Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Here's an idea. Since we have no designated home ground for Munster championship hurling matches, why not just come to some agreement where Thurles is our designated home ground? That would prevent all this nonsense in the future

Ask the Tipp county board to cut us in on the ground cost,and that could be a winner for the big games

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-bid-to-switch-munster-final-away-from-scene-of-humiliation-is-turned-down-3150818.html

The article titled :Waterford bid to switch Munster final away from scene of humiliation is turned down

has some really choice snippets implying fear of Pairc Uí Caoimh and Tipp in general such as

"The Waterford hurling management are understood to have been behind the request to switch the game away from Pairc Ui Chaoimh, scene of Waterford's embarrassing seven-goal defeat to Tipperary in last year's decider."

"But so determined are Waterford to avoid playing Tipperary in Cork again that their Board sent a request to Munster Council yesterday to have the game switched to Semple Stadium in Thurles, Tipperary's home ground."

"Munster's CCC voted 8-2 to stick with Pairc Ui Chaoimh. That they even attempted to seek a change in this way surely gives Tipperary an added psychological advantage ahead of next month's clash."

The comments are flaring away and the reporter "Colm Keys" failed to mention how Semple is a better Venue as is the town .

A few more comments slating the reporter may make him think twice for presenting such allegations as fact again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Cake Man wrote: »
    Cian Leamy of Ballyduff Upper started v Clare but he's apparently in Australia but with Dunford back, he takes his place. David O'Brien also missed the Clare game, have heard good things about him. Glad to see Seanie Barry make it.

Good team, you know it must be decent when the likes of Adam O'Sullivan, Tom Tobin, Conor Murray, Niall Fives et al don't make the starting 15.
    Really looking forward to this now.

Cheers for that.
    Will many travel up? How much is it into the stand.?

I'll be headin anway, fingers crossed we'll come out of thurles with a win.
    It would bring on these lads no end to be playing well in to August rather than your year finishing up in June.

I know its a bit early to say, but we will get any future Senior players from this years minor team.?

Assuming S bennet should make it if he has the interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If the Sportsfield is Walsh Park then I'd be totally opposed. Pitch is awful, always. I would hate to see a Munster Championship match played there, doesn't even look like a proper ground.

Limerick is a fine big pitch, but I don't mind not going down there. Parking was a bit of a nightmare and traffic in 2004, and both times I've been there we've been absolutely woeful. Also, it's on the dodgy side of Limerick or so I believe.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-bid-to-switch-munster-final-away-from-scene-of-humiliation-is-turned-down-3150818.html

The article titled :Waterford bid to switch Munster final away from scene of humiliation is turned down

has some really choice snippets implying fear of Pairc Uí Caoimh and Tipp in general such as

"The Waterford hurling management are understood to have been behind the request to switch the game away from Pairc Ui Chaoimh, scene of Waterford's embarrassing seven-goal defeat to Tipperary in last year's decider."

"But so determined are Waterford to avoid playing Tipperary in Cork again that their Board sent a request to Munster Council yesterday to have the game switched to Semple Stadium in Thurles, Tipperary's home ground."

"Munster's CCC voted 8-2 to stick with Pairc Ui Chaoimh. That they even attempted to seek a change in this way surely gives Tipperary an added psychological advantage ahead of next month's clash."

The comments are flaring away and the reporter "Colm Keys" failed to mention how Semple is a better Venue as is the town .

A few more comments slating the reporter may make him think twice for presenting such allegations as fact again.

Or he might right next week about how Waterford have nightmares about Lar Corbett chasing them down a long corridor, just so he can get some hits on the website and that people will buy the paper out of interest to ridicule what he says. Tabloid journalism from a member of the broadsheet fraternity. For shame.

By the way, thanks for adding the quotes. I'd be loath to go on the website and give them what they want after them featuring that rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If the Sportsfield is Walsh Park then I'd be totally opposed. Pitch is awful, always. I would hate to see a Munster Championship match played there, doesn't even look like a proper ground.

Limerick is a fine big pitch, but I don't mind not going down there. Parking was a bit of a nightmare and traffic in 2004, and both times I've been there we've been absolutely woeful. Also, it's on the dodgy side of Limerick or so I believe.

Well I don't know about the road from Waterford tbh, but in general, parking and stuff like that has improved massively around the Gaelic Grounds.

And I wouldn't say it's on the dodgy side...it might be near enough to a dodgier part, but it's not itself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 newyork4sam

We go in to the game tommorow night as slight underdogs. As team selections go there are a few surprises. I thought we were caught out a few times in the full back line against clare and the personnel has remained the same. I would question Austin Gleeson's positioning at CF as imo he's a natural back. We look solid in the middle third tho with plenty of big men and ball winners which hasn't been a charecteristic of recent minor teams, if the supply of ball is good into stephen bennett and the rest of the FF line we are more than capable of reaching a 4th sucessive munster final. NB Cathal Curran's pace will be a big loss to the forward line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

that side of Limerick does not seem to b an issue for Munster rugby.

Anyway it was just an idea, would suit alot of people and would need alot of planning and some tweeks at walsh park

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know what you mean by the "dodgy" side of Limerick, I will assume that you meant that it's hard to get to, with the tunnel open now there's a ring road which makes it even easier to get to, past issues of getting to the ground should be eased now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

We go in to the game tommorow night as slight underdogs. As team selections go there are a few surprises. I thought we were caught out a few times in the full back line against clare and the personnel has remained the same. I would question Austin Gleeson's positioning at CF as imo he's a natural back. We look solid in the middle third tho with plenty of big men and ball winners which hasn't been a charecteristic of recent minor teams, if the supply of ball is good into stephen bennett and the rest of the FF line we are more than capable of reaching a 4th sucessive munster final. NB Cathal Curran's pace will be a big loss to the forward line

Id agree totally. I think its a bit weaker than the team that played Clare. Burke at fullback is a good call but the 2 corner backs were given a bit of a roasting and its strange that were persisting with them again, considering Tom Tobin played very well when he came on the last day. Cathal Curran and Cian Leamy are big losses aswell. Phelan at Full forward is a towering figure at least 6'4 Id say but that dosent gurantee anything at this level of hurling.

Best of luck to the lads but Ive a feeling were up against it big time tomorrow night

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well I don't know about the road from Waterford tbh, but in general, parking and stuff like that has improved massively around the Gaelic Grounds.

And I wouldn't say it's on the dodgy side...it might be near enough to a dodgier part, but it's not itself.

The last couple times we were in limerick, 04 v Galway and 08 v Clare, the moaning and groaning about it was even worse than whats being said about Pairc Ui Caoimh at the moment. Were not happy with anything else other than Thurles and we cant have it all our own way so everyone should just accept it and move on now. Dont travel if you dont want to travel I'll be going ni matter where its on Up the Deise

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 newyork4sam

The team to play Tipp is far stronger, colin Dunford, David O Brien and Brendan Phelan wer all part of last years panel and missed the clare game through injury whilst Gleeson has impressed for mt.sion this year. tom tobin is unlucky to lose out, i would like to see Ryan Donnelly introduced at sum stage as he has a real eye for goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

This sort of journalism is absolute trash at its very worst and doesn't really merit commenting on. It's about time some reputable journalist actually highlighted the safety threat that Pairc Ui Caoimh poses to fans as it is beyond a joke at this stage. Even Cork supporters make jokes about it in a regular basis and joke that the place won't be improved until one of the tunnels caves in. But no doubt it will be continue to be used in its current state until some accident occurs and the Munster Council will claim ignorance of the state of the place in the aftermath...
    Personally it suits me perfectly to have the game played there (live about 10 mins away) but I think that Semple Stadium is the only stadium capable of hosting a Munster final and it should be held there every year. I don't think fans or players are ultimately bothered about it being Tipp's 'home' ground and it is certainly better located and has a better atmosphere than the Pairc.

doz wrote: »
    This sort of journalism is absolute trash at its very worst and doesn't really merit commenting on. It's about time some reputable journalist actually highlighted the safety threat that Pairc Ui Caoimh poses to fans as it is beyond a joke at this stage. Even Cork supporters make jokes about it in a regular basis and joke that the place won't be improved until one of the tunnels caves in. But no doubt it will be continue to be used in its current state until some accident occurs and the Munster Council will claim ignorance of the state of the place in the aftermath...
    Personally it suits me perfectly to have the game played there (live about 10 mins away) but I think that Semple Stadium is the only stadium capable of hosting a Munster final and it should be held there every year. I don't think fans or players are ultimately bothered about it being Tipp's 'home' ground and it is certainly better located and has a better atmosphere than the Pairc.

As far as I am concerned it is munster nay the sport's home ground, no team should feel alienated there least of all waterford

The last couple times we were in limerick, 04 v Galway and 08 v Clare, the moaning and groaning about it was even worse than whats being said about Pairc Ui Caoimh at the moment. Were not happy with anything else other than Thurles and we cant have it all our own way so everyone should just accept it and move on now. Dont travel if you dont want to travel I'll be going ni matter where its on Up the Deise

I will too of course, but that doesn't change the fact that Páirc Uí Caoimh is a hazard and while they have a fine pitch there, I don't think it should be used until it's redeveloped. I would hope that people talking about casualties likely in the future are mistaken, but I have to say it seems things get worse there every game that's hosted. And it is not just Waterford fans that complain about it, Tipp fans, Kerry Fans even Cork Fans do. The space between the seats is ridiculously small. The tunnel is far to narrow. A couple of years ago, Kerry and Cork played and it was documented that it took over a half an hour to get through the turnstiles. When Tipp and Cork played in 2008, they let way too many people in to the terrace, and they had Cork fans behind the goal to avoid a crush. Think how dangerous that is, and there was people in wheelchairs out there which is even worse. Also, imagine if some idiot decided he didn't like the ref and attacked him, what would have happened then?

And that's not all, folks. On Sunday there were lots of complaints about the ineptitude of the stewards as they could not direct some fans to their seats. It's apparent that the description on the tickets didn't match what was there in the Grounds and some fans gave up and sat on the steps.

The place is an absolute disgrace, and I don't care how many it holds or how good the pitch is, it's one of the worst grounds in the Country and not fit for a Munster Final.
    Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by the "dodgy" side of Limerick, I will assume that you meant that it's hard to get to, with the tunnel open now there's a ring road which makes it even easier to get to, past issues of getting to the ground should be eased now.

I actually meant roughest. I heard down around there and Thomond is or is near some tough places. Not really an excuse for not having matches there though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Clareman wrote: »
    The main issue with going to it is that half way there you pass Semple. Why travel twice as far to go to an inferior stadium? Ditto with passing PuC on the way to Kerry if they were to put on a hurling match there. Semple and PuC are the only logical venues for Waterford in Munster hurling. And Semple is much better than PuC in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Ryan Donnelly introduced at sum stage as he has a real eye for goal

he's a fantastic little hurler.

Morte wrote: »
    The main issue with going to it is that half way there you pass Semple. Why travel twice as far to go to an inferior stadium? Ditto with passing PuC on the way to Kerry if they were to put on a hurling match there. Semple and PuC are the only logical venues for Waterford in Munster hurling. And Semple is much better than PuC in every way.

+ god knows how many, seriously declare semple as a home stadium do a deal for revenue sharing with tipp and establish home and away with limerick and cork ta feck

+ god knows how many, seriously declare semple as a home stadium do a deal for revenue sharing with tipp and establish home and away with limerick and cork ta feck

But then we'd still have to play in Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Absolutely, and Gaelic grounds should be declared Clares' stadium for Munster matches because its nearest to them. The current set up is seeing Tipp and Cork GAA(and Towns) earning extra revenue out of Waterford and Clare munster matches. Unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

But then we'd still have to play in Cork?

But not as often!

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Absolutely, and Gaelic grounds should be declared Clares' stadium for Munster matches because its nearest to them. The current set up is seeing Tipp and Cork GAA(and Towns) earning extra revenue out of Waterford and Clare munster matches. Unfair

Make an arrangment where they get the opening cost plus a bit extra, Waterford get the rest ,its not fair but life is not fair ,neither is capitalism,you got a problem with it ,bring it up with our non-existant unified county board,oh thats right,they quibbled about how to rearrange the deckchairs until the funding was gone to make our own stadium.

Time to make the best of a bad situation

while were on the subject best to limit the Paircto 30k for safety reasons and ignore the place outside of football and league matches,the place is not fit for an under 8's Junior B competition.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-blame-cork-facilities-for-switch-plea-3151576.html

Waterford blame Cork facilities for switch plea

A much more fair article (by a different Journalist) thn the muck put up yesterday.

I am glad they learned their lesson.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't forget that Clare have to pass the Gaelic Grounds every time they play away from Cusack Park as well :) I do agree that the Gaelic Grounds is very very close to Clare, in fact for a lot of the players now it's a lot easier to get to the Gaelic Grounds. I would say as well that there isn't a huge difference in time from the turnoff for Thurles to get to Semple than to The Gaelic Grounds.

In regards to the "dodgy side", the Ennis Road in Limerick would be 1 of the nicer/better areas of the city, Moyross and a few other of the "dodgy" estates would be in other areas, behind Thomond Park and other areas.

or maybe the teams in west Waterford are after getting better.. ?

• Advertisement

or maybe the teams in west Waterford are after getting better.. ?

agreed, I don't think the east is getting worse per say, like de la salle are still brill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

mouthinlad wrote: »
    I think its been a poor showing from some the city teams this year in the championship... quality is gone way down in the east.

I think since hurling has become more popular and successful in Waterford over the past 10-15 years, more and more traditionally football areas in the west have been putting more focus on hurling. Clubs like FMW, Ardmore and Stradbally would be a good example of the the last few years.

Despite all that, I think the title will remain in the city again this year. DLS are in explosive form, when has a county finalist last been beaten by over 20 points in the following season like what happened to Tallow!? Ballygunner will have O'Sullivan back and Mahony back for the knock out stages as well, and should challenge again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Ryan Donnelly introduced at sum stage as he has a real eye for goal

he's a fantastic little hurler.

He's a sound lad too. Hoping to see him get on tonight.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Clubs like FMW, Ardmore and Stradbally would be a good example of the the last few years.

Yeah I would have thought there was a title in fourmile at this stage, they'l probably sh*t the bag as usual

I think since hurling has become more popular and successful in Waterford over the past 10-15 years, more and more traditionally football areas in the west have been putting more focus on hurling. Clubs like FMW, Ardmore and Stradbally would be a good example of the the last few years.

Despite all that, I think the title will remain in the city again this year. DLS are in explosive form, when has a county finalist last been beaten by over 20 points in the following season like what happened to Tallow!? Ballygunner will have O'Sullivan back and Mahony back for the knock out stages as well, and should challenge again.

any chance of sully coming back for the tipp match.?

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    He's a sound lad too. Hoping to see him get on tonight.

i don't know him personally.

but from what i hear he is a really sound fella, lovely little hurler too.
    and has a great eye for goals.

we'll need every player we have to get the win tonight..

Noted but when has a County Finalist been as bad as Tallow, ever? Well worth remembering that they were hammered by Ballygunner twice last year.

The thing is, it is hard to say that they'll both be challenging given we don't know how the draw will pan out. If Ballygunner come 3rd they'll meet De La Salle, and that's one gone. Equally if they come 4th, either themselves or Fourmile will be gone at the quarter final stage as well. There's still a chance Ballygunner might not make the quarters. If they were playing anybody other than Lismore in the last game I'd be sure they would, but they could beat them, especially since Mahony and the O'Sullivans will not be back very long.

Group 1 is incredibly interesting with all the permutations it has:

Team Points Score Diff

Lismore 6 +9

Dungarvan 5 +10

Ballygunner 4 -3

Abbeyside 4 -1

Passage 3 -5

Ballyduff Upper 2 -10

Lismore v Ballygunner, Passage v Dungarvan, Abbeyside v Ballyduff Upper

Lismore are qualified but may yet rue there draws with Passage and Abbeyside. If they were to beat Ballygunner they would finish 1st, and most likely face either Tallow or Roanmore. If that happened, a win for Passage and Abbeyside would see them finish in 5th position (it's not really that unthinkable).

If Passage and Ballyduff won then Ballygunner, Abbeyside and Ballyduff would be level on 4 points a-piece. Head to head would not come into play in this instance and therefore scoring difference is the determinant. So, if say Ballyduff won by 4 and Ballygunner lost by 4, then Ballygunner would once again finish 5th.

Ballygunner could also finish 1st or 2nd. If they beat Lismore and Dungarvan and Abbeyside lose they will finish 1st. If they beat if they win, Abbeyside win and Passage beat Dungarvan, it will be scorind fiference to decide where Lismore, Ballygunner and Abbeyside finish.

A draw would also be interesting. It would give Lismore 7 points and them 5. If Passage won and Abbeyside drew there would be 4 teams level on points. If Dungarvan won, and Abbeyside won and BG drew, then it would be Lismore top, Dungarvan 2nd, Abbeyside 3rd and Ballygunner 4th.

So many different possibilities, and a lot of them are feasible.

It's an exciting time for Waterford hurling it must be said.

would i be right in saying. no more club games untill the 8th of august. ? is so :-( we have a long wait to see how they all fair out.

what time is throw in tonight?

i'm not 100% sure but i think its 7:30,or it could be 7 pm

Best of luck to Waterford minors tonight. A win would be a massive boost

what time is throw in tonight?

i'm not 100% sure but i think its 7:30,or it could be 7 pm

7.30. Up here now.

is it on wlr ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

@ballyhea14 has updates on twitter for anyone interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not looking great early doors. 1-7 to 0-5

its mot live on wlr :( god dam it, being looking forward to this game all week

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not looking great early doors. 1-7 to 0-5

bad start to a game usually means a good finish :)

1-8 to 0-7 at HT with a couple of late saves by Sean Barry keeping us in it apparently. Hopefully we can make Tipp count the cost of those later

1-8 to 0-7 at half time. Had a good chance of a goal missed. Not going too bad but Tipp forwards look like they have more goals in them, getting through at pace fairly easily at times.

Early goal in second half for Tipp 2-9 to 0-7

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

KevIRL wrote: »
    Early goal in second half for Tipp 2-9 to 0-7

Feck

2-11 to 0-7 with 4 minutes gone in 2nd half. No chance now.

the eastern players are bloody much, hopefully we can pull it out the bag in the second half

Whats your problem woth the east man

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Game over lads were fecked

2-15 to 0-9 43minutes, no way back from that surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

the eastern players are bloody much, hopefully we can pull it out the bag in the second half

Whats your problem woth the east man

I think he's mountain lads arch nemesis. I am finding it slightly amusing though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement