Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cork aren't dirty, please let us not get bogged down in childishness.

I'd say there fierce jealous of Eoin Cadogan's football medals alright. Think he might be better suited to sticking with the football at this stage, give the way he was destroyed by Bonner Maher. I know Bonner Maher made a goal against us, but I think Brick limited his influence pretty well. Brick is also a better footballer than Cadogan, just sayin!

How you can say this board held you back, when specifically the biggeest problem is Frank Murphy apparently, and yet how many all-irelands have they won under his stewardship? Just looking for somebody else to blame. The board is still there by the way, so I dunno what's changed.

We also had our worst manager since 1997 the last few years, and in that time we had Gerald Mc who was better than Fitzgerald.

John Mullane never has too much bother playing Cork and has 4-24 in 11 games against them, and if yer marking is as loose as it was against Wexford he'll improve that tally further.

Was watching GAA in the 70s last night, and the jumping around Cork players did after the goal was excessive. But I doubt the papers wrote about how they tarnished the image of the game. Because they didn't. Nor does Mullane, exact same thing just it sickens you to know that he's scored and it also sickens you that he (as much as you celebrating Cork score) is allowed celebrate. I don't care much for Eoin Kelly's behaviour, but he won't start. It's like me giving out about Sean Og's whinging, completely irrelevant to the game.

Have the height of respect for Luke O'Farrell and Conor Lehane, but don't Tony would fear Niall McCarthy and Pa Cronin is made for Brick. Sweetnam is good, but he wasn't very prominent against Tipp. McLoughlin was but I think we can match ye there.

I think Egan is a quality player but apparently he's off form, and might be dropped for one of Gardiner or Sean Og. I think JBM will try and avoid it because they're both past it. Tom Kenny is another one who's oushing it to be honest. The fact that ye don't have a settled full back line has got to be a worry. Murphy and O'Neill are good players but their more natural corner backs, and if one of them fills in full back it means you need to find another corner back and Cahalane is still a bit green.

Should be a tight game, an enjoyable game, and there really is no need for all this bravado horse sh*te.

This Cork team will be in a very strong place come the end of JBM'S three year term.Let's be honest here while Waterford have been the third best team in the country over the last few years they have never threatened the big two.That's why i see this as a big game Waterford are a good team but their beatable.A win here and it will be a decent enough year and you could say that Cork have made progress.I would expect the defence to tighten up and i also think that we have a stronger bench and a more varied selection of scoring forwards so on that basis i think Cork will win.btw I see Jerrys inferiority complex is coming through with his lets beat the langers talk!If we win this i won't be celebrating like it's our all ireland i will be expecting us to drive on and reach the final.Whoever wins this will beat Galway.I think their very vulnerable and as we all know Galway are very bad favourites.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Can anyone tell me why Jamie Barron is picked as a back instead of forward for the 21's tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

This Cork team will be in a very strong place come the end of JBM'S three year term.Let's be honest here while Waterford have been the third best team in the country over the last few years they have never threatened the big two.That's why i see this as a big game Waterford are a good team but their beatable.A win here and it will be a decent enough year and you could say that Cork have made progress.I would expect the defence to tighten up and i also think that we have a stronger bench and a more varied selection of scoring forwards so on that basis i think Cork will win.btw I see Jerrys inferiority complex is coming through with his lets beat the langers talk!If we win this i won't be celebrating like it's our all ireland i will be expecting us to drive on and reach the final.Whoever wins this will beat Galway.I think their very vulnerable and as we all know Galway are very bad favourites.

Ok, and is that supposed to win ye the match on Sunday week?

Cork are also a good team, and also beatable.

I would expect us not be as wasteful the next day, doesn't mean it will happen. To be honest, your centre back should be the pillar from which the rest of the team builds and I'm not convinced Cadogan has sufficient quality to assume that role. I also think running at Tom Kenny, like Maurice did against Tipp, would create a lot of space inside and the potential for an over lap. If William Egan doesn't improve than you have a really suspect half backline, and that makes it difficult for any full back line. If your not winning enough ball in your own half backline than it doesn't matter how good your forwards are, they won't get the ball.

The pace of Lehane, the guile of Luke O'Farrell and the sheer quality that has been Horgan this season will take a lot of watching, no doubt but there is more to it than simply having a man for man better forward line.

thesultan wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why Jamie Barron is picked as a back instead of forward for the 21's tonight?

I guess they feel he is needed more in defense than attack. He's showed up well there in the last two years at underage. I reckon that he'll be playing as a forward with Waterford in the near future though.

Ok, and is that supposed to win ye the match on Sunday week?

Cork are also a good team, and also beatable.

I would expect us not be as wasteful the next day, doesn't mean it will happen. To be honest, your centre back should be the pillar from which the rest of the team builds and I'm not convinced Cadogan has sufficient quality to assume that role. I also think running at Tom Kenny, like Maurice did against Tipp, would create a lot of space inside and the potential for an over lap. If William Egan doesn't improve than you have a really suspect half backline, and that makes it difficult for any full back line. If your not winning enough ball in your own half backline than it doesn't matter how good your forwards are, they won't get the ball.

The pace of Lehane, the guile of Luke O'Farrell and the sheer quality that has been Horgan this season will take a lot of watching, no doubt but there is more to it than simply having a man for man better forward line.

The halfback line needs to be looked at alright but im confident that the intensity will be upped from now on.I also reckon all Cads needs to do is brush up on his hurling skills but he will have to choose either the hurling or the football at the end of the year.He needs to focus completely on his hurling for the next two weeks.I reckon we have a better bench too guys like Darren Sweetnam Daniel Kearney Jamie Coughlan Cathal Naughton and Stephen Moylan are well able to do a job and there could be a big perfromance in Gah and Sean Og.I think we have improved since the 2010 munster final while i see Waterford as being no better than they were two years ago.Hopefully it will be a great game and we certainly owe Waterford a beating.

As a fella from Clashmore/Dungarvan called Hacket found out Cork people always have the last laugh! Hacket guided the Algerian Pirtaes in to Baltimore in 1633 when they raided the place and captured loads of the natives bringing them off to North Africa, never to return. The West Corkies eventually caught up with Hackett and hanged him down a cliff.:pac: I think there is a place named 'Hackett's Rock' in West Cork.

• Advertisement

The halfback line needs to be looked at alright but im confident that the intensity will be upped from now on.I also reckon all Cads needs to do is brush up on his hurling skills but he will have to choose either the hurling or the football at the end of the year.He needs to focus completely on his hurling for the next two weeks.I reckon we have a better bench too guys like Darren Sweetnam Daniel Kearney Jamie Coughlan Cathal Naughton and Stephen Moylan are well able to do a job and there could be a big perfromance in Gah and Sean Og.I think we have imrpoved since the 2010 munster final while i see Waterford as being no better than they were two years ago.Hopefully it will be a great game and we certainly owe Waterford a beating.

As a fella from Clashmore/Dungarvan called Hacket found out Cork people always have the last laugh! Hacket guided the Algerian Pirtaes in to Baltimore in 1633 when they raided the place and captured loads of the natives bringing them off to North Africa, never to return. The West Corkies eventually caught up with Hackett and hanged him down a cliff.:pac: I think there is a place named 'Hackett's Rock' in West Cork.

Would Sweetnam not start?

If 1633 is your reference point for having the last laugh, think we're safe enough :D

Would Sweetnam not start?

If 1633 is your reference point for having the last laugh, think we're safe enough :D

I'll just copy and paste my team selection from the PROC.

Antony Nash

Shane O'Neill Damien Cahalane Brian Murphy(We may as well leave Cahalane where he is and hope for the best.I was going to opt for Conor O'Sullivan over Shane O'Neill but Damien will need 2 experienced players beside him to advise him.We have decent enough cover for this line in Conor O'Sullivan and Stephen McDonnell.)

Tom Kenny Eoin Cadogan Sean Og (Tom has been solid enough so i'd leave him where is.Cads needs to brush up on his hurling and his first touch big time though and i would start Sean Og because William Egan needs a rest.I was also thinking of going for Lorcan McLoughlin but i think there's a big game in Sean Og.We have Egan Mcloughlin and Gah as cover for this line.)

John Gardiner Pa Cronin(Cronin in midfield is a given and i would start Gah and use him as a holding midfielder.This is the serious business we need our most experienced warriors on the pitch.We have good cover on the bench in Darren Sweetnam and Daniel Kearney and Lorcan McLoughlin could also do a job if he improves his distribution.)

Conor Lehane Cian McCarthy Niall McCarthy

Luke O'Farrell Paudie O'Sullivan Pat Horgan.(Luke and Paudie should interchange with each other at regular intervals just to drive Lawlor to distraction.Cathal Naughton and Jamie Coughlan are well able to do a job as subs and Stephen Moylan showed against Offaly that he knows where the posts are.) Provided we tighten up in the backline our better forward line and stronger bench should be the decisive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think we have improved since the 2010 munster final while i see Waterford as being no better than they were two years ago.

Waterford are infinitely better than they were two years ago tbh, better manager, better Goalkeeper, Liam Lawlor has improved alot, Prendergast and Kevin Moran have switched positions which has suited both players , Molumpy was terrible in the corner and is playing well in MF, also Maurice Shanahan and Padraic O'Mahony are streets ahead of Eoin McGrath and Eoin Kelly.

Waterford are infinitely better than they were two years ago tbh, better manager, better Goalkeeper, Liam Lawlor has improved alot, Prendergast and Kevin Moran have switched positions which has suited both players , Molumpy was terrible in the corner and is playing well in MF, also Maurice Shanahan and Padraic O'Mahony are streets ahead of Eoin McGrath and Eoin Kelly.

Read this and come back to me!

Im going to stop the ball hoping for a minute and just call this one.Waterford since they made their breakthrough in 98 have contributed a lot to hurling.They seem to be hurlings version of marmite their either peoples second favourite team but to contradict this a lot of people can't stand them.To be honest i can't stand the carry on of the likes of Mullane and Kelly will those two clowns ever cop on.Waterford peaks years were from 98-07.imo A lack of a decent fullback,a lack of composure and a lack of a focused and professional attitude cost them at least 1 all ireland.In the post 07 era they have been the third best team in the country but they have never threatened the big two of Kilkenny and Tipp in that time.So this is a big game for us if we beat Waterford we can call the year a success and say progress has been achieved.If we lose then we can't call the year a success.Waterford are a decent team but they not all ireland contenders.imo Losing this game is not an option.In the next paragraph im going to analyse Waterfords most likely starting 15.

Waterford have a rookie goalie in Stephen O'Keefe.In their fullback line i think Stephen Daniels and Liam Lawlor can be taken to the cleaners.Noel Connors is a fine corner back but he's only recently back from injury.In the half back line Tony Browne while Tony was a great player father time has caught up with him.Put Conor Lehane on him and then with 20 minutes to go put Cathal Naughton on him.It's is crucial that we shut Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran down.Brick is the glue that holds the Waterford defence together while Kevin Moran is a very underrated player who can also do a job in midfield.If we can break the Waterford half backline then were halfway there.To the midfield we also need to shut down Stephen Molumphy.Stephen is a hard worker,he's very effective at breaking up opposition attacks,winning ball and distributing it to the forwards and he's also capable of chipping in with a point or two.If we also shut down Molumphy as well as The Brick and Kevin Moran then we will have the Waterford halfback line and midfield neutralised.Phillip Mahony is their other midfielder but i don't rate him.Now to the half forward line.

Paudie Mahony is handy with the frees but he's no threat from open play.Seamus Prendergast is a workhorse but that's all.He offers no scoring threat although we need to make sure that he doesn't win ball.(As well as shutting down The Brick Moran and Molumphy if we can also stop Prendergast winning ball then the ship willl really start getting holed below the water line.) While Maurice Shanahan is just an average player.To the full forward line.

Love him or hate him John Mullane is a class forward.He's waterfords only scoring threat and i fancy his old friend Brian Murphy to put him out of commission.(With the Brick Moran Molumphy Prendergast and Mullane shut down we will have neutralised all of Waterfords main men.At this stage we will have sunk Waterfords battle ship.) Shane Walsh though is very underrated and he is a goal threat so we need to make sure Shane doesn't score any goals.Their remaining forward Gavin O'Brien is a rookie.I don't really rate him but he needs to be watched just in case.As for the Waterford bench apart from an unfit Eoin Kelly (what a waste of talent Eoin turned out to be) they have nothing.There's no game changers on that bench,there's nothing there to worry us.

Now to ourselves we have improved immensely in the forwards and midfield this year.Our forwards are more pacier than Waterfords and we have a bigger variety of scoring options.If they get supplied with good quality ball then we should win and you can also throw in Anthony Nash's goal threat from 21 yard frees and penalties.Our defence is a huge worry we still haven't found a settled full back and centre back.All we can do at this stage is hope for the best.I trust that the backs will up their game and a huge workrate and intensity is required by every member of every line.Im hopeful that the backs will put in their best performance of the year.We have the better midfield and forwards and we have a far better bench.All in all i think that this will be competitive for 50 minutes but our more varied scoring options and our stronger bench should tell in the end.So my call Cork to win by 5-6 points.There's a real opportunity to at least claim to be the best of the rest this year.Lets' take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'll just copy and paste my team selection from the PROC.

Antony Nash

Shane O'Neill Damien Cahalane Brian Murphy(We may as well leave Cahalane where he is and hope for the best.I was going to opt for Conor O'Sullivan over Shane O'Neill but Damien will need 2 experienced players beside him to advise him.We have decent enough cover for this line in Conor O'Sullivan and Stephen McDonnell.)

Tom Kenny Eoin Cadogan Sean Og (Tom has been solid enough so i'd leave him where is.Cads needs to brush up on his hurling and his first touch big time though and i would start Sean Og because William Egan needs a rest.I was also thinking of going for Lorcan McLoughlin but i think there's a big game in Sean Og.We have Egan Mcloughlin and Gah as cover for this line.)

John Gardiner Pa Cronin(Cronin in midfield is a given and i would start Gah and use him as a holding midfielder.This is the serious business we need our most experienced warriors on the pitch.We have good cover on the bench in Darren Sweetnam and Daniel Kearney and Lorcan McLoughlin could also do a job if he improves his distribution.)

Conor Lehane Cian McCarthy Niall McCarthy

Luke O'Farrell Paudie O'Sullivan Pat Horgan.(Luke and Paudie should interchange with each other at regular intervals just to drive Lawlor to distraction.Cathal Naughton and Jamie Coughlan are well able to do a job as subs and Stephen Moylan showed against Offaly that he knows where the posts are.) Provided we tighten up in the backline our better forward line and stronger bench should be the decisive difference.

If Cork line out with that personell from 2-9 I will be all over Waterford, not a hope they will lineup like that anyway.

• Advertisement

If Cork line out with that personell from 2-9 I will be all over Waterford, not a hope they will lineup like that anyway.

Good job then that it's JBM picking the team not me.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Im going to stop the ball hoping for a minute and just call this one.Waterford since they made their breakthrough in 98 have contributed a lot to hurling.They seem to be hurlings version of marmite their either peoples second favourite team but to contradict this a lot of people can't stand them.To be honest i can't stand the carry on of the likes of Mullane and Kelly will those two clowns ever cop on.Waterford peaks years were from 98-07.imo A lack of a decent fullback,a lack of composure and a lack of a focused and professional attitude cost them at least 1 all ireland.In the post 07 era they have been the third best team in the country but they have never threatened the big two of Kilkenny and Tipp in that time.So this is a big game for us if we beat Waterford we can call the year a success and say progress has been achieved.If we lose then we can't call the year a success.Waterford are a decent team but they not all ireland contenders.imo Losing this game is not an option.In the next paragraph im going to analyse Waterfords most likely starting 15.

Waterford have a rookie goalie in Stephen O'Keefe.In their fullback line i think Stephen Daniels and Liam Lawlor can be taken to the cleaners.Noel Connors is a fine corner back but he's only recently back from injury.In the half back line Tony Browne while Tony was a great player father time has caught up with him.Put Conor Lehane on him and then with 20 minutes to go put Cathal Naughton on him.It's is crucial that we shut Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran down.Brick is the glue that holds the Waterford defence together while Kevin Moran is a very underrated player who can also do a job in midfield.If we can break the Waterford half backline then were halfway there.To the midfield we also need to shut down Stephen Molumphy.Stephen is a hard worker,he's very effective at breaking up opposition attacks,winning ball and distributing it to the forwards and he's also capable of chipping in with a point or two.If we also shut down Molumphy as well as The Brick and Kevin Moran then we will have the Waterford halfback line and midfield neutralised.Phillip Mahony is their other midfielder but i don't rate him.Now to the half forward line.

Paudie Mahony is handy with the frees but he's no threat from open play.Seamus Prendergast is a workhorse but that's all.He offers no scoring threat although we need to make sure that he doesn't win ball.(As well as shutting down The Brick Moran and Molumphy if we can also stop Prendergast winning ball then the ship willl really start getting holed below the water line.) While Maurice Shanahan is just an average player.To the full forward line.

Love him or hate him John Mullane is a class forward.He's waterfords only scoring threat and i fancy his old friend Brian Murphy to put him out of commission.(With the Brick Moran Molumphy Prendergast and Mullane shut down we will have neutralised all of Waterfords main men.At this stage we will have sunk Waterfords battle ship.) Shane Walsh though is very underrated and he is a goal threat so we need to make sure Shane doesn't score any goals.Their remaining forward Gavin O'Brien is a rookie.I don't really rate him but he needs to be watched just in case.As for the Waterford bench apart from an unfit Eoin Kelly (what a waste of talent Eoin turned out to be) they have nothing.There's no game changers on that bench,there's nothing there to worry us.

Now to ourselves we have improved immensely in the forwards and midfield this year.Our forwards are more pacier than Waterfords and we have a bigger variety of scoring options.If they get supplied with good quality ball then we should win and you can also throw in Anthony Nash's goal threat from 21 yard frees and penalties.Our defence is a huge worry we still haven't found a settled full back and centre back.All we can do at this stage is hope for the best.I trust that the backs will up their game and a huge workrate and intensity is required by every member of every line.Im hopeful that the backs will put in their best performance of the year.We have the better midfield and forwards and we have a far better bench.All in all i think that this will be competitive for 50 minutes but our more varied scoring options and our stronger bench should tell in the end.So my call Cork to win by 5-6 points.There's a real opportunity to at least claim to be the best of the rest this year.Lets' take it.

Fine hatchet job on the Waterford team. Thanks for all the wonderful insight and helping us see the things that we cant cos our our blinkered vision with regards our own team. :rolleyes:

WumBuster wrote: »
    Fine hatchet job on the Waterford team. Thanks for all the wonderful insight and helping us see the things that we cant cos our our blinkered vision with regards our own team. :rolleyes:

Just calling it as i see it like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,686 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I hope the match thread will be as entertaining as this thread has become lately!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

<Mod Note> straight talker, don't post huge paragraphs in bold. Posting all in bold is generally used by mods and its a pain to read

Mod hat off. Waterford may be an average team but I don't know where you get this impression Cork are world beaters. All you have beat are Division 2 sides and conceded quite a bit to them too I may add. Really there isn't much between Cork and Waterford and i think the game Sunday week could go either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

its safe to say the glass is very much half empty with this lad

Im going to stop the ball hoping for a minute and just call this one.Waterford since they made their breakthrough in 98 have contributed a lot to hurling.AGREE They seem to be hurlings version of marmite their either peoples second favourite team but to contradict this a lot of people can't stand them MEH, COULDNT CARE LESS IF OTHERS LIKE US OR NOT.To be honest i can't stand the carry on of the likes of Mullane and Kelly will those two clowns ever cop on YEAH THEY SHOULD STOP PLAYING WITH THEIR HEART ON THEIR SLEEVE.Waterford peaks years were from 98-07 YEAH BUT WE'VE BEEN COMPETITIVE SINCE AND HAVE BEEN BRINGING NEW PLAYERS IN EACH YEAR .imo A lack of a decent fullback,a lack of composure and a lack of a focused and professional attitude cost them at least 1 all ireland BIT UNFAIR WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE SERVICE AND DEDICATION THE LIKES OF KEN MC GRATH AND TONY BROWNE HAVE GIVEN.In the post 07 era they have been the third best team in the country but they have never threatened the big two of Kilkenny and Tipp in that time.So this is a big game for us if we beat Waterford we can call the year a success and say progress has been achieved.If we lose then we can't call the year a success.Waterford are a decent team but they not all ireland contenders WE'RE STILL IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.imo Losing this game is not an option.In the next paragraph im going to analyse Waterfords most likely starting 15.

Waterford have a rookie goalie in Stephen O'Keefe POTENTIAL TO BE OUR BEST GK EVER .In their fullback line i think Stephen Daniels and Liam Lawlor can be taken to the cleaners BY WHO?.Noel Connors is a fine corner back but he's only recently back from injury.In the half back line Tony Browne while Tony was a great player father time has caught up with him YOU DONT SAY WE ONLY PICK PLAYERS ON EMOTION DOWN HERE.Put Conor Lehane on him and then with 20 minutes to go put Cathal Naughton on him.It's is crucial that we shut Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran down.Brick is the glue that holds the Waterford defence together while Kevin Moran is a very underrated player who can also do a job in midfield.If we can break the Waterford half backline then were halfway there.To the midfield we also need to shut down Stephen Molumphy.Stephen is a hard worker,he's very effective at breaking up opposition attacks,winning ball and distributing it to the forwards and he's also capable of chipping in with a point or two.If we also shut down Molumphy as well as The Brick and Kevin Moran then we will have the Waterford halfback line and midfield neutralised.Phillip Mahony is their other midfielder but i don't rate him BIT YOUNG TO WRITE HIM OFF.Now to the half forward line.

Paudie Mahony is handy with the frees but he's no threat from open play SCORED A POINT LAST SUNDAY ONLY BACK FROM INJURY.Seamus Prendergast is a workhorse but that's all EVERY TEAM NEEDS ONE OF THEM.He offers no scoring threat BS although we need to make sure that he doesn't win ball.(As well as shutting down The Brick Moran and Molumphy if we can also stop Prendergast winning ball then the ship willl really start getting holed below the water line.) While Maurice Shanahan is just an average player BIT YOUNG TO WRITE HIM OFF.To the full forward line.

Love him or hate him John Mullane is a class forward.He's waterfords only scoring threat and i fancy his old friend Brian Murphy to put him out of commission I SUPPOSE IF HE KEEPS HIM TO A FEW POINTS HE'LL BE DOING WELL.(With the Brick Moran Molumphy Prendergast and Mullane shut down we will have neutralised all of Waterfords main men.At this stage we will have sunk Waterfords battle ship.) Shane Walsh though is very underrated and he is a goal threat so we need to make sure Shane doesn't score any goals.Their remaining forward Gavin O'Brien is a rookie.I don't really rate him BIT YOUNG TO WRITE HIM OFF but he needs to be watched just in case.As for the Waterford bench apart from an unfit Eoin Kelly (what a waste of talent Eoin turned out to be) they have nothing.There's no game changers on that bench EOIN KELLY HAS BEEN KNOWN TO CHANGE A GAME EG GOALS IN MUNSTER FINAL 2004 & 2010,there's nothing there to worry us. WHAT A LOAD OF BS

deisedude wrote: »
    <Mod Note> straight talker, don't post huge paragraphs in bold. Posting all in bold is generally used by mods and its a pain to read

Mod hat off. Waterford may be an average team but I don't know where you get this impression Cork are world beaters. All you have beat are Division 2 sides and conceded quite a bit to them too I may add. Really there isn't much between Cork and Waterford and i think the game Sunday week could go either way

It will be close but Waterford remind of a car with the gears stuck in neutral.Their neither going here or there.The engine is revving but the car isn't moving anywhere.Cork are building again after 6 years of turmoil.We finally have a decent management team in place but there is a lack of underage success not because of a lack of talent but because of politics and an agenda driven county board.Cork might not be world beaters yet but their a developing team.It's a very young team and we have a nice balance now between our remaining all ireland winners,the new players and the middle generation of players like Eoin Cadogan Pat Horgan and Shane O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

This post should be posted up on the Waterford dressing room wall. Well done Straight Talker where did you pull that name out of.

WumBuster wrote: »
    Im going to stop the ball hoping for a minute and just call this one.Waterford since they made their breakthrough in 98 have contributed a lot to hurling.AGREE They seem to be hurlings version of marmite their either peoples second favourite team but to contradict this a lot of people can't stand them MEH, COULDNT CARE LESS IF OTHERS LIKE US OR NOT.To be honest i can't stand the carry on of the likes of Mullane and Kelly will those two clowns ever cop on YEAH THEY SHOULD STOP PLAYING WITH THEIR HEART ON THEIR SLEEVE.Waterford peaks years were from 98-07 YEAH BUT WE'VE BEEN COMPETITIVE SINCE AND HAVE BEEN BRINGING NEW PLAYERS IN EACH YEAR .imo A lack of a decent fullback,a lack of composure and a lack of a focused and professional attitude cost them at least 1 all ireland BIT UNFAIR WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE SERVICE AND DEDICATION THE LIKES OF KEN MC GRATH AND TONY BROWNE HAVE GIVEN.In the post 07 era they have been the third best team in the country but they have never threatened the big two of Kilkenny and Tipp in that time.So this is a big game for us if we beat Waterford we can call the year a success and say progress has been achieved.If we lose then we can't call the year a success.Waterford are a decent team but they not all ireland contenders WE'RE STILL IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.imo Losing this game is not an option.In the next paragraph im going to analyse Waterfords most likely starting 15.

Waterford have a rookie goalie in Stephen O'Keefe POTENTIAL TO BE OUR BEST GK EVER .In their fullback line i think Stephen Daniels and Liam Lawlor can be taken to the cleaners BY WHO?.Noel Connors is a fine corner back but he's only recently back from injury.In the half back line Tony Browne while Tony was a great player father time has caught up with him YOU DONT SAY WE ONLY PICK PLAYERS ON EMOTION DOWN HERE.Put Conor Lehane on him and then with 20 minutes to go put Cathal Naughton on him.It's is crucial that we shut Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran down.Brick is the glue that holds the Waterford defence together while Kevin Moran is a very underrated player who can also do a job in midfield.If we can break the Waterford half backline then were halfway there.To the midfield we also need to shut down Stephen Molumphy.Stephen is a hard worker,he's very effective at breaking up opposition attacks,winning ball and distributing it to the forwards and he's also capable of chipping in with a point or two.If we also shut down Molumphy as well as The Brick and Kevin Moran then we will have the Waterford halfback line and midfield neutralised.Phillip Mahony is their other midfielder but i don't rate him BIT YOUNG TO WRITE HIM OFF.Now to the half forward line.

Paudie Mahony is handy with the frees but he's no threat from open play SCORED A POINT LAST SUNDAY ONLY BACK FROM INJURY.Seamus Prendergast is a workhorse but that's all EVERY TEAM NEEDS ONE OF THEM.He offers no scoring threat BS although we need to make sure that he doesn't win ball.(As well as shutting down The Brick Moran and Molumphy if we can also stop Prendergast winning ball then the ship willl really start getting holed below the water line.) While Maurice Shanahan is just an average player BIT YOUNG TO WRITE HIM OFF.To the full forward line.

Love him or hate him John Mullane is a class forward.He's waterfords only scoring threat and i fancy his old friend Brian Murphy to put him out of commission I SUPPOSE IF HE KEEPS HIM TO A FEW POINTS HE'LL BE DOING WELL.(With the Brick Moran Molumphy Prendergast and Mullane shut down we will have neutralised all of Waterfords main men.At this stage we will have sunk Waterfords battle ship.) Shane Walsh though is very underrated and he is a goal threat so we need to make sure Shane doesn't score any goals.Their remaining forward Gavin O'Brien is a rookie.I don't really rate him BIT YOUNG TO WRITE HIM OFF but he needs to be watched just in case.As for the Waterford bench apart from an unfit Eoin Kelly (what a waste of talent Eoin turned out to be) they have nothing.There's no game changers on that bench EOIN KELLY HAS BEEN KNOWN TO CHANGE A GAME EG GOALS IN MUNSTER FINAL 2004 & 2010,there's nothing there to worry us. WHAT A LOAD OF BS

I don't mind Mullane at least he can perform when it matters but Eoin Kelly is a terrible example for younger players.He has the talent but he's unprofessional with a suspect temperment.Compare him to our Timmy Mac.Timmy wasn't the most naturally gifted forwards i admit but he had a grounded atttitude,he could handle pressure and he could always perform on the big day.Give me a Timmy Mac over an Eoin Kelly anyday!

• Advertisement

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    This post should be posted up on the Waterford dressing room wall. Well done Straight Talker where did you pull that name out of.

Ye can put up all the **** ye wan't.Ye humiliated a Cork hurling legend Justin McCarthy by dumping him in the middle of the season.I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you think of my opinion i love my county and that's that Rebels Abu and fcuk the begrudgers.:)

btw Until ye finally win an all ireland then Brian Corcoran will continue to have been proved right!

Ye can put up all the **** ye wan't.Ye humiliated a Cork hurling legend Justin McCarthy by dumping him in the middle of the season.I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you think of my opinion i love my county and that's that Rebels Abu and fcuk the begrudgers.:)

btw Until ye finally win an all ireland then Brian Corcoran will continue to have been proved right!

True spirit of Cork GAA your language is a credit to where you come from. This is a Waterford site at least try and have a bit of respect.

True spirit of Cork GAA your language is a credit to where you come from. This is a Waterford site at least try and have a bit of respect.

I guess it's called sinking to you're level.My god some of the stuff Waterford supporters have said about Sean Og and Joe Deane over the years has been despicable!

I guess it's called sinking to you're level.My god some of the stuff Waterford supporters have said about Sean Og and Joe Deane over the years has been despicable!

Interesting how Cork supporters often flash the 'Sean Og Card' or the 'Donal Og' card when engaging in online debates with opposing teams fans. Very effective for your argument.

Now were getting to the bottom of why you'd bother coming on here... obviously a chip on your shoulder. Let it all out son

I suppose next you will accuse us of shooting Michael Collins. By the way if you want my opinion on the two players mentioned Sean Og on and off the field is a credit to his county and the GAA one of the all time greats in my book. Joe Deane one hell of a nippy forward always enjoyed watching both of them play.

Now were getting to the bottom of why you'd bother coming on here... obviously a chip on your shoulder. Let it all out son

A chip on a shoulder seriously like of all the things to accuse a Cork man of having.:DWe are irelands greatest sporting and all around GAA county.We only have the weight of 121 all irelands on our shoulders!:)

I suppose next you will accuse us of shooting Michael Collins. By the way if you want my opinion on the two players mentioned Sean Og on and off the field is a credit to his county and the GAA one of the all time greats in my book. Joe Deane one hell of a nippy forward always enjoyed watching both of them play.

I was just responding to the typical Cork gaa line.All counties have their yob element and to be fair the vast majority of Waterford fans have a begrudging respect for the two gentlemen in question!

A chip on a shoulder seriously like of all the things to accuse a Cork man of having.:DWe are irelands greatest sporting and all around GAA county.We only have the weight of 121 all irelands on our shoulders.:)

Que the troll... Didnt think Id be the one to take the bait!!! Silly me:o

you wont find anything bad said Sean Og or Joe Deane here if thats what your looking for. The regular posters here are genuine supporters who have passionate discussions but like a bit of banter aswell. There are other sites such as AFR and the like which are more suited to your type in which you can discuss childish narrow-minded b*****t full with the other all the other trolls.

• Advertisement

Que the troll... Didnt think Id be the one to take the bait!!! Silly me:o

you wont find anything bad said Sean Og or Joe Deane here if thats what your looking for. The regular posters here are genuine supporters who have passionate discussions but like a bit of banter aswell. There are other sites such as AFR and the like which are more suited to your type in which you can discuss childish narrow-minded b*****t full with the other all the other trolls.

Im just a man who is passionate about my county but i guess that passion can get the better of me at times.An Fear Rua is just a repugnant sewer for GAA talk i stick to the PROC and Rebel GAA.btw It's a shame that there's no Waterford fans on the PROC site.We have a Meath man two Dubs a Kildare man as well as a Kerry and Kilkenny fan as regular posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement