Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Why does Ciara Conway keep saying she was a social worker, we get it love;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,661 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

vicwatson wrote: »
    No one has brought up this -

http://www.oco.ie/policy-and-research/areas-of-work/constitutional-referendum.html

The Ombudsman for Children has been asking for Constitutional Change for Children's right since 2005.

We were promised this to happen in 2012 by the Fine Gael Government and alas we have a Fiscal Treaty Referndum before this one - therein lies the problem.

I'm 100% in favour of childrens rights but what happens when an out of control, drug abusing and violent 16 year old starts assaulting his parents which results in his arrest and a Children's Court appearance and is then released because there is nowhere to put him ? He gets the impression, and rightly so, that nothing can be done with him and then escalates his violence in a similar situation. I have seen lads smashing up their own home and neighbour's windows, car windows etc because they knew that there were no repercussions. I am of the opinion that HSE Case Conferences and Care Plans are cosmetic exercises to attempt to frighten and control young lads/lassies but they soon see through these plans and just get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Where oh where are the left this week? Rich Boy, Clare Daly, Joe Higgins??? Are they all in hiding cos of the Mick Wallace story..

bee_keeper wrote: »
    stick them in some kind of institution - juvenille detention centre , bypass the social workers industry , let the guards bring them to court direct , social workers are nothing but a means for the bleeding heart liberal brigade to maximise employment , they dont actually do anything bar utter empty platitudes to distraught parents while wearing their best meryl streep face

I agree with you again to a point but I have seen very troubled teens being detained in adult psychiatric units because there was nowhere else for them and this is hardly fair either. Oberstown & Trinity House, St. Michaels, St Pat's and Ballydowd are all chocker-block. Young people need to be helped and controlled at an earlier age before they get out of control and their parents need to take actions instead of going on T.V. shows blaming everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Getting tired of Vinny's glossing over Mick Wallace's problems because he's fond of him.
    IIRC he had a bit in the SBP recently dismissing it as trivial.
    Vinny's has feet of clay afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Where oh where are the left this week? Rich Boy, Clare Daly, Joe Higgins??? Are they all in hiding cos of the Mick Wallace story..

Mick Wallace, the private property developer who doesn't pay tax is somehow on the left? When did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They're all in Poland/Ukraine watching the Euro Championships - destressing y'know:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

jimmyw wrote: »
    Why does Ciara Conway keep saying she was a social worker, we get it love;)

being a social worker is PR gold among a liberal audience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

bee_keeper wrote: »
    stick them in some kind of institution - juvenille detention centre , bypass the social workers industry , let the guards bring them to court direct , social workers are nothing but a means for the bleeding heart liberal brigade to maximise employment , they dont actually do anything bar utter empty platitudes to distraught parents while wearing their best meryl streep face

I've often wondered about them. Don't know any and have no great knowledge of how much they do.

Would expect it's very hard to control unruly/violent teenagers. In all circumstances guess it must be either the carrot or stick.

There is always bound to be losers. Has UK a better system?

I'm 100% in favour of childrens rights but what happens when an out of control, drug abusing and violent 16 year old starts assaulting his parents which results in his arrest and a Children's Court appearance and is then released because there is nowhere to put him ? He gets the impression, and rightly so, that nothing can be done with him and then escalates his violence in a similar situation. I have seen lads smashing up their own home and neighbour's windows, car windows etc because they knew that there were no repercussions. I am of the opinion that HSE Case Conferences and Care Plans are cosmetic exercises to attempt to frighten and control young lads/lassies but they soon see through these plans and just get worse.

case conference and other talking shops exist to maximise employment on a case and to get as much time out of the gig as possible , they have no interest in tackling the issue head on in a practical straightforward manner , that would be alien to the kind of culture which exists in the HSE

no , professional hand ringing is the order of the day , if they werent so self satisfied with themselves , it might be less hard to swallow , regardless of disastrous outcomes like we see revealed today , they retain a smug self important glow , a shameless bunch if ever their was one

• Advertisement

I agree with you again to a point but I have seen very troubled teens being detained in adult psychiatric units because there was nowhere else for them and this is hardly fair either. Oberstown & Trinity House, St. Michaels, St Pat's and Ballydowd are all chocker-block. Young people need to be helped and controlled at an earlier age before they get out of control and their parents need to take actions instead of going on T.V. shows blaming everyone else.

fully agree about the parents needing to get their parenting act together but if were spending big money on liberal vanity projects like a social worker industry , we would need better results , personally i believe if every social workers in the country was sacked tommorrow , no one would notice , i firmly believe social workers to be a faux liberal creation who,s role is utterly pointless , the country is full of unemployed ham actors who would happily feign sympath to some dysfunctional family in west dublin for half the money , whats not to like , no clearly defined role or responsibility and no chance of being placed in the dock should anything go wrong , plus you get to be lauded by liberals who view you as some kind of secular saint

Good loser wrote: »
    I've often wondered about them. Don't know any and have no great knowledge of how much they do.

Would expect it's very hard to control unruly/violent teenagers. In all circumstances guess it must be either the carrot or stick.

There is always bound to be losers. Has UK a better system?

joe duffy was once a social worker and it shows

my life is in bits joe

joe = terrible terrible

not too hard is it

let me rephrase , joe duffy still is a social worker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again.. How much does Fergus Finlay earn from Barnardos... It's important if he's gonna come on here pontificating to us, it should be made public... He's like Tom Parlon, a hired gun...
    Seems to be about 100k

M cebee wrote: »
    Seems to be about 100k

A lot of people have been asking on the politics forums and couldnt get a figure. Where did you get that figure, Mc...

Dan Boyle is looking very old.. That hard life on the road, gigging your sh1t album, must be tough on a person..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

For a minute there I didn't even recognise Dan Boyle without the glasses.

I suppose the euro crisis is being discussed tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dan Boyle!!!!!
    Get ta fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

A lot of people have been asking on the politics forums and couldnt get a figure. Where did you get that figure, Mc...

Dan Boyle is looking very old.. That hard life on the road, gigging your sh1t album, must be tough on a person..

Dan Boyle! :eek:

Knew I recognised him...his manager probably advised him to lose the glasses as they were square maaannn....

No Dublinman, Vincent has decided it's a good night to discuss something different.. i.e. all the mistakes that have been made by Governments since 2007... (and no I'm not joking, he said that in the promo)..

I see the serial debunker, Glenna Lynch is on as well.. How long before she teams up with Jim Corr.

God Dan, you're hardly trying to sell that book you're holding up to camera there are you..

F.F. trying in vain to excuse themselves from blame. Cnuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again.. How much does Fergus Finlay earn from Barnardos... It's important if he's gonna come on here pontificating to us, it should be made public... He's like Tom Parlon, a hired gun...

In 2010 and 2011, Fergus Finley earned €113,315 p.a.

BARNARDOS

Provides services to children and families in need.

Chief executive: Fergus Finlay
    Salary 2010: €113,315 (equivalent to 5th point on salary scale of HSE assistant national director).

However, net cost to Barnardos is €88,000 because the chief executive contributes a minimum of €25,000 a year from fees earned through board memberships, speaking engagements and writing and broadcasting.

Salary 2011: No change
    Expenses 2010: €7,900 on outgoings such as accommodation and cost of travel (including petrol) and contribution towards car maintenance (vouched — uses his own car). Mileage for 2010 was 25,000.
    Expenses 2011: N/A.
    Bonus payments: None.
    Pension entitlements: Chief executive contributes a portion of his salary to a defined contribution scheme.
    Company car: None.
    Charity income 2010: €24m.
    No of euro paid to chief executive per €1,000 of charity income: €4.70.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfgbidgbqlgb/rss2/

the businesswoman is in top form

M cebee wrote: »
    the businesswoman is in top form

Is she linked to any political party ? Not sure but don't think she is.
    No harm having a neutral on the show anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Thomas Byrne p*sses me off more than any other present member of FF. :mad::mad::mad:

He continuously appears on this show even though his lack of research each time ends up with him making wild claims and accusations, shown up by Vincent, and basically ends up looking like a complete dick.

If this is the future of Fianna Fail, I'll take it. Complete gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,044 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ex Senator Boyle tonight is doing zero favours for the Green Party. Anglo Irish was a basket case, it had zero importance to the Irish consumer, purely a builder and property speculators bank that deserved to die.

Is she linked to any political party ? Not sure but don't think she is.
    No harm having a neutral on the show anyway.
    Dunno ,
    you may have a point there

Vincent makes a charge, puts the boot in and when he is corrected (usually on the facts) he sneers and dismisses the relevance of the fact HE has introduced.

Now on 'equality'
    reaches for revolver!

Good loser wrote: »
    Vincent makes a charge, puts the boot in and when he is corrected (usually on the facts) he sneers and dismisses the relevance of the fact HE has introduced.

Now on 'equality'
    reaches for revolver!
    He's a talking head-that's their game

The Lesbian Treaty.. I must have missed that one..

• Advertisement

Ex Senator Boyle tonight is doing zero favours for the Green Party. Anglo Irish was a basket case, it had zero importance to the Irish consumer, purely a builder and property speculators bank that deserved to die.

It's size alone made it strategic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement