Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Things certainly are not getting better. Waterford 0.9 l London 0.9 and this game was in Dungarvan.:mad:

Incomprehendable performance, I'm sorry for the 10-15 people who paid to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Congratulations to Waterford's Kevin Ryan on guiding Carlow to the Division 2A title yesterday. Steady improvement in thier standard during his time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Orizio wrote: »
    Did Waterford have their full-team out? Cork were missing their three or so dual players apparently.

Depends on what you would consider full team, think they had a full panel to draw from, but looking at some of the subs who came on, would think there are certainly positions up for grabs

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Challenge game this Saturday against Wexford. Think Offaly are up the week after. I'd like to see good strong teams named against those sides. Looking at Dublin Galway drawing and having to play again as well as Clare beating Limerick to get another game, we need to really make the most of the challenges between now and June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

glick6 wrote: »
    Challenge game this Saturday against Wexford. Think Offaly are up the week after. I'd like to see good strong teams named against those sides. Looking at Dublin Galway drawing and having to play again as well as Clare beating Limerick to get another game, we need to really make the most of the challenges between now and June.

Any idea where and what time glick?
    Depends on what you would consider full team, think they had a full panel to draw from, but looking at some of the subs who came on, would think there are certainly positions up for grabs

Yeah that's probably true, I would say the majority of the 15 are known and that's what it should be 2 weeks before championship starts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

D'ya know where its on or anymore details on it? :)

On another note anyone know why the Mahoneys didnt play for the U21s in the last 2 challenge games?

deise_girl wrote: »
    On another note anyone know why the Mahoneys didnt play for the U21s in the last 2 challenge games?

Injured as far as I know. Not sure what the extent or when they'll be back but I'd imagine soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

All the players from football clubs will be missing this Saturday, Intermediate included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭seananigans

that goalkeeper Ray Barry was from Passage. That current minor hurler is lismore different family entirely. Wouldnt take that Damien Tiernan book as pure gospel either. Growler had plenty chances but kept letting himself and teamates down in club games getting sent off for dirty strokes and off the ball stuff. Didnt have the mentality for intercounty imo
    I think Moloney was a victim of burnout and too much hype. Completely different thing. He was playing minor for Waterford aged only 14 and its ironic that he never made it past minor. it was way too much too soon and I think lessons should be learned from it

Ray Barry was one for skipping training to go to the pub,what really irked managment was when he got others to come with him .(so my dad tells me,my Dad being his cousin).

I can't speak about the barry minor but Ray barry was one of 16 so might be the same family(Bobby Barry his brother runs a restaurant in Dungarvan off the square).

On a side note,his mother was an O'Sullivan who would have been a first cousin of Shane O'Sullivan's grandfather(small county I know),so Ray and Shane would be First cousin's once removed,as would Billy O'Sullivan,and twice removed to Paudie/Phillip Mahony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Ray Barry was one for skipping training to go to the pub,what really irked managment was when he got others to come with him .(so my dad tells me,my Dad being his cousin).

I can't speak about the barry minor but Ray barry was one of 16 so might be the same family(Bobby Barry his brother runs a restaurant in Dungarvan off the square).

On a side note,his mother was an O'Sullivan who would have been a first cousin of Shane O'Sullivan's grandfather(small county I know),so Ray and Shane would be First cousin's once removed,as would Billy O'Sullivan,and twice removed to Paudie/Phillip Mahony

Shur Id say pat sullivan could lay claim to breeding half the hurlers down that neck of the woods the auld divil;)!

• Advertisement

waterford minor footballers beaten 1-14 to 1-3 by Kerry tonight in Fraher. All over for another year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

waterford minor footballers beaten 1-14 to 1-3 by Kerry tonight in Fraher. All over for another year

Heard they played with great heart and determination, and with a lot of players eligible next year, I think the standard can be raised

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

that goalkeeper Ray Barry was from Passage. That current minor hurler is lismore different family entirely. Wouldnt take that Damien Tiernan book as pure gospel either. Growler had plenty chances but kept letting himself and teamates down in club games getting sent off for dirty strokes and off the ball stuff. Didnt have the mentality for intercounty imo
    I think Moloney was a victim of burnout and too much hype. Completely different thing. He was playing minor for Waterford aged only 14 and its ironic that he never made it past minor. it was way too much too soon and I think lessons should be learned from it

Jaysus that's like Julian Walton's " ON THIS DAY" on WLRfm Fair play to ya.

Heard they played with great heart and determination, and with a lot of players eligible next year, I think the standard can be raised

The bigger picture here is that since around 05/06 onwards we have not been competitive at minor and u21 level. Were at the stage now where we expect to be hammered no matter were playing kerry, clare or whoever. We laugh at Kilkennys underage football results but were in danger of heading down that road ourselves if something isnt done fast.
    I know a lot of people are happy to let it go as long as the hurlers are progressing. But Im a GAA man hurling and football and Im depressed about it. We showed in the late 90s early naughties we can produce good players with the right systems in place. Theres not enough being done at primary school level to promote football. The current senior crop are reasonably competitive and for that reason I think a blind eye is being turned to our underage problems but its not going to last too much longer. The results are getting worse by the year and the progress made by the seniors in recent time isnt going to count to anything in the end imo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Not 100% sure but think the time for that game is half six on Walsh on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,875 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hurling
    Beat Clare (Munster Semi Final) - Were through to a Munster Final and the All Ireland Quarter Finals

Beaten by Clare (Munster Semi Final) - We go into Phase 2 of the Quilfers (Playing 1 of the beaten Leinster semi finalists). Thats mean we could be playing someone like Dublin, Galway or Kilkenny :eek: in our second championship game. Win phase 2 we will play one of the 2 winners in Phase 1 to get to the Quarter finals.

Football
    Beat Limerick (Munster QF)- We will play Clare in the Munster Semi final for a place in a Munster Final (first in 52 years).

Beaten by Limerick- We will go into the draw for the 1st Round of the All Ireland Quilifers.

Beat Limerick but Lose to Clare- We will go into the draw for the 2nd Round of the All Ireland Quilifers.

Beaten in the Munster final- We will go into the draw for the 4th Round of the All Ireland Qulifers and we that we will go through to the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

Win the Munster Final :D:D- We will go straight through to the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

Very good opportunity for the Footballers to get to a munster final. The hurlers have a tough year ahead of them.

how do fellow Waterford people see the year going for us in both Senoir codes

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hurling
    Beat Clare (Munster Semi Final) - Were through to a Munster Final and the All Ireland Quarter Finals

Beaten by Clare (Munster Semi Final) - We go into Phase 2 of the Quilfers (Playing 1 of the beaten Leinster semi finalists). Thats mean we could be playing someone like Dublin, Galway or Kilkenny :eek: in our second championship game. Win phase 2 we will play one of the 2 winners in Phase 1 to get to the Quarter finals.

Football
    Beat Limerick (Munster QF)- We will play Clare in the Munster Semi final for a place in a Munster Final (first in 52 years).

Beaten by Limerick- We will go into the draw for the 1st Round of the All Ireland Quilifers.

Beat Limerick but Lose to Clare- We will go into the draw for the 2nd Round of the All Ireland Quilifers.

Beaten in the Munster final- We will go into the draw for the 4th Round of the All Ireland Qulifers and we that we will go through to the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

Win the Munster Final :D:D- We will go straight through to the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

Very good opportunity for the Footballers to get to a munster final. The hurlers have a tough year ahead of them.

how do fellow Waterford people see the year going for us in both Senoir codes

Re: the hurling, think if we pull out all the stops and beat Clare, we will be ok, getting through to a Munster Final and being guaranteed an AI QF spot at the least. Think we need plenty of games to both figure out our best team, and get the squad humming at championship intensity.

I don't feel a trip down the qualifiers as a way to get extra games would be a good one, as right now, I feel we're quite fragile as a team, as regards championship standard. Best way to get those extra games would be to make the most of the next 2 months with good use of challenge matches.

I don't fear Clare, as I feel the longer the season goes on the less of a threat their challenge may be, but facing them in June in their first championship match will be another matter, especially if they get a trimming from Kilkenny the weekend..

Not 100% sure but think the time for that game is half six on Walsh on Saturday.

Cheers glick, I can confirm that time, date and venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Hurling
    I think that we can beat Clare. I hear alot of people saying that "davy knows us" etc etc, but we also know Davy, and he also don't have a plan B... We are also better than Clare as it stands, and although Clare will be up for it, and will give us wood, anybody thinking that we won't be up for a munster semi final is mad.

I couldn't see us beating Tipp or KK this year all the same, id like to think we would be competitive, but if we where meet Cork or Limerick in a Munster final I would be confident.

I think we will end up getting beaten in the AI semis agian by either Tipp or KK.

Football

I think we have slightly dipped this year, but we can still def be competitive and maybe beat Clare and/or Limerick.

A munster final appearance would be class, I wouldn't expect us to get annihalateed, but I doubt we would win it, be nice to put up a fight and not get hammererd.

After that, I couldn't see us going much further as we would get drawn against a Mayo or an Ulster team who would have too much for us at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

HURLING
    I think the game against Clare will define our season.
    We will have to stand up and be counted against a team that will throw everything, including the kitchen sink at us.. A victory here will guarantee us at least a QF at worst or a Munster title and a SF at best. However, a defeat against the Banner would send us into the Qualifiers and the unknown.
    I think we are a better team than Clare, but if we can,t match their intensity we could be in trouble. With a bit of luck we can get back to Croaker for the AI series and you never know... [.

FOOTBALL
    Our Footballers have had a stop-start season so far.Expectations are not very high in our county from year to year re: Football.
    However, we are well capable of putting it up to both Clare and Limerick on any given day, it would be great to win a first Rd. in the Munster c/ship.

Roll On The[ Summer, UP THE DEISE :):)/B]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

deisedude wrote: »
    Fcuk, I booked a holiday to San Fran with the lads completely forgetting about when the Clare game was on :(

And you felt the need to inform the GAA fraternity of Waterford of this terrible misfortune?!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Fcuk, I booked a holiday to San Fran with the lads completely forgetting about when the Clare game was on :(

Fcuk I wish I could afford a trip to San Fransico

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭deisedude

And you felt the need to inform the GAA fraternity of Waterford of this terrible misfortune?!

Fair enough. I deleted it, sorry if it offended you

no prisoners taken around here deisedude!

no prisoners taken around here deisedude!

Hopefully our hurlers and footballers are equally as ruthless in the summer! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fair enough. I deleted it, sorry if it offended you

Really wouldnt delete it for some 1 post wonder.

Its always a pain missing a championship game cause yer abroad. Hope you can find a pub showing it and have some very early Sunday morning hurling action on the west coast of the USA deisedude

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

looking forward to the club championship starting this weekend. Paddy Power makes Ardmore, Ballinacourty, Nire, Stradbally, Kilrossanty and Ring favourites for this weekend's matches. Any thoughts?

KevIRL wrote: »
    Really wouldnt delete it for some 1 post wonder.

Its always a pain missing a championship game cause yer abroad. Hope you can find a pub showing it and have some very early Sunday morning hurling action on the west coast of the USA deisedude

What does it matter if I had one post or 1000? The point is the same. I didn't ask for it to be deleted and I wasn't offended by it. I just thought it very unusual for someone to announce publicly that they would miss a hurling match due to a pre-planned holiday, even going so far as to mention the actual location like it mattered on some level. That's all!

Oh just one more thing. I'd just like to say that I brought my dog for a walk in Tramore last night. T'was lovely out.

EDIT::)

What does it matter if I had one post or 1000? The point is the same. I didn't ask for it to be deleted and I wasn't offended by it. I just thought it very unusual for someone to announce publicly that they would miss a hurling match due to a pre-planned holiday, even going so far as to mention the actual location like it mattered on some level. That's all!

Oh just one more thing. I'd just like to say that I brought my dog for a walk in Tramore last night. T'was lovely out.

EDIT::)

Granted, prob was weird.

And fair play to you for taking the dog for a walk last night. Twas lashing where I was :pac:

• Advertisement

Granted, prob was weird.

And fair play to you for taking the dog for a walk last night. Twas lashing where I was :pac:

I'd thank your post if I could, but I don't seem to have the option!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement