Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

But then we'd still have to play in Cork?

But not as often!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Absolutely, and Gaelic grounds should be declared Clares' stadium for Munster matches because its nearest to them. The current set up is seeing Tipp and Cork GAA(and Towns) earning extra revenue out of Waterford and Clare munster matches. Unfair

Make an arrangment where they get the opening cost plus a bit extra, Waterford get the rest ,its not fair but life is not fair ,neither is capitalism,you got a problem with it ,bring it up with our non-existant unified county board,oh thats right,they quibbled about how to rearrange the deckchairs until the funding was gone to make our own stadium.

Time to make the best of a bad situation

while were on the subject best to limit the Paircto 30k for safety reasons and ignore the place outside of football and league matches,the place is not fit for an under 8's Junior B competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-blame-cork-facilities-for-switch-plea-3151576.html

Waterford blame Cork facilities for switch plea

A much more fair article (by a different Journalist) thn the muck put up yesterday.

I am glad they learned their lesson.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't forget that Clare have to pass the Gaelic Grounds every time they play away from Cusack Park as well :) I do agree that the Gaelic Grounds is very very close to Clare, in fact for a lot of the players now it's a lot easier to get to the Gaelic Grounds. I would say as well that there isn't a huge difference in time from the turnoff for Thurles to get to Semple than to The Gaelic Grounds.

In regards to the "dodgy side", the Ennis Road in Limerick would be 1 of the nicer/better areas of the city, Moyross and a few other of the "dodgy" estates would be in other areas, behind Thomond Park and other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

or maybe the teams in west Waterford are after getting better.. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

or maybe the teams in west Waterford are after getting better.. ?

agreed, I don't think the east is getting worse per say, like de la salle are still brill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

mouthinlad wrote: »
    I think its been a poor showing from some the city teams this year in the championship... quality is gone way down in the east.

I think since hurling has become more popular and successful in Waterford over the past 10-15 years, more and more traditionally football areas in the west have been putting more focus on hurling. Clubs like FMW, Ardmore and Stradbally would be a good example of the the last few years.

Despite all that, I think the title will remain in the city again this year. DLS are in explosive form, when has a county finalist last been beaten by over 20 points in the following season like what happened to Tallow!? Ballygunner will have O'Sullivan back and Mahony back for the knock out stages as well, and should challenge again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Ryan Donnelly introduced at sum stage as he has a real eye for goal

he's a fantastic little hurler.

He's a sound lad too. Hoping to see him get on tonight.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Clubs like FMW, Ardmore and Stradbally would be a good example of the the last few years.

Yeah I would have thought there was a title in fourmile at this stage, they'l probably sh*t the bag as usual

I think since hurling has become more popular and successful in Waterford over the past 10-15 years, more and more traditionally football areas in the west have been putting more focus on hurling. Clubs like FMW, Ardmore and Stradbally would be a good example of the the last few years.

Despite all that, I think the title will remain in the city again this year. DLS are in explosive form, when has a county finalist last been beaten by over 20 points in the following season like what happened to Tallow!? Ballygunner will have O'Sullivan back and Mahony back for the knock out stages as well, and should challenge again.

any chance of sully coming back for the tipp match.?

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    He's a sound lad too. Hoping to see him get on tonight.

i don't know him personally.

but from what i hear he is a really sound fella, lovely little hurler too.
    and has a great eye for goals.

we'll need every player we have to get the win tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Noted but when has a County Finalist been as bad as Tallow, ever? Well worth remembering that they were hammered by Ballygunner twice last year.

The thing is, it is hard to say that they'll both be challenging given we don't know how the draw will pan out. If Ballygunner come 3rd they'll meet De La Salle, and that's one gone. Equally if they come 4th, either themselves or Fourmile will be gone at the quarter final stage as well. There's still a chance Ballygunner might not make the quarters. If they were playing anybody other than Lismore in the last game I'd be sure they would, but they could beat them, especially since Mahony and the O'Sullivans will not be back very long.

Group 1 is incredibly interesting with all the permutations it has:

Team Points Score Diff

Lismore 6 +9

Dungarvan 5 +10

Ballygunner 4 -3

Abbeyside 4 -1

Passage 3 -5

Ballyduff Upper 2 -10

Lismore v Ballygunner, Passage v Dungarvan, Abbeyside v Ballyduff Upper

Lismore are qualified but may yet rue there draws with Passage and Abbeyside. If they were to beat Ballygunner they would finish 1st, and most likely face either Tallow or Roanmore. If that happened, a win for Passage and Abbeyside would see them finish in 5th position (it's not really that unthinkable).

If Passage and Ballyduff won then Ballygunner, Abbeyside and Ballyduff would be level on 4 points a-piece. Head to head would not come into play in this instance and therefore scoring difference is the determinant. So, if say Ballyduff won by 4 and Ballygunner lost by 4, then Ballygunner would once again finish 5th.

Ballygunner could also finish 1st or 2nd. If they beat Lismore and Dungarvan and Abbeyside lose they will finish 1st. If they beat if they win, Abbeyside win and Passage beat Dungarvan, it will be scorind fiference to decide where Lismore, Ballygunner and Abbeyside finish.

A draw would also be interesting. It would give Lismore 7 points and them 5. If Passage won and Abbeyside drew there would be 4 teams level on points. If Dungarvan won, and Abbeyside won and BG drew, then it would be Lismore top, Dungarvan 2nd, Abbeyside 3rd and Ballygunner 4th.

So many different possibilities, and a lot of them are feasible.

It's an exciting time for Waterford hurling it must be said.

would i be right in saying. no more club games untill the 8th of august. ? is so :-( we have a long wait to see how they all fair out.

what time is throw in tonight?

i'm not 100% sure but i think its 7:30,or it could be 7 pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Best of luck to Waterford minors tonight. A win would be a massive boost

what time is throw in tonight?

i'm not 100% sure but i think its 7:30,or it could be 7 pm

7.30. Up here now.

is it on wlr ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

@ballyhea14 has updates on twitter for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not looking great early doors. 1-7 to 0-5

its mot live on wlr :( god dam it, being looking forward to this game all week

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not looking great early doors. 1-7 to 0-5

bad start to a game usually means a good finish :)

1-8 to 0-7 at HT with a couple of late saves by Sean Barry keeping us in it apparently. Hopefully we can make Tipp count the cost of those later

1-8 to 0-7 at half time. Had a good chance of a goal missed. Not going too bad but Tipp forwards look like they have more goals in them, getting through at pace fairly easily at times.

Early goal in second half for Tipp 2-9 to 0-7

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

KevIRL wrote: »
    Early goal in second half for Tipp 2-9 to 0-7

Feck

2-11 to 0-7 with 4 minutes gone in 2nd half. No chance now.

the eastern players are bloody much, hopefully we can pull it out the bag in the second half

Whats your problem woth the east man

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Game over lads were fecked

2-15 to 0-9 43minutes, no way back from that surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

the eastern players are bloody much, hopefully we can pull it out the bag in the second half

Whats your problem woth the east man

I think he's mountain lads arch nemesis. I am finding it slightly amusing though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement