Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    I loved the pc mods for the previous 2 games. And I actually quite enjoyed the bullet time sillyness :)

What were these mods you so speak of? The bullet time stuff had its day, & it was oddly satisfying gliding along taking out multiple bad guys with perfectly aimed headshots...these days though, I could take it or leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

This isn't really retro but I know some people here are in the know so I'll ask anyway, The 3DS fund got a major shot in the arm yesterday, so presuming that a new iteration isn't announced at E3 it looks like one is going to come into my life next week.

So my question is what are the must have games for it, both retail and eshop?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    What were these mods you so speak of? The bullet time stuff had its day, & it was oddly satisfying gliding along taking out multiple bad guys with perfectly aimed headshots...these days though, I could take it or leave it.

The mods were the best part about the game once you'd finished it. Matrix mods, Kung Fu mods, Half Life mods, zombie mods, skin packs, weapon packs, bullet time mods.
    There were and still are loads of them around.

http://www.moddb.com/games/max-payne/mods

http://www.moddb.com/games/max-payne-2/addons

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I played the games when they came out and didn't like them back then. Also thought the writing in Max Payne was awful, like a terrible graphic novel. I know that's what they were going for but without the 'terrible'. So there's not much hope for me. Also some of the complaints I heard levelled at it at HG101, like how it interrupts gameplay with cutscenes rather than the previous game were you got story bits from the conversations of the bad guys and max's monologues as you play, mean I know I'll hate this one as well so not even going to bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I got a bit of a Cho Aniki vibe off the aliens in Prometheus last night.

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »

Never, use Cho Aniki in the same sentence as the word vibe. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,434 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So my question is what are the must have games for it, both retail and eshop?

Cheers!

Sticking with purely new games and none of the ports we're seeing, these should keep you going a while -

Kid Icarus Uprising
    Marioland 3DS
    Resident Evil Revelations
    Shinobi
    Ghost Recon

Then for downloadable games on the store -

Pullblox (Absolutely brilliant game!)
    Mighty Switch Force
    Zen Pinball 3D

Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »

Can we hold off on absolutely all Prometheus talk..until I at least see it? :D

o1s1n wrote: »

Yeah, no spoilers please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, rarely has there been a film where the Internet seems to have taken itself upon to spoil everything for everyone. I don't know how I've managed to avoid it all while trying to mod the film board (my co-mod did a big clean up one day I was thankfully AFK)! But tickets booked tonight, although early feedback seems mixed.

As for LA Noire? That game seriously shows up its limits at later points, where some of the interrogations involve increasingly absurd and flawed logic, but demands you play along. Some serious storytelling shortcomings mar what is otherwise an enjoyable game with a fantastic atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Yeah, rarely has there been a film where the Internet seems to have taken itself upon to spoil everything for everyone. I don't know how I've managed to avoid it all while trying to mod the film board (my co-mod did a big clean up one day I was thankfully AFK)! But tickets booked tonight, although early feedback seems mixed.

I've been following the thread in the film forum alright, some seem very let down while others seem to have enjoyed it...albeit to nowhere near the hype levels. I knew it'd be like that, very few films these days live up to established classics...
    As for LA Noire? That game seriously shows up its limits at later points, where some of the interrogations involve increasingly absurd and flawed logic, but demands you play along. Some serious storytelling shortcomings mar what is otherwise an enjoyable game with a fantastic atmosphere.

I can see why that'd let the game down alright, I'll see what I make of it at the time. Your right re the atmosphere in it though, brilliant!

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, no spoilers please.

I think seeing the movie Alien is the biggest way to spoil this movie.

I didn't like Prometheus. But I would say that it's definitely worth seeing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote:
    I can see why that'd let the game down alright, I'll see what I make of it at the time. Your right re the atmosphere in it though, brilliant!

The problem - avoiding spoilers! - is that the game slowly reveals a more overarching storyline from early on, but for some bizarre reason remains rigidly defined by its almost episodic structure, demanding everything be wrapped up to some degree before moving on to the next mission, even when it makes no sense whatsoever. I guess it's the limits with games like that (Phoenix Wright is the same, really) but it just does an awful job at hiding it.

It's one of those games I really wanted to love because, after all, it's a very different experience to most mainstream games these days (pointless sub-missions aside). It's great seeing graphical advances used to enhance the actual gameplay rather than mere eye candy. And it at least makes an effort to tell its story in a player-instigated way. But in a funny sort of way that to me was its undoing - an experiment that wasn't quite there yet, if you will.

Still a better love story than Twilight:

6MhNd.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Twilight is a misunderstood comedy classic. Except for New Moon Part 1. That film approached being competent and for that reason it was mind numbingly boring rather than out and out hilariously bad.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Twilight is a misunderstood comedy classic. Except for New Moon Part 1. That film approached being competent and for that reason it was mind numbingly boring rather than out and out hilariously bad.

35ka14.jpg

I meant that it was competently made, the other twilight films felt like a pilot to a teen TV show in how low the production budgets were. Everything else about the film was terrible but it just wasn't terrible enough to be funny.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I meant that it was competently made, the other twilight films felt like a pilot to a teen TV show in how low the production budgets were. Everything else about the film was terrible but it just wasn't terrible enough to be funny.

No no, you've said it now, it's out in the open. Retr0 loves Twilight.

Someone make a Retr0meme before this is forgotten! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I went to see Twilight with a friend of mine, as neither of us had any idea what it was apart from it involving vampires and we were bored at the time. Started getting worried when we were the only guys in the audience, but it wasn't until Pattinson first appeared on screen and a girl behind us screamed "f*ck me!!" that we realised the enormity of our mistake...

In the right state of mind with the right friends and the right amount of alcohol/drugs, the Twilight films are great. You can Quote me on that, although I'm guessing Enternow is already in the process of misquoting me on it for a meme :)
    ghostchant wrote: »
    I went to see Twilight with a friend of mine, as neither of us had any idea what it was apart from it involving vampires and we were bored at the time. Started getting worried when we were the only guys in the audience, but it wasn't until Pattinson first appeared on screen and a girl behind us screamed "f*ck me!!" that we realised the enormity of our mistake...

You sure it wasn't your friend that screamed it?

• Advertisement

From the very little I've seen of the Twilight films and books (bits and pieces of the first movie mostly), they're just woefully incompetent. Not comically bad, just ridiculous. And disturbing in their popularity.

That said, the stuff about vampire abortions and werewolves falling in love with small children in the last book is jaw-droppingly awful and inappropriate. Some great articles online ripping the piss out of it.

Master of the Universe

I made a similar mistake. Met the girlfriend in town one day and she asked me did I want to go and see a 'Vampire film'. I thought 'sure why not, a bit of on screen blood letting and gore goes down a treat' - All the while she knew the film was some teenage girl crap but didn't tell me for the craic.

Took me a while to forgive that one :mad:

I tried getting her back with Suckerpunch. Unfortunately that one backfired and my brain has never been the same since.

A double bill of Thirst and Let the Right One In will sort your right out.

From the very little I've seen of the Twilight films and books (bits and pieces of the first movie mostly), they're just woefully incompetent. Not comically bad, just ridiculous. And disturbing in their popularity.

That said, the stuff about vampire abortions and werewolves falling in love with small children in the last book is jaw-droppingly awful and inappropriate. Some great articles online ripping the piss out of it.

To me this is the worst part about the whole thing.

Master of the Universe

People will literally listen to, watch, wear and eat **** if it's popular and others are doing it.

I find it very bizarre and hard to understand.

People will literally listen to, watch, wear and eat **** if it's popular and others are doing it.

It's ok o1s1n, you can join me in the comfort of knowing we are at least smarter than everyone who likes the Twilight movies. It's a small comfort but it helps a little ;)

Just a thought:

Have you ever considered the unassuming viewer who clicks into this forum?

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've been following the thread in the film forum alright, some seem very let down while others seem to have enjoyed it...albeit to nowhere near the hype levels. I knew it'd be like that, very few films these days live up to established classics...

Not going near any threads to do with that film. Going to see it tow and it will be brilliant. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not going near any threads to do with that film. Going to see it tow and it will be brilliant. :)

The general consensus seems to be that you should temper that excitement somewhat. As far as I can gather, the unreasonable expectations are what are disappointing in an otherwise visually impressive if narratively unambitious film.

Still, I look forward to discovering for myself in a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I tried getting her back with Suckerpunch. Unfortunately that one backfired and my brain has never been the same since.

I think I would rather wacth all of the twilight movies in one sitting than to ever look at suckerpunch again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement