Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

hardybuck wrote: »
    The top 4 minor clubs in the county currently only have four players between them? What is the reason behind that?

the reason is that the team was picked on each players ability as opposed to which cub theyre from :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ronan Maher, he was very good and I thought himself and the centre forward stood out for Tipp. Good under the high ball and won and played a lot of ball. Was there to tidy up at the back when needed. Younger brother of Paudric I believe?

Yeah he is the younger brother of himself alright, anytime I have seen him I have been very very impressed, he doesnt quite have Padraic's physical stature (yet) but he is a fine hurler and only 16 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Have to say lads I'm really looking forward to the Clare game. How many weeks now? How are people feelin, are ye confident? I think Waterford will pull it out of the bag, Davy may know the players like the back of his hand but Waterford just have that extra bit of experience of playing in big games. Will be a really tough and physical game I'd say, don't you know Davy is training them like madmen and having them eat raw meat! He'll have his players well wound up. Roll on June.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Have to say lads I'm really looking forward to the Clare game. How many weeks now? How are people feelin, are ye confident? I think Waterford will pull it out of the bag, Davy may know the players like the back of his hand but Waterford just have that extra bit of experience of playing in big games. Will be a really tough and physical game I'd say, don't you know Davy is training them like madmen and having them eat raw meat! He'll have his players well wound up. Roll on June.

We we all know Davy and his tactics very well down here. I wonder will he try the same tactics he used against Limerick which would really shock us as he said before leaving us that he really really really loves us. I'm glad Ken McGrath is on the sideline for this one. Should be a very interesting encounter with the result to hard to forecast yet. Clare had a very impressive win over Limerick last week but Kilkenny will be a different kettle of fish and we all know cats love eating fish. John Allen's words coming up to the 1B encounter are still ringing in my ears This game is a poison chalice for whoever wins. That's going to be an interesting game also for all us nuetrals

We know what to expect from Davy and Clare, people are saying they will be a surprise package but I dont expect too many surprises. Theyll be well riled up and finish the game very strongly like waterford did under Davy.

From our own point of view Im not quite sure where we stand at the moment. Theres a long break between now and then and who knows what can happen in that period. Its brilliant that we escaped relegation but I hope its not just papering over any cracks. Lets not forget we were awful the first 3 games of the league and only escaped because Dublin fielded their reserve team against us in our do or die relegation game. The win over Galway was the highlight gave us all hope that we are there or thereabouts but are we judging ourselves on one good win or 3 bad defeats?
    To answer your question yes I am really looking forward to it because Im looking forward to seeing the real waterford. We certainly havent seen that yet under this management. Its the not knowing what this is that has made me more excited about a championship than I have been for a few seasons now, and what type of side we'll be and what gameplan we'll have is anyones guess. Im hoping that the change of backroom staff has ironed out any issues holding us back and the stage is now set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The U21's played Cork in a challenge in Midleton today, anyone know how they got on? Score, lineout, report anything?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

The U21's played Cork in a challenge in Midleton today, anyone know how they got on? Score, lineout, report anything?

I just had a look on the Cork website, no real details just that Cork were "Well beaten" which is promising.. But would be more promising if we knew scores/teams/etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoring forward

deise_girl wrote: »
    I just had a look on the Cork website, no real details just that Cork were "Well beaten" which is promising.. But would be more promising if we knew scores/teams/etc :pac:

Waterford won 2 18 to 1 12.Team D DUGGAN,Barron,O keefe,Wyse,Dee, NOT JIM,fives,p pender,dillon,j pender,power,murphy ohalloran,murray,o neill,o brien.

Minor football result Clare 2.20 Waterford 0.6. A comprehensive beating following the drumming our under 21's got in Tralee. Pity to see this happening where to go from here is the big question now.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Minor football result Clare 2.20 Waterford 0.6. A comprehensive beating following the drumming our under 21's got in Tralee. Pity to see this happening where to go from here is the big question now.

Very worrying. Its one thing to loose that much to a Cork or Kerry but in recent seasons we seem to be slipping behind the likes of Clare and Tipp aswell, counties we would traditionally have been on par with. I know Jackson Kiely, Conor Phelan & Co. had good work done with them and it will very dissapointing for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Very worrying. Its one thing to loose that much to a Cork or Kerry but in recent seasons we seem to be slipping behind the likes of Clare and Tipp aswell, counties we would traditionally have been on par with. I know Jackson Kiely, Conor Phelan & Co. had good work done with them and it will very dissapointing for them

I know Mickey Ned O'Sullivan is training the Kerry minors. They had gym programmes from about November, and they have 4/5 sessions/matches a week since January. That is the level required, but there isn't a hope in hell we are doing anything of the sort. Mainly the boards fault, you can understand with the financial problems that matching that would be difficult but they have to show some innovation and find a way of competing and producing footballers with out spending big. That, unfortuantely, would require a lot of thought, far more than people have the will to put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

this is some what of a disgrace this results tonight. the work may have been put in but thats not much good if it is not underpinned by a good foundation structure. for both the u21s and minor to go the same way, the county board need to be blamed for these two results and if they are unable to promote all codes of gaelic games they perhaps need to step down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Waterford won 2 18 to 1 12.Team D DUGGAN,Barron,O keefe,Wyse,Dee, NOT JIM,fives,p pender,dillon,j pender,power,murphy ohalloran,murray,o neill,o brien.

Any ideas on the Cork team? Conceivable that they were missing Lehane, Cahalane, Sweetnam and Coughlan given their Senior team is still in the league.

Good to hear we're winning all the same.

Any ideas on the Cork team? Conceivable that they were missing Lehane, Cahalane, Sweetnam and Coughlan given their Senior team is still in the league.

Yeah was thinking as much myself. To be fair, we'd have a few ourselves to go into that team, namely Paudric and Philip Mahony and Soky O'Keeffe. Looking at that team, Jake Dillon hardly started midfield? U21's not out until July I think so plenty of time to continue preparations but good result today, well done lads.

As for the minor footballers, the trend of taking hammerings continues. Doesn't look good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cork were missing about half of their team, although its hard to tell. Waterford were missing the two O'Mahonys, I thought Prendergast and Murphy were excellent for ye, your touch and conditioning was a lot better then ours.

this is some what of a disgrace this results tonight. the work may have been put in but thats not much good if it is not underpinned by a good foundation structure. for both the u21s and minor to go the same way, the county board need to be blamed for these two results and if they are unable to promote all codes of gaelic games they perhaps need to step down..

Its not going to get any better. We play Kerry next in the knockout qualifier, they were beaten by Tipp 2-09 to 0-08. Further underlines how far behind were falling why cant we aim to do what Tipp are doing

In relation to the County Board I think they are doing their best in the current difficult circumstances, its the administration of the previous county board which has left Waterford football in the doldrums. Im not going to mention names because we know who was running it but the treatment of football was a disgrace. One year we didnt even finish our county championship on time to the the extent we didnt have any representative in the Munster club championship... this was unforgiveable considering we had been as competitive as any other county in the club championship at the time. Had that happened to the hurling champions their would have been a rebellion. They were obsessed with Waterford winning an AI hurling championship and didnt want to leave any stone unturned and football was just something that got in their way and tossed to one side. Were seeing the effects of that now

The minor hurlers play Cork in a challenge match later at 6pm in Fraher Field.

For anybody who is interested you can listen to the Galway v Dublin match live on Galway Bay FM start 2.30

Its not going to get any better. We play Kerry next in the knockout qualifier, they were beaten by Tipp 2-09 to 0-08. Further underlines how far behind were falling why cant we aim to do what Tipp are doing

In relation to the County Board I think they are doing their best in the current difficult circumstances, its the administration of the previous county board which has left Waterford football in the doldrums. Im not going to mention names because we know who was running it but the treatment of football was a disgrace. One year we didnt even finish our county championship on time to the the extent we didnt have any representative in the Munster club championship... this was unforgiveable considering we had been as competitive as any other county in the club championship at the time. Had that happened to the hurling champions their would have been a rebellion. They were obsessed with Waterford winning an AI hurling championship and didnt want to leave any stone unturned and football was just something that got in their way and tossed to one side. Were seeing the effects of that now
    Things certainly are not getting better. Waterford 0.9 l London 0.9 and this game was in Dungarvan.:mad:

The minor hurlers play Cork in a challenge match later at 6pm in Fraher Field.

Anyone heading to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Things certainly are not getting better. Waterford 0.9 l London 0.9 and this game was in Dungarvan.:mad:

Disappointing to see Wicklow going up as we beat them again this year as we normally do. Was there another experimental line up put out today or what, we beat London quite easily in championship last year.

Orizio wrote: »
    Anyone heading to this?

Waterford 1-19 Cork 0-17

Good display by Waterford, particularly second half. Best on show were Shane McNulty, Stephen Bennett (got about 1-4), Kieran Power, Colin Dunford and Austin Gleeson.

Thanks, any word on who played well for Cork Cake Man?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Waterford 1-19 Cork 0-17

Good display by Waterford, particularly second half. Best on show were Shane McNulty, Stephen Bennett (got about 1-4), Kieran Power, Colin Dunford and Austin Gleeson.

Much improved on the tipp display last week, though I think Tipp look a better side than Cork , would add corner back ( Tadgh de burke) and Dunford's midfield partner( lad from Ballygunner i think), would worry about McNulty up against a more phisical centre forward though , plenty of hurling and good dilivery but suspect under high ball,

Orizio wrote: »
    Thanks, any word on who played well for Cork Cake Man?

I couldn't give you names as there wasn't any programs or teamsheet but if it's of any use, I thought the centre forward with a white helmet called Kevin was good, as was the centre back (big lad with green helmet). The full forward got a few nice scores aswell.
    Much improved on the tipp display last week, though I think Tipp look a better side than Cork , would add corner back ( Tadgh de burke) and Dunford's midfield partner( lad from Ballygunner i think), would worry about McNulty up against a more phisical centre forward though , plenty of hurling and good dilivery but suspect under high ball,

Yeah Burke was good aswell, not sure who that was midfield with Dunford, Ian Kenny maybe?
    Very impressed with goalkeeper Eoin Kearns, his puckouts and distribution is excellent. Huge advantage to have a keeper able to put a ball into the hand of a player 30-80 yards up field and this resulted in plenty of Waterford attacks that yielded scores.
    Adam O'Sullivan also did well when introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I couldn't give you names as there wasn't any programs or teamsheet but if it's of any use, I thought the centre forward with a white helmet called Kevin was good, as was the centre back (big lad with green helmet). The full forward got a few nice scores aswell.

Yeah Burke was good aswell, not sure who that was midfield with Dunford, Ian Kenny maybe?
    Very impressed with goalkeeper Eoin Kearns, his puckouts and distribution is excellent. Huge advantage to have a keeper able to put a ball into the hand of a player 30-80 yards up field and this resulted in plenty of Waterford attacks that yielded scores.

I thought Ian Kenny was overage?

Cheers, center-forward was Kevin O'Neill presumably.

Anyone else that was there happen to have the Cork team or some more info on them? Big ask I know.

I thought Ian Kenny was overage?

Not sure tbh, I just picked up on what Deise Doodler said about the player possibly being from Ballygunner. Not sure who was midfield with Colin Dunford.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Kearns did very well, great vision, intellegent and accurate puckouts, also organised and encoraged his backs well, pretty sure it was't kenny could be wrong about the Ballergunner link

• Advertisement

Did Waterford have their full-team out? Cork were missing their three or so dual players apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement