Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Someone just nominated me for this ice bucket thingamajig. what ever happened to simple auld donations?

They died with the internet.

It's no longer acceptable to donate privately. You need to make a song and dance about it, do some ridiculous stunt, and say "Hey! Look at me! I'm great! I'm great! I donated to charity! Woooooo! #imgreat #donation #totallynotjustdoingthisforlikes"

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

pajor wrote: »
    I went all out on my curiosity. Official website and all. :P

CIDX2VU.jpg?1

nh9FIcw.gif

:pac: :D

I got sorted into Hufflepuff too back in the day, didn't know whether to be happy about it or not :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I got sorted into Hufflepuff too back in the day, didn't know whether to be happy about it or not :L

As you can see from the GIF, I'm not. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    IMO Slytherin were portrayed very badly in the books. I mean, are we really to believe that every single Slytherin was a supporter of Voldemort? How do we that, had Professor McGonagall not callously banished them from the castle during The Battle of Hogwarts, they wouldn't have proved an integral part in the battle? Perhaps fewer people would have died.

Also, as soon as children are sorted into Slytherin, they are ostracised by pretty much 3/4 of the school. I mean, that's a pretty despicable way to treat 11 year old children.

There are so many plot holes in the HP series it genuinely annoys me. Also, it's implied by Rowling that Umbridge was gang raped by the Centaurs. It's a book aimed at children for Christ sake.

pajor wrote: »
    As you can see from the GIF, I'm not. :p

They are kinda almost the 'filler' people in my opinion, which I was a bit offended by not going to lie :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Macavity. wrote: »
    There are so many plot holes in the HP series it genuinely annoys me. Also, it's implied by Rowling that Umbridge was gang raped by the Centaurs. It's a book aimed at children for Christ sake.
    .........I never assumed that

I prefered to think that they just frwaked her out with some voodoo centuar dance......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The centaurs generally considered humans to be far, far beneath them, I really don't think they would have stooped so low tbh! :pac:

EDIT: Aw man, I decided to google this, and in Greek mythology centaurs were well known for being, ermm, fond of rape. Well that's thrown the whole thing into a more disturbing light.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I prefered to think that they just frwaked her out with some voodoo centuar dance......

If only.

In mythology Centaurs rape human women, JK.R could have used any other creature but chose Centaurs. Umbridge was also really disturbed when she featured later in the series.

Also, what's the deal with the house elves and slave labour laws? Why couldn't Harry see the Thestrals earlier on? He had seen Lily die for god sake!! He has recurring dreams about it!! :( :pac:

Also, for the Triwizard Tournament a large crowd paid for tickets to watch whatever event was going to be held, yet, one of the tasks involves going into water (where nobody can see) and the other consists of going into a maze (where nobody can see). Imagine paying for that? :confused: I'd be asking for my money back is all I'm saying.

They are kinda almost the 'filler' people in my opinion, which I was a bit offended by not going to lie :cool:

I think the deal breaker is the question 'how would you want to be known?'

The Good
    The Great
    The Wise
    The (something Slytherin)

After a moment's thought I may have gone for the first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I always assumed Harry didn't actually see his mother die. I assumed he was in his crib, perhaps staring at the ceiling.

I believe that with the Triwizard Tournament task was a bit like F1 racing. People wanted to see how the champions would tackle the task, so at the beginning they'd have seen Krum perform the sharkhead thing and Harry eat the gillyweed, and then would have been waiting for the finale. I would also suggest that there was commentary on the event, so they'd have spent time explaining the different approaches.

Not everything needs to be explicitly explained to us. :P

He definitely saw her die because she tried to use her body as a shield, no? Maybe he blinked just as it happened or was too young to comprehend what was happening. :pac:

I love that everyone here loves Harry Potter.

I think an file may be an exception :p

*awkward turtle*

I love that everyone here loves Harry Potter.

Maybe not.
    I only read 5 of the books.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Do I or do I not ban Harry Potter haters....hmm. I love those books so much it's slightly scary.

He definitely saw her die because she tried to use her body as a shield, no? Maybe he blinked just as it happened or was too young to comprehend what was happening. :pac:

Exactly it tbh, seeing death does not make you understand what it is! Another plot hole that's been brought up before is that Harry couldn't see thestrals at the end of GOF when the carriages presumably brought them back to the Hogwarts Express, which is a little bit harder to defend, I think in an interview of some sort JK Rowling said that to see them you had to let the death sink in first (bit of a cop-out tbf but we'll let her off with it :pac:, it's not like there'd be any point in just dangling the existence of thestrals uselessly in front of readers at the end of a book).

Just HP nerding it up. I don't use Pottermore at all really but back in the day I was sorted into Hufflepuff, refuse to put much stock in that though tbh, I think I'd definitely be a Ravenclaw. :P

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Do I or do I not ban Harry Potter haters....hmm. I love those books so much it's slightly scary.

There was a point where I just stopped caring.

h54BAFFF3

kewQKbl.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

This is where I need gifs from Shake It Off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I think a certain amount of plot hole forgiveness is neccessary when it comes to books aimed at pre-teens

• Advertisement

I think a certain amount of plot hole forgiveness is neccessary when it comes to books aimed at pre-teens

Dat time turnner tho :pac:

More like a mind f*ck than a plot hole, especially in the film.

You mean that super useful, day saving item that was introduced and forgotten about immediately?

You mean that super useful, day saving item that was introduced and forgotten about immediately.

Well it was used ib order to help a 13 year old girl attend some extra classes during the day but not to prevent voldermorts horrendous acts of evil

I can't follow time travel in other movies because I assume it works the same way as in HP which it doesn't of course. They can't be seen because they've already been wherever because they've done it so why do they hide all the time? I get so confused about the whole thing.. I don't even think what I wrote there makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I think a re-read of the books is in order! I marathoned the movies a few months back but so much is left out I think a re-read is justified.

Slow Show wrote: »
    I don't use Pottermore at all really but back in the day I was sorted into Hufflepuff, refuse to put much stock in that though tbh, I think I'd definitely be a Ravenclaw. :P

I got Gryffindor, but I really wanted Slytherin. I just think Gryffindor are such goodie goods, they think they're all so great and noble! :o:p

The fact Slytherin were the "old money" house always bothered me more than the whole racial supremity aspect.

Bloody rich people.

I can't follow time travel in other movies because I assume it works the same way as in HP which it doesn't of course. They can't be seen because they've already been wherever because they've done it so why do they hide all the time? I get so confused about the whole thing.. I don't even think what I wrote there makes sense.

But that's the whole reason that they can't be seen, because they're hiding, if they didn't hide then they *could* have been seen and the whole scenario would have been insanity-inducing. Yes, serious mindf*ck though.

• Advertisement

I dunno.if you live in a world of magic, monsters and mythical creatures and you come across yourself in your day to day you might just assume "oh we can travel in time too!?"

Advertisement