Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Clare minors beat Limerick last night, that means Clare are through to the Munster Final and will at least have two more games this year. Even though we beat Clare in the first round our year is over, it would have been better for us to have lost our first game and take our chances in the qualifiers. Tipp look unstoppable but if Clare win as anything can happen in a final who knows. Win or lose it makes a joke out of our win up in Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Clare minors beat Limerick last night, that means Clare are through to the Munster Final and will at least have two more games this year. Even though we beat Clare in the first round our year is over, it would have been better for us to have lost our first game and take our chances in the qualifiers. Tipp look unstoppable but if Clare win as anything can happen in a final who knows. Win or lose it makes a joke out of our win up in Ennis.

I can never for the life of me understand this mindset. Will someone, sometime explain it to me. Often when you go though the back door you are facing into the unknown. Had we lost to Clare, we would have played Cork which would not have been easy.

In the championship to date, Clare have played three games, two of which ended in a draw, against Waterford and then last night against Limerick. Tipperary have played two games and won both games handy, first against Kerry and then against Waterford on Wednesday night. I wonder which team if any will keep their trend going in the Munster Final, ie. Will Clare see a third game end in a draw or will Tipperary for the third time have an easy enough win.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 newyork4sam

There were 2 players who were very poor and were taken off against Clare whilst both of them started again against Tipp and imo opinion they where nowhere near inter-county standard. I belive loyalty was a very strong reason for management retaining these players. By the way of the 4 that came in 3 of them would have started against Clare if it wasn't for injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford 1-7 to 0-7 behind in second half v Wicklow. Were 0-7 to 0-3 ahead in first half when Gary hurney got himself sent off for an off the ball incident

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waterford 1-7 to 0-7 behind in second half v Wicklow. Were 0-7 to 0-3 ahead in first half when Gary hurney got himself sent off for an off the ball incident

How many times has he got himself sent off at this stage for doing something stupid?

• Advertisement

Waterford ahead by 1 with 5 mins left

Wicklow level it 5 mins into injury time. Off to extra time we go

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twixaroo

There were 2 players who were very poor and were taken off against Clare whilst both of them started again against Tipp and imo opinion they where nowhere near inter-county standard. I belive loyalty was a very strong reason for management retaining these players. By the way of the 4 that came in 3 of them would have started against Clare if it wasn't for injury.

Of the 7 substitutions made over the course of the Clare game only 3 of those substitutes retained their place. Kieran Bennett, Shane Bennett and Darragh Flynn. Don't think the management had any viable options with the injury / illness that Tom Tobin has (was listed among the subs but was replaced on the bench before the game). Flynn had been a started last year and I think was the best option for the corner forward slot. Some of the forward options on the bench (excluding say Adam O'Sullivan who doesn't seem to have performed nearly as well as last year) were a bit lightweight for this Tipp team. Ryan Donnelly would have been a contender perhaps had he been with the panel for longer.

Not sure there was the management could have done tbh. No matter what Waterford team lined up against Tipp they would have been beaten such was the way the game panned out for Tipp. It's a pity this team has no chance to bounce back and prove some people in the county wrong but such is the nature of the minor championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wicklow level it 5 mins into injury time. Off to extra time we go

Listening to it here on East Coast FM if anyone is interested in it. Waterford will come up to 15 men for extra time at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Seized up in the injury time up there. Gary Hurney is the difference between those sides, with his experience I can't believe he was stupid enough to get involved in an off the ball with the linesman standing right next to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Waterford u14 girls won the all Ireland today...

The women will win more then the men ever will in this county...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Twixaroo wrote: »
    Of the 7 substitutions made over the course of the Clare game only 3 of those substitutes retained their place. Kieran Bennett, Shane Bennett and Darragh Flynn. Don't think the management had any viable options with the injury / illness that Tom Tobin has (was listed among the subs but was replaced on the bench before the game). Flynn had been a started last year and I think was the best option for the corner forward slot. Some of the forward options on the bench (excluding say Adam O'Sullivan who doesn't seem to have performed nearly as well as last year) were a bit lightweight for this Tipp team. Ryan Donnelly would have been a contender perhaps had he been with the panel for longer.

Not sure there was the management could have done tbh. No matter what Waterford team lined up against Tipp they would have been beaten such was the way the game panned out for Tipp. It's a pity this team has no chance to bounce back and prove some people in the county wrong but such is the nature of the minor championship.
    THERE IS ALWAYS ALOT the management can do' but they are to naive and not experienced enough to take on the county job ,was ray o brien involved in that shambolic set up ,sonny walsh panel last year ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

hurler on the ditch, why the chip on the shoulder. Maybe the management didn't pick you for the minor panel and you want to take revenge on here. Getting boring at this stage. Only ever heard good things about Joxer Burns and having taking part in a few of his training sessions in the alley in Ferrybank, i have always been impressed by him. Ray O Brien was not part of last years sonny walsh management team by the way. Time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

THERE IS ALWAYS ALOT the management can do' but they are to naive and not experienced enough to take on the county job ,was ray o brien involved in that shambolic set up ,sonny walsh panel last year ,

Clare beat Limerick in the other semi final last night. We beat Clare in Ennis in the first round remember and they turned around and have beaten Cork and Limerick so were not as far away as Wednesdays scoreline suggests. Time to knock this one on the head now and move on.

Lets just hope our u21s can spring some eternal hope

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Hslaw wrote: »
    Waterford u14 girls won the all Ireland today...

The women will win more then the men ever will in this county...lol

Congrats to the team an your daughter proud day for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Twixaroo wrote: »

Last years Sonny Walsh set up are this years Tony Forristal set up,

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Anyone hear of the result between Waterford and Galway this evening in Rathkeale

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

mouthinlad wrote: »
    i see where west waterford where unlucky against wicklow.. Some day, some day.

How about a cup of shut your mouth?

How can you say they were unlucky? Complete tripe coming from your mouth. I was at the game and they played well. Hurney deserved to be sent off. They drew in normal time. Wicklow bate them in ET.

How is it "unlucky"?

You are a sh1t stirrer.

hurler on the ditch, why the chip on the shoulder. Maybe the management didn't pick you for the minor panel and you want to take revenge on here. Getting boring at this stage. Only ever heard good things about Joxer Burns and having taking part in a few of his training sessions in the alley in Ferrybank, i have always been impressed by him. Ray O Brien was not part of last years sonny walsh management team by the way. Time to move on.
    chips i dont do ,no doubt doxer not joxer ,you might have meant to write jock strap im not sure ,anyway he [doxer] is a very good coach there is no doubting that ,and thats where he should concentrate ,management ?well i believe he should leave that to someone else he is NOT ABLE simple as, think i was a minor back in the eighties so its not revenge ,is it you are the minor who has limited ability and would like to arse lick your way into the panel,your still very young im guessing so when the next 20 years [and i use that term loosely ]passes and were still talking ,woulda, coulda, shoulda,and there is a great bunch of minors coming sure did,nt they get to the final of the tony forristal years ago,or sure there is still 6 of them lads minor next year and they got great experience tonight that 20 point beating will stand to them in the future ,straight talking is what i do ,its like asking Roy Keane for his opinion and listening to the answer in your own head, SAY WHAT YOU SEE ,

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Anyone hear of the result between Waterford and Galway this evening in Rathkeale

I heard we won 1-27 to 4-16 :) But that it was played Friday night?

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    I heard we won 1-27 to 4-16 :) But that it was played Friday night?
    YOUR RIGHT ABOUT SCORE any idea what team was out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

From Club Deise's Facebook page:

Mce Shanahan was great - 13pts (2 from play). Seamus 2pts, Mullane 2pts, T Ryan 3pts, Eoin Kelly 2pts, Eoin McGrath 1-0, Shane 1pt, O'Neill 1 pt, Gavin 1pt, Dean 2pts.

https://www.facebook.com/ClubDeiseTheWaterfordGaaSupportersClub

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

hardybuck wrote: »
    Seized up in the injury time up there. Gary Hurney is the difference between those sides, with his experience I can't believe he was stupid enough to get involved in an off the ball with the linesman standing right next to him.
    4 times in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Clare are in the minor hurling final....the minor set up is a pile of dung.

we lost one game and were out. Clare lose their first game and get a second chance...

Bo**ox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I just decided to book my holidays home to coincide with the first sunday in september, hope against hope,I think we can edge tipp just about (50/50 anyway) then if that happens,Cork should be no issue (most likely outcome) or maybe Dublin but don't think they will beat Clare,and we can't meet Clare again yet.

Bookies are giving Tipp +6 but I don't believe that for a second and think ourboys are looking so fresh they can take anyone right now.

We will see,anyhow looking forward to being Home again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

solarith wrote: »
    hardybuck wrote: »
    4 times in a year.[/Quote

4 times in a year post up the four times there please I'm pretty sure only Carlow and Wicklow since u seem to know it all

I just decided to book my holidays home to coincide with the first sunday in september, hope against hope,I think we can edge tipp just about (50/50 anyway) then if that happens,Cork should be no issue (most likely outcome) or maybe Dublin but don't think they will beat Clare,and we can't meet Clare again yet.

Bookies are giving Tipp +6 but I don't believe that for a second and think ourboys are looking so fresh they can take anyone right now.

We will see,anyhow looking forward to being Home again :-)

Youve been away too long I think. But shur who knows

Clare are in the minor hurling final....the minor set up is a pile of dung.

we lost one game and were out. Clare lose their first game and get a second chance...

Bo**ox

Thats how the ball rolls. Clare beat us in the first round in 09 we turned around and won Munster beating them in he semis

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Thats how the ball rolls. Clare beat us in the first round in 09 we turned around and won Munster beating them in he semis

Clare had to win two tough matches. If we'd have lost to Clare, there's no guarantee we'd have beaten both Cork and Limerick anyway. Bit unlucky to draw Tipp away but thats the luck of the draw some years it goes for you, sometimes it dosent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Mod Note: Right lads, calm down a bit. Attack the post, not the poster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement