Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Success breeds Success.......

Either that or a damn good mentality!
    Players develop at different stages, where one manager might consider a player at u12 to be no use, might have a different opinion at minor. If that weak player is not developed through the grades, you will never know if he will ever be good enough, I imagine that this is harder in a small rural club, as you could wait more than a decade for a decent group of players to arrive at the one time, so every year you are working with maybe one or two decent players and making up the numbers with the rest. which means that you have no option but to develop.

Agree with the first five words, but if your team is useless at u12 and is the same at u21 it's not much good to you. Ok, with a small rural club it is quite conceivable that you'll have a very poor team every so often. It could happen that it would directly follow an immensely successful team. In that scenario, if the bad team has one or two quality players it's great. If a team is consistently struggling at underage, however, then how can they expect to have a good adult level team? (and when I say good I mean competitive).

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

The Waterford minor team will play Tipperary minors in a challenge match in the Mollerans field Carrickbeg at 7 pm tomorrow Tuesday 10th of April.Should be a useful exercise.Why not come along and give your support to our future players.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    The Waterford minor team will play Tipperary minors in a challenge match in the Mollerans field Carrickbeg at 7 pm tomorrow Tuesday 10th of April.Should be a useful exercise.Why not come along and give your support to our future players.
    im sure they will have to pay for lights ,and there supposed to be skint whats wrong with dungarvan its not that far away put a bucket inside the door leave people throw what ever they can in

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoring forward

Was anybody at the challenge match today between the senior and u21 team this morning. Was working and did not make it.Anybody i asked did not know about it.What was the senior line up like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

If that was a city team or a team from a large town, then they would lose players to other sports. I am not saying that it is not the right attitude to have, just saying that its easy to do when there are no other things for the kids to do. The balance between winning and development is very hard to achieve.

People in Rural areas have more attractions than the GAA now more than they had 20 or 30 years ago. Rural clubs have as many if not more than urban clubs have and loose players every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

mccarthy37 wrote: »

This definately going ahead? Might take a trip up for a look.

Edit: Going ahead, sorry just didn't see this advertised or mentioned anywhere else so just wanted to confirm to avoid a wasted journey up! Will throw up a match report later.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Any word on the Game between the Seniors and the U21's?

Was anybody at the challenge match today between the senior and u21 team this morning. Was working and did not make it.Anybody i asked did not know about it.What was the senior line up like.
    HillFarmer wrote: »
    Any word on the Game between the Seniors and the U21's?

I wasn't at it but the seniors won by about 6 or 7 pts. The names mentioned to me were Soky, Paudric and Philip Mahony, Paudi Prendergast, Jim Dee, Martin O'Neill, Gavin O'Brien, Jake Dillon lined out for the U21's. I presume Darragh Fives and Brian O'Halloran also did too. Decent team there.
    Didn't get the senior team, presume it had the usuals-Power, Ringo, Lawlor, Brick, Moran, SOS, Molumphy, S. Prender, Mullane, Shane Walsh etc.
    The U21's have a challenge v Cork in Midleton on Saturday at 4pm, might head down.

Cake Man wrote: »
    I wasn't at it but the seniors won by about 6 or 7 pts. The names mentioned to me were Soky, Paudric and Philip Mahony, Paudi Prendergast, Jim Dee, Martin O'Neill, Gavin O'Brien, Jake Dillon lined out for the U21's. I presume Darragh Fives and Brian O'Halloran also did too. Decent team there.
    Didn't get the senior team, presume it had the usuals-Power, Ringo, Lawlor, Brick, Moran, SOS, Molumphy, S. Prender, Mullane, Shane Walsh etc.
    The U21's have a challenge v Cork in Midleton on Saturday at 4pm, might head down.
    e kelly with 2-6

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

The Senior team was;

1 Iggy - Replaced by Adrian Power at half-time.
    2 David O'Sullivan
    3 Aidan Kearney
    4 Stephen Daniels
    5 Jamie Nagle
    6 Kevin Moran
    7 Shane O'Sullivan
    8 Dean Twomey
    9 Paul O'Brien
    10 Molumphy
    11 Seamus Pender
    12 Eoin Kelly
    13 Tommy Ryan
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Paudie Nevin

Maurice, Brick, Shane Casey came on. Couple of others too possibly.

U21 team;

1 SOK
    2 Jamie Barron
    3 John Dee
    4 ?
    5 Paidi Prendergast
    6 Daragh Fives
    7 John Prendergast
    8 Martin O'Neill
    9 Ray Barry
    10 Gavin O'Brien
    11 Eamon Murphy
    12 Brian O'Halloran
    13 ? Paul Power
    14 Eoin Madigan
    15 Jake Dillon

Sorry to the corner back I can't remember!

Think the score was 4-18 to 20 points.

Kelly scored 2-6 but nearly all from placed balls. Tommy Ryan got a couple of sweet scores.

Gavin and Eamonn Murphy stood out for the under 21's.

Weak enough Senior team. Wouldn't look too much into this at all. Good run out for the U21's and I suppose will do a bit for fitness levels. Neither of the Mahonys were involved, if you add them to that U21 team named I think you have a team that should be serious contenders.

Also Cakeman, If thats the Jim Dee I'm thinking of, i think he's overage for the U21!

• Advertisement

glick6 wrote: »
    The Senior team was;

1 Iggy - Replaced by Adrian Power at half-time.
    2 David O'Sullivan
    3 Aidan Kearney
    4 Stephen Daniels
    5 Jamie Nagle
    6 Kevin Moran
    7 Shane O'Sullivan
    8 Dean Twomey
    9 Paul O'Brien
    10 Molumphy
    11 Seamus Pender
    12 Eoin Kelly
    13 Tommy Ryan
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Paudie Nevin

Maurice, Brick, Shane Casey came on. Couple of others too possibly.

U21 team;

1 SOK
    2 Jamie Barron
    3 John Dee
    4 ?
    5 Paidi Prendergast
    6 Daragh Fives
    7 John Prendergast
    8 Martin O'Neill
    9 Ray Barry
    10 Gavin O'Brien
    11 Eamon Murphy
    12 Brian O'Halloran
    13 ? Paul Power
    14 Eoin Madigan
    15 Jake Dillon

Sorry to the corner back I can't remember!

Think the score was 4-18 to 20 points.

Kelly scored 2-6 but nearly all from placed balls. Tommy Ryan got a couple of sweet scores.

Gavin and Eamonn Murphy stood out for the under 21's.

Weak enough Senior team. Wouldn't look too much into this at all. Good run out for the U21's and I suppose will do a bit for fitness levels. Neither of the Mahonys were involved, if you add them to that U21 team named I think you have a team that should be serious contenders.

Also Cakeman, If thats the Jim Dee I'm thinking of, i think he's overage for the U21!

Stephen O'Keeffe, Tom Curran or Mark Wyse? Any of them the corner back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Newstalk reporting dec prendergast retired and today fm saying seamus ... anyone know who has actually left?

Ha sorry, John Dee! :D

Was only keeping scores in my head but I got Waterford 0-21 Tipp 1-21 in the minor challenge game at St. Mollerans last night.

Tipp much the better team in the first half, winning all the 50:50's and cleaning out all over the field. Before Waterford knew they were in a game, they were 1-6 to 0-1 down. Half time score I think was something like 1-13 to 0-8 and not looking good from a Waterford perspective.
    Second half Waterford were much improved and began to eat into Tipps lead, which was up to 10pts at one stage. The last twenty minutes Waterford dominated, with Stephen Bennett coming on and scoring a few points. Waterford got it back to a point but Tipp got the last score to seal it.

Plenty of positives to be taken from it. The first half performance was fairly flat but the second half saw a big improvement with Waterford showing good character to fight their way back into it. 21 points isn't bad scoring either but we didn't get much of a sniff of a goal all game. The wet and greasy conditions made it difficult at times with some poor wides on both sides. Some loose marking typical of a challenge game.
    Couldn't say what the team was with no programme/teamsheet available but it was mainly the Colaiste na Deise lads-Eoin Kearns (made a great one-on-one save second half when a Tipp goal would have finished the contest) , Tadgh Burke (solid and tidy defender), Colin Dunford, Michael Harney, Kieran Power, Cathal Curran (did well, dryer and firmer ground will suit him come championship). Shane McNulty and Adam O'Sullivan from DLS also played and as mentioned, Stephen Bennett came on and did well.

This day three weeks, it'll be Clare in the first round of the minor championship in Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

tonc76 wrote: »
    Newstalk reporting dec prendergast retired and today fm saying seamus ... anyone know who has actually left?

Hope not.

2 fine lads never let their county down for lack of commitment or respect for the jersey anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Forgot to say last night Michael Moynihan(sp) tweeted saying there'd be some "Significant Waterford hurling news" in the Irish Examiner today..
    Chances of it being a Prendergast retirement?

EDIT: Wlr tweeted Declan retired

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Another strange twist in this year if Declan has indeed retired. Suppose we'll hear for definite and maybe get some reasons behind it but I'm surprised. Maybe he wasn't willing to play a bit part. There's a lot of competition for places in the backs.

Best of luck in retirement Dec.

12 years intercounty hurling, its a long time.

When was the last time he came on? Don't think he would have featured in the championship to be honest.

Thanks Declan for the service to Waterford. Very good corner back in his day, and probably a better full back than I gave him credit for. His fantastic commitment cannot be questioned, and sad to see another member of the golden era leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Excellent match winning performance by Dec in 2010 at half back versus Clare.

He was unfortunate to have been burdened with filling that full back position for years. But nonetheless a loyal servant and can look back on a successful hurling career with national league and munster medals.

When was the last time he came on? Don't think he would have featured in the championship to be honest.

Thanks Declan for the service to Waterford. Very good corner back in his day, and probably a better full back than I gave him credit for. His fantastic commitment cannot be questioned, and sad to see another member of the golden era leave.

I always thought wing back was his best position, himself ken/Brick and Brown were a strong halfbackline as you could get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Best wishes to Declan in his retirement. Has all the hallmarks of the right decision, and a good time to bow out, the way things stand at the back. A selfless servant for Waterford, and as a fan, regret only that we probably did not see the best of the man, having been lumbered with the full back spot for so long. A well deserved retirement, and one to be enjoyed :)

Best of luck to Dec, great servant over the years. Best game he played IMO was the 2010 Munster semi v Clare coming off the bench to score 3 points from half back that effectively won us the game.
    To be fair, he probably knew he was unlikely to feature much this year with a good few ahead of him in the pecking order. Also I believe he got married recently so it couldn't be easy training a few nights a week and knowing that you weren't likely to be involved later on in the year. Hopefully Seamus doesn't follow suit as I think he can do a job half forward.

When was the last time he came on? Don't think he would have featured in the championship to be honest .

I agree, he hadnt really featured in the new managements plans at all and at 30 odd years of age you can understand the decision. The best he could have aimed for this year was to play a bit-part soI think the time is right for him.
    Sad to see another one of the old guard go nonetheless. Dec had some ups and down in the deise colours but the honour he and seamus have shown for the waterford jersey has to be applauded. Looking forward to seeing Seamus having a big part to play this summer

cakeman we must be floating on the exact same wavelength:o

cakeman we must be floating on the exact same wavelength:o

Ha yeah that's mad, no post for 5 hours and we both post at the exact same time!:p

Ha yeah that's mad, no post for 5 hours and we both post at the exact same time!:p
    good man declan you were and are a very honest hurler always gave you all

Was having this chat with someone the other day about young talent in Waterford. Anyone know what happened to Craig Moloney? (De la Salle)

Made his debut for waterford minors in 04 while just out of Tony Forristal, outstanding for waterford minors in 05 06 and Captained DLS to Harty and AI Colleges in 07. He looked the real deal back then but seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth since....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Was having this chat with someone the other day about young talent in Waterford. Anyone know what happened to Craig Moloney? (De la Salle)

Made his debut for waterford minors in 04 while just out of Tony Forristal, outstanding for waterford minors in 05 06 and Captained DLS to Harty and AI Colleges in 07. He looked the real deal back then but seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth since....:confused:

He stopped playing hurling altogether I heard. Apparently was sick of it

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

He packed it in after the Harty burnt out an no desire to play,he'l never lift a hurley again he was a great underage player in fairness to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

He packed it in after the Harty burnt out an no desire to play,he'l never lift a hurley again he was a great underage player in fairness to him

Jesus that's mental? He just packed it in? What a strange thing to do, after all the success! Ive never heard anything like that in all my life to be honest. How could be just pack it in like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement