Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

God damn it!! Justin Bieber is in Tokyo :(:(:mad::mad:
    Time to leave me thinks.

You can deal with his presence Pyongy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

@StevenEmmanuelle: We must be watching the same morning TV show!? He was just on that morning show that had a feature on the Tokyo Sky Tree and a Russian woman who makes dresses out of men's shirts.

I said SHIRTS. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Oh and before I forget, where can I buy this stuff Steven Emmanuelle?

Is Japan like Canada, they have LCBO stores etc? I love a nice scotch, bourbon etc so would like to bring a bottle back with me. :)

9568.jpg

Pyongyang wrote: »
    @StevenEmmanuelle: We must be watching the same morning TV show!? He was just on that morning show that had a feature on the Tokyo Sky Tree and a Russian woman who makes dresses out of men's shirts.

I said SHIRTS. :pac:

Yeah, I was watching some TV show while flicking around the channels and he popped up.
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    Oh and before I forget, where can I buy this stuff Steven Emmanuelle?

Is Japan like Canada, they have LCBO stores etc? I love a nice scotch, bourbon etc so would like to bring a bottle back with me. :)

9568.jpg

You'll want to grab a bottle of Karuizawa Whisky then as well :)
    I no expert on these things but I did grab some Suntory single cask in Takashimaya Nihonbashi for about 100 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apparently you can easily get the karaoke booth from Lost in Translation. It's in Shibuya somewhere, place called Karaoke Kan. One thing I always meant to try but I was the only hardcore LiT fan :( Ended up in the nightclub (not the lapdancing one :pac:) from the film by accident though. One of my giddier hipster moments.

"THAT'S BILL MURRAY'S CHAIR!!!???!!!!!111!!?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Includes the special 'golden' versions of Mario All Stars and Donkey Kong :P

Frantic commenting underneath is worthy of a chuckle.

Its times like these I wish boards had a puke smiley :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah here, couldn't help post. If he let Terranigma go for a tenner that is beyond sickening!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I paid 70 for it a few days ago and that was cheap! I see the first posts the guy is picking up all the rare stuff. Illusion of Time, Secret of Evermore, LttP and Terranigma and another game for a 40. I'd say your man is laughing all the way to his ebay account.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah here, couldn't help post. If he let Terranigma go for a tenner that is beyond sickening!

Seller should have done his homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If the seller is unaware of the 'value' and flogs them cheap then I whole hearty endorse this - can't be complain about people who charge too much and people who let stuff go cheaply !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Some of them games look like they have been to Barbados.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

safetyboy wrote: »
    Some of them games look like they have been to Barbados.

For the price I wouldn't complain.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If the seller is unaware of the 'value' and flogs them cheap then I whole hearty endorse this - can't be complain about people who charge too much and people who let stuff go cheaply !!

You know, I always thought this. Laughed my arse off at getting bargains. (sure that's the whole reason I use ebay)

But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to adverts. If someone lists something they dont know is valuable on ebay, it'll still sell for a good price usually as the world can see it. If you get a bargain there, the world saw the item but didn't pay big money. It's fair.

When listed on adverts though and you see the vultures circling, unbeknown to the OP, it just looks like their innocence is being taken advantage of and robbed.

Fair enough, picking up a Snes for 15 quid when they're worth 40 or so is one thing - but a 70 euro rare game for a tenner?

Maybe the guy is only selling it because he's hard up, under a load of bills or is about to have his house taken away.

Okay that's me being dramatic and soft, but you know what I mean! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

ah just as a seller need only disclose information he is asked for (without being misleading of course) so a buyer need not tell a seller how much he would be prepared to pay for something.

Its a simple lesson really, if you want to maximize profits always know what you are selling.

Master of the Universe

Yeah but what if the seller isn't of sound mind?

What if the OP in that thread is a little slow?

What if a 90 year old woman offers you a BMW for a tenner?

There's a difference between getting a good deal and ripping someone off.

I have a good throwback to when I was a kid over this one. A friend of mine swapped me an Optimus Prime Transformer (it was amazing) for 1 Turtles card. 1 damn card! - I thought I'd hit the deal of a lifetime.

Ran inside to show my granny what my skills had just acomplished - she was horrified and made me go give it back.

I was majorly pissed off and didn't understand.

Kinda get what she was getting at now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Out of curiosity what are you thoughts on the situation when an item is misspelled on ebay, eluding the standard search function? Presumably the 'world' didn't necessarily see the item in that case and the seller risks getting ripped off. Fair game?

Master of the Universe

Hadn't thought about that much. I used to use that tactic quite a bit back when I didn't really give a damn about the person on the receiving end.

It's all down to your own personal ethics really. I'm not lambasting anyone for their dealings - do what you will.

Just lately I feel that if I'm in a situation where I have knowledge to help someone out with a deal or save them some money I'd like to do so.

Similarly, if I saw something way overpriced and some poor sod about to drop money on it I'd do the same.

• Advertisement

There's also the possibility that the seller just didn't want to profit from what they had. Maybe they got them cheap years ago and decided to pass on a bargain to someone else.

I know I've sold things before at mad cheap prices knowing they were worth a lot more, usually to you fine peeps here. But to be honest I'm less inclined to put up bargains on adverts these days as some of the people on there as just a$$h*&es and don't deserve any such bargain.
    I like to think I have a good business mind but it's not always about the money for me, and I'm not completely alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its impossible to know if the seller is of sound mind or a kid selling his dads collection to buy fags without meeting them first.

Now, if you meet them and can obviously see something is wrong or suspect stolen goods then its really you're call on it. Be honest and miss out on a bargain or be a profiteering git ? I'd like to think I'd know which one I'd be.

But online only purchases: you want X or it ? Ok here's X now post it...

Any BMW is way overpriced at a tenner - dirty robbing old lady..

I have a good throwback to when I was a kid over this one. A friend of mine swapped me an Optimus Prime Transformer (it was amazing) for 1 Turtles card. 1 damn card! - I thought I'd hit the deal of a lifetime.

Ran inside to show my granny what my skills had just acomplished - she was horrified and made me go give it back.

I was majorly pissed off and didn't understand.

Kinda get what she was getting at now though.

Well those are all hypotheticals, if you knew or should have known that a seller was of unsound mind or as you put it a little slow and that was why he was selling so cheaply well then you would be taking advantage, not only of them but of a trait, characteristic or limitiation of theirs which thay cannot help, Thats not something I would ever want to do or think is ok for others to do either.

But having said all that there is no indication from the adverts.ie add that any of those are the case so best of luck to everyone who got a good find.

I don't want to be seen as advocating that people rip others off or try and fleece them but you are entitled to take the advantages that come your way fairly.

I think its fairly clear he didn't no the value of the carts. Its not only Terranigma, the other 3 games aren't exactly cheap either. If a collector ended up getting them, that would be cool, but I'd say alot of the vultures on adverts will re-sell them for massive profit

nuxxx wrote: »
    I think its fairly clear he didn't no the value of the carts. Its not only Terranigma, the other 3 games aren't exactly cheap either.

My point is that no one was obliged to pay him what they are worth, only what he wants for them.

My point is that no one was obliged to pay him what they are worth, only what he wants for them.

Yeah I agree, just hope someone decent got them =)

As someone who is in the early stages of starting a retro sales business this is something I guess I'm going to have to deal with sooner or later.
    If I see something going for a really cheap price and I know I can sell it on at a massive profit do I jump on it and profit or make the seller aware of what they have?

Business mind vs Personal beliefs, it's a tough one :o

Master of the Universe

Profiteering was touched on and I think that's the crux of what I have a problem with. If a genuine collector got them cheap from someone who knew their value and just wanted to pass them on that's great. Personally whenever I sell something on (unless it's to a reseller) I like to let it go at the price I paid.

What bothers me is when someone obviously doesn't know what something is worth (ffs Teranigma for a tenner, and that's only one of the games) and people are obviously jumping to try to scramble for it, like that scene in Batman when the Joker is throwing money on the street.

Hell, if he had it up for 30 euro I'd say fair enough - still a steal but at least he's getting more than the price of two pints.

I guess it depends on the intent of the buyer...and when it comes to adverts..well, I don't trust em.

On a side note, I received a really nice PM from the OP in that advert thanking me and he had absolutely no clue some of these games could be worth more than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Andrew76 wrote: »
    The greatest irony is he's a work colleague of mine.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The greatest irony is he's a work colleague of mine.

Tell him this is his one get out of jail free card and to do his homework in future :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement