amazing results yesterday when you think that Roanmore were written off and DLS were unbeatable apparently! Good for the championship as it makes the group stages a bit more interesting-at least for the time being!

Looking forward to the local derby tonight between Ballyduff Upper and Lismore it has the makings of a cracker. No love lost between these clubs and add to the equation the fact that if Ballyduff lose they face an uphill battle to qualify as they have Ballygunner up next,it could maybe swing the balance in their favour.

I heard things haven't been going smoothly in the Lismore camp over the goal keeper situation aswell as other players not been happy about not seeing action last week so if the result goes against them tonight expect even more fireworks!
    My sources up there told me that Seanie Barry was told to keep the head down this week and train with the club to win his place back in goal,so having been given permission by the Waterford minor manager to do so and not to train with the county,he arrives on tues night and was told to train with the juniors!! There has been no communication at all between player and management since,and now the player has picked up an injury on fri night which needed physio and still no communication from the management to the player,even to ask how the injury was. If this is the way that young players are going to be treated by their club then we won't have them for too long. He deserves better and when you hear that he left the field after training in floods of tears it beggars belief how far they're going to push this player before he walks. Id say he'd have no problem finding another club and i know my own club would take him in an instance.

Well he did join Lismore from tallow, so changing again mightnt be an issue

Actually he left Cois Bride at the age of 12 when he moved to lismore to live for family reasons so to fire a cheap shot at a kid of this age just shows the small minded bigots on this site. My god you must feel good about yourself putting up that tripe at an up and coming hurler who deserves support at this stage rather than cheap shots.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Cake Man wrote: »

Yeah, broken thumb I think he has. Maurice with a broken hand aswell apparently. Hopefully no more injuries in that challenge tomorrow evening v Dublin.

Jeez lads, let's wait for facts before we go crazy scaremongering. Maurice does not have a broken hand. I can say that definitively. Straight from the las himself.

Being honest with you I think that's a bigger joke than ye losing.

Why who would your third favourite have been for the matter of interest?

glick6 wrote: »
    Jeez lads, let's wait for facts before we go crazy scaremongering. Maurice does not have a broken hand. I can say that definitively. Straight from the las himself.

"Scaremongering"... I only commented on what i heard Eoin Kelly said himself
    on WLR today, get over yourself Boy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Best of luck with the new blog Deise abu, will keep an eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

"Scaremongering"... I only commented on what i heard Eoin Kelly said himself
    on WLR today, get over yourself Boy :rolleyes:

Read it again skaface, where do I mention Eoin Kelly? My post was not in relation to yours. its the Maurice quote that I said was scaremongering. Probably a bit too strong a word anyway, just think sometimes we jump on rumours without waiting for fact.

Looks like Shane O'Sullivan is going travelling for the summer as well.

yep, Shane O Sullivan going to the States for the summer.

So from last years panel, not available for Clare game are:

Clinton Hennessy
    Noel Connors
    Shane O Sullivan
    Darragh Fives
    Brian O Sullivan
    David O Sullivan
    Eoin Kelly
    Pauric Mahony.

Waterford panel seriously weakened and really couldn't see anything but a Clare victory on June 17th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

lads is richie foley injured still?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement