Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

MfMan wrote: »
    Is there / why is there a division between east and west in Waterford? Where is the demarcation line? Is it a city v county thing?

Not only is there an east/West thing in the county, but there is also a city/country thing, maybe with Tramore getting in with the city.

There is an invisible line down the county either side of the Mahon falls.

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Not my point. You will get odd exceptional player from lower graded clubs but my point is that only 3 players on minor team from senior clubs .....not that a player from lower graded club cant play for county. I know lads might say that that was the best 15 but it is a worry for future if alot of these lads remain playing inter and junior as there is a huge gap in standard between senior and inter/junior in county

Maybe its telling you that the standard of players supplied by the senior clubs is not as strong as it was/should be, or that the clubs in the intermediate and junior grades at underage levels are fast catching up with them. Its not that long ago, that a team from Butlerstown/Dunhill/Fenor were winning 'A Grade' County finals from under 12 up to minor if memory serves me right. Dunhill at the time were an Intermediate club at adult level and Butlerstown and Fenor aren't they both Junior CLubs for God knows how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Not my point. You will get odd exceptional player from lower graded clubs but my point is that only 3 players on minor team from senior clubs .....not that a player from lower graded club cant play for county. I know lads might say that that was the best 15 but it is a worry for future if alot of these lads remain playing inter and junior as there is a huge gap in standard between senior and inter/junior in county

I dont see your argument here at all. Whatever grade a lads adult club is it wouldnt affect him at minor level anyway. All these lads are playing minor & U21 for the clubs and schools an colleges competitions against players of their own level. A lot of the lads playing last night are with small junior clubs but would be playing A' Grade hurling at minor so I dont think that is an adequate excuse for us being beaten by so much.
    As for your concerns that there are too many players from junior and intermediate clubs well its the first year weve had a minor team which hasn't been dominated by the usual 3 or 4 city clubs so dont try and tell me thats bad for hurling. This panel has been backboned by the Colaiste Na Deise Harty winning team, which outside of Dungarvan is and always has consisted of players from small rural clubs around Dungarvan. Surely the junior and intermediate divisions will get stronger with many of these lads coming through and increase the spread of talent. I take it your in favour of players from smaller clubs being poached by the bigger clubs if thats the case?

If you look at it most county players dont train or play any league games with their clubs, are only around for the 4 or 5 club championship games a year. The rest of the year they are training and playing with other senior intercounty players so I dont buy into the argument that because of a lads club it dosent make him good enough or that its bad for Waterford to have too many players from smaller clubs coming throug

Black Suir wrote: »
    Was not at the game but would have to tend to agree with you. It is widely reported that members of the panel approached them before the game with Clare to get them to change their ways. When Minor Players do this, or feel the need to do it, it does tend to get questions running in your mind. I would also have issues as to the appointing of selectors. In the last four or five years, am i right in saying that we have had different selectors and coaches each year, but there might be one person who might be involved two years running at times. Look at Galway, the most successful minor team in the last good knows how many teams. They have kept Mattie Forde in charge for God knows how many teams and at this level it works as they are winning All-Ireland. I am around long enough to remember when at the start of each year Bord na nÓg picked there selectors for the year and if they were successful they were kept on while they showed interest in doing so. After a year or two they moved up along to the next team and when it came to picking the minor selectors, the Adult County Board picked them after consulting with the Bord na nÓg for their views. In recent years it appears to be the coaching committee that are calling all the shots. They pick people as is their right from those that have done coaching courses etc. Bord na nÓg seemed to pick them from those the officers saw attending games, helping their clubs in what ever way they could etc. To me there is too many underage committee's in the county, but thankfully its beginning to look like that is to change in the near future.

Mini rant over.

He was an allstar footballer with Wexford on his day... good to see him give something back to Galway hurling:P

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

I dont see your argument here at all. Whatever grade a lads adult club is it wouldnt affect him at minor level anyway. All these lads are playing minor & U21 for the clubs and schools an colleges competitions against players of their own level. A lot of the lads playing last night are with small junior clubs but would be playing A' Grade hurling at minor so I dont think that is an adequate excuse for us being beaten by so much.
    As for your concerns that there are too many players from junior and intermediate clubs well its the first year weve had a minor team which hasn't been dominated by the usual 3 or 4 city clubs so dont try and tell me thats bad for hurling. This panel has been backboned by the Colaiste Na Deise Harty winning team, which outside of Dungarvan is and always has consisted of players from small rural clubs around Dungarvan. Surely the junior and intermediate divisions will get stronger with many of these lads coming through and increase the spread of talent. I take it your in favour of players from smaller clubs being poached by the bigger clubs if thats the case?

If you look at it most county players dont train or play any league games with their clubs, are only around for the 4 or 5 club championship games a year. The rest of the year they are training and playing with other senior intercounty players so I dont buy into the argument that because of a lads club it dosent make him good enough or that its bad for Waterford to have too many players from smaller clubs coming throug
    The higher standard you play the better you will get. I would be more hopeful for future if we had young lads impessing at Senior Club level than at Inter/Junior where an average senior club player would stand out. I never mentioned city clubs or poaching players and tis no fault of players if they happen to be from a so called small club. I couldnt give a fiddlers what club players are from tbh, but would be worried about standard they are at and what they will be developing at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Dont think he was 'let go' to be fair. Management decided that SOK is their first choice keeper and you have to say this has been justified.

Sad to see a lad of Powers quality depart but who can blame any lad for seeing a better life overseas in the current climate. Having sat on the bench for the past 4 years behind Clinton hes obviously decided hes not going put up with another year of it and if I was him Id probably be doing the same at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

joe.ie is such lazy negative thrash reporting journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen get out...

@Jarjohn I agree with you top players need to be playing top level club hurling, end of.. If their unfortunate to be part of an intermediate club that level of competition needs to be all county how can they excell playin the likes of ballyduff lower, and tramore look at Dunhill and Roanmore gettin hammered in senior because it's too big a step up no disrespect but lets not beat round the bush here and I don't blame them I blame the structure of championship..

Harty cup hurling and inter county hurling no comparison

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 newyork4sam

I was at the game last night and no matter what tactics or even had we our best 15 out we still would'nt have won, I believe alot of players on ther panel were'nt given fair chances and the team was picked on loyalty rather than ability. Hopefully a better system of pickng management is drawn up in the future to give the team an optimum chance of achieving success

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Agree. I'd love to know what important league games he played this year. I'd also like to know why the fact that they he scored three 21s would make him an invaluable goalkeeper? My understanding was that keepers are there to help maintain primary possession but primarily to make saves and keep the house safe, but obviously joe.ie no better...

He was an allstar footballer with Wexford on his day... good to see him give something back to Galway hurling:P

My mistake, Should have said Mattie Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

Power is one of the best shot stoppers in thw country so he can certainly make saves.

Agree. I'd love to know what important league games he played this year. I'd also like to know why the fact that they he scored three 21s would make him an invaluable goalkeeper? My understanding was that keepers are there to help maintain primary possession but primarily to make saves and keep the house safe, but obviously joe.ie no better...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Strong team for Rd 1 Qualifier game with Wicklow in Aughrim tomorrow.

1. Stephen Enright Ballinacourty
    2. Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    3. Thomas O’Gorman Nire
    4. Kieran Connery Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    5. Tony Grey Stradbally
    6. Shane Briggs Ballinacourty
    7. Wayne Hennessy Ardmore
    8. Sean Dempsey Colligan Emmets
    9. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    10. Liam Ó Lonáin An Rinn
    11. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty
    12. Cillian O’Keeffe Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    13. Mark Ferncombe Ballinacourty
    14. Gary Hurney Ballinacourty (Captain)
    15. J.J. Hutchinson Gaultier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

tus.maith wrote: »
    Strong team for Rd 1 Qualifier game with Wicklow in Aughrim tomorrow.

1. Stephen Enright Ballinacourty
    2. Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    3. Thomas O’Gorman Nire
    4. Kieran Connery Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    5. Tony Grey Stradbally
    6. Shane Briggs Ballinacourty
    7. Wayne Hennessy Ardmore
    8. Sean Dempsey Colligan Emmets
    9. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    10. Liam Ó Lonáin An Rinn
    11. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty
    12. Cillian O’Keeffe Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    13. Mark Ferncombe Ballinacourty
    14. Gary Hurney Ballinacourty (Captain)
    15. J.J. Hutchinson Gaultier

Only question mark I'd have there is around midfield. Surprised to see Pudge Hurney in there - wouldn't be surprised if this 15 changed before kickoff.

Munster Final Ticket prices as follows:-

Advance Purchases:

Covered €30, Uncovered €25, Terrace €15
    Family Adult Covered €30 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult UnCovered €25 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult Terrace €15 – Juvenile €5
    Student/OAP - Concession on Stand Tickets only – pay full price and get a refund of €10 at specified Stiles on the day (on production of valid I.D.)

Groups

Juvenile Groups – There will be a limited number of Juvenile Groups available for this game. €3 per Juvenile with a free Adult with every 10 children. Other adults pay €25.

All Groups should be booked directly with Co Board

Match Day Purchases:

Covered €35, Uncovered €30, Terrace €20, Student Terrace €15
    Family Adult Covered €35 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult UnCovered €30 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult Terrace €20 – Juvenile €5

Patrons are strongly advised to purchase their tickets in advance otherwise they will have to pay full price for tickets on the day.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Only question mark I'd have there is around midfield. Surprised to see Pudge Hurney in there - wouldn't be surprised if this 15 changed before kickoff.

Is Sean O'Hare not available for selection. WOuld be better in the middle of the field than the two picked there. As you said wouldn't be surprised to see changes. Is Tommy Prendergast injured again.

Is Sean O'Hare not available for selection. WOuld be better in the middle of the field than the two picked there. As you said wouldn't be surprised to see changes. Is Tommy Prendergast injured again.

I don't have access to most of my usual sources at the moment as I'm out of the county, but you'd certainly pick O'Hare at midfield if he was fit, and Prendergast with him if he was fit. I don't know a whole lot about Dempsey, and Pudge Hurney is not really a midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

O Hare withdrew, don't know about pender

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Munster Final Ticket prices as follows:-

Advance Purchases:

Covered €30, Uncovered €25, Terrace €15
    Family Adult Covered €30 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult UnCovered €25 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult Terrace €15 – Juvenile €5
    Student/OAP - Concession on Stand Tickets only – pay full price and get a refund of €10 at specified Stiles on the day (on production of valid I.D.)

Groups

Juvenile Groups – There will be a limited number of Juvenile Groups available for this game. €3 per Juvenile with a free Adult with every 10 children. Other adults pay €25.

All Groups should be booked directly with Co Board

Match Day Purchases:

Covered €35, Uncovered €30, Terrace €20, Student Terrace €15
    Family Adult Covered €35 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult UnCovered €30 - Juveniles €5
    Family Adult Terrace €20 – Juvenile €5

Patrons are strongly advised to purchase their tickets in advance otherwise they will have to pay full price for tickets on the day.

the covered stand tickets on Ticketmaster and Tickets.ie are rubbish, they only have Block A and Block B.

Will there be a public sale of tickets in Walsh Park or a ticket van going around the city which might have good covered stand tickets ??.

I hate both the terraces and the uncovered stand. truly i hate the whole place but i love the munster final so whats the point in staying at home watching it on tv when you have a chance to be there ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deisedude wrote: »
    Power is one of the best shot stoppers in thw country so he can certainly make saves.

I know, but they failed to mention that fact once in the entire article.

solarith wrote: »
    O Hare withdrew, don't know about pender

Again!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

I know, but they failed to mention that fact once in the entire article.

Ah sorry, I read that and thought you didn't rate him. Joe.ie GAA coverage is basic enough, doubt many of the lads working there know too much about it!

Still though on the topic of lazy journalism and Power. I read on a Hogan stand article about how Power scored a hat trick when playing for Cork VEC schools in 1995 which would have made him 7 or 8 at the time. Should have been 2005!

Just checked, they edited it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twixaroo

I was at the game last night and no matter what tactics or even had we our best 15 out we still would'nt have won, I believe alot of players on ther panel were'nt given fair chances and the team was picked on loyalty rather than ability. Hopefully a better system of pickng management is drawn up in the future to give the team an optimum chance of achieving success

Seems a strange comment that players were picked on loyalty given that there were 4 changes from the previous game no?

Can't believe people are concerned about the fact that so many players came from rural clubs! In the past people complained (and i would have said rightly so) that the big senior clubs were being favoured. I would have seen this years spread of clubs as a positive. To compare, we had 13 different clubs represented in our starting 15, as did Tipp. Admittedly i do not know how many of the Tipp were from senior clubs but it's not like they are just drawing from the same few clubs like some ppl here seem to wish for.

The Coláiste na nDéise team were praised here for their achievement (as they should be!) yet these same lads are then deemed not good enough following one loss to a Tipp team that will have a major say in the destiny of the Minor All Ireland.. It beggars belief really!

Who is it ye are saying is out there that would have made such an impact? I doubt there is any player that wasn't looked at by the management at close quarters. Care to point them out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Deise Abu 2012

The Waterford footballers travel to AUghrim to play Wicklow in the qualifiers tomorrow and the Waterford under 14 Ladies Football team take on Cavan in the 'B' All-Ireland. I have a quick look at both games in my latest helpings.

Thanks for all the reads. I think since last Sunday, my blog has had its most hits since i began it.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newbie_deise

As far as i know pudge will be centre forward, his brother gary will be midfield and paul whyte will be full forward, dont know why the named it different, strong team much more balanced than the team that faced limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

The Waterford under 14 Ladies Football team take on Cavan in the 'B' All-Ireland.http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/
    My daughter is on that team :-)
    We played cork in a challenge last week or The week before. There in the ( A final ) and we beat them by two goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Both U16 hurling Eastern Championship Semi Finals are on this weekend, with Mount Sion taking on Ballygunner and De La Salle clashing with Passage. Anybody going to either games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

waterford are 7/2 to win... Anyone think they are worth a few bob... Even money with 4point handicap.. Hurney is playing isn't he?

• Advertisement

waterford are 7/2 to win... Anyone think they are worth a few bob... Even money with 4point handicap.. Hurney is playing isn't he?

9/2 to win, and regardless of the odds they are capable of a win. The last two times we played Wicklow home and away in the league we beat them. Our form coming in is poor, but Wicklow's two best players are injured. Couple that with the likes of Hurney, O'Lionnain and Whyte coming back, I think you'd be mad not to put a few quid down at that price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement