Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise Tom wrote: »
    If only the Intermediate and junior championships would go all county. The intermediate Premier championship that Clashmore tried to introduce two or three years back would have been very good to the county, progress wise.

I think intermediate premier would definitely be a good idea, but can't see an all county junior championship being a runner. I think the juniors find themselves being stuck playing midweek and Friday nights quite often, and if you had to travel from one end of the county to another I think a lot of teams would struggle to field teams.

I would like to see an east and west league retained if intermediate went all county, purely to offer players more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

If only the Intermediate and junior championships would go all county. The intermediate Premier championship that Clashmore tried to introduce two or three years back would have been very good to the county, progress wise.
    I agree i'd love to see an all county championship aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Oh dear, is this what it has really come to, with strong rumours that Davy may be back in for another term. If so, I sincerely wonder if anyone connected to the re-appointment process, be they county board members or clubs, have any interest in what is good for Waterford hurling, in place of their own personal/ political aims.

Once again, the whole process around the appointment of the senior manager is a joke, and wonder have our county board learned anything from the type of committee selection system employed by Limerick et al, which has proven so successful. Tom Cunningham would seem to be from another century, and instead of standing back and seeking to do the best for Waterford, would seem instead to be focussed on the vestiges and appearances of power, as well as probably not being seen to be losing face.

We underachieved this last decade, with much of the blame falling to limited management who were kept on too long, because nobody could grasp the nettle. Are we content to do so again this decade? From all the soundings and rumourmill within the county, it would appear we are, unfortunately.

Is it too much to ask for a forward thinking set-up in Waterford, when it comes to senior affairs, or are we content to lag behind and follow the status quo? If so, it is no wonder we are unable to close the distance between us and the likes of Tipp & KK, and more than likely with Dublin too, if we continue down the road of mediocrity.

I know this sounds quite cynical, and guess the cynic in me has taken the soapbox tonight, but we would appear to be mirroring the fortunes of the English national soccer team in the rapid recycling of talented local managers followed by the retention of limited managers.

The decision to part ways with Davy should in no part be influenced by speculation as to who his replacement should or could be, but rather instead be limited to one question - is he good enough? I defy anyone but perhaps Messr. Cunningham and the naysayers outside the county, to answer yes to that.

The Waterford hurling job is one of the biggest hurling jobs in the country, with no lesser raw materials than managers have fashioned All Ireland winning teams from in the past, and the simple reality is that if the position becomes vacant there will be a dearth of able canditates that would love a chance of taking the reins.

The ambiguousness around this whole process really needs to end here. A fair playing field for all potential canditates is the very least of what is needed for Waterford hurling. Or perhaps we'll be looking back on this decade as well, as the one that got away.

Rant over, I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think intermediate premier would definitely be a good idea, but can't see an all county junior championship being a runner. I think the juniors find themselves being stuck playing midweek and Friday nights quite often, and if you had to travel from one end of the county to another I think a lot of teams would struggle to field teams.

I would like to see an east and west league retained if intermediate went all county, purely to offer players more games.

Most if not all the junior games in the west of the county are played between Friday and Sunday, and dont see an all county competiton creating a problem. There is little reason why the games cant be played on these days in all county games. I dont know why the East Board play a lot of their junior games in mid week, Tuesday to Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theres gonna be a significant drop in match attendance next year if hes kept on. Ive lost count of how many people Ive heard say they wont pay to go to matches if hes back in charge.
    From what Ive heard Davy wants 2 years and Cunningham is willing to give him them. They should both fcuk off at this stage.

• Advertisement

Davy, if you want to be re-appointed as the Waterford manager for another year or longer, will you come out and bloody say it instead of getting people to come out and praise you to the hilts. Earlier this week Stephen Molumphy as captain with the past two years said he should remain on and this morning on WLR we had some Brother that worked with Davy signing his praises without actually using certain words.

Hopefully when a decision is made it is not just those that worked with Davy since he came down from Clare that will be listened to. Every one has to get a say. (be listened to more over, those pro and anti Davy been reappointed).

The county board will have to listen to what the supporters are saying as well. By supporters, I don’t mean the people that turn up for the big games who I would regard as followers more than supporters. The supporters are the ones that will go out and buy and sell Deise Draw tickets, those that will attempt to do the same for the new car draw etc, the people that turns up week in week out for club games in all grades.
    It is no secret now that the county board are under a severe financial strain but the exact degree cannot be left known in the different media outlets. Its said by some that much of this strain is down to the money put into the senior hurlers mostly since Davy came aboard. I cant but feel that if the degree of the financial strain was to be made known that many of those might stop supporting such things such as the Deise Draw and there is people who are rather than giving the money to the county board through their clubs (who get a portion of the money back) they are giving all the money to the club and more might start doing this if Davy is reappointed.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Theres gonna be a significant drop in match attendance next year if hes kept on. Ive lost count of how many people Ive heard say they wont pay to go to matches if hes back in charge.
    From what Ive heard Davy wants 2 years and Cunningham is willing to give him them. They should both fcuk off at this stage.

It was reported in the examiner a while back that Davy was offered a new contact with the Waterford hurlers. It was not said if it was an official or unofficial approach. I think the link was up on the older Waterford G.A.A. Section on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Davy, if you want to be re-appointed as the Waterford manager for another year or longer, will you come out and bloody say it instead of getting people to come out and praise you to the hilts. Earlier this week Stephen Molumphy as captain with the past two years said he should remain on and this morning on WLR we had some Brother that worked with Davy signing his praises without actually using certain words.

Hopefully when a decision is made it is not just those that worked with Davy since he came down from Clare that will be listened to. Every one has to get a say. (be listened to more over, those pro and anti Davy been reappointed).

The county board will have to listen to what the supporters are saying as well. By supporters, I don’t mean the people that turn up for the big games who I would regard as followers more than supporters. The supporters are the ones that will go out and buy and sell Deise Draw tickets, those that will attempt to do the same for the new car draw etc, the people that turns up week in week out for club games in all grades.
    It is no secret now that the county board are under a severe financial strain but the exact degree cannot be left known in the different media outlets. Its said by some that much of this strain is down to the money put into the senior hurlers mostly since Davy came aboard. I cant but feel that if the degree of the financial strain was to be made known that many of those might stop supporting such things such as the Deise Draw and there is people who are rather than giving the money to the county board through their clubs (who get a portion of the money back) they are giving all the money to the club and more might start doing this if Davy is reappointed.

Who are you to think that because you buy a ticket for a raffle that you can decide who the inter-county manager is?

Stephen Molumphy > Deise Tom in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Most if not all the junior games in the west of the county are played between Friday and Sunday, and dont see an all county competiton creating a problem. There is little reason why the games cant be played on these days in all county games. I dont know why the East Board play a lot of their junior games in mid week, Tuesday to Thursday.

Two reasons I think. The first is that the board treats the junior with total contempt and throw the fixtures on whatever days nothing else is on. The second is lads who play junior don't have it as their first team or sport - e.g. he'll be playing soccer, another GAA code, rugby whatever. If that is on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon he'll play that instead.

I also am of the belief that if you ask lads who aren't as committed as seniors to travel the length of the county on a fine summers evening, some of the time it'll be easier for them not to bother and go on the beer/spend time with the family etc. Much easier task to get them to run up the road for the fixture.

Open to correction on both fronts, but thats what I reckon to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    Two reasons I think. The first is that the board treats the junior with total contempt and throw the fixtures on whatever days nothing else is on. The second is lads who play junior don't have it as their first team or sport - e.g. he'll be playing soccer, another GAA code, rugby whatever. If that is on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon he'll play that instead.

I also am of the belief that if you ask lads who aren't as committed as seniors to travel the length of the county on a fine summers evening, some of the time it'll be easier for them not to bother and go on the beer/spend time with the family etc. Much easier task to get them to run up the road for the fixture.

Open to correction on both fronts, but thats what I reckon to be the case.

All sounds reasonable to me. I do think that those competitions are held in disregard by the County Board, but then even the Senior fixture scheduling leaves a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Mega Chin wrote: »
    straight talking i love it im not a fan of davy never was if they only listen [county board ]or even read the papers [news and star ]where flynner said what most of us believe .AND THAT IS THAT DAVY HAS DRAGGED US BACK 30 YEARS .if its about money which i heard it is and no other manager would do the job on davys EXPENSES ,its pretty sad although i have a simple solution give me the job no personel expenses for me and ill come up with a cool 100000 euros in funds for the cause fact

straight talking i love it im not a fan of davy never was if they only listen [county board ]or even read the papers [news and star ]where flynner said what most of us believe .AND THAT IS THAT DAVY HAS DRAGGED US BACK 30 YEARS .if its about money which i heard it is and no other manager would do the job on davys EXPENSES ,its pretty sad although i have a simple solution give me the job no personel expenses for me and ill come up with a cool 100000 euros in funds for the cause fact

Think its a bit harsh to say Davy has dragged us back 30 years, as on balance we've kept our head above water, although that has often seen us struggle hard to beat teams below us in the pecking order, as well as shipping annihiliating hammerings from the top 2. With regard to some aspects such as our touch, I would be inclined to agree though.

There would also seem to be a lot of ambiguousness about the cost of having Davy at the helm. While I know nobody wants to come out and say on a public forum what the exact picture is, it would seem to be on the high side, although I do not doubt for a second that not everything is being expensed by Davy like everyone seems to think. Plus, regardless of peoples opinion to Davy, it is clear no stone is being left unturned, regardless of whether things are utilised in the most effective fashion by Davy & co.

One can't help escaping the feeling that things have turned mercenary though, if rumours are to be believed that Davy asked for another 2 years after the arrival of Jamesie and Eamonn O'Shea onto the field for the Clare job. Waterford should not be satisfied with second best, and definitely not with a man, for whom it would seem sees Waterford as a secondary/ backup option.

All the others are moving on with strong appointments, be it Limerick snagging O'Grady, Barry Murphy returning to Cork, and the likes of Eamonn O'Shea going to Clare. This is not to mention the continued presence of Cody on Noreside, Declan Ryan taking over the helm of the Tipp juggernaut, and Anthony Daly going from strength to strength in Dublin.

Waterford similarly need a serious management team in place, and not the incumbents who have displayed serious failings while having received more than a fair crack of the whip. No other county in the modern game would consider retaining such a management team beyond 3/ 4 years, at least if they have any belief in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Mt sion 2.10 ballygunner 0.7 at halftime

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cake Man wrote: »
    Mt sion 2.10 ballygunner 0.7 at halftime

Christ. Different scoreline then I was expecting :/

FT Mt Sion 2-15 Ballygunner 2-12. Good rallying comeback second half from BG and could have got something from the game but for some bad wides. Paudric Mahony with a few poor wides from scoreable frees which was surprising given his usual top accuracy from placed balls. But in fairness to him he got some good scores from play aswell as some longer range frees.
    Tony and Ken were very good for the winners. Plenty of timber from both sides throughout! Didn't see Shane O'Sullivan playing for BG, nor Stephen Power-I assume they were injured.

So how does that leave things stand now as regards the group winners etc?? Any results from Fraher?

Cake Man wrote: »
    FT Mt Sion 2-15 Ballygunner 2-12. Good rallying comeback second half from BG and could have got something from the game but for some bad wides. Paudric Mahony with a few poor wides from scoreable frees which was surprising given his usual top accuracy from placed balls. But in fairness to him he got some good scores from play aswell as some longer range frees.
    Tony and Ken were very good for the winners. Plenty of timber from both sides throughout! Didn't see Shane O'Sullivan playing for BG, nor Stephen Power-I assume they were injured.

So how does that leave things stand now as regards the group winners etc?? Any results from Fraher?

Means the quarter finals look like this;

De La Salle v Passage
    Lismore v Tallow
    Fourmilewater v Ballygunner
    Ballyduff Upper v Moun Sion

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Think its a bit harsh to say Davy has dragged us back 30 years, as on balance we've kept our head above water, although that has often seen us struggle hard to beat teams below us in the pecking order, as well as shipping annihiliating hammerings from the top 2. With regard to some aspects such as our touch, I would be inclined to agree though.

There would also seem to be a lot of ambiguousness about the cost of having Davy at the helm. While I know nobody wants to come out and say on a public forum what the exact picture is, it would seem to be on the high side, although I do not doubt for a second that not everything is being expensed by Davy like everyone seems to think. Plus, regardless of peoples opinion to Davy, it is clear no stone is being left unturned, regardless of whether things are utilised in the most effective fashion by Davy & co.

One can't help escaping the feeling that things have turned mercenary though, if rumours are to be believed that Davy asked for another 2 years after the arrival of Jamesie and Eamonn O'Shea onto the field for the Clare job. Waterford should not be satisfied with second best, and definitely not with a man, for whom it would seem sees Waterford as a secondary/ backup option.

All the others are moving on with strong appointments, be it Limerick snagging O'Grady, Barry Murphy returning to Cork, and the likes of Eamonn O'Shea going to Clare. This is not to mention the continued presence of Cody on Noreside, Declan Ryan taking over the helm of the Tipp juggernaut, and Anthony Daly going from strength to strength in Dublin.

Waterford similarly need a serious management team in place, and not the incumbents who have displayed serious failings while having received more than a fair crack of the whip. No other county in the modern game would consider retaining such a management team beyond 3/ 4 years, at least if they have any belief in the squad.
    well said i would love to write all that but it would take a good few months and my points would be missed,in that time davy would have said that it was a good league ,even though anyone that mattered would have finished above us ,and that getting 2 another munster final was a great achievement even though we were beat out de gate ,but you know it could not be helped because some fellas were talking about him ie [dan and flynners] we would beat antrim by a point,and wexford in the game of the century[it was an absolute battle, a war, christ im so proud .LOTS OF TEARS,before leaving croker with de biggest beating ever,its all your fault dan/flynners,pass de tissues i think im going 2 cry so i am.not a bad effort well worth de rumoured 250000 euros in expenses since he came in

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

what are you on mountain lad if ballygunner topped group a and fourmile top group b how could they possibly be playin each other..

the draw is

ballygunner v ballyduff
    mount sion v lismore
    fourmilwater v tallow
    de le salle v passage

Nope, Mountain is spot on. Mount Sion top group A due to beating BG last night (head to head) even though both finished top on equal points.

Some juicy fixtures there, I'd fancy DLS to take care of Passage and Lismore to beat Tallow but the other two games could go either way. I'd just about give the nod to Sion to beat Upper as they'll surely have gotten a great confidence boost after beating BG yesterday.
    I think BG and Fourmile is the pick of the draw and should be a good game.

Those fixtures the weekend after next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 horselips

PTH2009 wrote: »
    But do we really want an inexperinced man come in eg Fergal Hartley. Fergal should be given more time with the under 21s than be giving the senoir job. I would not like Jim Greene to get the job because he would be too old school imo. Kevin Ryan is staying in Carlow, An outside boss would b

My managment team for 2012 would be
    Michael Ryan (Manager)
    Jimmy Meaney (Selector (Eastern Divison)
    Dave Bennett (Selector (Western Division)
    Maybe a third selector but cant think of anyone
    Micko Casey (Coach/Team Tranier)

If Jason Ryan stays on in Wexford which is looking likely would Micko Casey stay with him? Does he still have the Sports Injury Clinic? Was with him a couple of years ago found him very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Went to the double header in Dungarvan Saturday, arrived about 10 mins late for Stradbally Lismore and missed 3 goals in that time. Stradbally built up an impressive 10 point lead going into half time and you wondered how they had got to this stage of the campaign pointless though it did feel as if Lismore were disinterested. Shane Aherne was particularly impressive in the first half.

After the break Stradbally showed why they are battling relegation with an ultra defensive display which meant when the backs cleared the danger there was no forwards up the field to win it! Maurice Shanahan led the revival with a great display. Stradbally giving away a ten point lead to draw must be worrying with relegation playoffs looming

The second game was a pedestrian affair. De La Salle were comfortable throughout and you always felt that any time Ballyduff mounted a comeback that De La Salle could raise it a gear. Ballyduff looked blunt in attack. A village with such a small pick will always feel the effect of injuries and it certainly looked the case with 4 players unavailable. On this display Mount Sion should beat Ballyduff

ThinK Sion should beat Ballyduff Upper alright, but not hammer them. Maybe 5 or 6 points to spare. Heard Ballygunner were missing half their team on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Keep your ears out tomorrow lads. We should finally be getting the confirmation frankly many of you will be happy to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Of the 8 teams left how would you rank them?

I'd say
    1. De La Salle- Hot Favourites
    2. Ballygunner - Only team i think can beat De La Salle on their day. Maybe a year too soon for them
    3. Fourmilewater - Dark horses, playing great stuff. Still think they are a bit short of winning it
    4. Lismore - Have went close last few years, think they missed their chance 2 years ago. Stop Maurice Shanahan and you stop Lismore
    5. Mount Sion - Seem to be turning the corner after a few horrid years by their standards. Some promising hurlers coming through
    6. Ballyduff Upper -The little village are always hard to beat, lacking firepower to mount a serious challenge and a bit light in reserve to cope with injuries
    7. Passage- Seriously relying on Kelly to shoot the lights out for them to get any further
    8. Tallow - Have shipped some big hammerings to the stonger teams in the past few years. Erratic form to say the least

Daysha wrote: »
    Keep your ears out tomorrow lads. We should finally be getting the confirmation frankly many of you will be happy to hear.

Heard the rumours alright, and hopefully they're true so we can make the next step forward in that ever elusive quest for Liam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Daysha wrote: »

Is it 100% true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    Is it 100% true.

He's already gone :)

deise_girl wrote: »
    He's already gone :)

Yes, RTE has just run the story..

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0906/fitzgeraldd.html

And O'Grady gone too :eek: