Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

deise_girl wrote: »
    I heard we won 1-27 to 4-16 :) But that it was played Friday night?

Thanks for that, not a bad result if we could only reproduce that display against Tip we may not get the hiding we got last year. Anybody I have spoken to about our chances against Tipp are not very confident, it would really do a lot of damage to us if we receive another beating in a Munster Final. A repeat of 82,83 wold be a nightmare I really hope does not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, not a bad result if we could only reproduce that display against Tip we may not get the hiding we got last year. Anybody I have spoken to about our chances against Tipp are not very confident, it would really do a lot of damage to us if we receive another beating in a Munster Final. A repeat of 82,83 wold be a nightmare I really hope does not happen.
    this must be the most pessimistic post ever why bother words like ,,,,not ,bad,if,hiding,damage,nightmare,christ man get a grip firstly ,the brainless one is gone [a certain mr fitz] and his hare brained ideas on how a team should line out ,[we had the beatings of tipp before he came along ]think back to last year, clinton hennessey in goal,the brick full back dragged out to corner back by noel mc grath,jerome maher went in full back on hurler of the year lar,molumphy in the corner but dragged back out to half forward line ,leaving S Walsh on his own in ff line [1 forward against 4 tipp defenders]i could go on but sure you get the idea ,davy was absolutely useless at setting up teams ,this year stick 2 hurling ,hopefully no ridiculous tactics ,hurl them 15 versus 15 we have them beat,CMON THE DEISE

• Registered Users Posts: 37,797 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Since 2008 we have played tipp 4 times in the championship and have only 1 victory out of those games.

In the 2009 munster final we made a couple of defensive mistakes which cost us the match.

In the 2010 all Ireland semi final and the 2011 munster final we were completely played off the pitch. Were our tactics to blame for those defeats.

I think this year we will hopefully put up a good fight and not get a pasting again. I don't think we have the depth in the team to win and tipp have had 2 hard games against limerick and cork under there belts already, while we have had only one game.

Anyway this time 2 weeks we will know where we are at. A all Ireland quarter final against cork or dublin will be tough.

Anyone know will there be good covered stand tickets available online ?. The only sections available are blocks a and b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

From Club Deise's Facebook page:

Mce Shanahan was great - 13pts (2 from play). Seamus 2pts, Mullane 2pts, T Ryan 3pts, Eoin Kelly 2pts, Eoin McGrath 1-0, Shane 1pt, O'Neill 1 pt, Gavin 1pt, Dean 2pts.

https://www.facebook.com/ClubDeiseTheWaterfordGaaSupportersClub

Everyone rush out and do the lotto for Wednesday.

Clare are in the minor hurling final....the minor set up is a pile of dung.

we lost one game and were out. Clare lose their first game and get a second chance...

Bo**ox

For what its worth, I think we should go back to the old system, beaten and you are out.

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    I heard we won 1-27 to 4-16 :) But that it was played Friday night?

Leaving in goals still seem to be a problem. Not a good thing to be happening coming up to a Munster Final. We know what Tipp can do if he allow them the chance.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Since 2008 we have played tipp 4 times in the championship and have only 1 victory out of those games.

In the 2009 munster final we made a couple of defensive mistakes which cost us the match.

In the 2010 all Ireland semi final and the 2011 munster final we were completely played off the pitch. Were our tactics to blame for those defeats.

I think this year we will hopefully put up a good fight and not get a pasting again. I don't think we have the depth in the team to win and tipp have had 2 hard games against limerick and cork under there belts already, while we have had only one game.

Anyway this time 2 weeks we will know where we are at. A all Ireland quarter final against cork or dublin will be tough.

Anyone know will there be good covered stand tickets available online ?. The only sections available are blocks a and b.

Go through the clubs. Its only right that they get the best, well second best behind those from Cork with their seats bought, and a few cronies that will get good tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

djfern84 wrote: »
    solarith wrote: »
    4 times in a year.

4 times in a year post up the four times there please I'm pretty sure only Carlow and Wicklow since u seem to know it all

Limerick as well last year, and it was a really stupid thing to get sent off for (though I guess most things are).

I'm not going to attack Hurney, but I hope (and am sure he did) he apologised because the rest of the lads deserve as much, especially when he is one of the leaders of the team. Fairplay to them, Wicklow scoring late to force extra time up in the fortress of Aughrim, not bad at all. Scarce comfort to them I'm sure though.

this must be the most pessimistic post ever why bother words like ,,,,not ,bad,if,hiding,damage,nightmare,christ man get a grip firstly ,the brainless one is gone [a certain mr fitz] and his hare brained ideas on how a team should line out ,[we had the beatings of tipp before he came along ]think back to last year, clinton hennessey in goal,the brick full back dragged out to corner back by noel mc grath,jerome maher went in full back on hurler of the year lar,molumphy in the corner but dragged back out to half forward line ,leaving S Walsh on his own in ff line [1 forward against 4 tipp defenders]i could go on but sure you get the idea ,davy was absolutely useless at setting up teams ,this year stick 2 hurling ,hopefully no ridiculous tactics ,hurl them 15 versus 15 we have them beat,CMON THE DEISE
    I don't feel confident but you have lifted my spirits

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

all those games Davy was in charge ,we were well able for them before he came along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

So the Waterford county boards attempt to 'fundraise' has turned out to be a total disaster. Only 480 for Saturday nights concert and 1685 yesterday means the board is heading for a minimum 30000 loss, and possibly up to 50000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

tus.maith wrote: »
    So the Waterford county boards attempt to 'fundraise' has turned out to be a total disaster. Only 480 for Saturday nights concert and 1685 yesterday means the board is heading for a minimum 30000 loss, and possibly up to 50000.

They must have thought they could market it the same way as they do for county finals and other games within the county - not at all in other words. The difference between the county final and the concert is that you don't need to pay the headline act in the county final.

They had rubbish acts in a rubbish venue, with rubbish PR by a small event management company based in Dungarvan. A poor turnout is unsurprising.

Limerick as well last year, and it was a really stupid thing to get sent off for (though I guess most things are).

I'm not going to attack Hurney, but I hope (and am sure he did) he apologised because the rest of the lads deserve as much, especially when he is one of the leaders of the team. Fairplay to them, Wicklow scoring late to force extra time up in the fortress of Aughrim, not bad at all. Scarce comfort to them I'm sure though.

Wicklow and Waterford are about the same standard. The difference between the teams would have been Hurney. By removing himself from the game he took our chances of winning with him. I'm reluctant to criticise a lad who has given so much to the game in the county, but I'm sure must be honest with himself enough to know he let his team down badly.

Not sure where that team is going - will Owens stay on another year? Most of that team are made up of lads who came out of good U21 teams up until the early 00's, and the standard of underage teams in recent years have been an utter disgrace. With only one player from East Waterford playing, serious questions regarding structures and player development need to be asked and addressed pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

imo. waterford is a hurling county not football..

we can only have one or the other.

imo. waterford is a hurling county not football..

we can only have one or the other.

Oh my God. Are we having this debate again!? As it is the hurlers can have full access to whatever player they want from underage to senior, and get total priority over issues ranging from finance to fixture scheduling. What more do you want!?

tus.maith wrote: »

If they had done the right thing back in September 2008 and kicked Davy out on her ear, we might not be in as much debt .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Not one bit surprised about that concert in Fraher field. Like it was never going to be a moneymaker, Jedward who have saturated every venue in the southeast and Bressie who is playing at most barndances and village festival around. Its disappointing, simply becasue with the lack of the Oxygen festival this year there is a market for these festivals, like the strawberry fest in Wexford. There are pleny indie/dance/folk acts that could be got, ffs look at the acts who have played nowlan park in recent years. I think Jedward and Bressie says as much about who organised it.

"Who will we get ?

Jedward, sure aren't the kids mad about them, and then their parents will have to come to
    What about that Bressie chap, sure wasn't he on the tele?"

Give me a break, county board, if brains where dynamite they wouldn't have enough between them to blow the tops of their heads off.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

mouthinlad wrote: »
    now hould on we love bressie and Jedward up the west, organise your own concert down in Waaaherford city if you have such a problem
    You're pretty much the worst troll ever, about as funny as a plane crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Are you guys sure that the CB were carrying all the risk on this venture......I doubt it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 37,797 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

is there anywhere in the city where you can buy stand tickets for the munster final. ??

Will there be a sale in Walsh Park.

The Tickets online are ****e and not worth buying

• Advertisement

cornerboy wrote: »
    Are you guys sure that the CB were carrying all the risk on this venture......I doubt it myself

County Board definitely carrying all the risk.

is there anywhere in the city where you can buy stand tickets for the munster final. ??

Will there be a sale in Walsh Park.

The Tickets online are ****e and not worth buying

Super Value in Carrick are selling tickets I'm sure the Waterford branch will also have them for sale. Its worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Super Value in Carrick are selling tickets I'm sure the Waterford branch will also have them for sale. Its worth a try

I wouldnt mind sitting in the middle of the Tipp fans if I thought wed beat them! Unfortunately I cant see us winning

I wouldnt mind sitting in the middle of the Tipp fans if I thought wed beat them! Unfortunately I cant see us winning

No way Carrickbeg is CO.Waterford you would be with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

So thats the loss from the rhythmfest then eh. I wonder how long the players will have to wait for their expenses now. What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Isn't the Supervalu in Carrick on the Tipp side of the bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

i know this is off the point, but im just wondering does anyone have the number for the person who makes the kilkenny faceguards?

Isn't the Supervalu in Carrick on the Tipp side of the bridge?
    Yes it is but they sell tickets to accommodate both counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

i know this is off the point, but im just wondering does anyone have the number for the person who makes the kilkenny faceguards?

Big Gerry Cleere?

• Advertisement

Waterford's fundraising hits bum note after €50,000 loss on gig gamble

Waterford County Board are facing losses of up to €50,000 after a disastrous concert promotion over the weekend.
    Hopes that 'Rhythmfest' in Dungarvan, which featured acts such a Bressie, the High Kings and Jedward, could generate sufficient funds to eat into mounting debts were dashed when an estimated 2,200 turned out over the two days.
    The board executive met in emergency last night to discuss the fallout, with bills expected to be close to €50,000.
    Only an estimated 500 turned up for the Saturday show, with just 1,700 on Sunday.
    It is understood that reductions in costs have been negotiated with gardai and the civil defence, but significant losses are expected.
    "Money is scarce -- we took a gamble and it didn't pay off," acknowledged Waterford chairman Tom Cunningham.
    "On this occasion we hoped to run it on a break-even basis and set the trend for future years. But we did succeed in providing customer satisfaction."
    Cunningham also rejected suggestions that last night's executive meeting was 'emergency' in its nature, explaining: "This is an officer board meeting that goes ahead on the first Monday of every month.
    "'Rhythmfest' will probably be discussed but we won't know whether we broke even or whether we lost money.
    "But they were brilliant concerts and the people that came really enjoyed them."
    Waterford County Board ran a deficit of €120,000 last year and are thought to be trying to clear a debt of €210,000.
    They are one of 11 counties who failed to keep expenditure below income and are now paying the price for that.
    The Waterford football squad have been struggling in recent times to get expenses they are due but settlement has now been reached.
    The Deise senior hurling team has also had its budget dramatically cut from recent years.
    - Colm Keys
    Irish Independent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement