Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

from what ive seen of him...obviously there was that 1 game v dls last year that everybody else has seen that i didnt see which people here are judging him as a corner forward on, so that makes him a corner forward i suppose. so i take it back, hes an out and out corner forward.

does that make you happy?

very happy very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

anyone know how much it is to get in today ??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

anyone know how much it is to get in today ??

€13

Chinpool wrote: »
    €13

cheers nice one. many there yet ?

cheers nice one. many there yet ?

No idea. Not there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Desperate stuff in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Short puck outs with a strong wind ?????????
    I can't get me head around it at all, baffled

This has been unbelievably crap so far. We're all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

I hope either Cork or Kilkenny do us a favour and one of them beat each other. As it stands we are in the relegation play off with Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

Draw at half time in the Kilkenny Cork match. Please god let someone win...... Anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

C'mon the cats. *spits*

:-/

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

We owe the Cats for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Brutal stuff in the first half, ref was also brutal in the first half,
    Glad to maintain out D-1 status.. also we should of getting a penalty.Shamus pulled and dragged all over the place.
    It was fu*king freezing down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

robopaddy wrote: »
    well howd u know hes not a corner forward then

what about that, ray barry played as a roving corner forward roll leaving a 2 man full forward line, guess i was right paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Its annoying to have no more games but if you had offered me 4th at the start of the league Id have snatched it off.

All in all a positive league campaign. I think we know our best team in about 12 positions now and have some exciting prospects like J Barron coming through.

HillFarmer wrote: »

Not really. We lost by 3. If KK-Cork had finished level then Galways scoring diff would have been worse than ours and they would have been 5th and would have played Clare in the relegation match.

Anyway to todays match, a lot of it was desperate soul destroying stuff to watch. Firstly the negatives. SHORT PUCK OUTS DO NOT WORK FOR US - this needs to be shouted at every training session. Please Please Please stop doing them. We were also very wasteful with a lot of aimless balls, overplayed possesion far too much, and lack of scoring threat is extremely worrying. The ref was pure rubbish as well.

On the positive side, once again defence was impressive helped by some wayward Joe Canning shooting though. Maurice did well on frees for the second half. We were still well in it at the end and fighting hard which has become a bit of a trademark for this team. A big however though is that we could easily have been miles behind.

Once again we finish 4th in 1A and while it is good to avoid relegation, its extremely frustrating for a second year in a row to have our league finished before April even starts. Its a huge drawback to the current format of the league that one of the teams from 1A has no further competitive games just as the sod firms up and weather gets warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not really. We lost by 3. If KK-Cork had finished level then Galways scoring diff would have been worse than ours and they would have been 5th and would have played Clare in the relegation match.

Anyway to todays match, a lot of it was desperate soul destroying stuff to watch. Firstly the negatives. SHORT PUCK OUTS DO NOT WORK FOR US - this needs to be shouted at every training session. Please Please Please stop doing them. We were also very wasteful with a lot of aimless balls, overplayed possesion far too much, and lack of scoring threat is extremely worrying. The ref was pure rubbish as well.

On the positive side, once again defence was impressive helped by some wayward Joe Canning shooting though. Maurice did well on frees for the second half. We were still well in it at the end and fighting hard which has become a bit of a trademark for this team. A big however though is that we could easily have been miles behind.

Once again we finish 4th in 1A and while it is good to avoid relegation, its extremely frustrating for a second year in a row to have our league finished before April even starts. Its a huge drawback to the current format of the league that one of the teams from 1A has no further competitive games just as the sod firms up and weather gets warmer

And there I was biting my nails watching the Kikenny Cork match needlessly!
    Fancy Cork on todays showing to beat Clare.

And there I was biting my nails watching the Kikenny Cork match needlessly!
    Fancy Cork on todays showing to beat Clare.

To be fair if it finished level and we lost by 4 we would have been in the play off. So it was all on a knife edge, I dont think people realised at the game anyway, I spent almost as much time in the closing 5 mins checking my phone for score updates from Nowlan Park as I did looking at the action on field in Walsh Park

we owe them nothing !!!!

what we would owe them is a good skinning if anything

Daysha wrote: »
    crest_waterford1.gif

2009 - 2011 thread here

This is our year :)
    what about that, ray barry played as a roving corner forward roll leaving a 2 man full forward line, guess i was right paddy

touche... hold on til i just pick myself up off the floor here

• Advertisement

we had plenty of goal chances but couldn't deliver on them pity. we could of winning that game despite the poor performance in the first half.

that ref shouldn't never be aloud ref an under age game let a lone an inter county game.

lets hope cork get a knocked down a few pegs and dropped into 1B :-) nothing would make me happier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Seriously, what was with that ref, how many times did prender get dragged down before he gave a free.

As the commentator said on TG4 ,thew yellow was for repeated offenses yet he never blew him up before?

It seemed the only reason he awarded us anything was to not make it look too one sided,and when we did have a free awarded, there was usually no scoring threat.

The team was so scared to play as they could do nothing without getting blown up, that i think it sapped any chance we had of winnning the game.

to top it all off, they weren't blown for timewasting when we really had only seconds to spare.

To be fair he disallowed a fair goal in our favour,but at that stage he had taken all the momentum out of the team with his one sided blowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

touche... hold on til i just pick myself up off the floor here

no problem paddy, the phrase 2 ears and 1 mouth springs to mind:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Seriously, what was with that ref, how many times did prender get dragged down before he gave a free.

As the commentator said on TG4 ,thew yellow was for repeated offenses yet he never blew him up before?

It seemed the only reason he awarded us anything was to not make it look too one sided,and when we did have a free awarded, there was usually no scoring threat.

The team was so scared to play as they could do nothing without getting blown up, that i think it sapped any chance we had of winnning the game.

to top it all off, they weren't blown for timewasting when we really had only seconds to spare.

To be fair he disallowed a fair goal in our favour,but at that stage he had taken all the momentum out of the team with his one sided blowing

Squareball

no problem paddy, the phrase 2 ears and 1 mouth springs to mind:D

before all the obituaries and doom and gloom posts floood in like they do after every deefeat, as do the people who get completely carried away when we win (i recall at least one posdter saying hes goin throwin a score on us to win the ai after last weeks win) id just like to congratulate ml ryan and his team on a very productive league campain and a good performance today against last years all ireland finalists. we are a young up and coming team no doubt and we have to realise we are a work in progress. we are in the colleges ginal next week and believe you me there are a few gems coming through from that aswell. i hacve no fears about the future of waterford hurling. deise abu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

O Riain wrote: »
    Squareball

The commentators replayed it 3 times and reckoned it was fair, good enough for me
    before all the obituaries and doom and gloom posts floood in like they do after every deefeat, as do the people who get completely carried away when we win (i recall at least one posdter saying hes goin throwin a score on us to win the ai after last weeks win) id just like to congratulate ml ryan and his team on a very productive league campain and a good performance today against last years all ireland finalists. we are a young up and coming team no doubt and we have to realise we are a work in progress. we are in the colleges ginal next week and believe you me there are a few gems coming through from that aswell. i hacve no fears about the future of waterford hurling. deise abu

robo, fair point, this keeps us as a top 5 team, with prospects as opposed to what some people belive were a divison 1b team ,who were on course to be the next offaly or wexford

im happy with this years league performance. saying that. i would of loving to get to the semis.but we avoided the drop to 1B. main objective at the start of the league

everyone assumed we were destined to drop down. once again we proved every critic in the country wrong.
    we are rated one of the top 5 teams in the country. which is fair. imo

our young lads need time to grow into the game. and they showed some guts in the league

we won a few we lost a few and we drew 1

had highs and lows...all round

pity we'll go longer than most teams with out game time. but what can be done.

but over all fair play to scully and co well done. 90% of people on this site wanted his head on a pike last years league performance...

we need Waterford men to step up and manage the county teams

looking forward to the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

So here we are in limbo again. Thought it was overall a poor enough game, but it was absolutely freezing and Im sure the ball and the hurleys were wet so that obviously never helped anybody. We were very poor first half with the wind. Galway had the extra men dropping deep to prevent Seamus catching the ball, and it worked a treat for them. They cleaned up on the breaks. This is the criticism Id have of the management in that they selected Iggy again, and I think it was purely on account of us winning last week. In fairness I mean no disrespect to Iggy, everyone is worth a chance and hes done a lot of things right but his puckouts are way to high and that much was clear to me last week. People just don't appreciate what Stephen O'Keeffe brings to the table I feel, and he's a big talent that needs to be nurtured. Who's going to play in goal in June now?

Galway looked far better, and but for the most unlikely thing happening and Canning missing a penalty (he really was woeful today, even if he got on a lot of ball) we could have been further behind. That said the ref was atrocious towards us in the first half, and I have to say that Iarla Tannian who was Galway's man of the match in the first half (though he faded badly second half) should have been sent off. Moran raced past him, and Tannian just pulled on him one handed. The ref gave a free but nothing more. Now, if it was a two handed sing he'd definitely have been sent off, but some would argue that he was trying to flick the ball away from Brick. I'm afraid that doesn't wash with me on this occasion though because he was way to far behind Moran. There's no place in the game for that kind of thing.

All this aside, but for a missed free by Dillon at the end of the first half resulting in Canning sticking one over down the far end (a two point swing) and a stupid call by whoever made the decision for Maurice to go for goal from a 21 when there was still 20 minutes left and we were only 4 down, we could have drawn the game. A simplistic view in light of Canning's misses, but there were other things like Seamus being denied a clear penalty and Maurice catching fresh air instead of the ball in the first half with a goal beckoning could have been different. But there's no such thing as perfect efficiency in a game of hurling, ultimately we just didn't create enough chances.

The positives were there to be seen again in how we dominated midfield second half. In the backs, I thought the performances of the Fives brothers were very encouraging. Shane has his place nailed down for championship which is great to see, and Darragh was just exceptional in the second half. Up front, Maurice played quite well second half, Seamus Prender caught a few balls full forward and I though that the work rate was great again, especially from Jamie Barron who was rewarded for it with a great score first half.

It's natural to be disappointed when you lose but it was still a good league campaign where a lot of young players but there hand up and showed they are willing and able to step into the breach in the absence of Mullane and Molumphy, and you can't really ask for more than that. Hon The Déise :)

Oh and fairplay to the management as well, they've done really well over the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Fairly reasonable answer.

Agreed, the problem is the GAA playing both codes on the same weekend. Real own goal for the promotion of either code, by making it impossible for broadcasters to cover it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

here here. marian finucane is paid 450k a year to talk absolute dog manure for abt 3 hrs a week

Tip of the iceberg..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement