Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Jesus that's mental? He just packed it in? What a strange thing to do, after all the success! Ive never heard anything like that in all my life to be honest. How could be just pack it in like that?

Crazy if thats the case. I know he had issues with fitness and probably took some stick for it and maybe thought whats the point if all you get is abuse. but seemed to have everything including temperment he was ice cool on the ball and a lethal finisher

Hes one that got away thats for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

So he's not even playing with DLS anymore? I'm baffled as to why basically overnight he just walked away. Well yeah sure you get abuse everyone does as a player but definitely would never drive you to just walk away. The best players use abuse as fuel to drive them on. I still don't understand how he walked away, or how he was allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭deisedude

So he's not even playing with DLS anymore? I'm baffled as to why basically overnight he just walked away. Well yeah sure you get abuse everyone does as a player but definitely would never drive you to just walk away. The best players use abuse as fuel to drive them on. I still don't understand how he walked away, or how he was allowed to.

No point playing a game and not enjoying it, especially at a level where he would have to put in a lot of time and effort with no monetary benefit.

Look at Shane Supple, who left a well paid soccer career at Ipswich town because he didnt enjoy it. Now he is on the Dublin football panel.

deisedude wrote: »
    No point playing a game and not enjoying it, especially at a level where he would have to put in a lot of time and effort with no monetary benefit.

Look at Shane Supple, who left a well paid soccer career at Ipswich town because he didnt enjoy it. Now he is on the Dublin football panel.

agree. Moloney was seen by many as the great white hope of the deise and maybe he just wasnt comfortable with that burden of expectation. Either way desire is something you cant give to someone, there are many less taleneted lads who would give their right arm.
    I assume his club would have made huge efforts to change his mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Crazy if thats the case. I know he had issues with fitness and probably took some stick for it and maybe thought whats the point if all you get is abuse. but seemed to have everything including temperment he was ice cool on the ball and a lethal finisher

Hes one that got away thats for sure

Never saw him play but I've heard of him. The commitment is too much for some. It's not all about raw talent, in fact there more important things such as determination. This the danger we have in Waterford of building up players too young. He may have felt he didn't need to work as hard on his fitness, and it may have cost him in the end. Bottom line is promising players often never make it to the level they are expected too. It's nothing new.

By the way, I thought Sean Daly was the one that got away. Some much promise but things didn't work out and we saw very little of him on the Waterford Senior team (I didn't see him at all in fact).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Used to play with him underage for DLS, he was a really good hurler and won us many games single-handedly. Great striker of a ball and was well able to field a high ball too. Could take the hits aswell because of his physical strength, kind of like Buggy O' Meara from Tipp. Agree that he wasn't the fittest though. Think he just lost interest in playing and if the heart isn't in it then I suppose there's not much point going on. He probably would have been senior for the county by now but I suppose we'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Cake Man wrote: »
    Used to play with him underage for DLS, he was a really good hurler and won us many games single-handedly. Great striker of a ball and was well able to field a high ball too. Could take the hits aswell because of his physical strength, kind of like Buggy O' Meara from Tipp. Agree that he wasn't the fittest though. Think he just lost interest in playing and if the heart isn't in it then I suppose there's not much point going on. He probably would have been senior for the county by now but I suppose we'll never know.

I'm still baffled about what I'm hearing to be honest. I understand how somebody could quit, but not somebody that's been highly successful and so on. If it was somebody playing in division 4 then I'd understand. I mean how could somebody like him just lose the hunger and interest like the click of a finger? And all the coaching etc. He would of gotten and the time spent on him all for nothing. I can't see how he'd just throw in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm still baffled about what I'm hearing to be honest. I understand how somebody could quit, but not somebody that's been highly successful and so on. If it was somebody playing in division 4 then I'd understand. I mean how could somebody like him just lose the hunger and interest like the click of a finger? And all the coaching etc. He would of gotten and the time spent on him all for nothing. I can't see how he'd just throw in the towel.

This is a clear case of burnout. It's as much a mental issue as it is physical. Despite the fact that he didn't play a whole lot of adult hurling, he still achieved a huge amount at underage level so it wasn't all for nothing.

Secondly, DLS as an urban club with no parish don't have the same hold on players as a country area. He was probably the only member of his family to have any involvement with the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Craig was definetly a case of player burnout. He had a great hand on him and good wrists too. Struggled keeping the weight down though and as we all know that doesn't get any easier the older we get.
    His dad was chairman of De La Salle juvenile club so lots of family interest but when you no longer enjoy it, its hard to keep training for 5 or 6 teams like he was on at times.
    Nice fella and it would be interesting to see what he would be like if he ever returned to the game.

Craig was definetly a case of player burnout. He had a great hand on him and good wrists too. Struggled keeping the weight down though and as we all know that doesn't get any easier the older we get.
    His dad was chairman of De La Salle juvenile club so lots of family interest but when you no longer enjoy it, its hard to keep training for 5 or 6 teams like he was on at times.
    Nice fella and it would be interesting to see what he would be like if he ever returned to the game.

That's true, his father Henry was involved in the underage set-up for a good few years, very nice fella, don't think he's still involved though. His younger brother also played for a while with DLS but never had much interest.
    It would be interesting to see what he'd be like if he came back, not too late he's still only 22/23. Probably just wouldn't be interested though.

• Advertisement

By the way, I thought Sean Daly was the one that got away. Some much promise but things didn't work out and we saw very little of him on the Waterford Senior team (I didn't see him at all in fact).

'the growler' was there in 98'scored a goal in the AI quarter against Galway and played FF against KK in the semi. Walked off the panel the following year after a disagreement with Gerald Mac. I wouldnt see him as one who got away rather someone who got a fair chance and didnt take it.
    Very talented but too much of a loose canon.

'the growler' was there in 98'scored a goal in the AI quarter against Galway and played FF against KK in the semi. Walked off the panel the following year after a disagreement with Gerald Mac. I wouldnt see him as one who got away rather someone who got a fair chance and didnt take it.
    Very talented but too much of a loose canon.

Not sure that that is completely true or fair to the man.

In Damien Tiernan's book, himself and Barry (the keeper, can't remember his first name. Might have been Ray, I think he's the father of the current u21 hurler) gave an account of how they went to the Tramore races instead opf going training one day. They were too ashamed after it that they never rang Gerald, and ultimately there was a communication breakdown and if they had just rang it would have been ok, but that's not how it happened.

I know about his exploits in '98 but he left the panel after that and though he came back briefly it just wasn't the same. I believe he was one of the most talented from the u21 team and that big things were expected of him, but he like several others fell victim of the fact that it took 5 years before we had a decent manager in place to brin g on those u21s when Clare and Offaly turned there u21 failures/victories into Senior success in that time.

Ultimately, it was a case of what might have been and I don't thinkl it's fair to see that the fault lies solely with Daly. I also don't think you could say Moloney never got a chance. He was a promising plahyer, from the city. Played on the Waterford minor team. A player like that gets every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

In Damien Tiernan's book, himself and Barry (the keeper, can't remember his first name. Might have been Ray, I think he's the father of the current u21 hurler) gave an account of how they went to the Tramore races instead opf going training one day. They were too ashamed after it that they never rang Gerald, and ultimately there was a communication breakdown and if they had just rang it would have been ok, but that's not how it happened.

I know about his exploits in '98 but he left the panel after that and though he came back briefly it just wasn't the same. I believe he was one of the most talented from the u21 team and that big things were expected of him, but he like several others fell victim of the fact that it took 5 years before we had a decent manager in place to brin g on those u21s when Clare and Offaly turned there u21 failures/victories into Senior success in that time.

Ultimately, it was a case of what might have been and I don't thinkl it's fair to see that the fault lies solely with Daly. I also don't think you could say Moloney never got a chance. He was a promising plahyer, from the city. Played on the Waterford minor team. A player like that gets every chance.

Growler had plenty chances, great player but no one to blame but himself that he didnt make more of his intercounty career

that goalkeeper Ray Barry was from Passage. That current minor hurler is lismore different family entirely. Wouldnt take that Damien Tiernan book as pure gospel either. Growler had plenty chances but kept letting himself and teamates down in club games getting sent off for dirty strokes and off the ball stuff. Didnt have the mentality for intercounty imo
    I think Moloney was a victim of burnout and too much hype. Completely different thing. He was playing minor for Waterford aged only 14 and its ironic that he never made it past minor. it was way too much too soon and I think lessons should be learned from it

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Thanks to Declan for all the great days out that he contributed to, if Waterford had a decent full back during the period I'm sure he would have enjoyed his intercounty career a lot more as he was constantly being chopped and changed, in and out of the full back position to the point where he must have dreaded it. He always gave his all and did his best and you can't ask anymore than that.

Hi to all by the way,have been reading here a while but haven't posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Thanks to Declan for all the great days out that he contributed to, if Waterford had a decent full back during the period I'm sure he would have enjoyed his intercounty career a lot more as he was constantly being chopped and changed, in and out of the full back position to the point where he must have dreaded it. He always gave his all and did his best and you can't ask anymore than that.

Hi to all by the way,have been reading here a while but haven't posted

He was a good servant to Waterford hurling, I remember his performance in the League final vs Shefflin, whether Henry was only coming back from injury or had an off day, (that was the Kilkenny excuses :) ) Declan did some job on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Waterford Minor Football team vs Clare
    14th April 6:45 Ennis

1.Andrew Kirwan (Stradbally)
    2.Darragh Fitzgerald (Dungarvan)
    3.Brian Looby (Ballinacourty)
    4.Steven Hally (Geraldines)
    5.Tom Devine (Modeligo)
    6.Tadhg Burke (Clashmore)
    7.Jamie Barron (C) (An Rinn)
    8.Micheal Casey (Dunhill)
    9.Martin Houlihan (Brickey Rangers)
    10.Michael Curry (Rathgormack)
    11.Michael Kiely (St.Marys)
    12.Sean O'Donovan (Modeligo)
    13.Adam O'Donoghue (Gaultier)
    14.Paul O'Conner (Clashmore)
    15.Ryan Donnelly (Dungarvan)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fantasy GAA game for the Waterford Senior Football Championship that may be of interest to some of ye. €200 prize for the outright winner too!

http://waterfordfantasygaa.ie/wp/

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Check out website http://waterfordfantasygaa.ie/wp/ and enter a team in this FREE league before championship kicks off Friday week!

deisedude wrote: »
    Fantasy GAA game for the Waterford Senior Football Championship that may be of interest to some of ye. €200 prize for the outright winner too!

http://waterfordfantasygaa.ie/wp/

Read through that the other day, some laugh! Good idea I guess, think a hurling one would be more popular though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

What do we think about Waterford v London this Sun at 1pm?
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Waterford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=166355

Waterford Minor Football team vs Clare
    14th April 6:45 Ennis

1.Andrew Kirwan (Stradbally)
    2.Darragh Fitzgerald (Dungarvan)
    3.Brian Looby (Ballinacourty)
    4.Steven Hally (Geraldines)
    5.Tom Devine (Modeligo)
    6.Tadhg Burke (Clashmore)
    7.Jamie Barron (C) (An Rinn)
    8.Micheal Casey (Dunhill)
    9.Martin Houlihan (Brickey Rangers)
    10.Michael Curry (Rathgormack)
    11.Michael Kiely (St.Marys)
    12.Sean O'Donovan (Modeligo)
    13.Adam O'Donoghue (Gaultier)
    14.Paul O'Conner (Clashmore)
    15.Ryan Donnelly (Dungarvan)

The top 4 minor clubs in the county currently only have four players between them? What is the reason behind that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ha sorry, John Dee! :D

Was only keeping scores in my head but I got Waterford 0-21 Tipp 1-21 in the minor challenge game at St. Mollerans last night.

Tipp much the better team in the first half, winning all the 50:50's and cleaning out all over the field. Before Waterford knew they were in a game, they were 1-6 to 0-1 down. Half time score I think was something like 1-13 to 0-8 and not looking good from a Waterford perspective.
    Second half Waterford were much improved and began to eat into Tipps lead, which was up to 10pts at one stage. The last twenty minutes Waterford dominated, with Stephen Bennett coming on and scoring a few points. Waterford got it back to a point but Tipp got the last score to seal it.

Plenty of positives to be taken from it. The first half performance was fairly flat but the second half saw a big improvement with Waterford showing good character to fight their way back into it. 21 points isn't bad scoring either but we didn't get much of a sniff of a goal all game. The wet and greasy conditions made it difficult at times with some poor wides on both sides. Some loose marking typical of a challenge game.
    Couldn't say what the team was with no programme/teamsheet available but it was mainly the Colaiste na Deise lads-Eoin Kearns (made a great one-on-one save second half when a Tipp goal would have finished the contest) , Tadgh Burke (solid and tidy defender), Colin Dunford, Michael Harney, Kieran Power, Cathal Curran (did well, dryer and firmer ground will suit him come championship). Shane McNulty and Adam O'Sullivan from DLS also played and as mentioned, Stephen Bennett came on and did well.

This day three weeks, it'll be Clare in the first round of the minor championship in Ennis.

Hi Cakeman, I have only been talking to afew Tipp lads that were at the game and well, some of them can be very biased if you will, can you give me your impression of the Tipp centre back from what you saw??

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Tarzann wrote: »
    What do we think about Waterford v London this Sun at 1pm?
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Waterford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=166355
    its a game they should win, had two great away wins over wicklow and limerick and with a bit of luck they could have beaten fermanagh and carlow at home, last weeks game was a bit of an experimental game with the championship in mind so it depends perhaps on the team that is put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Read through that the other day, some laugh! Good idea I guess, think a hurling one would be more popular though!

The hurling fraternity would just descend into a chaos of moaning and eventually demand the game be removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

hardybuck wrote: »
    The top 4 minor clubs in the county currently only have four players between them? What is the reason behind that?

Well really the top 4 minor clubs this year are Dungarvan, St. Pats, Rathgormack and Ballinacourty. Which have 7 players starting (St.Pats include St.Marys and Modeligo)

solarith wrote: »
    The hurling fraternity would just descend into a chaos of moaning and eventually demand the game be removed

Haha you're probably right

Well really the top 4 minor clubs this year are Dungarvan, St. Pats, Rathgormack and Ballinacourty. Which have 7 players starting (St.Pats include St.Marys and Modeligo)

I looked at the tables and saw that Gaultier were ahead of Ballinacourty? Wasn't sure about the whole St.Pats situation either.

I also continue to wonder at what is going on with the lack of representation from the city clubs. I refuse to believe that there isn't lads good enough there, and if it really is true there should be some action plan to increase participation levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

hardybuck wrote: »
    I looked at the tables and saw that Gaultier were ahead of Ballinacourty? Wasn't sure about the whole St.Pats situation either.

I also continue to wonder at what is going on with the lack of representation from the city clubs. I refuse to believe that there isn't lads good enough there, and if it really is true there should be some action plan to increase participation levels.

There are always plenty of good lads in the city, the issue mainly is that either the clubs they represent want them to play hurling 1st and also other commitments such as soccer, rugby etc. There is not much mas on football in the city underage, De la salle, Roanmore always turn out decent footballers, but like I said, there is no support from the clubs to push players towards playing inter county, especially as they see it impinging on the hurling. Just my opinion by the way.

• Advertisement

Hi Cakeman, I have only been talking to afew Tipp lads that were at the game and well, some of them can be very biased if you will, can you give me your impression of the Tipp centre back from what you saw??

Ronan Maher, he was very good and I thought himself and the centre forward stood out for Tipp. Good under the high ball and won and played a lot of ball. Was there to tidy up at the back when needed. Younger brother of Paudric I believe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement