Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Typing of the Dead, Speccy edition!

Good times,
    Tau Ceti was amazing, as was the Speccy edition of Mercenary and Elite.
    Academy, Tau Ceti 2, was pretty brilliant also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Can someone tell me all the hardware required for 10 player bomberman on the Saturn?
    A Saturn I know and 10 pads and a big TV or projector. But what variation of multitaps work on the game? The only ones I see are the 6 player taps of various brands. Is 10 player the max or can it go to "ludicrous speed" and allow 12 players? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    Can someone tell me all the hardware required for 10 player bomberman on the Saturn?
    A Saturn I know and 10 pads and a big TV or projector. But what variation of multitaps work on the game? The only ones I see are the 6 player taps of various brands. Is 10 player the max or can it go to "ludicrous speed" and allow 12 players? :eek:

All multitaps are the 6 player variety. You'll need two of them and 10 controllers. Also RGB is a must so you can actually see what is happening on the screen.

Was HiTen Bomberman ever dumped?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Was HiTen Bomberman ever dumped?

Not to my knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if it there was only about 10 or less machines or even just the 1 because they toured with it. I have also heard though that the saturn version is actually a conversion of HiTen bomberman.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And, Rubadub, you are not comparing like with like.
    An OEM PC components business are nothing like the consumer electronics the 3DS belongs to.
    I was not try to compare them in that example/post, I even mentioned spices to show it was not direct. My initial direct comparison was phones (possibly) not being shipped with chargers.

When I mentioned unboxed components etc it was more in response to this comment.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Someone would want to be pretty deluded to believe the exclusion of a charger will make the 3DS XL cheaper,
    Which was suggesting the exclusion of a charger would NOT result in a cheaper product. I was listing various products where the exclusion of items does result in lower prices. e.g. the same shop might sell the cdwriter with IDE cables, install disc, audio connector, in a big glossy box, and they DO charge more for it, or less for the one without, whichever way you want to look at it.
    Please, someone name a device, a consumer electronic device, that is not a component of some other device, that comes without the means to power it, to operate it.
    I mentioned possibly phones, and that the marketing people put a eco spin on it.

A quick search shows nokia do it, but you have the choice, this is what I was suggesting should be done, 2 versions, one with the charger, one without. In one case, Nokia N79, they appear to have decided to charge the same price and make a donation to a ECO charity if people buy the one without. I hate this marketing tactic of forcing people to give to a charity of the companies choice.

http://nokiaexperts.com/nokia-n79-ship-charger/
    One thing that appeals to me about Nokia is their proactive belief and practices in helping preserve our world for future generations. I recently read on Nokia Users that Nokia is trying out a program where they give buyers the option to make a purchase with or without a charger. The first device to have this option is the Nokia N79 Petrol Black with the original white model having it soon as well.

The devices will be priced the same so there is no direct monetary benefit to buying a package without a charger, however £4 (about US$ ) will be donated to the WWF for each device sold without the charger. Keep in mind that those devices without a charger will also come in a smaller box and thus reduce packaging waste.

I do think nintendo are stupid not to ship with at least the usb cable, which I showed costs pittance on dealextreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'm surprised there isn't EU legislation against this. Nintendo is selling a packaged product that is not fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's probably too late not to labour the point but at least a lousy USB cable acts as a means to charge the phone.
    There is no USB port on a 3DS, the only way to charge is via a charger.

So the Nokia comes with a means to charge, sucks it doesn't come with a proper charger as standard but, as you say, you can choose to buy a variant that comes with a charger included.
    Nintendo do not afford you such a choice.

And that, as we can agree, is lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You can buy a 3rd party 3DS charger for absolutely nothing. Here's one for about 2 euro.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mains-Charger-AC-Adapter-For-Nintendo-3DS-DSi-DS-i-NDSI-Games-9131-/150819212403?pt=UK_Chargers_Docks&hash=item231d868c73

So manufacturing cost must be far less as those sellers are still making a profit.

Therefore it would seem to me that including a charger at a very minimal cost is better than not doing so and ending up with angry customers..?

• Advertisement

HiTen Bomberman was originally just a tech demo that Hudson used on the Caravan tours in the early 90's. Personally I'd have been with the lads and lasses playing Star Soldier even though I adore (and collect) Bomberman stuff!

I would dearly love one of those little yellow Hudson Caravan controllers released for the Famicom. I think it was only handed out at Caravan events. You can buy a replica today but it only counts your button presses and is not a controller.

Just in Gamestop this afternoon, trade in your 3ds, plus a selected 3ds game to get a 3ds:XL for €100.
    If they will facilitate the transfer of all my purchases and games onto the new machine I might just do it.
    I must enquire via fb if they will allow that.
    Otherwise, buy a cheap 3ds game from adverts and go for it!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Therefore it would seem to me that including a charger at a very minimal cost is better than not doing so and ending up with angry customers..?

If nintendo could save $0.10 per machine made they'd go that route. When you are selling multiple millions it all adds up. In this case Nintendo's research and marketing department probably drew up a chart that showed customer satisfaction versus cost saved and the shareholders were all for it since it looked like profits and decided to test it in 2 markets. Their marketing research department all deserve slaps and I hope they all have to deal with crying children when they get them a 3DS XL at christmas and little Timmy has no way to play his games.

Of course those muppets all have college degrees and no experience of the videogame industry and won't remember how the Sega Saturn lost a lot of ground in Europe when it came with RGB scart as standard at a time when only new top of the range TVs supported RGB scart and a lot of people have to fork out for composite and RF cables.... despite the fact Sega was doing them a favour :)

Just of the phone with GS and, once you permit them to open your 3ds XL they will transfer all of your purchases over.
    Which is nice.
    Chargers are a tenner I was told.
    Not sure if that's an official one or a spurious own brand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Eh 100 quid and a game is a bit much. I was hoping for something closer too 50. I guess I'll make do with my normal 3DS and maybe save up to get an american xl for imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's probably too late not to labour the point but at least a lousy USB cable acts as a means to charge the phone.
    There is no USB port on a 3DS, the only way to charge is via a charger.
    The N79 has a micro-usb connection (the very common one), but it seems it cannot be charged using it.
    http://www.unwiredview.com/2008/11/08/nokia-n79-review/
    the only difference there is between these two handsets is that the Nokia N85 can charge through USB, it’s obvious that the N79 gives the most bang for your buck.

I know some devices need more power than a bog standard USB can output.

Though there is a nokia cable to charge via USB, (not using micro-usb)
    http://www.handhelditems.com/nokia-short-charging-cable-p-29136.html
    accshousbN9.jpg

This is the the type of thing I was suggesting Nintendo should at least include. A usb to "non standard" charging cable. I linked to some nintendo ones earlier on dealextreme

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-charging-cable-for-nintendo-3ds-100cm-110857?item=2
    sku_110857_1.jpg
    Dirt cheap

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If nintendo could save $0.10 per machine made they'd go that route. When you are selling multiple millions it all adds up....
    Their marketing research department all deserve slaps and I hope they all have to deal with crying children when they get them a 3DS XL at christmas and little Timmy has no way to play his games.
    Yeah, you can see examples of this "mulitplied by a million, wow we save millions" mentality all the time. A bunch of accountants sitting in a room and not seeing what really goes as a result of their cost saving schemes. I think I heard on the radio something about nurses not getting free teabags anymore, "save thousands", I just pictured loads of disgruntled nurses, is it really worth it. Or cheapo airlines saying "we can cram 4 more seats on this plane, more profit" but the accountancy excel spreadsheet will reveal not calculate all the customers who will never use the airline again because of lack of room. Real "computer says no" stuff, no foresight or common sense.

Just of the phone with GS and, once you permit them to open your 3ds XL they will transfer all of your purchases over.
    Which is nice.
    Chargers are a tenner I was told.
    Not sure if that's an official one or a spurious own brand one.

You'll get the same third party charger cheaper in Argos that GS sell. The one Argos sells also charges other versions of the DS, 3DS and the PSP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm thinking of going the jap route for a 3ds Xl. Although I'd like to get a special edition one like the Pokemon dsi or zelda 3ds.

I'm thinking of going the jap route for a 3DS LL

FYP. :)

Me too. I think an NTSC-J LL works better for me. Either that or the Vita...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So what you're saying is a PAL standard 3DS and then an NTSC J one for Jap exclusives.

Hmmm. That would be a legit reason to buy a 3DSXL.

Kinda want one now. Damn you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm happy to stick with the one that fits in my pocket for the moment. The 'XL' selling point of the larger DS models is actually the very thing that turns me off them.

o1s1n wrote: »
    So what you're saying is a PAL standard 3DS and then an NTSC J one for Jap exclusives.

Hmmm. That would be a legit reason to buy a 3DSXL.

Kinda want one now. Damn you!

Don't think there's going to be many jap exclusives. US exclusives though, there'll be loads if Aksys, Xseed and Atlus's output on the DS is anything to go by. There's sure to be PAL exclusives later but I can wait for those.

Also $35 for a new game. 45 angela merkel tokens for a new game in europe.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't think there's going to be many jap exclusives.

Isn't Kokuga NTSC-J only? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm happy to stick with the one that fits in my pocket for the moment. The 'XL' selling point of the larger DS models is actually the very thing that turns me off them.

Anything that helps with the pain of the 3ds hand works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

songs okay but that's IMO, the video is amazing though

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Isn't Kokuga NTSC-J only? :confused:

Well games I'm interested in :P although a new G.Rev shooter always tickles my fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I think a I'll be going with a US one as a secondary one. Japanese-exclusive DS games are great but there were far more US releases that I picked up, mainly for RPGs. Any news on Soul Hackers seeing an EU release? Will pick up a US 3DS in a few weeks if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

ghostchant wrote: »
    I think a I'll be going with a US one as a secondary one. Japanese-exclusive DS games are great but there were far more US releases that I picked up, mainly for RPGs. Any news on Soul Hackers seeing an EU release? Will pick up a US 3DS in a few weeks if not.

You won't hear anything on a european release until it's out in america.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I thought as much, that's usually the way. I'll be in Japan when it's released there, hoping I don't lose my mind and buy it there and have no realistic way of playing it, Japanese 3DS or not

• Advertisement

Nearly there lads and lassies, nearly there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement