Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

dzilla, if you can't refute someone's opinion in a civilised way, then please do not post. Consider this a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Im thinking that Waterford could be a good bet to win the league.It would be some achievement if Michael Ryan land's a league title considering the unnecessary pressure the man's been put under which has been unwarranted imo.If you look at last year Waterford conceded a few soft goals in the munster final and missed a few chances.The Cork match could have went either way just like most of the recent Cork v Waterford matches.Cork just got a surge of momentum at the end and seemed to be a bit more fitter and pacier as well and JBM possibly had a stronger subs bench.It wasn't Michael Ryans fault that Shane Walsh went off injured or that Eoin McGrath didn't catch that ball near the end.If Eoin caught that ball,scored a goal and if Waterford went on to beat Galway the following week Michael would have been hailed as the second coming of Jesus!It's a fine margin between being seen as a hero by people or the most useless bstard that ever lived.
    ur right in a lot of what u say but definetly the decisions on the line didnt help matters. no it wasnt ryans fault dat mcgrath dropped the ball but it was his call to bring him on in the first place. he brought him and casey on when there were clearly better options on the bench. these were lads who had been given plenty chances before and had been shown to come up short. the casey move was particularly bizare considering he had hardly featured all year and many people had forgotten he was even on the panel. anyway thats done snd dusted youd have to give management the benefit of the doubt as it was their first season in charge and the early indications this year is that they have learned from their mistakes.
    i hear wat u say regarding the league its wide open for a team like waterford this year. my dark horses would be limerick i think they will be a surprise package this year.
    where i think waterford will ultimately fall short however is not enough scoring forwards. while the tipp win was brilliant if u look at it jamie barrons point with 3 mins left was our first score from play in the second half and it ultimately took a wing back to come up and fire over the winner. while we have some nice young forwards coming through we are still a bit raw and lightweight. 2 big players for us this year will be brick and moran and god help us if one of them gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

robopaddy wrote: »
    ur right in a lot of what u say but definetly the decisions on the line didnt help matters. no it wasnt ryans fault dat mcgrath dropped the ball but it was his call to bring him on in the first place. he brought him and casey on when there were clearly better options on the bench. these were lads who had been given plenty chances before and had been shown to come up short. the casey move was particularly bizare considering he had hardly featured all year and many people had forgotten he was even on the panel. anyway thats done snd dusted youd have to give management the benefit of the doubt as it was their first season in charge and the early indications this year is that they have learned from their mistakes.
    i hear wat u say regarding the league its wide open for a team like waterford this year. my dark horses would be limerick i think they will be a surprise package this year.
    where i think waterford will ultimately fall short however is not enough scoring forwards. while the tipp win was brilliant if u look at it jamie barrons point with 3 mins left was our first score from play in the second half and it ultimately took a wing back to come up and fire over the winner. while we have some nice young forwards coming through we are still a bit raw and lightweight. 2 big players for us this year will be brick and moran and god help us if one of them gets injured.

That's what cost us last year against Cork. You have to remember we didn't have Dillon, O'Halloran, J Barron or B O'Sullivan on the line last year and so options were limited. It might be another year or two before we have the same options of Kilkenny and Tipperary in the forwards to go and challenge for an all ireland. Winning against Galway on sunday is the only objective for the next 4 days. Lose and some other game ends in a draw then a relegation play off is back on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Below is a response I received from RTE regarding last Sunday night's lack of hurling coverage.

Rory O’Neill is my name.
    I’m the Programme Editor for League Sunday.

It’s incumbent upon me to firstly point out a few things.

RTE do not have the rights to the league.
    Our rights entitle us to show highlights only.

Unfortunately we do not have the resources at THIS TIME of the year to cover everything.
    Over the weekend there was 34 matches in hurling and football in the Allianz Leagues.

It's simply not realistic to think ANY broadcaster could achieve that level of coverage.
    So someone will always be left out.

As a result we have to pick the games we CAN cover bearing in mind a number of criteria

- 1. What we think the viewer will want to see
    - 2. Logistics AND cost in getting the footage back to base, edited and turned around for an 8pm slot.

Walsh Park in Waterford is an especially difficult place and presents a special set of problems with the second point.

We made a valiant effort to get the Galway V Cork match turned around in time but failed.
    For that I have already issued an apology.
    The report is now online if you want to have a look.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/809/378272/

We have very limited budgets, very limited time and very limited resources at this time of the year and have to pick and choose carefully what we do.

This week our entire programme will be devoted to hurling and will include action from all three crunch Division 1A matches.
    And while I understand your frustrations all I can do is assure you we are doing our level best with the limited budgets available.

Thanks
    Rory O’Neill
    Series Editor
    League Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Below is a response I received from RTE regarding last Sunday night's lack of hurling coverage.

Fair play anyway, at least he came back to you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Fairly reasonable answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Given tommorrows a bank holiday,is the team announced tonight or tommorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Money is tight everywhere but reading the papers this morning about the huge salaries RTE are paying their top stars it looks like they are sacrificing their programe output to meet these wages does that make sense. How did TG4 manage a match report for GAA beo and very few people even noticed their presence there. The letter of explanation from RTE looks like they think Waterford is outer Mongolia. It looks like the NHL is not very high on their priority sporting list. TG4 blew that explanation out of the water.
    Best of luck to all of the team on Sunday Galway are coming down here desperate for a win where as a draw will do us but another win would make this a very successful league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Deskjockey wrote: »
    What is the story on Tony Browne. Why won't he come out to say he will or won't make himself available this year. He is a legend and owes Waterford hurling absolutely nothing but shouldn't he come out and confirm one way or the other about this year? Looking at how strong we have looked 2-9 in the league so far you'd imagine opportunities will be limited for him this year....
    Time waits for no man and all that.

tonc76 wrote: »

Concise, to the point, clear, well argued, I like it

Eh.... What!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Money is tight everywhere but reading the papers this morning about the huge salaries RTE are paying their top stars it looks like they are sacrificing their programe output to meet these wages does that make sense. How did TG4 manage a match report for GAA beo and very few people even noticed their presence there. The letter of explanation from RTE looks like they think Waterford is outer Mongolia. It looks like the NHL is not very high on their priority sporting list. TG4 blew that explanation out of the water.
    Best of luck to all of the team on Sunday Galway are coming down here desperate for a win where as a draw will do us but another win would make this a very successful league campaign.

here here. marian finucane is paid 450k a year to talk absolute dog manure for abt 3 hrs a week

Waterford has a studio , the footage can be digitised and transmitted , in addition can't take anymore than 110 minutes to get to donnybrook on a sunday with the minimal traffic

I 'd love to see Tony Browne state he is to retire,but only at a future date.

Would hate him to have his last game without us knowing it is his last...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Concise, to the point, clear, well argued, I like it

Eh.... What!?

"He is a legend and owes Waterford hurling absolutely nothing" .... however he does owe you an answer to whether he's retiring or not????

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/we-couldnt-care-less-what-people-think-of-us-29159959.html

What ye reckon ?

How great would it be to win silverware with a Waterford manager in tow .

on a side note,Waterford 40/1 to win the AI .om not a betting man but surely that's worth a punt

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Laochra Gael on TG4 about Paul Flynn starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

alllcounty wrote: »
    That's what cost us last year against Cork. You have to remember we didn't have Dillon, O'Halloran, J Barron or B O'Sullivan on the line last year and so options were limited. It might be another year or two before we have the same options of Kilkenny and Tipperary in the forwards to go and challenge for an all ireland. Winning against Galway on sunday is the only objective for the next 4 days. Lose and some other game ends in a draw then a relegation play off is back on the table.

Will someone clarify, do both of the other games have to end in draws before we can end up in a relegation playoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'll tell you what the problem is with RTE Ryle Nugent the head of the sports programming department is the problem.The man is biased towards Rugby at the expense of the GAA programming.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    Will someone clarify, do both of the other games have to end in draws before we can end up in a relegation playoff?

No, just 1. If we lose by more than 3 points and there is1 draw we end up in the playoff.

If both end up level and we lose then all six teams would end on 5pts,which would be mental. We would be in the play off though :(

Positive side up tho, we'll top the table. Believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

have a bad feeling about this match. The nerves will be worse than championship time lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    have a bad feeling about this match.

No surprise there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

have a bad feeling about this match. The nerves will be worse than championship time lol
    You had them to be relegated before a ball was thrown in, you took back what you said after they beat tipperary last week then. Do you have any bit of optimism for this team lol?

I get worried when we're tipped to win, or when someone plays don't stop believing

I get worried when we're tipped to win, or when someone plays don't stop believing
    Galway are favourites

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Galway are favourites

good stuff,tis in the bag so (on a side note ,PP give us +1)

can you see 1 of the corner backs getting dropped for noel connors?

tonc76 wrote: »
    "He is a legend and owes Waterford hurling absolutely nothing" .... however he does owe you an answer to whether he's retiring or not????

I just think its been going on now for months now, and the longer it goes on the more I wonder why doesn't he make a decision and is there something more to it than Tony not being able to make up his mind. We'll know soon enough I suppose.

But yeah he does owe me an answer personally. :D

I just think its been going on now for months now, and the longer it goes on the more I wonder why doesn't he make a decision and is there something more to it than Tony not being able to make up his mind. We'll know soon enough I suppose.

But yeah he does owe me an answer personally. :D

~As Marty Morrisey said, and i paraphrase "heres a man who will never have to buy a pint in Waterford"

All you owe him is the honour of making sure he never pays for a pint in a pub you happen to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

there might be white smoke on the tony browne front
    judging by the very quick look at the front page of tomorrow's independent
    that we got at the end of tonight with vincent browne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement