Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jerryhedge

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Interesting "first post"...after 2 years:eek:

Opinions are like arsehóles.....

Most Cork fans I speak to think this is a winnable match whereas kk probably wouldn't have been. I'm happy we got Waterford. I think it will be a close game and we are capable of going through - can't ask much more given the alternative really. I've yet to speak to someone who thinks it will be a walkover though.

I'm the quite silent type. just because its my first post. doesn't mean I haven't being following this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

jerryhedge wrote: »
    I'm the quite silent type. just because its my first post. doesn't mean I haven't being following this thread.

Never said you haven't been following this thread:confused:

Sorry to have woken you from your your slumber but as with all threads, the more opinions the better, feel free to comment at any stage..... or not.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Never said you haven't been following this thread:confused:

Sorry to have woken you from your your slumber but as with all threads, the more opinions the better, feel free to comment at any stage..... or not.

cheers i might just do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Disappointed to lose on Sunday but I have to say I'm very heartened by the display and the way the lads went about the game. Lovely to see 15 men go out their in their normal positions and try to play their man. I thought we played some very nice intelligent hurling especially first half. Fellas were looking up and trying to play the ball directly to a man rather than blindly driving it downfield. O' Keefe's puckouts are a gret asset as well, the accuracy and trajectory he gets on them is unreal. i have the world of time for Clinton Hennessy and he was a very solid keeper ina problem position for many years but his puckouts rarely seemed to have any thought or aim behind them. O' Keefe could be between the sticks for many's a year if he keeps this up.

In the end the fact that Tipp had a little more depth to their panel and the fact that they took their scores at the crucial times stood to them. The silly wides we hit when we were 5 points down were the killer in the end, but on another day the likes of Maurice would knock those over with his eyes shut. Some great displays all over the pitch, I think Lawlor is slowly growing into the fullback role and making it his won. Noelie Connors beside him was a rock as always and while Danno had a few hairy moments I thought he aquited himself well. I thought Moran was outstanding, especially first half. Brick I thought actually was below par and his touch was poor at times, while Tony was solid and once again defied the eejits who said his legs were gone. I thought the management dropped the ball in not taking him off Lar when her dropped deep and started to dictate play second half. Molumphy againw as excellent and showed how much a a hoke it was to have him stcuk in the corner the last few years. midfield is his nbatural position, he's unreal at winning the dirty stuff. Mahony again was capable beside, him. Thought Seamus was excellent, loved how he showed for puckouts and he's our one really strong physical presence in the half forwards. Thought Maurice was excellent up until the two bad misses near the end. Some good runs from play - thought I'd put Mahony on frees next day. Gavin o' Brien had a quiet day but didn't see much ball and was mucled out of it a litle. Still think he's a huge talent and I'd persist with him. Mullane was a little quieter than usual but still got the standard few poiints from play and won a a few frees. Shane Walsh again is a great physical presence and I was surprised to see him pulled off, I always think he has a goal in him.

All in all I'm feeling like the panel is pulling in the right direction under Scully. Delighted to see that there seems to be a definite plan. We gave Tipp a great game there by playing honest man for man hurling - what it really shows is Davy didn't really trust the players as hurlers in the way he made them play those horrible defensive tacticsagainst the so called big 2. Give the management team another winter to further bed in their style and work on building up the likes of Gavin and Maurice physically and we look a pretty good unit going forward.

Up the Deise.

Is the game defiantly on in Thurles. Sunday week.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is the game defiantly on in Thurles. Sunday week.?

Yes, double header, Cork v Waterford up first.

To go back to your previous about the Cork supporters been cocky, I think you are reading far too much into it, they are just so relieved to have avoided the other side of the draw it is natural to get a bit carried away as with Galway and Waterford they now have an excellent chance of reaching the AI final, something all three would not have realistically expected at the start of the year, certainly not Cork anyway.

Last week we had a few posters here stating that all Tipp fans were cocky, now its Cork fans, perhaps the issue lies in the mentality of the Waterford fans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

To go back to your previous about the Cork supporters been cocky, I think you are reading far too much into it, they are just so relieved to have avoided the other side of the draw it is natural to get a bit carried away as with Galway and Waterford they now have an excellent chance of reaching the AI final, something all three would not have realistically expected at the start of the year, certainly not Cork anyway.

Last week we had a few posters here stating that all Tipp fans were cocky, now its Cork fans, perhaps the issue lies in the mentality of the Waterford fans ;)

I think you are reading far to much onto it, look back at what you are saying about a few posters than you go on and accuse all Waterford fans. By the way well done last Sunday you will only improve from here on in playing a lovely brand of hurling. I would have been happier if the final score was tighter as I taught the game was fairly even until those goals. O Briens goal was a cracker got me right in the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    I think you are reading far to much onto it, look back at what you are saying about a few posters than you go on and accuse all Waterford fans. By the way well done last Sunday you will only improve from here on in playing a lovely brand of hurling. I would have been happier if the final score was tighter as I taught the game was fairly even until those goals. O Briens goal was a cracker got me right in the heart.

Ah my last line was strictly tounge in cheek mccarthy, couldnt resist :D

Thanks for the congrats, it was a good win and I was happy because again we have shown heart and a willingness to fight, which was been questioned under Declan Ryan. And I think in the long run Sunday will stand to Tipp alot more than 12 months ago.

Johno is a quality underrated hurler IMO, he has a wonderfull pair of hans and most importantly is a very intelligent hurler, It got my heart going also, especially as I had it backed @ 10/1 :D

I thin Waterford can be very happy with their performance aswell, slight over reliance on Mullane, Prendergast needs to work on he's shooting because he is a quality ball winner, O'Mahony should be on the frees and just forget about Eoin Kelly and Waterford shouldnt fear anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Ah my last line was strictly tounge in cheek mccarthy, couldnt resist :D

Thanks for the congrats, it was a good win and I was happy because again we have shown heart and a willingness to fight, which was been questioned under Declan Ryan. And I think in the long run Sunday will stand to Tipp alot more than 12 months ago.

Johno is a quality underrated hurler IMO, he has a wonderfull pair of hans and most importantly is a very intelligent hurler, It got my heart going also, especially as I had it backed @ 10/1 :D

I thin Waterford can be very happy with their performance aswell, slight over reliance on Mullane, Prendergast needs to work on he's shooting because he is a quality ball winner, O'Mahony should be on the frees and just forget about Eoin Kelly and Waterford shouldnt fear anyone.

This x1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

I think secretly everyone from all three counties is looking at this as a huge opportunity to reach an All Ireland. Its not often with the championship format so rigid these days that you'll get neither Tipp nor KK in one half of the draw. Personally I think there's very little between the three and both the quarter and semi will come down to who happens to perform on the day. Great to have some uncertainty in the championship, it had gotten a bit stale the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Mahony should be on the frees and just forget about Eoin Kelly and Waterford shouldnt fear anyone.

100% agreed, am greatly disturbed by the a number of posters suggesting Eoin Kelly should start v Cork. Given his current 'work rate' he is lucky to even be on the panel. I would give Gavin O'Brien another chance, the potential is there and on a dry sod his pace could cause Cork serious problems.

I wouldn't be too bothered about what Cork fans are saying on some of those message boards, many of them are armchair fans. From chatting with a few people around Cork and a couple of lads on their panel, they are obviously delighted to be playing us as opposed to Kilkenny but are anticipating a very tight game. They see the game as a great chance to have a crack at making the final in the same way that we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

doz wrote: »
    100% agreed, am greatly disturbed by the a number of posters suggesting Eoin Kelly should start v Cork. Given his current 'work rate' he is lucky to even be on the panel. I would give Gavin O'Brien another chance, the potential is there and on a dry sod his pace could cause Cork serious problems.

I wouldn't be too bothered about what Cork fans are saying on some of those message boards, many of them are armchair fans. From chatting with a few people around Cork and a couple of lads on their panel, they are obviously delighted to be playing us as opposed to Kilkenny but are anticipating a very tight game. They see the game as a great chance to have a crack at making the final in the same way that we do.
    not so sure about Gavin O Brien
    and how many chances he needs ,poor against clare and equally a no show against tipp,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

and how many chances he needs ,poor against clare and equally a no show against tipp,

Yeah, and at 19 he should really be in his prime :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Yeah, and at 19 he should really be in his prime :rolleyes:
    oh maybe we will wait until he is 26,sure after all he was on that good minor team etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Anyone hear what the team is for the U-21's? Its gonna be a tough one home advantage might just swing it for Clare, I fear. If we can get through we meet Tipp at home in the final who we beat 3 years ago at minor also.

oh maybe we will wait until he is 26,sure after all he was on that good minor team etc etc

maybe we'll watch how he goes tomorrow nigth, and give him a fair chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

maybe we'll watch how he goes tomorrow nigth, and give him a fair chance

I agree, give him one last chance and if it dosent work, then its the scrapheap. Afterall hes recently turned 19 and out of minor with over 6 months at this stage. Hes not going to develop anymore anyway..............................

WumBuster wrote: »
    Anyone hear what the team is for the U-21's? Its gonna be a tough one home advantage might just swing it for Clare, I fear. If we can get through we meet Tipp at home in the final who we beat 3 years ago at minor also.

Look back on previous posts its been given umpteen times

seen the Tipp-Limerick game tonight. Tipp won handy thought Limerick would be favourites with the amount of seniors they have. Was a poor enough game to be fair, although conditions didnt help. I think tomorow nights game will be of a much higher standard

I agree, give him one last chance and if it dosent work, then its the scrapheap. Afterall hes recently turned 19 and out of minor with over 6 months at this stage. Hes not going to develop anymore anyway..............................

I'm not sure if you're taking my comment fantastically out of context again, or agreeing with me?

i was just reading some post's on the langers website. peoples republic of cork.

they seem to think we are going to be a walk over. and have dreams of the all ireland final already..

i am very confident we will beat them f**kers. cocky isn't the word for a team who hasn't won anything since 2006.

( here is a Quote. just to give ye an idea of what they think of us........... )

I wouldnt pay any heed to this rubbish.

Our main concern is that JBM will have Cork well riled up for us.

( the aim was a semifinal and be competitve.

Thats very achievable but we get to a semifinal while galway have a great record against us in semifinals like 79 and 85 we have beaten galway before and would fancy us.

Its not like there an expierenced team either.
    They havent been in a final since 2005and a semifinal since then also.

Unlike 79 and 85in the rain when jbm got a splendid goal this time cork are waiting to do the ambush.

Cork were huge favourites and all ireland champs in both.

Galway got cork cold.

This time galway be huge favourites.perefect place to be foe cork.
    Let them believe their hype.

Cork havent impressed yet which is ideal for cork.
    Corks best days are to come.
    Waterfords best days are long gone for that old and tired them tarnished by dreams of what might have been.
    There like a pancake that got tossed and tur ed too many times,thats been overcooked and all the sweetness has been dried out if them making them flat and stale.)

we should put that up on the dressing room wall for the lads....

here is the link if ye want to have a browse

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143238&page=3935

I wouldnt pay any heed to this rubbish. This is people that dont know anything about it.

What does matter is the fact that JBM will have his cork side well riled up for us. Heard him doing interview the other day he more or less said they were in bonus territory. I dont buy it. JBM has been a competitor and a winner all his life and certainly dosent intend on making up numbers now. He has an eye on September, no doubt about that

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you're taking my comment fantastically out of context again, or agreeing with me?

its more hotd comment than yours i was responding to. i was being a tad sarcastic

its more hotd comment than yours i was responding to. i was being a tad sarcastic

Better be...or else....I'll complain. A lot.

Thought Tipp were very good tonight but for some wasteful sooting often when a pass would have been a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Tipp were decent tonight, Sean Curran at centre forward looked good as did the lad that got MOTM Denis Maher. Have to say Limerick were poor though and I expected them to win.

Our lads will have it tough tomorrow night, it'll be a big ask as Clare will have some serious players like Tony Kelly, Aaron Cunningham, Colm Galvin, Pauge Collins et al on show. We've a decent team put, would have been nice if Fives made it as I think that FB line could be got at.

Clare at 4/11 and us at 5/2 with PP shows who people are putting their money on but I think it'll be closer than those odds suggest.

Really looking forward to it though, we need the midfield to at least break even with their likely midfield of Kelly and Galvin, the forwards need to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Expecting a big performance from Brian O'Halloran, this is his chance having missed so much through injury in the last year and we need the seniors like GOB, MON, Paudie, Phillip, SOK to get last Sunday out of the system and hit the ground running.
    Anyone heading up btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Where's it being played and what time's throw-in? I'd half consider going but it's a fair spin to Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Where's it being played and what time's throw-in? I'd half consider going but it's a fair spin to Clare.

Ennis at 7.30. Yeah it's a fair trek, would love to go but trying to spare the funds for Sunday week. On TG4 anyway so it's the next best thing I suppose.

If we win, I think we'll get a home final considering we played Tipp in Thurles last year U21 so that's another incentive to try win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

i was just reading some post's on the langers website. peoples republic of cork.

they seem to think we are going to be a walk over. and have dreams of the all ireland final already..

i am very confident we will beat them f**kers. cocky isn't the word for a team who hasn't won anything since 2006.

( here is a Quote. just to give ye an idea of what they think of us........... )

( the aim was a semifinal and be competitve.

Thats very achievable but we get to a semifinal while galway have a great record against us in semifinals like 79 and 85 we have beaten galway before and would fancy us.

Its not like there an expierenced team either.
    They havent been in a final since 2005and a semifinal since then also.

Unlike 79 and 85in the rain when jbm got a splendid goal this time cork are waiting to do the ambush.

Cork were huge favourites and all ireland champs in both.

Galway got cork cold.

This time galway be huge favourites.perefect place to be foe cork.
    Let them believe their hype.

Cork havent impressed yet which is ideal for cork.
    Corks best days are to come.
    Waterfords best days are long gone for that old and tired them tarnished by dreams of what might have been.
    There like a pancake that got tossed and tur ed too many times,thats been overcooked and all the sweetness has been dried out if them making them flat and stale.)

we should put that up on the dressing room wall for the lads....

here is the link if ye want to have a browse

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143238&page=3935

Jerry my man Waterford blew their chance in 07.In the post 06 era Cork had two **** managers in Gerald McCarthy and Dennis Walsh.The past 6 years were ruined for Cork because of a vindictive county board.Even when we were at our lowest ebb ye barely beat us in 07 and 2010 prior to that we had yere number.Don't worry Cads might show yere lads his all ireland football medal and Brian Murphy might show John Mullane his two all ireland hurling medals.It will be the closest the Waterford lads will get to seeing some.A well prepared Cork team will always beat Waterford and that will be proved in two weeks time.btw The conduct of John Mullane and Eoin Kelly is an insult to the values and ethos of the association.If only they handed out all irelands for taunting and trash talking.You guys would have won plenty.Proper hurling counties like Cork Tipp and Kilkenny don't feel the need to resort to such carry on.:rolleyes:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I'd say waterford could beat clare tomorrow night. I havent seen either team play but alot of the clare senior panelists tomorrow night are only just out of minor and will find it hard to dominate at u21 level

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

The conduct of John Mullane and Eoin Kelly is an insult to the values and ethos of the association

Yes your right...maybe you should send Noel O'Leary up to instill the true values of the game to them!

we'll see the dirty play of cork once again this year :)
    can't wait to send the langers packing.

A semi final place and sending cork home.
    would be a good year for me.

considering this is a young Deise side

waterford to win by 2-3 points :)

• Advertisement

we'll see the dirty play of cork once again this year :)
    can't wait to send the langers packing.

A semi final place and sending cork home.
    would be a good year for me.

considering this is a young Deise side

waterford to win by 2-3 points :)

Cork aren't dirty, please let us not get bogged down in childishness.
    Jerry my man Waterford blew their chance in 07.In the post 06 era Cork had two **** managers in Gerald McCarthy and Dennis Walsh.The past 6 years were ruined for Cork because of a vindictive county board.Even when we were at our lowest ebb ye barely beat us in 07 and 2010 prior to that we had yere number.Don't worry Cads might show yere lads his all ireland football medal and Brian Murphy might show John Mullane his two all ireland hurling medals.It will be the closest the Waterford lads will get to seeing some.A well prepared Cork team will always beat Waterford and that will be proved in two weeks time.btw The conduct of John Mullane and Eoin Kelly is an insult to the values and ethos of the association.If only they handed out all irelands for taunting and trash talking.You guys would have won plenty.Proper hurling counties like Cork Tipp and Kilkenny don't feel the need to resort to such carry on.:rolleyes:

I'd say there fierce jealous of Eoin Cadogan's football medals alright. Think he might be better suited to sticking with the football at this stage, give the way he was destroyed by Bonner Maher. I know Bonner Maher made a goal against us, but I think Brick limited his influence pretty well. Brick is also a better footballer than Cadogan, just sayin!

How you can say this board held you back, when specifically the biggeest problem is Frank Murphy apparently, and yet how many all-irelands have they won under his stewardship? Just looking for somebody else to blame. The board is still there by the way, so I dunno what's changed.

We also had our worst manager since 1997 the last few years, and in that time we had Gerald Mc who was better than Fitzgerald.

John Mullane never has too much bother playing Cork and has 4-24 in 11 games against them, and if yer marking is as loose as it was against Wexford he'll improve that tally further.

Was watching GAA in the 70s last night, and the jumping around Cork players did after the goal was excessive. But I doubt the papers wrote about how they tarnished the image of the game. Because they didn't. Nor does Mullane, exact same thing just it sickens you to know that he's scored and it also sickens you that he (as much as you celebrating Cork score) is allowed celebrate. I don't care much for Eoin Kelly's behaviour, but he won't start. It's like me giving out about Sean Og's whinging, completely irrelevant to the game.

Have the height of respect for Luke O'Farrell and Conor Lehane, but don't Tony would fear Niall McCarthy and Pa Cronin is made for Brick. Sweetnam is good, but he wasn't very prominent against Tipp. McLoughlin was but I think we can match ye there.

I think Egan is a quality player but apparently he's off form, and might be dropped for one of Gardiner or Sean Og. I think JBM will try and avoid it because they're both past it. Tom Kenny is another one who's oushing it to be honest. The fact that ye don't have a settled full back line has got to be a worry. Murphy and O'Neill are good players but their more natural corner backs, and if one of them fills in full back it means you need to find another corner back and Cahalane is still a bit green.

Should be a tight game, an enjoyable game, and there really is no need for all this bravado horse sh*te.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement