Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Well it was used ib order to help a 13 year old girl arguably the brightest witch of her generation attend some extra classes during the day but not to prevent voldermorts horrendous acts of evil

FYP there.

I think Dumbledore knew they'd need it tbh. I also think that Time Turners are in the category of the Unforgivable Curses - that is, probably very useful for fighting Voldemort, but potentially too destructive to justify using. Remember, the wizarding world is a, by and large, civilised place. It's not like America who'll justify any sort of despicable sh*te just to win. :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Still think it was stupid giving it to Hermione so she could attend a muggle studies class but not prevent murders.

And what would happen if Death Eaters got their hands on one? Dumbledore had to pull some serious strings to get it for Hermione, no doubt aided by the fact that it would be locked up safely in Hogwarts. Having Aurors out there in the wild with them is way too risky. I mean all it would take is one death Eater to get their hands on it for a minute and they could go back to July 30 whatever year Harry was born and massacre Lily and James.

ARGUE WITH THAT!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And what would happen if Death Eaters got their hands on one? Dumbledore had to pull some serious strings to get it for Hermione, no doubt aided by the fact that it would be locked up safely in Hogwarts. Having Aurors out there in the wild with them is way too risky. I mean all it would take is one death Eater to get their hands on it for a minute and they could go back to July 30 whatever year Harry was born and massacre Lily and James.

ARGUE WITH THAT!

Also they were mentioned at the start of book six, because Harry and the rest of them *accidentally* destroyed the Ministry's whole supply of them during their little escapade.

I reckon they're some serious magic, because from that section they basically say that it takes an age for them to even be made. Like, the polyjuice potion takes a month, and that only lasts an hour. You're probably looking at years for a timeturner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

ARGUE WITH THAT!

mI7X1Q2.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

http://imgur.com/gallery/pyLJR

Hehe, for those of you who watch Parks and Recreations and also like Harry Potter :D

• Advertisement

Easy. Hogwarts didnt own it. The ministry did. You just need 1 trusted person to alter the past forever....not handing it out to every tom dick or harry. If you were given a time turner tomorrow would you goback to the past and prevent Hitlers rise to power or go back to your teenage years and study an extra subject for your junior cert

Slightly OT but if Hitler didn't do it someone sure as sh*t would have done it somewhere else in the world. It also allowed us to prevent history from repeating itself. We must learn from our mistakes!

That said, mitigating the damage would have been no harm :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Biggest plot hole of all - Ron marrying Hermione. :pac:

Macavity. wrote: »
    Biggest plot hole of all - Ron marrying Hermione. :pac:

Totally agree.

I do believe JK said that was a mistake and she now wishes that it had been Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Totally agree.

I do believe JK said that was a mistake and she now wishes that it had been Harry.

She did indeed. She admits they were desperately unsuited for eachother and would've needed marraige counselling. She was hung up at the time about the underdog thing.

Then again it was a series of 7 books all over 100 pages long (most were well over) theres bound to be a few imperfections

Yeah, "a few". *cough*

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Mistakes_in_the_Harry_Potter_books

• Advertisement

Ahem.....the rwanda genocide. I knew that would be your comeback :P

Exactly. Plot hole. Then again it was a series of 7 books all over 100 pages long (most were well over) theres bound to be a few imperfections

I too, expected such a comeback :P But I meant rather then the genocide aspect the whole World War aspect. At the very least it made countries far more wary etc. The political indifference displayed by Chamberlain as regards to Hitler prior to WWII was madness.

To be fair most of them are like this.

"The boa constrictor at the Zoo winked at Harry during their conversation. As snakes don't have eyelids, it is impossible for them to blink, for their eyes are protected by transparent scales."

I mean ffs, who cares, it's a a magical snake I don't care if it has eyelids :rolleyes: :P

To be fair most of them are like this.

"The boa constrictor at the Zoo winked at Harry during their conversation. As snakes don't have eyelids, it is impossible for them to blink, for their eyes are protected by transparent scales."

I mean ffs, who cares, it's a a magical snake I don't care if it has eyelids :rolleyes: :P

The snake was not magical.

Oh f*ck off. Ron and Hermione were way more suited to each other than half the couples in those books.

Oh f*ck off. Ron and Hermione were way more suited to each other than half the couples in those books.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you :P

My reasoning?

I want to marry Hermoine :(:(:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

From the time I had my first Harry Potter lego set it was Harry/Hermione for me. Although I get the whole Ginny thing, she was fecked over by the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I was actually discussing this with my friend the other day lol, Ginny was grand in the books, but she is just cringe-worthy in the movies. I don't think it's really any fault of the actress's either, she was just a terribly-written character and I don't know how anyone who didn't read the books could have any belief in her and Harry somehow being in love.

It should have been Harry and Hermione tbf, I imagine JK saw Ron and Hermione as endgame from the beginning and, despite the plot and characters developing to a point where this wouldn't really be possible in the real world, faithfully kept to that. It reminds me of the series finale of HIMYM now that I think of it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

This ^^^

As opposed to who?
    Harry and Hermione

Ginny always came across as soo boring. I like to think that Harry eventually had some sort of mid life crisis where he really questioned their marriage.

• Advertisement

I don't see why Ron was any less deserving than Harry. Ron had his flaws but so did Harry.

Ginger.

The snake was not magical.

Really?! I could swear it had at least some magical properties. Well, it had eyelashes, surely that is evidence in itself :P

Actually now that I think of it wasn't there some theory that the snake was Nagini or am I just way off here? Seems a bit far fetched alright. Although Voldemort would have been V weak at that time so no funky sh*t would have went down.

I don't see why Ron was any less deserving than Harry. Ron had his flaws but so did Harry.

It's not that he didn't deserve her or some kind of thing about about the under dog getting the girl and hooray for him. It's more that they were totally wrong for each other as JK said herself.

That said, fair f*cks to him for pulling it off :pac:

Really?! I could swear it had at least some magical properties. Well, it had eyelashes, surely that is evidence in itself :P

I thought it was just a normal snake, Harry could talk to it because he's Parseltongue, like he can talk to all snakes. It's been awhile since I read the books tbh. :o

It's not that he didn't deserve her or some kind of thing about about the under dog getting the girl and hooray for him. It's more that they were totally wrong for each other as JK said herself.

That said, fair f*cks to him for pulling it off :pac:

Can someone explain to me how they were "totally wrong for each other"?

I thought from about book 3 that they would end up together.

The Ginny-Harry thing was a bit meh, but I just can't see how Hermione-Harry would make sense....

Can someone explain to me how they were "totally wrong for each other"?

I'm wondering the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So lads any parties happeneing when college starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Jhcx wrote: »
    So lads any parties happeneing when college starts?
    Freshers week will take care of that :P

• Advertisement

I intend to not be sober for about 2 weeks come Friday. :D

Advertisement