Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Just watched Paul Flynn on Laochra Gaol. Great feature so many memories came flooding back. What an absolutely gifted hurler he was.

His take on the AI hurling final 08 very interesting, extremely frank and honest interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

According to the Irish Independent Tony Browne will make a return to the panel as early as next week. It would be great to have him back. With Darragh Fives moved to midfield to plug gaps we are short half backs on the panel at the moment and he may be very useful if anything were to happen the brick or moran throughout the year.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/veteran-browne-nearing-return-to-waterford-fold-29162547.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Galway not calling up the St Thomas players who were in club final. That is a positive IMO. Just need to stop the Joe show now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

KevIRL wrote: »
    Galway not calling up the St Thomas players who were in club final. That is a positive IMO. Just need to stop the Joe show now.....
    I wouldn't bank on that as Anthony Cunigham will surly have something up his sleeve and Scully will be well aware of this. This should be a great game hope the weather thaws out a bit as Walsh park can be like a fridge.
    Tony Browne what can we say I think this man would go on and play for the rest of his life if he was able. Hope he doesn't regret coming back this year wouldn't it be lovely if the team won some silverware for him and for all the panel who are surprising a lot of people in and out of the county so far this season. Hope they can keep the graph in the upward curve this weekend. Looking at where they are now and how well they have done so far would have been the stuff of dreams only a few week's ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

I'll tell you what the problem is with RTE Ryle Nugent the head of the sports programming department is the problem.The man is biased towards Rugby at the expense of the GAA programming.

Nail on the head...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KevIRL wrote: »

Sure they were celebrating for at least a week, they won't be as ready for it as some of the others would be. And while the likes of David Burke, Conor Cooney, James Regan and Bernard Burke would all be welcome additions to their time I have to say the club final was poor fare (conditions didn't help of course) and I dunno would they be a bit shocked coming back into the Inter-County team at crunch team like this. The league is being played at a much higher standard than it was 2 or 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The league is being played at a much higher standard than it was 2 or 3 years ago.

I see a number of the counties were giving out about the league structure, and how thin a difference there is between the top and the bottom teams, but I think it's had the effect of making it more competitive, like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

fricatus wrote: »
    I see a number of the counties were giving out about the league structure, and how thin a difference there is between the top and the bottom teams, but I think it's had the effect of making it more competitive, like you say.
    Yep, much more exciting for supporters too. No way I would have cared league games 3 or 4 years ago, mad for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

solarith wrote: »
    Yep, much more exciting for supporters too. No way I would have cared league games 3 or 4 years ago, mad for them now.

I can see an argument to increase to 7, to stop yo-yoing but no reason to change it until it happens.

Hopefully with all the teams having the same preparations we will see some open championships in the next 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Very solid, looking forward to this now ,as start of season saying 1- 9 were solid ,I think we can extend to 11 or even 12 now

1. Ian O’Regan Mount Sion
    2. Shane Fives Carrigtwohill
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Michael Walsh Stradbally
    7 Darragh Fives Tourin
    8. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    9. Kevin Moran (CAPT.) De La Salle
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    12. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    13 Ray Barry Lismore
    14. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    15. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

ray barry?? and in the corner, he surely wont start there. no paidi prendergast, whats scully thinking at all.

ray barry?? and in the corner, he surely wont start there. no paidi prendergast, whats scully thinking at all.

hes getting his chance. barron got his last week and it worked out so lets just see how it goes. plenty of options on the bench anyway

robopaddy wrote: »
    hes getting his chance. barron got his last week and it worked out so lets just see how it goes. plenty of options on the bench anyway

hes not a corner forward, half back, midfield, half forward or maybe he'll come out as a 3rd midfielder, leave space inside, cant see him staying in the corner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I'd say seamus will go full forward, ray barry on the wing and maurice centre forward. Darragh fives is a better hurler than paudi anyway he should be starting come championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hes not a corner forward, half back, midfield, half forward or maybe he'll come out as a 3rd midfielder, leave space inside, cant see him staying in the corner though.

I take it you did not see the Lismore Vs De La Salle game last year. He and Dan Shanahan played a two man full forward line and Lismore came within a whisker of beating De La Salle. Shanahan hit the side netting in the first half when it looked a goal was on. De La Salle needed a late point to win the game. Lismore played without three or four players than day including Maurice Shanahan who was suspended.

Black Suir wrote: »
    I take it you did not see the Lismore Vs De La Salle game last year. He and Dan Shanahan played a two man full forward line and Lismore came within a whisker of beating De La Salle. Shanahan hit the side netting in the first half when it looked a goal was on. De La Salle needed a late point to win the game. Lismore played without three or four players than day including Maurice Shanahan who was suspended.

no, i didnt see that game any time ive seen him hes been out the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Personally I think it's great to see another young lad gaining some vital experience. I was at the Lismore De La Salle game last year and Ray was hugely impressive. What this also indicates to me is that we haven't settled on our front six, I think there is a spot up for grabs come Championship.

Would have to disagree with a previous poster who said we are short cover at half back...think we have plenty of options back there and Tony will only add to those if he comes back. With the possible exception of Noel and SOK coming back in I don't foresee a lot of change in positions 1-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

How could you be short for half-backs, can't Daniels and Shane Fives play there fine as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I personally wouldn't have Noelie Connors in my starting 15 for championship at the moment.
    I think Daniels has the left corner to himself already, every game he's played so far he has been progressing into a top player he did lose possession twice in Tipp game and it resulted in 2 scores on the board for them, but he more than made up for it in rest of the game, very calm under pressure and good at picking a pass rather then just striking downfield for the sake of it.I think it's only the right corner up for grabs, I have been very impressed with Shane Fives A player I never got to see much of tbh until this year and last week against Tipp I really thought he had a great game as did all our backs and when he went off as blood sub I couldn't wait to get him back on. The full back line is for once looking like a solid line of defence so based on what i have seen so far I'd leave it alone, if its not broke don't fix it but Sunday will be a real test for them Big Joe, Damien Hayes an co. certainly know where the goal is so I'm hoping I haven't put the curse of the commentator on them now.

Regarding the Paul Flynn documentary on Laochra Gael which is repeated on TG4 Sunday before GAA BEO, at the very end he said that in 2004 the Waterford team met wit Sean Kelly and he said a simple little sentence "someday,somewhere it will all be worth it " powerful stuff lads much better than dont stop believing anyway..

I found this clip on YouTube and I had to post it here, I dunno who the little lad is but 3 yrs old and a some striking in fairness,

http://youtu.be/5vIKJr6tHM0

Orizio wrote: »
    How could you be short for half-backs, can't Daniels and Shane Fives play there fine as well?

And then we'd be short of corner backs, now wouldn't we?

• Advertisement

no, i didnt see that game any time ive seen him hes been out the field

well howd u know hes not a corner forward then

robopaddy wrote: »
    well howd u know hes not a corner forward then

from what ive seen of him...obviously there was that 1 game v dls last year that everybody else has seen that i didnt see which people here are judging him as a corner forward on, so that makes him a corner forward i suppose. so i take it back, hes an out and out corner forward.

does that make you happy?

I hope whatever position any player is given tomorrow will be a comfortable one for them. This team and management have proven the doubts I had at the start of the league so far to be unfounded as I see before me boys growing into men with the guidance of a manager that I am really beginning to believe in. We may not win I don't really know as Galway are coming down with real intent and they do have hurler's of real class. For no real reason I think other than being a supporter we have a great chance of a victory tomorrow. Its hard to believe Noel Conner's will have a fight on his hand's to regain his corner back position but looking at the two lads in the corners they have a real touch of class about them and I have to agree it would be tough on any of them to be dropped to the bench when they have done so well in every game they have played. I regret being so critical of Steven O'Keefe as he is so young and I am sure he was one of his own worst critics after the Kilkenny game. The point he got that day was worth the admission price alone and he will only grow and learn as all good players do. Here's to a great game that everybody enjoy's and just maybe we will still be top of the table tomorrow evening and somebody up there turn the heating back on as Walsh can be one cold spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to The Friary lads today that captured the AI Football schools title

And then we'd be short of corner backs, now wouldn't we?

No? You have Connors.

No? You have Connors.

Right. And supposing he got injured again or somebody else did? If Tony didn't come back I wouldn't fancy the other options we have. Shane Kearney is a good hurler but has no experience at this level, he'd be the best of the rest.

Right. And supposing he got injured again or somebody else did? If Tony didn't come back I wouldn't fancy the other options we have. Shane Kearney is a good hurler but has no experience at this level, he'd be the best of the rest.

I'd imagine every other hurling fan in Munster would like to be in the position of having Noel Connors as back up. You have the best 2-9 outside of Kilkenny in the country as far as I am concerned, so no need to be so glum. ;)

I'd imagine every other hurling fan in Munster would like to be in the position of having Noel Connors as back up. You have the best 2-9 outside of Kilkenny in the country as far as I am concerned, so no need to be so glum. ;)

I'm not at all, delighted with how things are going. I would be surprised if Noel Connors is back up though, far more likely 1 between Nagle, Daniels and Shane Fives. Just saying we could be in trouble if we'd a few injuries. God knows what would be happening if we'd Kilkenny's injuries, though it's very much the same for everyone outside of Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

Well done to all in St Augustines on their historic win. They did it the hard way comming from 4 points down in the last 10 min to win by 4. What a great day for them all. Especially glad for Ger Walsh of Kilrossanty fame who has kept the football flay flying in the Friary. Lovely tribute paid to him by Captain Brian Looby at the presentation.

• Advertisement

Well done to all in St Augustines on their historic win. They did it the hard way comming from 4 points down in the last 10 min to win by 4. What a great day for them all. Especially glad for Ger Walsh of Kilrossanty fame who has kept the football flay flying in the Friary. Lovely tribute paid to him by Captain Brian Looby at the presentation.
    skaface wrote: »
    Well done to The Friary lads today that captured the AI Football schools title
    Can't believe I forgot all about this game I'm delighted for the Friary. Historic times for Dungarvan these bunch of lads are unbelievable, hope the combined schools can win The Croke Cup next week. So well done and all the best for the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement