Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

coolhull wrote: »
    Did she at any stage say she wanted abortion on demand? Maybe you could supply evidence for your silly statement. If not.... well you know what to do

Yes she did actually on VB, not the last time but the time before it.

In UK 8 million babies have been aborted since 1967 law passed. They started off saying it would only be in limited circumstances approx 1100 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

In UK 8 million babies have been aborted since 1967 law passed. They started off saying it would only be in limited circumstances approx 1100 a year.

Women getting to choose what to do with their own bodies. What's wrong with that?

Fair enough if you don't agree with abortion yourself, but don't impose your beliefs upon (other) women.

Thats a 'case'? Again, some evidence would be appreciated

What evidence do you need, a baby can be terminated at 24 weeks in UK and babies have lived at 24 weeks.

Some MPs have called for 24 weeks to be reduced two 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

''Not the last time but the time before it.''
    If you want to go back over your VB recordings to last June, feel free. I don't think I'll bother.

The woman's right to choose is the issue. Not some emotively pointless example.

But its a living little person, why should a woman have the right to choose to terminate it.

• Advertisement

But its a living little person, why should a woman have the right to choose to terminate it.
    Or, put another way, why should a man have the right to fertilise a woman's eggs, sometimes non-consually?

Women getting to choose what to do with their own bodies. What's wrong with that?

Fair enough if you don't agree with abortion yourself, but don't impose your beliefs upon (other) women.

Because there is a living being there. Its a person with a heartbeat and a brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

One of the things you end up noticing about these ultra pro-life types is how little they care for women, pregnancy must be carried to term no matter what. And women can forget about choice or having control of their bodies, it's womens duty to obey god's commandment to go forth and multiply no matter the risks to their health or sanity.
    What's a pro lifer. verses an ultra pro lifer

Or, put another way, why should a man have the right to fertilise a woman's eggs, sometimes non-consually?

With female consent fine without female consent jail for the b******d

Because there is a living being there. Its a person with a heartbeat and a brain.

So what should happen to women that have abortions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

It's the hypocrisy these pro lifers engage in that really annoys me .... Ms Kiley said on tonights show that any necessary treatment is available to a pregnant woman even if the know consequece is the loss of the fetus. In other words the aborting of the fetus ... but using a euphemism makes it all OK & they are happy on their moral high ground. We know exactly what is going to happen but we pretend we don't.
    Typical cowardly Irish solution!:eek:

Same way as we have Irish women travelling to UK every day for abortions but we all pretend they are going for a bit of shopping.

So what should happen to women that have abortions?

That's not for me to judge, We have all done things that we probably shouldn't have.

That's not for me to judge, We have all done things that we probably shouldn't have.

But surely you are judging them if you believe women shouldn't be allowed to have abortions. What should happen to the women who do this??

And what would be your opinion on what a judge should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

Callan57 wrote: »
    It's the hypocrisy these pro lifers engage in that really annoys me .... Ms Kiley said on tonights show that any necessary treatment is available to a pregnant woman even if the know consequece is the loss of the fetus. In other words the aborting of the fetus ... but using a euphemism makes it all OK & they are happy on their moral high ground. We know exactly what is going to happen but we pretend we don't.
    Typical cowardly Irish solution!:eek:

Same way as we have Irish women travelling to UK every day for abortions but we all pretend they are going for a bit of shopping.

She made a quite good distinction between miscarriage and abortion. With miscarriage the intention is to save the life of the mother regardless of what happens the foetus. With abortion the goal is the death/demise of the foetus i.e. the survival of the foetus is a failed abortion. Way too subtle for Claire Daly.

She (Kiely) was by far the most impressive of the panel including VB who, for once, showed some balance.

Good loser wrote: »
    She made a quite good distinction between miscarriage and abortion. With miscarriage the intention is to save the life of the mother regardless of what happens the foetus. With abortion the goal is the death/demise of the foetus i.e. the survival of the foetus is a failed abortion. Way too subtle for Claire Daly.

She (Kiely) was by far the most impressive of the panel including VB who, for once, showed some balance.

The intention is irrelevant - unless you think your god will be happy with this.

If the foetus is terminated, then that's abortion, regardless of the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Good loser wrote: »

How very jesuitical :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I thought the Kiely lady was a complete nutter, and was just dismayed at her level of ignorance. Its hard to believe she is a pediatrician.
    When Alison O' Connor raised the issue about the lady with terminal cancer who was refused an abortion by the ethics committee in one of the hospitals here, she just fobbed her off. I think the case she was referring to was Michelle Harte who was receiving treatment for cancer when she became pregnant.

The doctors thought the ethics committee would approve the abortion since her condition was so serious, in the end she had to apply for a passport go to the UK get an abortion. She has since died.

O Connor argued that she was so gravely ill she needed the abortion and Kiely's line well 'neither was it going to do her any harm' , what a lunatic!!
    She obviously doesn't have kids or if she does they must be adopted, because she really hasn't a clue what pregnancy does to a womans body.

AoC then explained that the woman in question was on a medical trial receiving drugs from a drugs company to fight the cancer. When she got pregnant she had to come off the trial.
    Kiely comes out with the line so the rules of the drug company meant she couldn't take the drugs because of pregnancy. I couldn't believe my ears!! even the dogs in the street know you can't participate in medical trials if you are pregnant.

Imagine if they had to allow her to continue taking the drugs while pregnant, she could have had a baby with two heads and god knows what else and then the company would face a lawsuit.

Its hard enough to watch someone die of cancer, but if somebody is dying of cancer and pregnant, how she can sit there and justify the need for her to continue with a pregnancy is beyond me.

I've seen this quote from George Carlin on a few different threads on the abortion v pro life debate
    Boy, these conservatives are really something, aren’t they? They’re all in favor of the unborn. They will do anything for the unborn. But once you’re born, you’re on your own.
    Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don’t want to know about you. They don’t want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you’re pre-born, you’re fine; if you’re preschool, you’re ****ed" "

Its so damn true - obsessed with unborn but once its out they couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

The intention is irrelevant - unless you think your god will be happy with this.

If the foetus is terminated, then that's abortion, regardless of the intention.

I don't think so. If a foetus is dead or dying and is removed that is not an abortion.

You presume I am against abortion and that I have a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Micheal Martin is on with Vinny at the moment discussing Fianna Fáil's future.

Fianna Fail moves eight points clear of Sinn Fein while Martin most popular.

Fianna Fail have moved eight points clear of Sinn Fein, while Micheal Martin is the most popular leader in the country, according to a poll in today's Sunday Times.

Mr Martin's satisfaction ratings of 42 per cent are ahead of Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny on 41 per cent, and Gerry Adams on 40 per cent.

The poll shows signs of a recovery in Fianna Fail's fortunes. Mr Martin is now the most popular leader in the country and his party has increased its support by 6 per cent since last September.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fianna-fail-moves-eight-points-clear-of-sinn-fein-while-martin-most-popular-3296839.html

Jaysus, what is wrong with people in this country? Some seem to have forgotten that it was FF who got us into the unholy mess we are currently in :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The only reason Fianna Fáil are doing so well in the opinion polls is because of the fact that people have become so disillusioned with the performance of Labour and Fine Gael, and the lies they spun to get elected. Kenny and Gilmore only have themselves to blame for the rise in popularity of Fianna Fáil.

Martin was Health Minister for a few years and didn't bother to deal with the X Case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Great question there by VB.

"FF are the most corrupt party in the history of the state, how can the electorate trust you again" ?

Predictable reply by MM. FF would really be in the shít if the shinners weren't around to take up some of the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

@ harry angstrom

which is pretty much the plan.

that way the merry go around of FF/FG/LAB goes on unabated and nowt changes in this country.

watch this space, the feckers will be back in power within 10yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Martin was Health Minister for a few years and didn't bother to deal with the X Case.
    The only positive contribution he made as Minister for Health was to introduce the smoking ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The pro-choicers don't know enough about the details of the Savita case either but it hasn't stopped them from having a strong opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

Incredible to think that FF are moving back up in the polls, really incredible, sickening really, considering the colossal damage they inflicted on this nation. "In Terms Of Martin" is on now. I find "In Terms Of Martin" to be really unimpressive. Jesus Christ, he annoys me. If he says "In Terms of" once in any given interview, he must say it 100 times.

MM wriggling like hell to avoid giving a straight answer on the abortion issue

The pro-choicers don't know enough about the details of the Savita case either but it hasn't stopped them from having a strong opinion on it.

Because the X Case has never been dealt with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The only positive contribution he made as Minister for Health was to introduce the smoking ban.

I'll second that. In fairness to him, that was a great piece of legislation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement