Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Which of these lads will be featuring for waterf minors against tipp next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Days like today are the legacy of the great team which started to emerge in '98, well done Dungarvan colleges, and well done every one of their clubs who started them off on the journey to the all Ireland victory today, great work going in on the ground in Waterford these days, long may it continue and if it does our day will surely come

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jibsalot

Well done to the 3 schools involved in all Ireland final today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Only got to watch back on TG4 player tonight but a great game, and a great win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is this Dungarvan's first win at this level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

correct me if wrong , but with not discussing the league title of 2007 , is this the first all ireland in Waterford since '92 ?

As i'v said before , we are not at the end of an era , but at the bottom of an transitionary 3-4 year period.

I am kinda glad that the teams performance no longer relies on whether eon Kelly (or insert name here) is having a good day ,that was never a model for consistency .

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

correct me if wrong , but with not discussing the league title of 2007 , is this the first all ireland in Waterford since '92

DLS College 07 and 08 All Ireland Colleges titles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I went to DLS ,when mullane was there no less (and was in the same class as shane o sullivan as it happens )

guess i shouldn't be so ignorant about these things, nonetheless, it's not the end of an era but the beginning of one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Who would have been the stars of those teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Orizio wrote: »
    Who would have been the stars of those teams.

stephen o keeffe, noel connors, steven daniels, 2 mahonys, brian sullivan, jake dillon, killian fitzgerald, barry coughlan from the current co senior panel!

others in 07 that werent there in 08 were david sullivan and craig moloney, think they were joint captains.

if that dungarvan colleges team can get as many as that DLS team to make the breakthrough at that level, theyll be going well, those DLS teams were exceptional for college sides, trained by derek mcgrath

• Advertisement

I went to DLS ,when mullane was there no less (and was in the same class as shane o sullivan as it happens )

guess i shouldn't be so ignorant about these things, nonetheless, it's not the end of an era but the beginning of one

Shocking you didnt remember ur own school winning 2 all irelands!
    Also blacwater won one a couple years ago with maurice dhan and darragh fives cant recall if it ws the b or c comp. Didnt dgarvan cbs win a b Ai themselves aswel? Anyway its all proof that the work at schools level is being put in with a good few years and yestersay was the ultimate reward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

BCS won the C and B on consecutive years, that's why they are in the Harty now. Dungarvan CBS are in the B final next week, having lost the B final last year

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Well done to all concerned, hopefully there will be good days ahead. So encouraging for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i was hoping limerick would win that game last night.

they have being unlucky the past few years

i was hoping limerick would win that game last night.

they have being unlucky the past few years

thats a big setback to them.

in fairness that 1b final is a joke. should it not be who finishes top of the league gets promoted and goes onto the semis, why they need to have a final makes no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Can i just say tadhg bourkes shoulder was MASSIVE

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

robopaddy wrote: »
    thats a big setback to them.

in fairness that 1b final is a joke. should it not be who finishes top of the league gets promoted and goes onto the semis, why they need to have a final makes no sense to me.
    The whole league set up is shambles really, I think we should have home and away games, have three divisions. Use that as the foundations,and fill in the spaces...
    Offaly limerick wexford antrim and all the rest of the 1B teams need to be playing the bigger teams to be making any progress.. and I think it should run through out the hurling season.. imo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

noiniho wrote: »
    BCS won the C and B on consecutive years, that's why they are in the Harty now. Dungarvan CBS are in the B final next week, having lost the B final last year

They lost the Munster Final last year, not the all-ireland. They won the Munster 3 years ago as well I believe, and lost either the final or semi final to a team from Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Has the waterford minor team been announced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Has the waterford minor team been announced yet?

Yes, the lads were told today at training in walsh park

• Advertisement

deisedub wrote: »
    Yes, the lads were told today at training in walsh park

Yeah but it won't be announced to the public til Tuesday at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jibsalot

Hard to see many county hurlers coming out of those deise colleges team

jibsalot wrote: »
    Hard to see many county hurlers coming out of those deise colleges team

Why's that now? Are you psychic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Hslaw wrote: »
    The whole league set up is shambles really, I think we should have home and away games, have three divisions. Use that as the foundations,and fill in the spaces...
    Offaly limerick wexford antrim and all the rest of the 1B teams need to be playing the bigger teams to be making any progress.. and I think it should run through out the hurling season.. imo..

Running the league throughout the summer would mean a continuation of games but such a system would render it near impossible for club championships to be ran off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Should make for a good game on Thursday evening, would absolutely love to be at it.

The CBS lads will surely be in great confidence but I'm just hoping that the physical exertion of Saturday's great win (well done to all involved btw, am delighted for them and think they well deserve it) won't have taken too much out of them as you'd expect at least 5 or 6 from that team to start on Thurs. I'd be thinking along the lines of Patrick Curran, Bourke, Devine, Harney, Kevin Daly, Ryan Donnelly etc. On a side note, have all these players come through with a clean bill of health? Reading through the posts from the match on Sat, some mentioned Curran got a nasty belt to the hand, is he fine for Thurs?
    Are the 3 Bennetts underage and Seanie Barry underage again? The latter should be no. 1. All in all, it looks a strong team.
    It'll be tough as Tipp are always strong at this grade. The loser out 6 days later makes it a must win game, you'd feel but if we win we'll be into a semi up in Limerick so either way it's not easy!
    Have confidence in the lads though, I know last year they just never got going v Tipp up above in Thurles and I don't think that was a true reflection of thier potential so please God they'll come good on Thursday.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Should make for a good game on Thursday evening, would absolutely love to be at it.

The CBS lads will surely be in great confidence but I'm just hoping that the physical exertion of Saturday's great win (well done to all involved btw, am delighted for them and think they well deserve it) won't have taken too much out of them as you'd expect at least 5 or 6 from that team to start on Thurs. I'd be thinking along the lines of Patrick Curran, Bourke, Devine, Harney, Kevin Daly, Ryan Donnelly etc. On a side note, have all these players come through with a clean bill of health? Reading through the posts from the match on Sat, some mentioned Curran got a nasty belt to the hand, is he fine for Thurs?
    Are the 3 Bennetts underage and Seanie Barry underage again? The latter should be no. 1. All in all, it looks a strong team.
    It'll be tough as Tipp are always strong at this grade. The loser out 6 days later makes it a must win game, you'd feel but if we win we'll be into a semi up in Limerick so either way it's not easy!
    Have confidence in the lads though, I know last year they just never got going v Tipp up above in Thurles and I don't think that was a true reflection of thier potential so please God they'll come good on Thursday.

Seanie Barry is overage. At least two of the three Bennetts (including Stephen) are underage. Curran played on and scored a couple of points after as well when he was hit on the hand, I'd say he'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Can i just say tadhg bourkes shoulder was MASSIVE

Just saw this on FB !

Some hit. Jesus.

solarith wrote: »
    Just saw this on FB !

Some hit. Jesus.

Missed that because I switched over but heard them talking about an incident that might have been a red card after the game. Could have been, he didn't have either foot on the ground and went straight into his front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That was a serious shoulder, nearly took the top half of his body clean off! Did he get a yellow for it?

Will they be doing the match on Thurs live on WLR lads? Also, what time is throw in? Getting up at 4am Friday morning to listen to it seems tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Cake Man wrote: »
    That was a serious shoulder, nearly took the top half of his body clean off! Did he get a yellow for it?

Will they be doing the match on Thurs live on WLR lads? Also, what time is throw in? Getting up at 4am Friday morning to listen to it seems tempting.

Ref didn't even give a free! Throw ball after the other guy was carried off...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement