Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mary Lou seems to forget that Hamas are the equivalent of the IRA bastards that caused havoc on this island for 30 years. Birds of a feather and all that.

Your right, why don't people lie down and get murdered in silence by countries that invade them and take their land, I can never understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Oh Lord! Susan Phillips is hardly impartial.

Neither is Vinnie, in all fairness, considering he took a cheap shot at Judaism there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nice slip of the words by Vinny on FG/SF - they are united in their opposition to abortion.

Neither is Vinnie, in all fairness, considering he took a cheap shot at Judaism there.

Nothing got to do with religion he's critising the stealing of land and murder by the Israeli state.

Your right, why don't people lie down and get murdered in silence by countries that invade them and take their land, I can never understand that.

Yes, and why don't the Israelis just lie down and take those rocket attacks from Hamas? :rolleyes:

Hamas know full well that if they send one rocket into Israel, the Israelis will respond tenfold. It's pretty obvious that Hamas are fomenting anti-Israeli sentiment. In fact, the cynic in me might think that Hamas are doing this deliberately so that the Israelis will retaliate by killing innocent Palestinians who are caught in the crossfire.

Why do so many Irish people look upon the Middle East situation in black and white terms, ie Israel=Monsters, Palestine/Hamas=Saints?

It's a hell of a lot more complex than that simplistic nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why do so many Irish people look upon the Middle East situation in black and white terms, ie Israel=Monsters, Palestine/Hamas=Saints?

They're as bad as each other in fairness. What most people have a problem with is Israel's disproportionate and indiscriminate response.

Yes, and why don't the Israelis just lie down and take those rocket attacks from Hamas? :rolleyes:

Hamas know full well that if they send one rocket into Israel, the Israelis will respond tenfold. It's pretty obvious that Hamas are fomenting anti-Israeli sentiment. In fact, the cynic in me might think that Hamas are doing this deliberately so that the Israelis will retaliate by killing innocent Palestinians who are caught in the crossfire.

True but if Israel gave back the Palestinians land and stopping treating Gaza like a refugee camp it would help, I equally despise Hamas but even if they were wiped out the Palestinians will always rightly fight for their freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've yet to see encounter any Irish people who look upon Hamas as being "saints".

Seems to be quite a few (usually very right-wing) Irish people who consistently refuse to criticise Israel though...

RayM wrote: »

I've yet to see encounter any Irish people who look upon Hamas as being "saints".

Seems to be quite a few (usually very right-wing) Irish people who consistently refuse to criticise Israel though...

Israel should withdraw to pre 1967 borders and then if Islamic extremists like Hamas continue to attack them I'd support them wiping Hamas out. Its all just a matter of fair play.

RayM wrote: »

I'm far from right wing, my friend.

Answer me this? How come I've yet to see ANYBODY in the Irish media criticise Hamas? After all, they do govern the Gaza Strip, elected by the majority of Palestinians. People are very quick to bandy about "State sponsored terrorism" when it comes to Israel but strangely enough, not when it comes to the Palestinians :rolleyes:

As I said already, Hamas know full well that if they strike Israel, the Israelis will strike back tenfold. Think about it.

• Advertisement

Answer me this? How come I've yet to see ANYBODY in the Irish media criticise Hamas? After all, they do govern the Gaza Strip, elected by the majority of Palestinians. People are very quick to bandy about "State sponsored terrorism" when it comes to Israel but strangely enough, not when it comes to the Palestinians :rolleyes:

As I said already, Hamas know full well that if they strike Israel, the Israelis will strike back tenfold. Think about it.

You don't mind Israel ignoring more resolutions from the UN to withdraw from peoples land than any other Country ever then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/robert-fisk-opening-the-gates-of-hell-and-40-years-of-other-middle-east-cliches-3297149.html

He's not getting into the rights and wrong of this ongoing war, he's pointing out the hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Saturday's Irish Times editorial criticised Hamas. You'll certainly struggle to find anybody in the Irish media defending them. Israel, on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The days of religious people projecting their morals on other people in this country are over, if you don't want abortion even if it leads to your death that's your choice but no.more imposing those views on everyone else

I agree with you and I think that most people, particularly those of us who are young adults, would not let the church have any influence on our vote, if an abortion referendum was held tomorrow.

The motion brought forward by SF was utterly nonsensical. Nothing more than some grade 'A' tabloid politicking to get some media time for the party.

Hamas knew exactly what they were doing. They have been firing rockets into Israel for months now and Israel got sick of it. Once Israel started their action, Palestine and its supporters started looking to the rest of the world for sympathy.

Not surprised that Mary Lou supports Palestine at all. She probably thinks that Israel should stand back and let Hamas fire rockets all day long. I think that Israel should halt its action too and let neutral observers in to monitor activity in the region. I hope I am wrong but I think a significant war will erupt in that region soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Great line from Ming.
    Archbishop McQauids crozier is around Enda Kenny's neck!

Fair play to ya Ming! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ming is always worth watching on this show.

There's no right winger on tonight - meaning less entertainment.

I wouldn't be surprised if James Reily steps down over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Great line from Ming.

Fair play to ya Ming! :D

I think it was a cheap, attention seeking soundbite.

I don't think Enda Kenny is bethrothed to anyone in the Catholic Church.

His actions are a combination of political cowardice and poor judgement, nothing to do with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Skid wrote: »

His actions are a combination of political cowardice and poor judgement, nothing to do with religion.

Maybe Enda will come on the show and refute that allegation so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Enda is in hiding.

The only time I see him is climbing C/Patrick.......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

jeez it was brutal appealing to the husband like that

Surely his religious beliefs forms the basis of his political cowardice and poor judgement i.e. that he is anti-choice.

The church still exerts plenty of control over government in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Surely his religious beliefs forms the basis of his political cowardice and poor judgement i.e. that he is anti-choice.

It is more complicated than that. Pro-Life views extend far beyond members of the Catholic Church. And many agnostics and atheists would class themselves as anti-choice.

And to be fair to Enda Kenny, he has spoken out against the Catholic Church in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

It is more complicated than that. Pro-Life views extend far beyond members of the Catholic Church. And many agnostics and atheists would class themselves as anti-choice.

And to be fair to Enda Kenny, he has spoken out against the Catholic Church in the past.

This is the grey area the politicians (all parties) are afraid to face up to.

I don't see any massive change in the near future.

Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

It's the insidious indoctrination that is at the root of the problem.
    Anyone hear Olivia O'Leary on Drivetime on Tuesday evening?

But his views on this probably come from his Catholic beliefs. So his own judgement on this is being influenced by his religion.

Whilst he criticised the Catholic Church, he pointed out that he was speaking "as a Catholic" when he made that speech.

I wouldn't underestimate the influence of Catholicism in many of our TDs, particularly those in FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Bodhran

The church still exerts plenty of control over government in this country.

For example...?

Bodhran wrote: »
    For example...?

Abortion laws, the education system, hospitals, a prayer said in the Dail etc.

• Advertisement

Bodhran wrote: »
    For example...?
    Our bull**** divorce rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement