Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Living and working in Galway I couldn't help but ask the locals who of Cork and Waterford they would rather play.

So far most people I talk to think Cork will beat us. They would all rather play Cork than us though at the same time because of our record against them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Any word on an U21 team for Thursday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

It must feel great to be a smart arse Goodbye from me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

deisedude wrote: »
    Living and working in Galway I couldn't help but ask the locals who of Cork and Waterford they would rather play.

So far most people I talk to think Cork will beat us. They would all rather play Cork than us though at the same time because of our record against them
    I've never seen a group of supporters more traumatised (I've never looked in the mirror) than the Galway supporters were after we had stolen the game from under their noses in 2009. They were convinced they'd beat Kilkenny based on their record against the Cats - and it is that same sense of belief, confirmed by the Leinster final, that makes them simultaneously dread the thought of playing us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

deiseach wrote: »
    I've never seen a group of supporters more traumatised (I've never looked in the mirror) than the Galway supporters were after we had stolen the game from under their noses in 2009. They were convinced they'd beat Kilkenny based on their record against the Cats - and it is that same sense of belief, confirmed by the Leinster final, that makes them simultaneously dread the thought of playing us :D

I remember my dad said to me jokingly walking out of Semple that "Kilkenny will be quacking in their boots" and there was a traumatised Galway fan walking next to us who's head shot around in anger, he really wanted to hit him!

The funny thing is that Galways record against Kilkenny is actually crap, they just seem to beat them more than the rest of us so fair play to them I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

To all you smokers, I hope you think twice before lighting up in Walsh Park from now on. It seems that some people have nothing better to do than to ring Billy McCarthy giving out about a referee that had a smoke in a recent under 14 game there. I had to check the dial and the time to make sure that Billy had not left WLR and taken up presenting Whine-line after the 1pm news on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What do you mean he had a smoke in the game? While play was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

That would be hilarious, but God I hope not.

solarith wrote: »
    That would be hilarious, but God I hope not.

If it was then he's a moron and deserves to be called out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

If it was then he's a moron and deserves to be called out on it
    If it was before/half time/full time and he was off the pitch, fine. All else unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

my team for the QF

1 S O Keefe

2 N Connors
    3 L Lawlor
    4 D Fives (if fit)

5 T Browne
    6 M Walsh
    7 Philip Mahony

8 K Moran
    9 S Molumphy

10 Paudie Mahony (Free taker)
    11 S Prendergast
    12 M Shanahan

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 E Kelly

Cork still have players the Likes of Sean Og O Hailpin, John Gardiner, Tom Kenny, Niall Mccarthy and others and they will relish this opportunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Was at half time, and maybe coming out onto the field before the game.

I once saw a better one. I was at a primary schools game. A member of staff in one of the schools playing was the ref. During the first half, his phone rang and he answered it and was talking away while following the game up and down the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Any word on an U21 team for Thursday night?

Its being announced tonight after training in the Fraher Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Well, we lost the Munster Final, but still have an All Ireland quarter final to look forward to. The manner of the game was encouraging, and for the observer it was an open, well contested contest for 60 minutes or so.

As a contest, Tipp were good for the win, although on the day if a few things had to go differently for us, I think we would have run them a lot tighter.

Maurices wides were uncharacteristic, although his shortsightedness/ selfishness in possession was not. Seamus had a great game, but was poorly supported, forcing him into taking shots as there were no players available for a pass. Lastly, Shane Walsh seemed as if he wasn't 100% fit, and thus we lacked someone to get onto the end of some great, fast, low ball into the inside forwards and threaten for goal.

We can learn from the above for the next day, and it would be unfair to say any of the above cost us the game, as Tipp were good value for their win, and am sure will feel they had room for improvement as well.

Overall for us, I think there were a lot of positives out of Sunday's performance for us. I liked the ambitious, positive way we set out our stall, sending in low, fast, direct ball with the intention of opening Tipp up. The goals did not come for us, but will another day.

Smart use of possession was once again great to see, with players taking time, and using their awareness to deliver quality ball to teammates, in place of the aimless ball we have seen in the past.

Once again, we saw a very positive use of the bench, with management not hesitating to make changes, bring on fresh legs, or give game time to others. This all bodes very well, and the exposure to fresh faces will all yield dividends, especially with our younger/ inexperienced panellists.

There were a number of standout individuals once again, but equally as important, many of these individuals were in central positions, and the spine of our team now has a very strong look to it.

The more I see of Stephen O'Keefe, the more I feel we have a very solid no. 1, for the foreseeable future. While there were perhaps aspects of his game he will not be happy with yesterday, overall her had a good game, and one that will bring him on I feel. A strong presence between the posts, with strong puckouts give us a great platform to build on, and we know what a great shotstopper Stephen can be too.

Liam Lawlor cut a cool picture of calmness in front of the square, and felt he looked a real full back, something we have not had for a long time now. We have long needed a no.3, and it looks we have found him, as long as he remains fit and injury-free.

Tony had a great game, at least in his first half when he was directly responsible for his much younger marker getting the crooked finger, when he could get no change out of Tony. Tactically the switch of Corbett onto Browne in the second half probably took the steam out of Tony, but that I feel is perhaps something for the line to look at, and see whether they might not have been better to let Moran follow Corbett.

Moran had an immense game, simply no other words for it, and on a different day may even had a few points to his name too. He is growing more and more into one of the real stalwarts of this team, and no longer the player some might have mixed opinions about. Given the chance to settle, and not be moved all over the place, Moran has proved imperious either at midfield, or wing back, and a real powerhouse. Kept Corbett quite for the first half, and overall turned in a man of the match display.

Molumphy had another irrepressible game at midfield, and back to his best, in my opinion. Too often we saw him under Davy, win the ball and take it into blind alleys. No more, we are now seeing again what we all appreciated in Molumphy's play, and the qualities that make him an enviable player to have on any team.

Seamus Prendergast had another powerful game, and one wonders whether it is a return to form, a focussed remit, or a combination of both that have seen the immenses performances we have seen from Seamus at centreforward. Shot four bad wides on the day, but to be honest, feel he was badly supported by his forwards, and had no option but to go for his own score on most of those occasions. Will be very happy to see Seamus win and offload ball for the rest of our season, and to be honest, am mostly worried about what we will do without him, should he retire at the end of the season.

Honourable mention for Paul O'Brien, who I thought looked very lively when brought on, even if not making an impact on the scoreboard. Should press hard for a place at half forward perhaps the next day.

Well, those were the standout performances for me. A lot of others put in very good performances, and was happy with the team performance overall. Onward to the Cork game now!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

Well, we lost the Munster Final, but still have an All Ireland quarter final to look forward to. The manner of the game was encouraging, and for the observer it was an open, well contested contest for 60 minutes or so.

As a contest, Tipp were good for the win, although on the day if a few things had to go differently for us, I think we would have run them a lot tighter.

Maurices wides were uncharacteristic, although his shortsightedness/ selfishness in possession was not. Seamus had a great game, but was poorly supported, forcing him into taking shots as there were no players available for a pass. Lastly, Shane Walsh seemed as if he wasn't 100% fit, and thus we lacked someone to get onto the end of some great, fast, low ball into the inside forwards and threaten for goal.

We can learn from the above for the next day, and it would be unfair to say any of the above cost us the game, as Tipp were good value for their win, and am sure will feel they had room for improvement as well.

Overall for us, I think there were a lot of positives out of Sunday's performance for us. I liked the ambitious, positive way we set out our stall, sending in low, fast, direct ball with the intention of opening Tipp up. The goals did not come for us, but will another day.

Smart use of possession was once again great to see, with players taking time, and using their awareness to deliver quality ball to teammates, in place of the aimless ball we have seen in the past.

Once again, we saw a very positive use of the bench, with management not hesitating to make changes, bring on fresh legs, or give game time to others. This all bodes very well, and the exposure to fresh faces will all yield dividends, especially with our younger/ inexperienced panellists.

There were a number of standout individuals once again, but equally as important, many of these individuals were in central positions, and the spine of our team now has a very strong look to it.

The more I see of Stephen O'Keefe, the more I feel we have a very solid no. 1, for the foreseeable future. While there were perhaps aspects of his game he will not be happy with yesterday, overall her had a good game, and one that will bring him on I feel. A strong presence between the posts, with strong puckouts give us a great platform to build on, and we know what a great shotstopper Stephen can be too.

Liam Lawlor cut a cool picture of calmness in front of the square, and felt he looked a real full back, something we have not had for a long time now. We have long needed a no.3, and it looks we have found him, as long as he remains fit and injury-free.

Tony had a great game, at least in his first half when he was directly responsible for his much younger marker getting the crooked finger, when he could get no change out of Tony. Tactically the switch of Corbett onto Browne in the second half probably took the steam out of Tony, but that I feel is perhaps something for the line to look at, and see whether they might not have been better to let Moran follow Corbett.

Moran had an immense game, simply no other words for it, and on a different day may even had a few points to his name too. He is growing more and more into one of the real stalwarts of this team, and no longer the player some might have mixed opinions about. Given the chance to settle, and not be moved all over the place, Moran has proved imperious either at midfield, or wing back, and a real powerhouse. Kept Corbett quite for the first half, and overall turned in a man of the match display.

Molumphy had another irrepressible game at midfield, and back to his best, in my opinion. Too often we saw him under Davy, win the ball and take it into blind alleys. No more, we are now seeing again what we all appreciated in Molumphy's play, and the qualities that make him an enviable player to have on any team.

Seamus Prendergast had another powerful game, and one wonders whether it is a return to form, a focussed remit, or a combination of both that have seen the immenses performances we have seen from Seamus at centreforward. Shot four bad wides on the day, but to be honest, feel he was badly supported by his forwards, and had no option but to go for his own score on most of those occasions. Will be very happy to see Seamus win and offload ball for the rest of our season, and to be honest, am mostly worried about what we will do without him, should he retire at the end of the season.

Honourable mention for Paul O'Brien, who I thought looked very lively when brought on, even if not making an impact on the scoreboard. Should press hard for a place at half forward perhaps the next day.

Well, those were the standout performances for me. A lot of others put in very good performances, and was happy with the team performance overall. Onward to the Cork game now!

I have to disagree with your final point regarding Paul O'Brien, I don't think he's up to this standard at all. Fair enough he won a couple of crucial frees against Clare but I just don't think he offers any sort of scoring theat, but perhaps it could be argued that he's worth 2 or 3 points to the team from frees.....not if Maurice keeps missing them though :)

He didnt do much wrong in terms of defense but his clearances were absolutely atrocious and infuriating. I can't remember once strong ball up the field. They were all shortish hanging balls or small taps to the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Optimist eternal

What an excellent review of the team's display. well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-features/three-things-we-learned-from-the-gaa-this-weekend-19-0026914-1

Right, he missed a couple of frees, and at hurling’s top level missed frees are generally punished mercilessly. But Maurice Shanahan looks to be about much more than placed balls. In fact, we suspect he could benefit from having that particular responsibility given to someone else – Pauric Mahony, maybe, who responds well to the pressure.
    Physically Maurice looks to have progressed seriously over the past 12 months or so, and there should be plenty more improvement to come. At times he took wrong options against Tipp but on another day he could have had three goals. His now retired brother Dan took a few years before hitting his peak, and when the peak came it resulted in a glorious torrent of goals. Young Maurice, who is just 22 this year, could be just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-features/three-things-we-learned-from-the-gaa-this-weekend-19-0026914-1

Right, he missed a couple of frees, and at hurling’s top level missed frees are generally punished mercilessly. But Maurice Shanahan looks to be about much more than placed balls. In fact, we suspect he could benefit from having that particular responsibility given to someone else – Pauric Mahony, maybe, who responds well to the pressure.
    Physically Maurice looks to have progressed seriously over the past 12 months or so, and there should be plenty more improvement to come. At times he took wrong options against Tipp but on another day he could have had three goals. His now retired brother Dan took a few years before hitting his peak, and when the peak came it resulted in a glorious torrent of goals. Young Maurice, who is just 22 this year, could be just as good.

He's a different kind of player I think.

Definetly think he doesn't deserve the unreserved criticism he has gotten from some quarters about his free taking, it was a big responsibility shipped on to his shoulders, and he hasn't really taken frees for Waterford the last few years. They tried Foley, than Mahony came in. Martin O'Neill was even taking them in the pre season. I liked that he ran at players, Seamus probably doesn't have the legs for that anymore, and nobody else even tried it. He's having a good year and I expect a good performance against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

I do not think he is a bad free taker,i think he is excellent in fact,but we have other free takers,we dont have others to run on goal like him

better too loosenthose ties so he can fous on the field, mahony or kelly to cover ,once his focus is in one place,he can nothing but succeed

• Advertisement

Waterford u21 team to play Clare

1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    3. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    4. Mark Wyse Passage
    5. Ray Barry Lismore
    6. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    7. Eoin Madigan De La Salle
    8. Padraig Prendergast Lismore
    9. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    10. Gavin O’Brien Roanmore
    11. Eamonn Murphy Dunhill
    12. Martin O’Neill Mount Sion
    13. Fionán Murray Cappoquin
    14. Pauric Mahony (Capt) Ballygunner
    15. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

Darragh Fives obviously didnt make it

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

4. Mark Wyse Passage
    5. Ray Barry Lismore

Looks a strong team pity Darragh didn't make it. Clare will be favourite's for this one hope we can prove that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

4. Mark Wyse Passage
    5. Ray Barry Lismore

Seems a strong enough team. Hopefully the lads will be recovered enough from sunday. Has the makings of a cracker up there.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Looks a strong team pity Darragh didn't make it. Clare will be favourite's for this one hope we can prove that wrong.

Fives is a massive loss and Our fullbackline is a bit suspect. Our half back line strong alright, but a bit lightweight from number 8 up. All classy hurlers individually but lacking a bit of physical power like you need in any team. I thought either Paul Power or Ronan Cahill might get the nod. I just hope we have enough to put it up to a very good Clare team

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

Fives is a massive loss and Our fullbackline is a bit suspect. Our half back line strong alright, but a bit lightweight from number 8 up. All classy hurlers individually but lacking a bit of physical power like you need in any team. I thought either Paul Power or Ronan Cahill might get the nod. I just hope we have enough to put it up to a very good Clare team

ronan cahill and paul power are u for real theres 30 hurlers ahead of them at least in my opinion.. what has finan murray done to justify his inclusion in this team he was awful against clare in thurles in intermediate .. plus jamie barron has been the outstanding corner forward in the club championship this year yet hes playin corner back typical waterford crap management whos in charge of this hartley is suppose ...seems to me like peopla are just picked on reputatiuon at minor level a few years back for this team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Disappointed Fives didn't make it, thought he would have. Still a good team though. Full back line is a bit light, would prefer to see Barron in the forwards as he's a bit wasted in corner back.
    Jake Dillon surely won't play midfield, I'd say he'll swap with Gavin O'Brien or Martin O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jerryhedge

i was just reading some post's on the langers website. peoples republic of cork.

they seem to think we are going to be a walk over. and have dreams of the all ireland final already..

i am very confident we will beat them f**kers. cocky isn't the word for a team who hasn't won anything since 2006.

( here is a Quote. just to give ye an idea of what they think of us........... )

( the aim was a semifinal and be competitve.

Thats very achievable but we get to a semifinal while galway have a great record against us in semifinals like 79 and 85 we have beaten galway before and would fancy us.

Its not like there an expierenced team either.
    They havent been in a final since 2005and a semifinal since then also.

Unlike 79 and 85in the rain when jbm got a splendid goal this time cork are waiting to do the ambush.

Cork were huge favourites and all ireland champs in both.

Galway got cork cold.

This time galway be huge favourites.perefect place to be foe cork.
    Let them believe their hype.

Cork havent impressed yet which is ideal for cork.
    Corks best days are to come.
    Waterfords best days are long gone for that old and tired them tarnished by dreams of what might have been.
    There like a pancake that got tossed and tur ed too many times,thats been overcooked and all the sweetness has been dried out if them making them flat and stale.)

we should put that up on the dressing room wall for the lads....

here is the link if ye want to have a browse

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143238&page=3935

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

LOL, that's some load of crap! :D

Cork will not go easy, but anyone who thinks they're "huge favourites" is an idiot. Watch the Munster final again and you'll see that with 20 minutes to go, it was anyone's game. Had Brendan Maher not got a free from that dive, or had SOK not made that mistake*, then we would have gone into the last 15 minutes only about 3 points down - against a team that most are Tipp-ing** for the All-Ireland. Anything could have happened.

And not every team has a Brendan Cummins, remember!

Anyway, I don't care. We should just keep the head down and let them blab away. They'll trip up on their own hubris. If the lads play like they did on Sunday, they'll beat Cork, and Galway. Remember all the preparation they had before Tipp was the league, and then Clare. There's nothing to improve a team like a hard match. Let's just hope they're only getting started!

* Can't be too hard on him though... he was superb otherwise!
    ** I know, I know, I'll get my coat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

He didnt do much wrong in terms of defense but his clearances were absolutely atrocious and infuriating. I can't remember once strong ball up the field. They were all shortish hanging balls or small taps to the half back line.

Yea he needs to work on his clearances better. When he has time to hit the ball he should drive it as far as possible up the field rather than short pass to someone in front of him and ending up in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

jerryhedge wrote: »
    i was just reading some post's on the langers website. peoples republic of cork.

they seem to think we are going to be a walk over. and have dreams of the all ireland final already..

i am very confident we will beat them f**kers. cocky isn't the word for a team who hasn't won anything since 2006.

( here is a Quote. just to give ye an idea of what they think of us........... )

( the aim was a semifinal and be competitve.

Thats very achievable but we get to a semifinal while galway have a great record against us in semifinals like 79 and 85 we have beaten galway before and would fancy us.

Its not like there an expierenced team either.
    They havent been in a final since 2005and a semifinal since then also.

Unlike 79 and 85in the rain when jbm got a splendid goal this time cork are waiting to do the ambush.

Cork were huge favourites and all ireland champs in both.

Galway got cork cold.

This time galway be huge favourites.perefect place to be foe cork.
    Let them believe their hype.

Cork havent impressed yet which is ideal for cork.
    Corks best days are to come.
    Waterfords best days are long gone for that old and tired them tarnished by dreams of what might have been.
    There like a pancake that got tossed and tur ed too many times,thats been overcooked and all the sweetness has been dried out if them making them flat and stale.)

we should put that up on the dressing room wall for the lads....

here is the link if ye want to have a browse

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143238&page=3935

Interesting "first post"...after 2 years:eek:

Opinions are like arsehóles.....

Most Cork fans I speak to think this is a winnable match whereas kk probably wouldn't have been. I'm happy we got Waterford. I think it will be a close game and we are capable of going through - can't ask much more given the alternative really. I've yet to speak to someone who thinks it will be a walkover though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement