Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    I know Im only joking but according to wiki Walsh Park has maximum capacity of 17'000 and Fraher 15,000, but I do fail to see where they get those figures from

When the Munster Under 21 Final was in Fraher Field a few years back, wasn't the capacity set at something just over 6,000 by the Health and Safety gang. You would however get in a bit more. I dont see how you could get 17,000 in Walsh Park. When the Munster Championship game between Waterford and Tipperary was played there in 1996, there was about 16,500 in the ground and it was fairly packed. Health and Safety I am sure would have brought down the number a bit since 1996.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Out of interest, why is Pairc Uí Chaoimh chosen ahead of the Gaelic Grounds for these matches anyway??

Frank Murphy.

Honestly, who wants to Limerick and its bottle necks along the way. At least places like Killeagh and Castlemarthyr while they are going to be hold ups they are wide villages and traffic will be moving even if its slow.

i think the qualifiers would of being a good route for this Waterford team..
    look at that young tipp team of 2010..
    cork knocked them out in the first round and they came back to win the AI, they had some great games in the qualifiers and were able to build a team from it

Did you ever hear that the shortest distance to any destination is in a straight line. In any counties case, that destination is to be in Croke Park in September, and to do that the best and easiest way is to go through winning your provincial final. You dont hear anyone in Kilkenny saying they should go through the qualifiers route and neither should we. Anyone that does want to go through the qualifiers i would have doubts about them and their interst/knowledge in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Has anyone said that the farce we caused about 2 years ago is probably a major factor in them not moving the game to Thurles? We changed the venue 2 years ago and when there was a backlash initially blamed the Munster council, until it emerged that we had requested the change.

Again this year, we agreed to Pairc Uí Caoimh for the final, but now we want to change it. I still think the Munster council should agree to Thurles, but I don't think we helped ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Out of interest, why is Pairc Uí Chaoimh chosen ahead of the Gaelic Grounds for these matches anyway??

I'd have no bother going to the gaelic grounds. Only for the crappy road to Limerick, infrastucturly its a nightmare for Waterford people from what i remember going their years ago. Nice stadium. Fine terraces.

• Advertisement

With regards to Clare/limerick games why cannot we plan to or make an home and away agreement with these teams in Munster? Like the crowds at the clare game in 2010 , limerick game 2011, clare game in 2012 where very poor, the attendances for the gaa are down... Like we played galway there in 2006 and put 14000 people into the sportsfield, and I remember the atmosphere was great... Like if we had an agreement with Clare and Limerick I think we would have done the following -

Played Limerick in gaelic grounds - 2009 (original attendance 25000)
    Played Limerick replay in sportsfields - 2009 (15000)
    Played Clare in Ennis - 2010 (11000)
    Played Limerick in gaelic grounds - 2011 (15000)
    Played Clare in sportsfields in 2012 (12000)

as it is the average attendance for these games held in a neutral venue was - 15600 (including the bigger attendance in Limerick in 2009, and attendances have dropped off since then)

I think because we played galway in the sportsfields in 2006, antrim in 2008 it shows it can be done.

A bit of foresight and forward planning would make it a goer, maybe get the city council to allow parking in the RSC, and Tesco Lisduggan to allow parking(maybe in return for a adevertising hoarding or something, try and keep costs down). its only a short walk, Close of access from 8am to 8pm to traffic encapsualting a radius from The Presentation school roundabout, the entrance to pine mews,the entrance to Musgraves, and the crossroads behind the town end terrace,(this would not affect residants access to their estates) this would mean that you could have a mini festival on the same day within the boundaries, set up a marquee, have a few food vans etc etc, it could be a real money spinner for the Waterford County board GAA....

It would also allow for proper crowd control

I think this way both county boards get a pay day and you cut out the neutral venue... also it brings a buzz around the place, the game sells out, local businesses get a little economic boom.... there are pubs close.. the park inn, paddy brownes, norrises and the pubs on barrack street....

This would work fine in my opinion for the next few years while attendances are low... It cuts out the major travel expenses for the fans when we are playing at home(giving the"id have to put petrol and feed meself and clothe meself" brigade nothing to give out about as the game would be local), while it would have the same effect for the Clare/Limerick fans when they play at home.

My bottom line is it would be better than playing in a half empty Thurles with one terrace closed and having to pay a neutral venue... The buzz generated would be important aswell... Like last week you'd swear that there wasn't a game on, wheras if it was in Walsh Park people would be looking forward to it..

Alos the money generated from this can be put towards concrenting the terraces and bringing it up to scratch in years to come......... County board could look at putting a bar under the stadium (there is plenty of space) get a club licence and make a few bob from that aswell.......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Black Suir wrote: »
    Honestly, who wants to Limerick and its bottle necks along the way. At least places like Killeagh and Castlemarthyr while they are going to be hold ups they are wide villages and traffic will be moving even if its slow.

Dont get me started on Tipp town :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 newyork4sam

Minor team v Tipp
    1 seanie Barry
    2 kieran Bennett
    3 tadhg Bourke
    4 Shane Bwnnett
    5 David O Brien
    6 Shane Mc Nulrty
    7 Kieran Power
    8 Colin Dunford
    9 Tom Devine
    10 D.J Foran
    11 Austin Gleeson
    12 Micheal Harney
    13 Stephen Bennett
    14 Brendan Phelan
    15 Darragh Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Hard look to Cathal Curran. What injury does he have.?

Besides Curran do we have any more absentees due to injury.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Hard look to Cathal Curran. What injury does he have.?

Besides Curran do we have any more absentees due to injury.?

Cian Leamy of Ballyduff Upper started v Clare but he's apparently in Australia but with Dunford back, he takes his place. David O'Brien also missed the Clare game, have heard good things about him. Glad to see Seanie Barry make it.

Good team, you know it must be decent when the likes of Adam O'Sullivan, Tom Tobin, Conor Murray, Niall Fives et al don't make the starting 15.
    Really looking forward to this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Here's an idea. Since we have no designated home ground for Munster championship hurling matches, why not just come to some agreement where Thurles is our designated home ground? That would prevent all this nonsense in the future

Ask the Tipp county board to cut us in on the ground cost,and that could be a winner for the big games

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-bid-to-switch-munster-final-away-from-scene-of-humiliation-is-turned-down-3150818.html

The article titled :Waterford bid to switch Munster final away from scene of humiliation is turned down

has some really choice snippets implying fear of Pairc Uí Caoimh and Tipp in general such as

"The Waterford hurling management are understood to have been behind the request to switch the game away from Pairc Ui Chaoimh, scene of Waterford's embarrassing seven-goal defeat to Tipperary in last year's decider."

"But so determined are Waterford to avoid playing Tipperary in Cork again that their Board sent a request to Munster Council yesterday to have the game switched to Semple Stadium in Thurles, Tipperary's home ground."

"Munster's CCC voted 8-2 to stick with Pairc Ui Chaoimh. That they even attempted to seek a change in this way surely gives Tipperary an added psychological advantage ahead of next month's clash."

The comments are flaring away and the reporter "Colm Keys" failed to mention how Semple is a better Venue as is the town .

A few more comments slating the reporter may make him think twice for presenting such allegations as fact again.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Cake Man wrote: »
    Cian Leamy of Ballyduff Upper started v Clare but he's apparently in Australia but with Dunford back, he takes his place. David O'Brien also missed the Clare game, have heard good things about him. Glad to see Seanie Barry make it.

Good team, you know it must be decent when the likes of Adam O'Sullivan, Tom Tobin, Conor Murray, Niall Fives et al don't make the starting 15.
    Really looking forward to this now.

Cheers for that.
    Will many travel up? How much is it into the stand.?

I'll be headin anway, fingers crossed we'll come out of thurles with a win.
    It would bring on these lads no end to be playing well in to August rather than your year finishing up in June.

I know its a bit early to say, but we will get any future Senior players from this years minor team.?

Assuming S bennet should make it if he has the interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If the Sportsfield is Walsh Park then I'd be totally opposed. Pitch is awful, always. I would hate to see a Munster Championship match played there, doesn't even look like a proper ground.

Limerick is a fine big pitch, but I don't mind not going down there. Parking was a bit of a nightmare and traffic in 2004, and both times I've been there we've been absolutely woeful. Also, it's on the dodgy side of Limerick or so I believe.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-bid-to-switch-munster-final-away-from-scene-of-humiliation-is-turned-down-3150818.html

The article titled :Waterford bid to switch Munster final away from scene of humiliation is turned down

has some really choice snippets implying fear of Pairc Uí Caoimh and Tipp in general such as

"The Waterford hurling management are understood to have been behind the request to switch the game away from Pairc Ui Chaoimh, scene of Waterford's embarrassing seven-goal defeat to Tipperary in last year's decider."

"But so determined are Waterford to avoid playing Tipperary in Cork again that their Board sent a request to Munster Council yesterday to have the game switched to Semple Stadium in Thurles, Tipperary's home ground."

"Munster's CCC voted 8-2 to stick with Pairc Ui Chaoimh. That they even attempted to seek a change in this way surely gives Tipperary an added psychological advantage ahead of next month's clash."

The comments are flaring away and the reporter "Colm Keys" failed to mention how Semple is a better Venue as is the town .

A few more comments slating the reporter may make him think twice for presenting such allegations as fact again.

Or he might right next week about how Waterford have nightmares about Lar Corbett chasing them down a long corridor, just so he can get some hits on the website and that people will buy the paper out of interest to ridicule what he says. Tabloid journalism from a member of the broadsheet fraternity. For shame.

By the way, thanks for adding the quotes. I'd be loath to go on the website and give them what they want after them featuring that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If the Sportsfield is Walsh Park then I'd be totally opposed. Pitch is awful, always. I would hate to see a Munster Championship match played there, doesn't even look like a proper ground.

Limerick is a fine big pitch, but I don't mind not going down there. Parking was a bit of a nightmare and traffic in 2004, and both times I've been there we've been absolutely woeful. Also, it's on the dodgy side of Limerick or so I believe.

Well I don't know about the road from Waterford tbh, but in general, parking and stuff like that has improved massively around the Gaelic Grounds.

And I wouldn't say it's on the dodgy side...it might be near enough to a dodgier part, but it's not itself.

We go in to the game tommorow night as slight underdogs. As team selections go there are a few surprises. I thought we were caught out a few times in the full back line against clare and the personnel has remained the same. I would question Austin Gleeson's positioning at CF as imo he's a natural back. We look solid in the middle third tho with plenty of big men and ball winners which hasn't been a charecteristic of recent minor teams, if the supply of ball is good into stephen bennett and the rest of the FF line we are more than capable of reaching a 4th sucessive munster final. NB Cathal Curran's pace will be a big loss to the forward line

that side of Limerick does not seem to b an issue for Munster rugby.

Anyway it was just an idea, would suit alot of people and would need alot of planning and some tweeks at walsh park

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know what you mean by the "dodgy" side of Limerick, I will assume that you meant that it's hard to get to, with the tunnel open now there's a ring road which makes it even easier to get to, past issues of getting to the ground should be eased now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

We go in to the game tommorow night as slight underdogs. As team selections go there are a few surprises. I thought we were caught out a few times in the full back line against clare and the personnel has remained the same. I would question Austin Gleeson's positioning at CF as imo he's a natural back. We look solid in the middle third tho with plenty of big men and ball winners which hasn't been a charecteristic of recent minor teams, if the supply of ball is good into stephen bennett and the rest of the FF line we are more than capable of reaching a 4th sucessive munster final. NB Cathal Curran's pace will be a big loss to the forward line

Id agree totally. I think its a bit weaker than the team that played Clare. Burke at fullback is a good call but the 2 corner backs were given a bit of a roasting and its strange that were persisting with them again, considering Tom Tobin played very well when he came on the last day. Cathal Curran and Cian Leamy are big losses aswell. Phelan at Full forward is a towering figure at least 6'4 Id say but that dosent gurantee anything at this level of hurling.

Best of luck to the lads but Ive a feeling were up against it big time tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Well I don't know about the road from Waterford tbh, but in general, parking and stuff like that has improved massively around the Gaelic Grounds.

And I wouldn't say it's on the dodgy side...it might be near enough to a dodgier part, but it's not itself.

The last couple times we were in limerick, 04 v Galway and 08 v Clare, the moaning and groaning about it was even worse than whats being said about Pairc Ui Caoimh at the moment. Were not happy with anything else other than Thurles and we cant have it all our own way so everyone should just accept it and move on now. Dont travel if you dont want to travel I'll be going ni matter where its on Up the Deise

The team to play Tipp is far stronger, colin Dunford, David O Brien and Brendan Phelan wer all part of last years panel and missed the clare game through injury whilst Gleeson has impressed for mt.sion this year. tom tobin is unlucky to lose out, i would like to see Ryan Donnelly introduced at sum stage as he has a real eye for goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

This sort of journalism is absolute trash at its very worst and doesn't really merit commenting on. It's about time some reputable journalist actually highlighted the safety threat that Pairc Ui Caoimh poses to fans as it is beyond a joke at this stage. Even Cork supporters make jokes about it in a regular basis and joke that the place won't be improved until one of the tunnels caves in. But no doubt it will be continue to be used in its current state until some accident occurs and the Munster Council will claim ignorance of the state of the place in the aftermath...
    Personally it suits me perfectly to have the game played there (live about 10 mins away) but I think that Semple Stadium is the only stadium capable of hosting a Munster final and it should be held there every year. I don't think fans or players are ultimately bothered about it being Tipp's 'home' ground and it is certainly better located and has a better atmosphere than the Pairc.

doz wrote: »
    This sort of journalism is absolute trash at its very worst and doesn't really merit commenting on. It's about time some reputable journalist actually highlighted the safety threat that Pairc Ui Caoimh poses to fans as it is beyond a joke at this stage. Even Cork supporters make jokes about it in a regular basis and joke that the place won't be improved until one of the tunnels caves in. But no doubt it will be continue to be used in its current state until some accident occurs and the Munster Council will claim ignorance of the state of the place in the aftermath...
    Personally it suits me perfectly to have the game played there (live about 10 mins away) but I think that Semple Stadium is the only stadium capable of hosting a Munster final and it should be held there every year. I don't think fans or players are ultimately bothered about it being Tipp's 'home' ground and it is certainly better located and has a better atmosphere than the Pairc.

As far as I am concerned it is munster nay the sport's home ground, no team should feel alienated there least of all waterford

The last couple times we were in limerick, 04 v Galway and 08 v Clare, the moaning and groaning about it was even worse than whats being said about Pairc Ui Caoimh at the moment. Were not happy with anything else other than Thurles and we cant have it all our own way so everyone should just accept it and move on now. Dont travel if you dont want to travel I'll be going ni matter where its on Up the Deise

I will too of course, but that doesn't change the fact that Páirc Uí Caoimh is a hazard and while they have a fine pitch there, I don't think it should be used until it's redeveloped. I would hope that people talking about casualties likely in the future are mistaken, but I have to say it seems things get worse there every game that's hosted. And it is not just Waterford fans that complain about it, Tipp fans, Kerry Fans even Cork Fans do. The space between the seats is ridiculously small. The tunnel is far to narrow. A couple of years ago, Kerry and Cork played and it was documented that it took over a half an hour to get through the turnstiles. When Tipp and Cork played in 2008, they let way too many people in to the terrace, and they had Cork fans behind the goal to avoid a crush. Think how dangerous that is, and there was people in wheelchairs out there which is even worse. Also, imagine if some idiot decided he didn't like the ref and attacked him, what would have happened then?

And that's not all, folks. On Sunday there were lots of complaints about the ineptitude of the stewards as they could not direct some fans to their seats. It's apparent that the description on the tickets didn't match what was there in the Grounds and some fans gave up and sat on the steps.

The place is an absolute disgrace, and I don't care how many it holds or how good the pitch is, it's one of the worst grounds in the Country and not fit for a Munster Final.
    Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by the "dodgy" side of Limerick, I will assume that you meant that it's hard to get to, with the tunnel open now there's a ring road which makes it even easier to get to, past issues of getting to the ground should be eased now.

I actually meant roughest. I heard down around there and Thomond is or is near some tough places. Not really an excuse for not having matches there though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Clareman wrote: »
    The main issue with going to it is that half way there you pass Semple. Why travel twice as far to go to an inferior stadium? Ditto with passing PuC on the way to Kerry if they were to put on a hurling match there. Semple and PuC are the only logical venues for Waterford in Munster hurling. And Semple is much better than PuC in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Ryan Donnelly introduced at sum stage as he has a real eye for goal

he's a fantastic little hurler.

Morte wrote: »
    The main issue with going to it is that half way there you pass Semple. Why travel twice as far to go to an inferior stadium? Ditto with passing PuC on the way to Kerry if they were to put on a hurling match there. Semple and PuC are the only logical venues for Waterford in Munster hurling. And Semple is much better than PuC in every way.

+ god knows how many, seriously declare semple as a home stadium do a deal for revenue sharing with tipp and establish home and away with limerick and cork ta feck

+ god knows how many, seriously declare semple as a home stadium do a deal for revenue sharing with tipp and establish home and away with limerick and cork ta feck

But then we'd still have to play in Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Absolutely, and Gaelic grounds should be declared Clares' stadium for Munster matches because its nearest to them. The current set up is seeing Tipp and Cork GAA(and Towns) earning extra revenue out of Waterford and Clare munster matches. Unfair

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement