Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Bit off topic but some people might be interested, next Thursday the cinema in liffey valley are showing Batman Begins and Dark Knight from 11 for 5euro for both, then Rises is on at 5 friday morning. the first two finish at 4:50. Works out at 17 quid for the 3.

Tickets booked! Cant Wait :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Going to the 5 AM one in the lighthouse myself. First blockbuster I've genuinely been excited about in a while. Should be good craic at that insane hour of the morning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I just hope i dont fall asleep during that one after sitting through the other two!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just back home in Ireland now. Looks like some of my purchases made it to Ireland before me. Pretty fast delivery from Japan as (almost) always :)

stufff.jpg

Now, I just have to worry about the fact its sitting in customs :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going to the 5 AM one in the lighthouse myself. First blockbuster I've genuinely been excited about in a while. Should be good craic at that insane hour of the morning.

Dino and I will have to meet you there, should be a blast, although the all nighter sounds fantastic.

Gotta hope though that Dark Knight Rises doesn't suffer in comparison to The Dark Knight, given how superb that movie was.
    Lets hope this one doesn't suffer from Return of the Jedi syndrome, a great film but doomed to always stand in Empires shadow.
    I say great film because one can only guess of the horror unleashed if Lucas had directed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Might be fast but its damn expensive...

Bought 3 consoles for $99, shipping cost $171 - well the 2-3 months option was $70.

Might be fast but its damn expensive...

Bought 3 consoles for €99, shipping cost €171 - well the 2-3 months option was €70.

I think the postage on this lot was 50 euro and I've not got it yet but I thinks its a batch of either 50 Saturn games or 100 famicom games. Either way a fairly big box.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I was in London yesterday and took a few snaps of the Trocadero a.k.a where Segaworld used to be.

483973_3433501434136_132758445_n.jpg

165990_3433501834146_727831199_n.jpg555864_3433502154154_1163753377_n.jpg

It's pretty empty now, just a few gift shops and a café. They still have arcade cabs there though and a good number of which are sega ones.

Only place of real interest is this!

428509_3433501034126_1506821575_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I remember walking around the Troc quite anticipatively a while ago, just to bum-out on the fact they'd only got a couple of HotD/Point Blank cabs and six ruffians staring at me for looking like I was some sort of nosey tourist. I mean, imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ohh that's where Segaworld used to be? Damn...

I was only there within the last year or two myself... bought some pocki from the TokyoToys store too while I was there...

Actually let me see if I can fish something out...

YDBvU.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 The Flash

Well those are all hypotheticals, if you knew or should have known that a seller was of unsound mind or as you put it a little slow and that was why he was selling so cheaply well then you would be taking advantage, not only of them but of a trait, characteristic or limitiation of theirs which thay cannot help, Thats not something I would ever want to do or think is ok for others to do either.

But having said all that there is no indication from the adverts.ie add that any of those are the case so best of luck to everyone who got a good find.

I don't want to be seen as advocating that people rip others off or try and fleece them but you are entitled to take the advantages that come your way fairly.
    OK i am kinda new to this but found this an interesting scenario as too a principled debate between what is right and what is wrong and just interested to see what people think a seller should do in this case When they find out that something they have just sold really cheap to someone online in any case like on adverts and similar sites.

So they receive the payment and minutes later a thread is posted on the add to their error in price that they should have charged X instead of Y do they

A) Contact the purchaser and refund the money?
    B) Contact the purchaser and inform them of their new knowledge and ask for an additional payment to make up the difference.
    C) Take the hit and post the items

The only reason is as i watched The American pickers lately and they purchased some old rare hand painted posters from a guy affected by a hurricane and he was badly in need of the cash for $500 to cut a long story short and when they got them valued they sold them for $10 000 and went back and split the profits with him which I thought was fairly decent of them.

Would be interested to see what people think on it from a principled perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

So I was in London yesterday and took a few snaps of the Trocadero a.k.a where Segaworld used to be.
    love Trocadero, did you go into the Panda shop across the way? the woman let me try on the panda head but when the man was there he would't lemme :/
    and you can get Hong Kong pancakes up the stairs at a little stand, I'd mine with chocolate spread, so nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sera wrote: »
    love Trocadero, did you go into the Panda shop across the way? the woman let me try on the panda head but when the man was there he would't lemme :/
    and you can get Hong Kong pancakes up the stairs at a little stand, I'd mine with chocolate spread, so nice.

I did yeah and the shop with all the Chinese knock offs!

I did yeah and the shop with all the Chinese knock offs!
    oh at the back upstairs? there used to be a huge Doreamon statue in the shop beside it but it's gone when I came back in November, Chinatown will have to do (dat bubble tea <3) lol. What have they downstairs now? the two times I went they'd a mechanical bull and I think it was like a trampoline thing another time.

They still have the trampoline, didn't see the bull just some arcade cabs!

didn't see the bull
    they weren't there together so that must have been August it was there, wish I took a video of the ones on it, falling off the other side before it even started :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just back home in Ireland now.

That was quick! You must be in bits? It is our 4th day here in Japan now and this morning is the first time since we got here that I genuinely got a full kip and lost the jetlag.

Justin feckin whatshisface was on that morning show again today. Loads of news about the panda dying at Tokyo Zoo, oh and last night on the Tokyo MX TV channel, there was some TV show called Blue River (?) where it basically features these two lads who visit somewhere in Japan and get ****faced then the show ends.

That is it. That is all they do. :confused:

They went on an all night pub crawl to 33 different bars and got shots and cocktails in every single one. I'd be absolutely decimated after a third of that amount. Sounds like a show Armand Van Halen would love.

EDIT: I just looked it up there, this is the show, I think http://www.inutane.com/

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That was quick! You must be in bits? It is our 4th day here in Japan now and this morning is the first time since we got here that I genuinely got a full kip and lost the jetlag.

Yeah, pretty tired right now and I'm off to London in the morning for a few hours to see about grabbing some tasty retro gear from a seller over there. Then back to Dublin and hopefully make a showing of Prometheus before it leaves every cinema in Dublin. I don't suffer jet lag as I don't sleep much anyway so it's not so bad.

Then its chill to the max for the weekend. Might get some of this retro stock together and stick it up on eBay to make a start on my new seller account. My rating is at zero as its a new account so I need to build that up a bit before anyone will take me seriously.

Did you find that Jap whiskey store, Takashimaya Nihonbashi?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah, pretty tired right now and I'm off to London in the morning for a few hours to see about grabbing some tasty retro gear from a seller over there. Then back to Dublin and hopefully make a showing of Prometheus before it leaves every cinema in Dublin. I don't suffer jet lag as I don't sleep much anyway so it's not so bad.

Then its chill to the max for the weekend. Might get some of this retro stock together and stick it up on eBay to make a start on my new seller account. My rating is at zero as its a new account so I need to build that up a bit before anyone will take me seriously.

Did you find that Jap whiskey store, Takashimaya Nihonbashi?

Send on a link to your seller account or one of your listings when you start putting them up please Steve. Got those two 3ds game today, thanks. Also hope The transfer comes through soon.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Send on a link to your seller account or one of your listings when you start putting them up please Steve. Got those two 3ds game today, thanks. Also hope The transfer comes through soon.

I wont have anything particularly exciting up for sale for a little while but you're more than welcome to keep an eye on things if you like.

I've a basic "coming soon" landing page up with the various links and a forum/blog up as well. No real content yet and it's a work in progress but I just have them there to play around with and get ready for when I actually need them in the future.
    http://www.gadunky.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The Flash wrote: »
    OK i am kinda new to this but found this an interesting scenario as too a principled debate between what is right and what is wrong and just interested to see what people think a seller should do in this case When they find out that something they have just sold really cheap to someone online in any case like on adverts and similar sites.

So they receive the payment and minutes later a thread is posted on the add to their error in price that they should have charged X instead of Y do they

A) Contact the purchaser and refund the money?
    B) Contact the purchaser and inform them of their new knowledge and ask for an additional payment to make up the difference.
    C) Take the hit and post the items

The only reason is as i watched The American pickers lately and they purchased some old rare hand painted posters from a guy affected by a hurricane and he was badly in need of the cash for $500 to cut a long story short and when they got them valued they sold them for $10 000 and went back and split the profits with him which I thought was fairly decent of them.

Would be interested to see what people think on it from a principled perspective.

I think a seller in that position has no grounds to do anything but post the items, they weren't deceived in anyway and a deal is a deal.

As for the American Pickers thing, I think its great that they did something like that, really really decent of them to help out someone who was in trouble. In fairness though that's a really extreme example, the guy was a hurricane survivor, there was almost $10,000 worth of profit and they were making a TV show! I think in a scenario like that someone would have to be pretty cold hearted to just trouser the profits and keep them for themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does anyone know a good application for PSP that can rip UMDs to the memory card? Preferibly one that doesn't need custum firmware. Think it's time to stop trusting the Sony laser in my PSP-1000, I got far more use out of it than any other Sony laser product without it failing!

Metal Slug 3 just popped up in the iOS and Android app stores :)
    Not sure how well it'll play with yucky onscreen controls but I'll give it a go.
    €5.49 on iOS(universal app for iPhone and iPad) and €5.97 on Android.

b_appstore02.jpg b_googleplay02.jpg

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/metalslug3/english/index.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

An Post have reached a new low for me. Came home to find a package in one of those plastic bags that An Post use for packages damaged in transit. Uh oh, I have two games arriving that are bare carts.

Inside the bag is a jiffy bag that looks like it's been bukakked, covered in white slime. So I open it up and am hit with an overpowering bang of detergent and synthetic strawberry. At least the postal workers weren't playing soppy biscuit with it.

So I open the jiffy bag up and find that a copy of Super Mario Land 3D, luckily the slime didn't penetrate the jiffy bag but the box is crushed and broken.

So my question, is it worth my while ringing or sending a letter of complaint or am I just wasting my time? Thought I got a bargain with mario 3D land but it's worth significantly less now. And my hands smell like lip balm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not sure how well it'll play with yucky onscreen controls but I'll give it a go.

Have given up try to play on touchscreen, just too inaccurate and messy. Which is why I'm looking forward to Ouya :)

Have given up try to play on touchscreen, just too inaccurate and messy. Which is why I'm looking forward to Ouya :)

Yeah, at first I wasnt interested in Ouya but after looking into a bit more I think it's a great idea and I hope it goes well for them.
    They certainly hit their target anyway and still lots of time left.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Came home to find a package in one of those plastic bags that An Post use for packages damaged in transit. Uh oh, I have two games arriving that are bare carts.
    it's strange, I just got a pair of tackies and the package was ripped open at the top, luckily the seller put it in a plastic bag as well :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Xperia play. That is all....
    (pity it looks like sony have pretty much abandoned it ..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Xperia play. That is all....
    (pity it looks like sony have pretty much abandoned it ..)

Really shoulda picked one of those up when they flogged them off cheap :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement